Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2013   #81
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Who Impressed , who didnt ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
That's a great completion % for Tim Tebow or Blaire Gabbert, but is several % points lower than what is expected of an NFL QB. I'd take Keenum's 70% completion % all day long over that.
Carson Palmer, Nick Foles, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, Joe Flacco, Sam Bradford, Jay Cuttler......

guess what they all have in common.

Quote:
Just admit that you've been drinking Keenum Haterade but his on field performance is working as an antidote. In a WCO, a reasonably mobile QB can wreak havoc on opposing D's. Especially if he's accurate on the move.
I'd love for Keenum to be the next QB of the Houston Texans, if he can help us win a Super Bowl or two, or three...

I'd love for Yates to be the next QB of the Houston Texans, if he can help us win a Super Bowl or two or three...

I'd love for Schaub to be our QB for the next 5 years, if he can help us win a Super Bowl, or two, or three....

Quote:
I'm not saying that Keenum is going to be a star but he is showing much greater upside and potential than Yates. I'd be willing to bet that 2014 will feature a QB controversy between Schaub and Keenum rather than Schaub and Yates. If it's not between Schaub and Keenum, it's because the Texans got all stupid, Packers lucky and the next Aaron Rodgers fell into their lap with the 32nd pick in the 2014 draft.
I think Yates will either be our starter in 2014 or he's going to be gone. He'll have his opportunity to win the job if Schaub misses a game. If he doesn't walk away from that game as the defacto starter (~ ala Kapernick) he's done.

If Schaub doesn't miss a game in 2013, we'll trade him or cut him. Yates gets promoted, another young'n comes in to the practice squad.
Old 08-10-2013   #82
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
LMAO! It's just hopeless with some of you people.

I would ask what more progress do you want from Schaub?
How about a win in the playoffs beyond the Wild Card round after 6 years here? Not to rush him or anything.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #83
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But, by most metrics, it appears that Keenum has surpassed Yates in the learning curve and shows more potential. If Kubes lets Keenum go 2nd next week, we will have sufficient info for a rational argument. Yates, by all appearances, has hit his ceiling. His celieng is the NFL floor. Remember that Yates went against 2nd's and 3rd's. He didn't do very well at all against the Vike's 2nd's. Just saying....
I saw Kubiak chewing Case's as5 out in the game. It wasn't a, "you messed up back there." kinda as5 chewing, it was a, "We've been over this a hundred times before." as5 chewing.

Keenum's numbers don't mean anything if he's behind Yates in the play book. From what I saw, Yates has the edge..... it may be a small enough edge that Keenum's athleticism & play making ability, yada, yada, yada puts him ahead of Yates, but I don't think so. That's not what I saw.

But my main point, even if they are even... even if Keenum is ahead... Yates' experience trumps that.
Old 08-10-2013   #84
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I saw Kubiak chewing Case's as5 out in the game. It wasn't a, "you messed up back there." kinda as5 chewing, it was a, "We've been over this a hundred times before." as5 chewing.

Keenum's numbers don't mean anything if he's behind Yates in the play book. From what I saw, Yates has the edge..... it may be a small enough edge that Keenum's athleticism & play making ability, yada, yada, yada puts him ahead of Yates, but I don't think so. That's not what I saw.

But my main point, even if they are even... even if Keenum is ahead... Yates' experience trumps that.
Kubiak doesn't regularly chew ass. That tells me he sees more in Keenum than anything else.

Anywho, I'm about to watch the game for the 1st time, so I'll respond in more detail later.
Old 08-10-2013   #85
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Replay on NFLN tonight at 11:00, if you get that channel.
Watching right now. The Vikes announcers are so much better.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #86
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Watching right now. The Vikes announcers are so much better.
It's not hard to be better than "technical difficulties". LMAO
Old 08-10-2013   #87
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys, my friend TK is a master of playing the fence, which is good.
He can engage both sides, and then it seems that he can jump the fence at any moment, either way.

I don't know if he's related to Henry Kissinger (a famous American political figure) or not, but he's darn good at what he does.

I tip my hat off to him.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2013   #88
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
He can engage both sides, and then it seems that he can jump the fence at any moment, either way.

I don't know if he's related to Henry Kissinger (a famous American political figure) or not, but he's darn good at what he does.

I tip my hat off to him.
Agreed. Nailing down TK is like nailing down jello. It's hard to get nailed when you're spineless (just kidding TK). He argues well.
Old 08-10-2013   #89
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think it appears that I'm riding the fence, because people are reading into what I'm saying.

I'm not saying that Tj is better than Case.

I'm saying that we don't know how Case will look in a real game. We know (more or less) how Tj is going to look. We know how Tj is ging to look in the playoffs. No idea what Case will look like.

Kubiak has got a plan. Unless he feels that Tj can not execute that plan, Tj will be our back up when the season starts.

However, I think he feels like all three of his QBs will see significant playing time in 2013, he's fast tracking Case because he wants him to be as prepared as possible & he's not going to let his inexperience stop him from winning a Super Bowl.
Old 08-10-2013   #90
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. Nailing down TK is like nailing down jello. It's hard to get nailed when you're spineless (just kidding TK). He argues well.
There you go; but that's why I like it, the way he does it.

