Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2013   #1
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who Impressed , who didnt ?!

Couple guy's impressed in this first dress rehearsal.

Earl Mitchell was very disruptive in the middle.

Cierre Wood reminded me of .... #23. One cut and get gone , took what defenses gave and never took big hits.

A.J. Bouye - Real solid in coverage. Didn't do anything outstanding , just didn't allow WR's a chance to catch the ball.

Hopkins - Man what a catch .... I thought that TD was an INT when it was thrown.

Last but not least - Case Keenum. I think he outplayed Yates by a significant margin .... has something neither Yates or Schaub have .... Escapability. They may be forced to keep three QB's on the roster this year.

Who didn't ?!

Gotta start with Joe Marciano's not so special teams .... FFS lane responsibility! That KO was 8 yards deep and the liquored up kicker had to save a TD. Eddie , you gotta give the returner an opportunity to catch the ball .... then splat him!

Dennis Johnson Just didn't show the same in game that he has in practice. Just unimpressive .... running and returning - Blocks well.

Lestar Jean .... Catch the ball with your hands , not your facemask!!.

Keshawn Martin How many drops did he have ?! Same thing that plagued him last season.

TJ Yates - Don't know if it was the field , his choice of cleats or just bad footwork ... but he looked like he was on rollerskates in the pocket. Held onto the ball too long on a couple occasions , took a sack. Also overthrew several balls. Hopkins turned a horrible throw into a TD.
Yep , there is a QB controversy .... for the backup spot.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #2
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who Impressed , who didnt ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Cierre Wood reminded me of .... #23. One cut and get gone , took what defenses gave and never took big hits.

A.J. Bouye - Real solid in coverage. Didn't do anything outstanding , just didn't allow WR's a chance to catch the ball.

Hopkins - Man what a catch .... I thought that TD was an INT when it was thrown.

Last but not least - Case Keenum. I think he outplayed Yates by a significant margin .... has something neither Yates or Schaub have .... Escapability. They may be forced to keep three QB's on the roster this year.

Who didn't ?!

Gotta start with Joe Marciano's not so special teams .... FFS lane responsibility! That KO was 8 yards deep and the liquored up kicker had to save a TD. Eddie , you gotta give the returner an opportunity to catch the ball .... then splat him!

Dennis Johnson Just didn't show the same in game that he has in practice. Just unimpressive .... running and returning - Blocks well.

Keshawn Martin How many drops did he have ?! Same thing that plagued him last season.

TJ Yates - Don't know if it was the field , his choice of cleats or just bad footwork ... but he looked like he was on rollerskates in the pocket. Held onto the ball too long on a couple occasions , took a sack. Also overthrew several balls. Hopkins turned a horrible throw into a TD.
Keenum certainly played better but i think people are being a bit harsh on TJ. his first and 2nd drives were bad but once he got into the flow of the game he looked solid.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #3
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ben Jones was fairly poor today. would have to watch the game again to really make sure but from first look he didnt perform very well. am a little disappointed
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #4
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Ben Jones was fairly poor today. would have to watch the game again to really make sure but from first look he didnt perform very well. am a little disappointed
He may have been, but I'm pretty sure I saw at least two pancakes from him.
Old 08-10-2013   #5
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Jefferson was good too.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Three things stood out for me in a positive way: Case Keenum, DeAndre Hopkins, and all those rookie undrafted RBs.

The only things I've got a real negative on is the special teams coverage and channel 13.

Noticeable meh's go to Swearinger and TJ.

One thing for sure, our bench strength is better than the Vikings. Rick Smith has been bringing in talent to this team.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Who didn't impress? Carmichael. This is his 3rd year and he looks like a rookie. Lestar Jean and Keshawn Martin continue to show why the Texans need a vet 3rd WR.

I was most impressed by the 2nd half o-line, opening holes and protecting the QB. I will have to watch without the technical difficulties to determine if someone stood out. Also, the Texans 2nd half pass rush shut down the Vikes passing game. Not sure if it was scheme, effort, or a combination.

Mostly, I was glad to watch some football. When I was allowed to. Fortunately, I'll only have to endure one more telecast by Amateur13 (at Dallas).

Last edited by Lucky; 08-10-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: 3nd half?
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2013   #8
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Ray Graham gets more looks at RB, he is by far my favorite UDFA back we brought in.

Yates started off terribly and finished above average. He better improve next week or I could see Case surpassing him.

Hopkins is a baller. Martin looks much improved. Jean won't be a bad 3rd or 4th wr on the team, Meahl blew his chance with 2 td passes.

Swearinger better learn from his mistake. It shows how little of a mistake can hurt the team. GREAT learning chance there.

Bullock better keep working on his accuracy, that seems to be his knock. He has a strong leg, just inaccurate at times.

Marciano is still terrible.
Old 08-10-2013   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

HEY, JOE!..............

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #11
Goodwrench3
VAI TEXANS!

Rep Power: 7153 Goodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Roc was terrible
Old 08-10-2013   #12
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Who didn't ?!

No mention of Terrell McClain? I didn't get to watch the game but saw that he had 2.5 sacks.

