Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2013   #21
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who Impressed , who didnt ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
They better not put Keenum on the PS cause if he keeps playing like this then some team will scoop him up. He looked damn good out there to me.
I'm not a U of H football fan but I know a good, poised quarterback when I see one and Keenum is definitely that. He will be better than Schaub when it's all said and done. This guy is on pace to take over.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #22
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
They better not put Keenum on the PS cause if he keeps playing like this then some team will scoop him up. He looked damn good out there to me.
Keenum wouldn't last 2 seconds on the practice squad and Kubiak knows it. Maybe Keenum is a future starter in the NFL, maybe he isn't. But the LEAST he's going to do is be a damn fine backup QB, which every team in the NFL needs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #23
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was impressed with Earl Mitchell, Willie Jefferson, Hopkins, Wood, Karim, Ryan Griffin.....

I was totally disappointed with any body who lined up at ILB, Roc Carmichael, Eddie Pleasant, Braman,

I didn't see this at all. Case looked like an UDFA to me. He did not look like he had command of the offense, or that he was comfortable in the pocket going through his reads. It didn't look, to me, like he was running the offense the way it was supposed to be ran.

As far as the TD throw by Yates.... he threw it to a spot, DeAndre was supposed to go get it. That's what that looks like.
You serious brah? Case looked awesome out there. I know the feed was bad, but there is no way you did not see the poise and control of Case. Those nice touches on his passes, and those leading bullet throws.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #24
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl Mitchell surprised the hell out of me. Can you imagine if he kept that kind of play up while next to Smith and Watt? I just got chills.

Little disappointed with Swearinger going for the big hit instead of just a solid tackle.

Hopkins, other than the big catch was underwhelming. I didn't see any separation from defenders and he would break off his route 2 yards from the first down marker.

Case was OK. I still like Yates better though. Yates has a bigger arm, more athletic, and just has a fire about him when he plays. Case is a younger Schaub.

If the Texans did allow Carmichael onto the plane home I hope they charged him for his ticket.

Overall I was not all that impressed.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #25
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstyle42 View Post
I'm not a U of H football fan but I know a good, poised quarterback when I see one and Keenum is definitely that. He will be better than Schaub when it's all said and done. This guy is on pace to take over.
Agreed. Schaub is about to be Kape'd like Alex smith.
Old 08-10-2013   #26
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Positives:

Dishonorable Mentions

The broadcast - when I se errors I've never seen before, it's noteworthy. EPIC, world-class failure of a show. Bring in someone from a WAC conference show to explain it to these guys. A video shot where you missplell a player's name?

The broadcast team - From Tillman's incestuous NFL to his cohort's inability to get a name right, you'd have thought these guys were an April Fools joke. The joke is on us unfortunately.
Ok, so I am coaching my youngest son's football team, and last night was the last day of our "combine" before our draft on Sunday so I had to record the game. All I can say is I would have been pissed beyond belief had I been watching the game live and not been able to fast foward through all the video failures that were apparently on the feed, not ATT Uverse.

That was only topped by the consistent babbling by Tillman. He was worthless as a player and more unbearable in the booth. What a freaking tool. It’s incredible how you can get pumped up for the first preseason game only to remember that Apollo Creed is going to be doing the broadcast. This pretty boy can’t even pay attention to what is going on during the game. On the Viking touchdown, he’s watching the freaking replay and analyzing how McCain blew the coverage, and then how McCain did a good job of recovering to force the WR out of bounds. Something to the extent of “nice recover, but you need to keep your feet to make the play in the first place”. Hey DA, McCain was on the other side of the field, he did a hell of a job of picking up Carmichaels jock, putting it back on for him and then tracking down Carmichaels man. This kind of ineptness isn’t something you are born with, it’s a talent that has to developed over years and years of working at it. I swear to all that’s holy that Tillman has a mirror in his pocket that he pulls out to practice posing and taking selfies all game long.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
You serious brah? Case looked awesome out there. I know the feed was bad, but there is no way you did not see the poise and control of Case. Those nice touches on his passes, and those leading bullet throws.
I can tell he has upside, & I can see why people are excited about his play. He looked good out there, I'm not saying he didn't.

