Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2013   #101
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who Impressed , who didnt ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
They're white?

What do I win.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #102
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241555 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Rewatched the Minny feed...

Game balls go to:

LB Brian Braman; DT Terrell McClain; QBs TJ Yates & Case Keenum; All 3 TEs: Garrett Graham, Ryan Griffin, Jake Byrne; LG David Quessenberry; and... wait for it... T Andrew Gardner.

Extra windsprints go to WR Keshawn Martin, G Cody White, LB Trevardo Williams, CB Roc Carmichael.

I was borderline positive on Bullock, but the missed FG has to knock him down a notch. And a couple of Roc's red marks were due to no pressure leaving him in coverage too long to keep up with a young speedster.

All of this is qualified by opposing talent -- and some of Minny's 3rd stringers (D-line) were pretty bad.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #103
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

L Jean looked terrible. You can't be a receiver in the NFL if you can't catch the ball. No natural receiving skills. Move on if we have better but not NFL quality.

Roc did not look good. What is the deal with running out of bounds on punt coverage. Makes me think not too sharp. Not impressive on coverage either.

Jeff M looked bad also. Always hear how he catches everything in sight in practice. Doesn't seem to trust his hands.

Other than Andre and De I don't see much from our WR's. Hope to see more in the rest of the games.

Bullock looked just OK. I though he had a strong leg. If so then he is not consistent.

On rewatch C Wood looked pretty good. Karim should be gone. DJ sometimes danced to much but I do like his speed. Did not see enough of Graham but I like him better than Karim.

Mitchell looked great. McClain also looked good. Would like to see him against 1's. Jefferson looks interesting. Need to keep him I think.

Special teams still looked bad.

Not sure if Case tried to call TO right at end of 3rd quarter, but if he did then he is not very aware of the situation. Looking forward to seeing him against 2's. My two concerns with him are high risk passes and him getting pounded because he is not afraid to stay in pocket.

Really too early to say on the rookies. Still very interested to see rest of preseason. I think we need to see if Tate can make it a couple of games without getting hurt.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #104
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum doesn't take too many sacks in college despite seeing enormous pressure almost every week. For example when I compared him with Luck against a common opponent (UCLA), I noted that Luck saw 4 pressures (if my memory serves me right - it's still there in a college football thread - while Keenum saw 24 or so.

Another thing that I mentioned is that for a big and tall QB, Osweiler (6'7) had many batted passes while Keenum saw very few.
The guy just knows how to play football.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #105
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently he knows how to play, but peoples problem is that he doesnt give the ball enough power and "zip" to his WR in a blink of an eye

Last edited by ThaJokaa; 08-12-2013 at 12:16 AM.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #106
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Hopkins looks solid. Going to look even better with AJ on the field.
He had a good game but you know the truth is the Vikings rookie WR and 1st round pick Patterson was also very impressive. He was of course the next WR taken after Hopkins so we also had a shot at him and over the longer term it will be interesting to see which one has the better NFL career ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #107
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
He had a good game but you know the truth is the Vikings rookie WR and 1st round pick Patterson was also very impressive. He was of course the next WR taken after Hopkins so we also had a shot at him and over the longer term it will be interesting to see which one has the better NFL career ?
They're different receivers, but Patterson did look good. Much more explosive with the ball in his hands. I think both are going to be dynamic in their own right in my opinion.

Funny sidenote but both Dorin Dickerson and Da'rick Rogers scored today for Buffalo. Dickerson is shredded right now.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2013   #108
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Apparently he knows how to play, but peoples problem is that he does give the ball enough power and "zip" to his WR in a blink of an eye
That seems to be more of a rumor than actual fact. Just because Keenum doesn't break fingers on every throw doesn't mean he lacks arm strength. It means he throws a catchable ball. How do you get to be the ALL TIME leading NCAA passer and not have any zip on the ball? I guess Keenum just feasted on his weak conference for all of those yards and never had to put a ball on the spot, at the right time. He was just lobbing bombs and jump balls for all that time. If that's the case, why weren't all of his WR's and TE's drafted in the 1st 3 rounds for all of those years? Obviously they made Keenum look much better than he is. I mean he has no arm strength, can't zip the ball into tight spaces, is only accurate at short range. Those were some NFL HOF caliber receivers and TE's he was working with in order to overcome all those shortcomings. That doesn't even begin to question his height.
Old 08-11-2013   #109
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i know it's commonplace to invoke the name of drew brees when talking about a "short" quarterback, but that's exactly who keenum reminds me of. the way he moves, the eyes, the touch, the angles ... very brees like. docbar put the right word on it, case throws a very "catchable" ball regardless of distance. similarly someone said in the gameday thread that receivers are running after the catch with keenum's throws unlike you usually see even from most #1 quarterbacks. all traits that have gotten brees so far, especially movement in the pocket and accuracy.

