Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2013   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default When I am wrong

I admit it and if this game against Vikings is a sign of the future and I hope it is, I will make gravy for the crow I will eat. Earl Mitchell made me sit up and take notice. Not sure if his motor holds up for more than a quarter but dang he looked good. Realize it was preseason game one but he was on fire. I have repeatedly posted, Mitchell showed me little 2012 and could not beat out an injured oh what was his name anyways? Oh yeah, Shawn Cody. Confidence in being name starter as Cody went bye bye could be it or maybe getting more reps with starters or who knows. He is riding the bull at least for now.

McClain got a flag for roughing passer but stood up and said he wants the back up NT spot. If this continues, a big worry is off me. Chris Jones to PS for depth.

Lestar Jean had me PO with two drops but ended with me hoping he can put it all together..wait wasn't that how I ended last season? sigh.

Keenum outplayed Yates & if you disagree, let's talk about selling some of what you are smoking. I like Yates but Case had confidence and command. Against 2s and 3s yes but also with 2s & 3s. If Jean had caught the two he tried to catch with his chest, Keenum would have been 15/18.

Hopkins? We now have a #2 WR across from AJ. Enough said!
RT: Newton was solid but not as good as he will get by game one. My worries lessened.
Old 08-09-2013   #2
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: When I am wrong

Mitchell was a monster tonight!

The 2 positions that scare me the most right now are OLB and WR. I thought Braman earned some early playing time in the next game. Jefferson is only going to get better, but its tough to really depend on him right now. At receiver I'm still just not sold and satisfied with what we have behind Andre and Hopkins. Brandon Lloyd is still out there. I'm just sayin!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Mitchell was a monster tonight!

The 2 positions that scare me the most right now are OLB and WR. I thought Braman earned some early playing time in the next game. Jefferson is only going to get better, but its tough to really depend on him right now. At receiver I'm still just not sold and satisfied with what we have behind Andre and Hopkins. Brandon Lloyd is still out there. I'm just sayin!
Going to disagree with you amigo on WR in that Martin will do well and TEs OD and Graham will one of the four options. End of roster fighting is all that remains barring brain farts next 3 games.

Agree with you on OLB but Reed did seem to show some speed getting close. Seemed to tie up more than one blocker often. I did not see how Mays did due to ABC techies but LB is my greatest concern as of now. Brooks and Newton did fine so that eases concern for me.

Swearinger worries me but hope it was first game jitters and he shakes it off.
Old 08-10-2013   #4
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Going to disagree with you amigo on WR in that Martin will do well and TEs OD and Graham will one of the four options. End of roster fighting is all that remains barring brain farts next 3 games.

Agree with you on OLB but Reed did seem to show some speed getting close. Seemed to tie up more than one blocker often. I did not see how Mays did due to ABC techies but LB is my greatest concern as of now. Brooks and Newton did fine so that eases concern for me.

Swearinger worries me but hope it was first game jitters and he shakes it off.
I wish I shared your confidence in Martin.

I think Swearinger will be fine. He learned tonight that this is big boy football. It was a very good lesson to learn at this point for him.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #5
MidtownMikey
Rookie

Rep Power: 2083 MidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm also a believer that a WR core of Johnson, Hopkins, and Martin will be fine as long as all 3 stay healthy. LeStar was inconsistent, but having an inconsistent #4 or #5 WR isn't a huge worry as hopefully they won't be seeing the field much anyways, especially with the Texans rarely using a spread look.

My biggest concern actually was Dennis Johnson's running behind the 2nd/3rd string offensive line. After how good he looked in training camp, was really surprised at his 7 carries for 11 yards (1.6 yard average). He was 4 carries for 14 yards in the first quarter, so his final 3 carries were no gain/negative yardage type plays. Tons of missed assignments/backfield penetration on his runs to go along with some hesitation on his part. Hopefully our offensive line stays healthy (especially on the left side where we don't have great replacements for Brown and Smith).

Good news is the rest of the RBs competing for that 3rd (and potentially 4th spot listening to Kubes) looked good, and I'm sure Dennis Johnson will get a chance at redemption next week.
MidtownMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I wish I shared your confidence in Martin.

I think Swearinger will be fine. He learned tonight that this is big boy football. It was a very good lesson to learn at this point for him.
Even if wrong on Martin, my thought is Jean will get enough plays to limit Martin's exposure until Posey returns. Also, Tate had a 14 yard reception & Foster is no slouch so Schaub should have targets galore especially with an increase (I hope) in two TE sets of OD and Graham.