It takes a lot of skills to spin the yarn into a web.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #91
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
I think Yates will either be our starter in 2014 or he's going to be gone. He'll have his opportunity to win the job if Schaub misses a game. If he doesn't walk away from that game as the defacto starter (~ ala Kapernick) he's done.

If Schaub doesn't miss a game in 2013, we'll trade him or cut him. Yates gets promoted, another young'n comes in to the practice squad.
So your prediction is Schaub is gone after this season whether he gets injured or not. Can I borrow your crystal ball sometime?

You have been spouting purported coaching platitudes all day long but you don't know one of the most fundamental ones - you don't lose your starting gig to injury. Kap was a tremendous exception to the normal rule. Deviating as they did was most likely because Smith was not Harbaugh's guy and Kap was.

Quote:
However, I think he feels like all three of his QBs will see significant playing time in 2013...
Peering into the crystal ball again?

It is not Kubiak's habit to QB substitute.

2012 - TJ got 10 attempts.
2011 - injury year
2010 - 0 attempts for anyone not named Schaub.
2009 - 10 attempts not by Schaub including the halfback pass.

That's 1721 attempts with 20 by backups.

A healthy Schaub plays.
Old 08-10-2013   #92
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think it appears that I'm riding the fence, because people are reading into what I'm saying.

I'm not saying that Tj is better than Case.

I'm saying that we don't know how Case will look in a real game. We know (more or less) how Tj is going to look. We know how Tj is ging to look in the playoffs. No idea what Case will look like.

Kubiak has got a plan. Unless he feels that Tj can not execute that plan, Tj will be our back up when the season starts.

However, I think he feels like all three of his QBs will see significant playing time in 2013, he's fast tracking Case because he wants him to be as prepared as possible & he's not going to let his inexperience stop him from winning a Super Bowl.
I'd rather find out how Keenum looks on the playoffs rather than get another look at Yates in the playoffs. He wasn't exactly impressive.
Old 08-11-2013   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So your prediction is Schaub is gone after this season whether he gets injured or not. Can I borrow your crystal ball sometime?
It's not really a crystal ball per se..... it's more like peyote & traveling to the spirit world.

Quote:
You have been spouting purported coaching platitudes all day long but you don't know one of the most fundamental ones - you don't lose your starting gig to injury. Kap was a tremendous exception to the normal rule. Deviating as they did was most likely because Smith was not Harbaugh's guy and Kap was.
But it keeps happening time & time again.

Quote:

Ok... maybe I should have said "I feel like..." but I don't see how Kubiak wouldn't be thinking it too. Matt Schaub 16 games, Arian Foste 16 games, Andre Johnson 16 games, Duane Brown 16 games, Owen Daniels 15 games, what are the odds of that happening in back to back years?

Quote:

2011 - injury year

A healthy Schaub plays.
If Matt's foot was the reason we went through that late season slump like many here believe (I'm one of the few that don't) & he thought Matt gave us the best chance to win...... maybe he'll change his mind about that "no substitution" thing & make sure he's got a contingency plan.
Old 08-11-2013   #94
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
I normally agree with you on a lot of stuff, including tempering my expectations for Keenum on one preseason game. However, to be fair, if we are going to say we know how Yates is going to play in a real game because we've seen it before that's not very encouraging, I'd rather be looking for improvement now than how he was as a rookie 2 years ago. His grasp of the playbook should have improved, that is a given.

What most people are worried about is his mechanics, footwork, holding onto the ball, staring down receivers, and recklessness with the football, that he showed his rookie season and if that has gotten better. Last preseason that was answered with a no. This season I think he's knocked off the recklessness and staring down receivers. Which is a good thing, but we still need to see more games from him.
Old 08-11-2013   #95
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143455 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2011 - injury year

A healthy Schaub plays.
So much I would like to say about this .... but I um .... nevermind.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #96
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44745 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Carson Palmer, Nick Foles, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, Joe Flacco, Sam Bradford, Jay Cuttler......

guess what they all have in common.
They're white?

What do I win.
Old 08-11-2013   #97
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 33104 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
How about a win in the playoffs beyond the Wild Card round after 6 years here? Not to rush him or anything.
You do realize that last year was Schaub's first playoff appearance since being in a Texans uni?

I am pretty sure you knew this...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #98
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the main knocks on Keenum is he's had knee surgery and he's about to be 25 year old sophomore in the league; a player who was on the practice squad last year.

I would like for the next franchise QB to be entering the NFL at 22 or 23, and that two or three year difference is pretty big if you think you have something you can win with. Keenum doesn't have the luxury of sitting the bench for 4 years before getting his shot so he kind of has to expedite that process.

I like Keenum's story but it sucks he had to be the Van Wilder of QB's.
Old 08-11-2013   #99
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
You do realize that last year was Schaub's first playoff appearance since being in a Texans uni?

I am pretty sure you knew this...
Yes, that's part of the problem.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013   #100
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopkins looks solid. Going to look even better with AJ on the field.

Swearinger looked good back there for a rookie. Gonna be a good player.

Lestar was getting open nicely, catch the damn ball!

I'm not a TJ fan but he played fine once he got rolling, needs some fire in his play though. Case did a good job.

I don't think either of these guys are the future, probably draft or trade for someone in the next year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read