Sup with this guy?
Old 08-10-2013   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quessenberry impressed me.

Swearinger made a couple mistakes, but I actually feel OK about him. His mistake was mental, really. That's a quick correction. He has the athleticism and technique to play, I could see that.

Dennis Johnson kind of made me think of Keshawn Martin - really quick in short space, flashes athleticism that makes you sit up and notice, and then does a bunch of nothing with it. Cierre Wood has a much better understanding of the system and would be a better back overall.

Keenum did all the little things right. He was poised, he had control of the game, and he progressed through his reads. Would have liked to see him get at least one deep ball, but I'm sure we'll see it sooner or later.

Maehl and Jean should just stop. I'm over them. Martin's wearing on me as well. There are lots of things WRs have to do at the pro level, but the first one is the same one they've had to do since they were kids - catch the GD ball. I want to see more Alec Lemon for now.

Earl Mitchell and Brooks Reed both allayed some concerns last night.

Willie Jefferson could be a helluva situational rusher, even as raw as he is.
Old 08-10-2013   #14
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Screw Lestar. I like Lemon over him, I saw him pluck the ball out of the air. I think Lemon is the new practice squad WR.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I was impressed with Earl Mitchell, Willie Jefferson, Hopkins, Wood, Karim, Ryan Griffin.....

I was totally disappointed with any body who lined up at ILB, Roc Carmichael, Eddie Pleasant, Braman,

Quote:

I didn't see this at all. Case looked like an UDFA to me. He did not look like he had command of the offense, or that he was comfortable in the pocket going through his reads. It didn't look, to me, like he was running the offense the way it was supposed to be ran.

As far as the TD throw by Yates.... he threw it to a spot, DeAndre was supposed to go get it. That's what that looks like.
Old 08-10-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Willie Jefferson could be a helluva situational rusher, even as raw as he is.
I was impressed with his zone coverage as well. Not great, you can tell he needs to work on it & get a feel for the routes, but I liked what I saw.
Old 08-10-2013   #17
Yaky
Rookie

Rep Power: 4316 Yaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was totally disappointed with any body who lined up at ILB, Roc Carmichael, Eddie Pleasant, Braman,
Mike Mohamad played very good.
Yaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #18
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Positives:

Earl Mitchell - I've been damn hard on the guy for not beating out Cody, but he looked like Leon Lett in his prime tonight. Barring injury, we just got an UPgrade at NT.

Case Keenum - Bearing in mind that he was playing against the 3's or lower, he looked VERY good out there. He was about "making plays". Someone mentioned how Yates ran the offense the way it was designed. Kenum didn't and it showed how wonderful that can be occasionally.

Cierre Wood - Like Keenum, we're talking about action aginst the 3's, but he made the cuts that you're looking for. He was the best RB the Texans put on the field tonight.

DeAndre Hopkins - He still needs some polish, but the kid has got skills. I thought that TD pass had about a 10% chace of completion with the classic Schaub/Yates underthrow on it. Not sure about his blocking yet, but the word on his hands was no joke.

Mixed Bags:

A.J. Bouye - Made a fantastic play on ST, blew a few in coverage, but on average looked decent. Still rough on technique.

D.J. Swearinger - Got absolutely toasted once, but was scrappy the rest of the time. Let's hope he learns the system fast.

Insert new linemen here - The line play from folks with names other than Brown and Myers was spotty. They'd follow up a pancake with a fall-down worthy of Kareem Jackson as a rookie. No more sure of where these guys stand than before the game.

T.J. Yates - He started out colder than an ex-wife's heart. He looked entirely too tight when he came out. For those that want him to mimic Schaub? Congratulations! He looked like he was fitted for the same cement shoes. He got better as he went on and we know how good he CAN be, but it was rough to watch.

The BAD

Special Teams - There's not much coaching involved when it comes to your actual kickers, and they were the brightest spot. The coverage and return teams looked awful. Coach Joe may be a really nice guy, but let's face it - we sent two guys away who fared pretty well elsewhere. If this doesn't magically iprove by the opener, ST could cost us games.

Keyshawn Martin / Lestar Jean - Like the fickle girl you dated in high school. One moment they take your breath away, the next they break your heart. When your WR can't consistently catch a well-thrown ball, you have an issue.

Dishonorable Mentions

The broadcast - when I se errors I've never seen before, it's noteworthy. EPIC, world-class failure of a show. Bring in someone from a WAC conference show to explain it to these guys. A video shot where you missplell a player's name?

The broadcast team - From Tillman's incestuous NFL to his cohort's inability to get a name right, you'd have thought these guys were an April Fools joke. The joke is on us unfortunately.
Old 08-10-2013   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Case looked like an UDFA to me. He did not look like he had command of the offense, or that he was comfortable in the pocket going through his reads. It didn't look, to me, like he was running the offense the way it was supposed to be ran.
What game were you watching?

:smfh:
Old 08-10-2013   #20
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

They better not put Keenum on the PS cause if he keeps playing like this then some team will scoop him up. He looked damn good out there to me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read