Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2013   #41
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who Impressed , who didnt ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Here's the actual ball velocity data, in case you wanted to see it:

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/...ine-2008-2012/

Weeden has a rocket, but I sure wouldn't trade for him. Takes more than just fast twitch fiber to be a winner at the QB position.

TJ
Keep in mind that Keenum made those throws after pulling his hamstring the same day. He later confirmed that the injury did negatively affect his throwing drills.

Link
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #42
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In real life, when the games matter & you throw those guys out there you can get Aaron Rodgers, or you can get Jon Kitna/Tony Romo & anywhere in between.
I'm pretty sure I'd be super happy if Keenum turned into a Tony Romo level QB.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #43
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Keep in mind that Keenum made those throws after pulling his hamstring the same day. He later confirmed that the injury did negatively affect his throwing drills.

Link
And Yates was a throwing arm for receivers. He had a dead arm by the time he had to throw for his combine.
Old 08-10-2013   #44
SCOTTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Had to say Earl Mitchell was dominating .... he looked really good
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Did I miss the day that the WCO became a vertical passing offense? The short and intermediate routes are supposed to be the bread and butter with the deep throws icing on the cake. The QB hitting the receivers in stride is more important than being able to throw the ball 60 yds in the air while seated, ala JaMarcus Russell.
Well.... JaMarcus is working on a come back.
Old 08-10-2013   #46
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I definitely liked what I saw from Keenum. He looked nice & poised out there. I just saw too many dink-n-dunks to be overly excited.

Both QB's (Yates & Case) were victims of drops. Jean had 2, Maehl had 2, Hopkins had 1 and people seem down on Martin; though I don't recall if he had any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Did I miss the day that the WCO became a vertical passing offense? The short and intermediate routes are supposed to be the bread and butter with the deep throws icing on the cake. The QB hitting the receivers in stride is more important than being able to throw the ball 60 yds in the air while seated, ala JaMarcus Russell.
+1 to DocBar... if you've never seen Keenum run the spread offense at UH, that IS Keenum's game style. The big difference as stated is that he hits the guys in stride. And if you never saw Keenum's performance in the Ticket City Bowl... he can throw a deep ball, but unlike Matt Schaub, he hits the guy in stride.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #47
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Alright, this Case Keenum love needs to calmed down a little. No way is Schaub going to be Kape'd like Alex Smith by Case Keenum this season.

Also those who are afraid he wouldn't make it to the practice squad you are over playing it a little. Unless Keenum starts looking like Russel Wilson out there he'd make the practice squad if the Texans did decide to cut him. Other teams will not take what they consider a project player with no experience in their offense and no understanding of their terminology to be the 2nd or 3rd string on their team. They'll keep their own guys barring a rash of injuries to the position.

That said I'd rather keep him on the roster, have him win the #2 spot, and cut Yates next year, then keep Yates' phone number handy.
I haven't been on the Keenum bandwagon and Im no UH homer either .... No ,Schaubs job is not in danger either.

But if he continues to improve on yesterday's play over the final three dress rehersals - He may just take Yates job. At the very least , he's going to make the decision of keeping three QB's a very difficult one.

I think he looked like a quality NFL QB .... Its kinda amazing to me that he had to learn the footwork of playing under center over the last year as his footwork in the pocket seems to be one of his strengths.

Maybe this is a result of Yates play being a bit underwhelming .... his footwork was poor (or his choice of cleats was , one or the other).

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2013   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Ok, so I am coaching my youngest son's football team, and last night was the last day of our "combine" before our draft on Sunday so I had to record the game. All I can say is I would have been pissed beyond belief had I been watching the game live and not been able to fast foward through all the video failures that were apparently on the feed, not ATT Uverse.