But If he starts I think our play book will shrink a lot more than it would with Schaub or Yates. He still might outplay them though, he's got an xfactor that they don't.

But I think the xfactor needed to be the #2 QB here, is being able to run the offense the way the HC wants to run the offense. Yates has the edge in that department.

That's not a knock on Keenum, it's an observation. Russell Wilson started over Matt Flyn, because neither knew the play book & Wilson had an xfactor Flyn did not. Alex Smith started over Kaepernick because Smith had command of more of the play book than Kaepernick.

In real life, when the games matter & you throw those guys out there you can get Aaron Rodgers, or you can get Jon Kitna/Tony Romo & anywhere in between. You don't know which, until you throw them out there when the games matter, preseason means nothing... & odds lean heavily towards the Kitna/Romo side of the scale.

This isn't a pastime for Kubiak, he does this for a living. He's going to go with the odds.
Old 08-10-2013   #28
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Earl Mitchell surprised the hell out of me. Can you imagine if he kept that kind of play up while next to Smith and Watt? I just got chills.

Little disappointed with Swearinger going for the big hit instead of just a solid tackle.

Hopkins, other than the big catch was underwhelming. I didn't see any separation from defenders and he would break off his route 2 yards from the first down marker.

Case was OK. I still like Yates better though. Yates has a bigger arm, more athletic, and just has a fire about him when he plays. Case is a younger Schaub.

If the Texans did allow Carmichael onto the plane home I hope they charged him for his ticket.

Overall I was not all that impressed.
With Hopkins, you are no going to see a lot of separation from him because he is not that type of WR that can just out run a DB. He is gonna have to use precision route running and cuts in order to get separation and that will hopefully come with time...

Keenum a younger Schaub? That is pretty insulting. Keenum is far more athletic than Schaub has ever been. Did you not see Keenum moving around in the pocket and scrambling outside to make plays? When was the last time you ever saw Schuab do that? I think Keenum may even have a better arm that Schaub. A lot of Keenum's throws were frozen ropes.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #29
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
With Hopkins, you are no going to see a lot of separation from him because he is not that type of WR that can just out run a DB. He is gonna have to use precision route running and cuts in order to get separation and that will hopefully come with time...

Keenum a younger Schaub? That is pretty insulting. Keenum is far more athletic than Schaub has ever been. Did you not see Keenum moving around in the pocket and scrambling outside to make plays? When was the last time you ever saw Schuab do that? I think Keenum may even have a better arm that Schaub. A lot of Keenum's throws were frozen ropes.
...and his touch passes to the RBs out in the flat were out in front of the RB to catch in stride, not over their shoulder.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #30
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Good:

Earl Mitchell - If he plays like that next to Watt, this would be one scary D-line.

Cierre Wood - I didn't have a favorite RB to take the #3 coming in but Wood impressed me the most.

DeAndre Hopkins - Awesome TD catch over the DB and he had 3 other receptions to go with it.

Case Keenum - I'm not as impressed as others were. He had a lot of nice throws but he reminded me of Leinart with his dinks-n-dunks.

The Bad:

Dennis Johnson - He had one nice run, but overall he was stuffed behind the line too much.

Roc Carmichael - He got beat too much. The announcers destroyed Brice on one of them.

Lestar Jean - He had six catches, but he also had way too many drops.

Jeff Maehl - Just like Jean he had way too many drops. Unlike Jean, he had no catches.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #31
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Alright, this Case Keenum love needs to calmed down a little. No way is Schaub going to be Kape'd like Alex Smith by Case Keenum this season.

Also those who are afraid he wouldn't make it to the practice squad you are over playing it a little. Unless Keenum starts looking like Russel Wilson out there he'd make the practice squad if the Texans did decide to cut him. Other teams will not take what they consider a project player with no experience in their offense and no understanding of their terminology to be the 2nd or 3rd string on their team. They'll keep their own guys barring a rash of injuries to the position.

