Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2013   #61
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who Impressed , who didnt ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
+1 to DocBar... if you've never seen Keenum run the spread offense at UH, that IS Keenum's game style. The big difference as stated is that he hits the guys in stride. And if you never saw Keenum's performance in the Ticket City Bowl... he can throw a deep ball, but unlike Matt Schaub, he hits the guy in stride.
Video of Keenum's Ticket City Bowl TD pass..........deep.....and in stride. Another one from the same game.

And if that isn't enough proof of his arm strength and accuracy, here the UofH Rice game where he threw for 9 TDs.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Anybody remember Timmy Chang??
Old 08-10-2013   #63
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yes. U of Hawaii.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #64
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Is there any way to watch the replay of this game online? I only got to watch the first half. I remember last season somebody was posting the games on a private YouTube channel. Not sure if that's still happening though.
Replay on NFLN tonight at 11:00, if you get that channel.
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #65
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do, and who cares? For every name you come up that doesn't make it I can come up with one that does. Case Keenum is not Timmy Chang, Case Keenum is not Drew Brees. I don't have a problem with people who think Case won't make it. I have a problem with some of the reasons why they think that, like saying he doesn't have an arm. Anyone who says he lacks arm strength has never seen the man play football. I've seen him play for 5 years. The dude isn't lacking in arm strength. So if he doesn't make it in this league, that won't be why.

That said, I've mentioned elsewhere how big a fan I am of Case and even with the good performance he had last night, I'm not ready to give him the clipboard just yet. He played against the Vikes 3rd teamers and beyond and I want to see how he handles playing against tougher defenders (2's) before he's declared backup, just one play away from being the starter. As much as I like Case, the best players have to be on this team first and if Case can't beat out T.J. then that's pretty sad IMO, because T.J. doesn't show me much.

The progress for Case from last year to this has been night and day. I haven't seen that kind of progress from Yates.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #66
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 3178 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum was impressive. He showed good field presence and made good decisions. We didn't see whether he can go deep, though.

Hopkins looked good. We still don't know whether he runs a good route. After his touchdown I wasn't sure whether he was throwing the ball away or failing to complete the catch. It was too close for comfort.

Mayo looked bad, dropping 2 TD passes on successive plays.

ABC looked very bad. They have presented a garbled video before when they've attempted to televise football.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #67
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Ok, so I am coaching my youngest son's football team, and last night was the last day of our "combine" before our draft on Sunday so I had to record the game. All I can say is I would have been pissed beyond belief had I been watching the game live and not been able to fast foward through all the video failures that were apparently on the feed, not ATT Uverse.

That was only topped by the consistent babbling by Tillman. He was worthless as a player and more unbearable in the booth. What a freaking tool. It’s incredible how you can get pumped up for the first preseason game only to remember that Apollo Creed is going to be doing the broadcast. This pretty boy can’t even pay attention to what is going on during the game. On the Viking touchdown, he’s watching the freaking replay and analyzing how McCain blew the coverage, and then how McCain did a good job of recovering to force the WR out of bounds. Something to the extent of “nice recover, but you need to keep your feet to make the play in the first place”. Hey DA, McCain was on the other side of the field, he did a hell of a job of picking up Carmichaels jock, putting it back on for him and then tracking down Carmichaels man. This kind of ineptness isn’t something you are born with, it’s a talent that has to developed over years and years of working at it. I swear to all that’s holy that Tillman has a mirror in his pocket that he pulls out to practice posing and taking selfies all game long.
Very well said.
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2013   #68
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

This isn't boola boola...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #69
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I do, and who cares? For every name you come up that doesn't make it I can come up with one that does. Case Keenum is not Timmy Chang, Case Keenum is not Drew Brees. I don't have a problem with people who think Case won't make it. I have a problem with some of the reasons why they think that, like saying he doesn't have an arm. Anyone who says he lacks arm strength has never seen the man play football. I've seen him play for 5 years. The dude isn't lacking in arm strength. So if he doesn't make it in this league, that won't be why.

That said, I've mentioned elsewhere how big a fan I am of Case and even with the good performance he had last night, I'm not ready to give him the clipboard just yet. He played against the Vikes 3rd teamers and beyond and I want to see how he handles playing against tougher defenders (2's) before he's declared backup, just one play away from being the starter. As much as I like Case, the best players have to be on this team first and if Case can't beat out T.J. then that's pretty sad IMO, because T.J. doesn't show me much.

The progress for Case from last year to this has been night and day. I haven't seen that kind of progress from Yates.
Fully agree, and I think that all most of us want is to see him get some time with the 1st team. My sense is that is the last thing that Kubiak is going to approve, for obvious reasons.
Old 08-10-2013   #70
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Rewatching the game right now, TJ looked solid. He couldve probably avoided the sack and when he ran it a 1st down was a good decision since no one was open. He's also been zipping the ball to thw WRs, not sure where the hate is coming from.

Keenum does look great as well, like I said before, let them switch next game n lets see Keenum with the 2nd stringers.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #71
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

That's why they call him 'nuke'.

Hey Spencer, I thought his mom called him Nuk after the pacifier brand?
Old 08-10-2013   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I haven't seen Schaub make that kind of progress either.

I'd bet that most everyone who says that Case looked better than Yates last night would say that he looked better than Schaub as well. Yates looked fine to me, exactly like our back up QB should look.