i think schaub gives us the best chance to win this year, but i would certainly like to see keenum earn the #2 this season - and truly think he could work into the starting role next year.
Old 08-11-2013   #110
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
They're different receivers, but Patterson did look good. Much more explosive with the ball in his hands. I think both are going to be dynamic in their own right in my opinion.

Funny sidenote but both Dorin Dickerson and Da'rick Rogers scored today for Buffalo. Dickerson is shredded right now.
The way our ST performed and how the D was missing tackles, I'm glad we don't have to face them with Patterson and Peterson.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #111
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The way our ST performed and how the D was missing tackles, I'm glad we don't have to face them with Patterson and Peterson.
Special Teams maybe, but our defense played without arguably our top 4 or 5 players.ST in the 1st qtr had most of the guys who will need to contribute for us so that long return was a worry.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #112
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I haven't seen Schaub make that kind of progress either.
Srsly?
Perhaps that's because in Schaub's first two years in the league he sat behind Michael Vick in ATL so there was nothing to see. Or more accurately, there was nothing a Texans fan would have been interested in keeping track of.

Schaub was a three year vet when he got to Houston. Keenum was a rookie.

Let's compare apples to apples my friend.

With that in mind, as a vet going into his third year, Yates ought to be where Schaub was when he (Schaub) got to Houston. One could argue that Yates should be beyond where Schaub was since "he has playoff experience" and Schaub did not.

I don't see that.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #113
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
That was my point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-12-2013   #114
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Srsly?
Perhaps that's because in Schaub's first two years in the league he sat behind Michael Vick in ATL so there was nothing to see. Or more accurately, there was nothing a Texans fan would have been interested in keeping track of.

With that in mind, as a vet going into his third year, Yates ought to be where Schaub was when he (Schaub) got to Houston. One could argue that Yates should be beyond where Schaub was since "he has playoff experience" and Schaub did not.

I don't see that.

We wouldn't know where Yates is really at until he got a shot at starting. That's not likely to happen here anytime soon unless Schaub gets injured.....again

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Yates could do as good as Schaub did his first year here. But TJ has been in this system two full years already. So he has a bit of a leg up. But Schaub's first year here he played 11 games with 9 td's and 9 int's. Had he played the last 5 games he probably finishes with about 3,300 yards or so.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #115
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

And given Swearington is "just" a safety and basically a box-safety at that, we went way too far in expending a second round pick on him. I think he's a poor-mans Bernard Pollard, but smaller. He's got a mouth like Bernard but unlike Bernard he don't tackle so well. Very disappointing debut for Swearington and I don't understand the pick ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #116
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'd bet that most everyone who says that Case looked better than Yates last night would say that he looked better than Schaub as well. Yates looked fine to me, exactly like our back up QB should look.

61% completion, 7.2 ypc, 99.5 passer rating..... That's a good game for any QB if he could maintain that type of performance for 60 minutes. Listen to the guys around here, you'd think he was Tim Tebow.
No , I wouldn't say Keenum looked better than Schaub .... even in his limited snaps.

Yates looked like a backup should ?! Slippin and sliding all over the place ?!? Man , Yates footwork against the Vikes looked like a kid playing Pop Warner ball ..... Was it the shoes ? The Turf or Yates ?! (I'd like to think it was the latter).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #117
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Three things stood out for me in a positive way: Case Keenum, DeAndre Hopkins, and all those rookie undrafted RBs.

The only things I've got a real negative on is the special teams coverage and channel 13.