That was only topped by the consistent babbling by Tillman. He was worthless as a player and more unbearable in the booth. What a freaking tool. It’s incredible how you can get pumped up for the first preseason game only to remember that Apollo Creed is going to be doing the broadcast. This pretty boy can’t even pay attention to what is going on during the game. On the Viking touchdown, he’s watching the freaking replay and analyzing how McCain blew the coverage, and then how McCain did a good job of recovering to force the WR out of bounds. Something to the extent of “nice recover, but you need to keep your feet to make the play in the first place”. Hey DA, McCain was on the other side of the field, he did a hell of a job of picking up Carmichaels jock, putting it back on for him and then tracking down Carmichaels man. This kind of ineptness isn’t something you are born with, it’s a talent that has to developed over years and years of working at it. I swear to all that’s holy that Tillman has a mirror in his pocket that he pulls out to practice posing and taking selfies all game long.
I don't hate Tillman, but I agreed that he's a bit lacking sometimes.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #49
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a K-Mart homer but here's why I give him a pass.

2 of his passes were thrown badly. (One was WAY too high and one was thrown nowhere near him...both thrown by Yates and they were both ugly) (This was on his first drive.)

The last throw (I forget by who, but I think Yates) and it was thrown into the dirt before he even got close to it.

Last year, Schaub would throw it on the money and Martin would drop it.

Jean was dropping the easy passes yesterday and that was disappointing.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #50
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I definitely liked what I saw from Keenum. He looked nice & poised out there. I just saw too many dink-n-dunks to be overly excited.

Both QB's (Yates & Case) were victims of drops. Jean had 2, Maehl had 2, Hopkins had 1 and people seem down on Martin; though I don't recall if he had any.
Finally.

The passes thrown to him were nowhere near him. 1 too high, 1 not even close enough to get a hand on, and the last one was thrown in the dirt.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #51
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there any way to watch the replay of this game online? I only got to watch the first half. I remember last season somebody was posting the games on a private YouTube channel. Not sure if that's still happening though.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Is there any way to watch the replay of this game online? I only got to watch the first half. I remember last season somebody was posting the games on a private YouTube channel. Not sure if that's still happening though.
On NFL.com, you can get the Preseason Pass for 19.99. From there, you can pull up whatever game you want and watch it (with some blackout restrictions.)

I'm not in Houston and I watched the game Live that way and did NOT get the service interruption people in Houston experienced. But if you're in Houston, I don't know if they've got some sort of blackout on it. I think the blackouts are only on nationally televised games so you SHOULD be able to see it (I can.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Initial impressions, from in between the "technical difficulties", and with no replay as I deleted the recording with so much dead air time.
  • Earl Mitchell looks good. Quick, determined. 3 plus plays.
  • Roc was disappointing. Lost technique, looked like he lost his footing some too.
  • Cody White looked awful. 3 minus plays, at least.
  • Bullock put at least one out of the back of the end zone and others at -6 and -7. Then the late low line drive ... wassup wit dat? Coach's call? I want to see the missed 54 yarder.
  • Jefferson was dead when his guy got his hands on him.
  • Keo showed a nose for the ball.
  • Swearinger played like a rookie.
  • Jean frustrates. One drop hit him square in the face mask. Embarassing.
  • Griffin excites me, despite the dumb penalties. Big TE with hands.
  • Byrne can play.
  • Quess looks pretty darn good. Liked him for us, feel lucky we got him so late.
  • McClain beat up some guys.
  • Dej Karim isn't out of the game yet.
  • Young RBs promising, need more data.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #54
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well.... JaMarcus is working on a come back.
You're incorrigible, TK. LOL
Old 08-10-2013   #55
guichows6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For those who missed the game or kept getting interrupted by tech difficulties, have no fear. Abc 13 is replaying the game tonight at 7 without the glitches. I heard this on 610
Old 08-10-2013   #56
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Initial impressions, from in between the "technical difficulties", and with no replay as I deleted the recording with so much dead air time.
  • Earl Mitchell looks good. Quick, determined. 3 plus plays.
  • Roc was disappointing. Lost technique, looked like he lost his footing some too.
  • Cody White looked awful. 3 minus plays, at least.
  • Bullock put at least one out of the back of the end zone and others at -6 and -7. Then the late low line drive ... wassup wit dat? Coach's call? I want to see the missed 54 yarder.
  • Jefferson was dead when his guy got his hands on him.
  • Keo showed a nose for the ball.
  • Swearinger played like a rookie.
  • Jean frustrates. One drop hit him square in the face mask. Embarassing.
  • Griffin excites me, despite the dumb penalties. Big TE with hands.
  • Byrne can play.
  • Quess looks pretty darn good. Liked him for us, feel lucky we got him so late.
  • McClain beat up some guys.
  • Dej Karim isn't out of the game yet.
  • Young RBs promising, need more data.
Yeah Cody White looked bad .... I don't think Gardner helped him much , at least one of those minus plays was on him. I omitted the OL play from my evaluation for the most part. Just gets too technical.