That said I'd rather keep him on the roster, have him win the #2 spot, and cut Yates next year, then keep Yates' phone number handy.
Old 08-10-2013   #32
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
The Good:

Case Keenum - I'm not as impressed as others were. He had a lot of nice throws but he reminded me of Leinart with his dinks-n-dunks.
While this is true to an extent. Whenever Leinart dinks and dunked there was hardly any yards after the catch and the play ended right there. It seemed like those on the receiving end of Keenum's short passes were able to catch it smoothly and turn up field for a nice extra chunk. We even got a Borencopter out of one.
Old 08-10-2013   #33
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
If you're talking about length when you mention "bigger arm", then yes. But Keenum had a higher ball velocity at his combine than Yates did at his -- and that is one way they measure arm strength.

In fact, Keenums ball velocity was identical to Russel Wilson's, if I'm not mistaken.

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #34
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
While this is true to an extent. Whenever Leinart dinks and dunked there was hardly any yards after the catch and the play ended right there. It seemed like those on the receiving end of Keenum's short passes were able to catch it smoothly and turn up field for a nice extra chunk. We even got a Borencopter out of one.
I definitely liked what I saw from Keenum. He looked nice & poised out there. I just saw too many dink-n-dunks to be overly excited.

Both QB's (Yates & Case) were victims of drops. Jean had 2, Maehl had 2, Hopkins had 1 and people seem down on Martin; though I don't recall if he had any.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #35
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the actual ball velocity data, in case you wanted to see it:

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/...ine-2008-2012/

Weeden has a rocket, but I sure wouldn't trade for him. Takes more than just fast twitch fiber to be a winner at the QB position.

TJ
Old 08-10-2013   #36
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Alright, this Case Keenum love needs to calmed down a little. No way is Schaub going to be Kape'd like Alex Smith by Case Keenum this season.

Also those who are afraid he wouldn't make it to the practice squad you are over playing it a little. Unless Keenum starts looking like Russel Wilson out there he'd make the practice squad if the Texans did decide to cut him. Other teams will not take what they consider a project player with no experience in their offense and no understanding of their terminology to be the 2nd or 3rd string on their team. They'll keep their own guys barring a rash of injuries to the position.

That said I'd rather keep him on the roster, have him win the #2 spot, and cut Yates next year, then keep Yates' phone number handy.
There is a way. If Schaub gets injured, Case comes in to start since he won the backup roll, and then proceeds to ball like he is at UH. It can happen. Slim chance and he is most likely a backup all season, but you never know.
Old 08-10-2013   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Here's the actual ball velocity data, in case you wanted to see it:

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/...ine-2008-2012/

Weeden has a rocket, but I sure wouldn't trade for him. Takes more than just fast twitch fiber to be a winner at the QB position.

TJ
Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Rep coming your way.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #38
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

What I find interesting is flacco's number.

I think people mistake Keenum's ability to put "touch" on his
passes for a weak arm.

I think he just throws more of a catchable ball than flamethrower
QB's who burn a hole through their receivers.

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Rep coming your way.
Old 08-10-2013   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
No mention of Terrell McClain? I didn't get to watch the game but saw that he had 2.5 sacks.

Sup with this guy?
He was just abusing the backup Viking line. I thought they were going to have to call the police.

I wasn't sure about him. There have been good reports out of TC on him but... I wasn't sure. Now? Yeah. I think he's making a case for making the team.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #40
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I definitely liked what I saw from Keenum. He looked nice & poised out there. I just saw too many dink-n-dunks to be overly excited.
Both QB's (Yates & Case) were victims of drops. Jean had 2, Maehl had 2, Hopkins had 1 and people seem down on Martin; though I don't recall if he had any.
Did I miss the day that the WCO became a vertical passing offense? The short and intermediate routes are supposed to be the bread and butter with the deep throws icing on the cake. The QB hitting the receivers in stride is more important than being able to throw the ball 60 yds in the air while seated, ala JaMarcus Russell.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read