Noticeable meh's go to Swearinger and TJ.

One thing for sure, our bench strength is better than the Vikings. Rick Smith has been bringing in talent to this team.
This is how i felt about Swearinger as well. Excluding the missed tackle, the little i did see of him early i wasn't really all that impressed with.....If i was to compare him to the hype coming out of camp about him anyway.

Look like he had trouble wrapping guys up to me. It's just the 1st game but thus far, this guy seems to be all "swag" to me.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #118
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of Yates and Keenum talk, heh. Guess that's a good thing rather than wondering who your starter is going to be.

Quote:
Case was OK. I still like Yates better though. Yates has a bigger arm, more athletic, and just has a fire about him when he plays. Case is a younger Schaub.
Pretty off the mark here. Case is easily the most athletic between him and Yates. It's not really all that close so not sure where you got this from. And saying Case is like Schaub or shows no fire is also off the mark. It was quite visible during the game with fist pumping, kicking out, etc. Someone posted Kubiak speaking about Case's enthusiasm while playing as well.

With that said...

They were both pretty solid. I really don't see much to put one over the other in that single game. Between the two I see more upside in Case because he can adapt to a situation when things break down more as where Yates still seems a play by design guy. I still see inconsistency in going through his reads and staring down receivers that he did as a rookie. But once he settled down things got better. I see them more as 1A and 1B at this point. Both were good in this outing.

Impressed:
Cierre Wood - Did a great job of one cut then get upfield. Saw little to no hesitation in comparison to Johnson. To be fair he got better blocking too.
Earl Mitchell - I didn't have much doubt in him taking over as some but he still played even higher than I expected. But yeah preseason though still nice to see.
T. McClain - Now this I didn't expect much at all but this guy dominated those across from him. He keeps it up this will be a better NT combo than Cody/Mitchell easily.
Shiloh Keo - Surprised to add him here but he had a way of getting to the ball and being in the right spot compared to being lost in space last year. Hopefully this continues.
Eddie Pleasant - Really giving Keo a fight for that spot. He was always around the ball when on the field. That's what you want in a safety.
Braman - Good pass rush and the use of technique other than just speed.
Quessenberry - Played LG better than B. Jones rather easily. Could Mr. Roller Coaster (aka Wade Smith) have reason to sweat?
D. Newton - For a guy who had limited camp action due to injury he was pretty solid. Nice to see in the young man but hopefully it continues.
Gardner - Not bad for a guy I thought wouldn't make the roster. Probably still won't since Harris will be swing tackle in all likelyhood and B. Williams over there. We'll see.

Not Impressed:
Keyshawn Martin - Sheesh this guy and drops. I also didn't like his break on his cuts during pattern runs. He takes too many small steps instead of planting and sharping it out. Makes it easy for corners to pick up and react. He just may need time to develop
Roc Carmichael - Great reports during camp and then...this. His technique wasn't very sharp and there were small moments of that he looked uncertain which you can't have at corner. Hopefully he rebounds.
Brandon Brooks - I expected roads paved. Instead it was rather medicore. He seemed to do well pass blocking but the run blocking was subpar from what I expected. I think he'll rebound.
Cody White - Yeah...may have to kiss a roster spot goodbye after that effort.
T. Williams - Wanted to see something out of our OLB's and got little. But this one is someone I thought could sneak in there but right now doesn't seem to have found his place out there. Right now I wouldn't even have him as backup as I think Jefferson and Braman outplayed him. He's been disappointing so hopefully something clicks fast.

Side Note: I really want to see this Bonner kid after watching Martin the other night (and re-watching). Would be nice to have a slot that is a threat in the middle of the field and that can geet some YAC. Martin has the talent but continues to be inconsistent right now.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #119
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Srsly?

I don't see that.
Good post. The only thing I will add is that Yates is a three year vet in the same system, with the same team and coaching staff. Schaub didn't have that luxury. With that in mind, Yates should be far ahead of where Schaub was when he got here. That he isn't should be a cause for alarm.
Old 08-12-2013   #120
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
That he isn't should be a cause for alarm.
How do we know that he isn't? His performance, looked very Schaub like to me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read