The 3rd RB spot .... someone's gonna have to earn it. Karim isn't out of the game but I think Wood took the lead .... with Johnson taking a couple steps back.

The TE group looks to be very strong. Going to be interesting to see how many they put on the 53.

Jefferson did get some pressure (on one play) after the blocker had engaged him - forced him to hold. He's got to develop another move or two but he has definite potential.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #57
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
Quote:
Kubiak: Deji Karim is the RB furthest ahead from a special teams standpoint, aside from Foster/Tate.

Kubiak: thinks Arian Foster is close to practicing. Has a process he needs to go through to be ready for San Diego.

Kubiak: a lot of good things, but a lot of things that have to get better from OLB Willie Jefferson.

Kubiak: Impressed with Terrell McClain. Team is looking for Earl Mitchell's backup and McClain was encouraging.

Kubiak: DeAndre Hopkins made a great play, but can see on tape some areas for improvement.

Kubiak: Keenum and Yates will play a great deal. Chance that Keenum is off bench 1st, but that will be decided later in week.
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Quote:
"We need to get Bonner back on the field, he is a big piece of the puzzle." Kubiak #Texans
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
"There’s a process he needs to go through to get ready for San Diego but we think he’s very close to starting that process" Kubiak on Foster

"They’ll continue to both play a great deal. It’s a very good battle going on. They both did a very good job last night." Kubiak on QBs

"I think we're close." Kubiak on Foster. Says he's not concerned.

Kubiak says Keenum has "swagger" this year. Said he's never seen a player smile as much as Keenum does during a game. #TexansTalk

Kubiak said he was impressed by McClain, Bouye, Quessneberry to name a few.

"It's just a very competitive situation right now." -- Kubiak on backup QB battle.

Kubiak said it looks like they came out of the game fine. Lechler had some trouble with plant foot before game, so they didn't let him go.
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Kubiak wasn't happy with third-and-long situations. Too many missed tackles and dropped passes early.

Kubiak praised RB Cierre Wood, undrafted free agent with 50 yards on 10 carries. "He took a big step foward."

Kubiak said Keenum has instincts he looks for in QB, what he does when plays break down, or what he does "off schedule."
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Quote:
Kubiak: Tim Jamison's performance a "bright spot" coming off his Achilles injury.

Kubiak (on backup QBs): T.J. is having a "dang good camp" but we have a competitive situation right now which makes our team better.
Marc Vandermeer ‏@TexansVoice
Quote:
Kubiak: discussion this week on whether Keenum will get into Miami game ahead of Yates.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #58
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichows6 View Post
For those who missed the game or kept getting interrupted by tech difficulties, have no fear. Abc 13 is replaying the game tonight at 7 without the glitches. I heard this on 610
Too bad they won't be fixing the announcers...
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
And by that, you mean neutering them so they can't breed and further pollute the gene pool. Right?

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #60
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
And by that, you mean neutering them so they can't breed and further pollute the gene pool. Right?

Maybe they can be transferred to The View so as not to polute the football airwaves in any way, shape, form, or fashion.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read