61% completion, 7.2 ypc, 99.5 passer rating..... That's a good game for any QB if he could maintain that type of performance for 60 minutes. Listen to the guys around here, you'd think he was Tim Tebow.
Old 08-10-2013   #73
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I'd bet that most everyone who says that Case looked better than Yates last night would say that he looked better than Schaub as well.
And you'd lose. Pay up.
Old 08-10-2013   #74
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

I think I dropped some bad acid... everything's all fuzzy and Tillman's sound is dropping out (which isn't a bad thing).

Old 08-10-2013   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
And you'd lose. Pay up.
Sorry, wrong bet.
Old 08-10-2013   #76
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Rewatching the game right now, TJ looked solid. He couldve probably avoided the sack and when he ran it a 1st down was a good decision since no one was open. He's also been zipping the ball to thw WRs, not sure where the hate is coming from.

Keenum does look great as well, like I said before, let them switch next game n lets see Keenum with the 2nd stringers.
Most of my complaints are about Yates footwork ... He looked like he was on roller skates in the pocket , slipped at least three times. Hard to know if it was the turf , Yates .... or a combination of the above.

He also held onto the ball a beat too long on a couple of occasions .... In Contrast , when Keenum held onto the ball , he got outside the pocket.

Maybe Im nitpicking Yates performance ... but he definitely wasn't sharp at the outset.

In general , Im no Keenum supporter but he did look like the better QB against the Vikes. Its possible level of competition had something to do with that.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #77
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LMAO! It's just hopeless with some of you people.

I would ask what more progress do you want from Schaub (keeping in mind he's not Brady, Brees, Peyton, Eli, etc) but I already know the whack answers that I'd get. So don't bother trying to answer. I'm not really asking that. Schaub is a top 12-ish QB in this league. You are not going to see night and day differences year to year from anybody who is at or near the top of their game already. Schaub already went through that progression.

I know what I saw from Yates 2 years ago. A team that went from scoring damn near 30 points per game under Schaub, to a team that could barely score 20 under Yates. BUT I did give him the benefit of doubt being a 5th round rookie and all.

The very next pre-season, again going by what I saw, I didn't see any marked improvement from Yates, at all. In fact, he may have regressed. Last pre-season Yates was 19-32 for 191 yards with 0 TD, 0 INT, and not one single Texans drive in the entire pre-season with Yates under center ended with a TD. Not one. And this was playing against 2nd stringers in non-real games.

Now Case wasn't ready last year for sure. And after ONE game so far, I don't know if he's ready this year either. But you can sure see the improvement in him that you didn't see from Yates last year. Again, the competition level clouds that up a little, which is why I'd like to see Case be 1st off the bench Saturday, but you can definitely see an improved player. And if Case can play well enough to make the powers that be think he's the better option, then I don't care how many playoff games Yates has played. The better player needs to be there.

Yates doesn't get an automatic pass just because he's played real games before. Vince Young has played real games before and I'd take the Texans emergency QB over him.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #78
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd bet that most everyone who says that Case looked better than Yates last night would say that he looked better than Schaub as well. Yates looked fine to me, exactly like our back up QB should look.

61% completion, 7.2 ypc, 99.5 passer rating..... That's a good game for any QB if he could maintain that type of performance for 60 minutes. Listen to the guys around here, you'd think he was Tim Tebow.
That's a great completion % for Tim Tebow or Blaire Gabbert, but is several % points lower than what is expected of an NFL QB. I'd take Keenum's 70% completion % all day long over that.

Just admit that you've been drinking Keenum Haterade but his on field performance is working as an antidote. In a WCO, a reasonably mobile QB can wreak havoc on opposing D's. Especially if he's accurate on the move.

I'm not saying that Keenum is going to be a star but he is showing much greater upside and potential than Yates. I'd be willing to bet that 2014 will feature a QB controversy between Schaub and Keenum rather than Schaub and Yates. If it's not between Schaub and Keenum, it's because the Texans got all stupid, Packers lucky and the next Aaron Rodgers fell into their lap with the 32nd pick in the 2014 draft.
Old 08-10-2013   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
LMAO! It's just hopeless with some of you people.

I would ask what more progress do you want from Schaub (keeping in mind he's not Brady, Brees, Peyton, Eli, etc) but I already know the whack answers that I'd get. So don't bother trying to answer. I'm not really asking that. Schaub is a top 12-ish QB in this league. You are not going to see night and day differences year to year from anybody who is at or near the top of their game already. Schaub already went through that progression.
I wasn't meaning to take a shot at Schaub, I was thinking more along the lines of diminishing returns. Schaub is a starter, he's only going to progress so much from year to year. Tj is the back up, he's only going to progress so much. Keenum had the most to make up. It should be a night & day difference.
Old 08-10-2013   #80
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wasn't meaning to take a shot at Schaub, I was thinking more along the lines of diminishing returns. Schaub is a starter, he's only going to progress so much from year to year. Tj is the back up, he's only going to progress so much. Keenum had the most to make up. It should be a night & day difference.
But, by most metrics, it appears that Keenum has surpassed Yates in the learning curve and shows more potential. If Kubes lets Keenum go 2nd next week, we will have sufficient info for a rational argument. Yates, by all appearances, has hit his ceiling. His celieng is the NFL floor. Remember that Yates went against 2nd's and 3rd's. He didn't do very well at all against the Vike's 2nd's. Just saying....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read