BTW, I think Bonner will wind up as the returner allowing Martin to focus on WR. If Kmart can avg 15 YDS he will be a very good slot with 3-4 per game.
Old 08-10-2013   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMikey View Post
I'm also a believer that a WR core of Johnson, Hopkins, and Martin will be fine as long as all 3 stay healthy. LeStar was inconsistent, but having an inconsistent #4 or #5 WR isn't a huge worry as hopefully they won't be seeing the field much anyways, especially with the Texans rarely using a spread look.

My biggest concern actually was Dennis Johnson's running behind the 2nd/3rd string offensive line. After how good he looked in training camp, was really surprised at his 7 carries for 11 yards (1.6 yard average). He was 4 carries for 14 yards in the first quarter, so his final 3 carries were no gain/negative yardage type plays. Tons of missed assignments/backfield penetration on his runs to go along with some hesitation on his part. Hopefully our offensive line stays healthy (especially on the left side where we don't have great replacements for Brown and Smith).

Good news is the rest of the RBs competing for that 3rd (and potentially 4th spot listening to Kubes) looked good, and I'm sure Dennis Johnson will get a chance at redemption next week.
My problem with Jean is probably my over expectation of him being a future replacement for AJ. He has the size and can fight for ball over middle if he could just have better hand techniques. If he had Hopkins hands...
Old 08-10-2013   #8
MidtownMikey
Rookie

Rep Power: 2083 MidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respectedMidtownMikey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, Jean has the physical tools to be a beast, but unless his hands improve/he stops trying to catch with his body he'll never be more than a back of the bench backup. I almost burst out laughing the one drop he had because he let it hit his facemask. Shows he really hasn't gotten down extending his arms out and snagging the ball like you see out of Johnson/Hopkins and even Lemon in his limited action.

The one guy I hope gets a lot less playing time in the next 2 games is Cody White. While I know they placed him on the roster last year from the practice squad to keep another team from grabbing him, in the 2nd quarter whenever I saw someone run by a lineman, I didn't even have to look to know it was #67 being the turnstile. He looked like he belonged in the 4th quarter, not early 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My problem with Jean is probably my over expectation of him being a future replacement for AJ. He has the size and can fight for ball over middle if he could just have better hand techniques. If he had Hopkins hands...
Old 08-10-2013   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

I am hoping the face mask catch was due to Jean looking off as that would be a correctable mental lapse. Does anyone else agree?

I will be rooting for Crick this year to replace Smith next year and Ben Jones to replace Myers. So far my wish looks good for 2014.
Old 08-10-2013   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah , Mitchell looked really good tonight .... The only question I have is level of competition - Was that the Vikes #1's or .... did they sit some starters ?!

Either way , pretty impressed with his development ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yeah , Mitchell looked really good tonight .... The only question I have is level of competition - Was that the Vikes #1's or .... did they sit some starters ?!

Which set of pixels was Mitchell, the yellow ones or the red ones?

Signed, Still Pi$$ed @ Ch13
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Didn't Mitchell get mostly pitted against the Vikings' rookie right guard?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #13
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59150 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl Mitchell has always reminded me of a John Randall type of player, smaller but explosive.Maybe this will be the year he makes that stride.

He did look like he went to the JJ Watt School of Swim Moves because he made the Vikings center look stupid on several plays while blowing up the back field.....

Hope he continues this season...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #14
MidtownMikey
Rookie

CnD,

I thought a couple of Mitchell's great plays came against John Sullivan, the Viking's All-Pro center.

I do need to go back and rewatch the game tonight or tomorrow though, so I might be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Didn't Mitchell get mostly pitted against the Vikings' rookie right guard?
Old 08-10-2013   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMikey View Post
CnD,

I thought a couple of Mitchell's great plays came against John Sullivan, the Viking's All-Pro center.

I do need to go back and rewatch the game tonight or tomorrow though, so I might be wrong.
76 had this to say.......at least about one play:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
On the second play of the game, Mitchell beat #65 Sullivan (the Vikings starting Center), forcing the starting RG #63 Fusco to help doubling-teaming him.
Even so, Mitchell had a finger on the ball, just enough to distract Simpson such that the receiver Simpson can only tip at the ball.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

IIRC, Reed forced the QB back into a NT once but do not recall who Nose was. Again only game one of preseason but overall I'm thrilled. I was hoping for more from the OLBs against Viking offense though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read