Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-28-2013   #1
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 77683 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Alec Lemon on IR

Funny how the good one's always seem to get hurt right before roster cuts.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootba...former_sy.html

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143147 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alec Lemon on IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Funny how the good one's always seem to get hurt right before roster cuts.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootba...former_sy.html
What a surprise! Hope that "right hamstring injury" heals up by next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

How does this work out money-wise? What's the benefit of Lemon allowing the Texans to place him on IR instead of allowing him to look for work elsewhere? He seemed to flash enough talent to get some looks elsewhere.
Old 08-28-2013   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
How does this work out money-wise? What's the benefit of Lemon allowing the Texans to place him on IR instead of allowing him to look for work elsewhere? He seemed to flash enough talent to get some looks elsewhere.
For the most part , it guarantee's his contract for the season , he may or may not get a deal with another team .... Being an UDFA , the safe bet is to take the $$ and sit.
He'll spend a year with the team .... giving him the time to absorb the offense and have a solid shot at making next years 53.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
For the most part , it guarantee's his contract for the season , he may or may not get a deal with another team .... Being an UDFA , the safe bet is to take the $$ and sit.He'll spend a year with the team .... giving him the time to absorb the offense and have a solid shot at making next years 53.
That makes sense and also explains why I don't gamble. I rarely take the safe bet.

So he gets the rookie minimum for his time on IR? I mean, there has to be some kind of financial reward for this.
Old 08-28-2013   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That makes sense and also explains why I don't gamble. I rarely take the safe bet.

So he gets the rookie minimum for his time on IR? I mean, there has to be some kind of financial reward for this.
I don't know how much his contract was to begin with , but most likely a rookie min deal. That's something like $470k I believe ... If he likes the situation here and his chances to make the roster next season I can see why he went that route.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 08-29-2013   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The reward is that he gets a guaranteed paycheck for a year while taking no risk of real injury by playing also giving him time to really learn our system and put him that much further ahead for next year. If released he also runs the chance that no one picks him up, no paycheck. I really like this move and like what I saw from Lemon in preseason. Our new found depth at WR should remove the position from our list of needs in the 2014 draft.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2013   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's the benefit of Lemon allowing the Texans to place him on IR instead of allowing him to look for work elsewhere?
Allowing the Texans? Lemon is under contract with the Texans. He can either accept going on IR or retire. Not much of a choice.
Old 08-29-2013   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143147 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Plus he get's the medical coverage; ok not like our staff has an outstanding record but beats not having any while recovering from that "right hamstring injury".

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 08-29-2013   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47294 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Allowing the Texans? Lemon is under contract with the Texans. He can either accept going on IR or retire. Not much of a choice.
Great for management, but that sucks for the union guy, and I'm a confirmed union-hater. Honestly, that really is an injustice. I dunno, is this the way its always been, or something else found in the new CBA ?
Wonder what the definition is for an injury to meet the level of qualifying for being "IR", and how is that verified by the league ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #11
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Great for management, but that sucks for the union guy, and I'm a confirmed union-hater. Honestly, that really is an injustice. I dunno, is this the way its always been, or something else found in the new CBA ?
Wonder what the definition is for an injury to meet the level of qualifying for being "IR", and how is that verified by the league ?
For all we know Lemon is extatic he is still with the team.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What's so bad about a fringe player who may or may not have a season long roster spot getting a full seasons NFL salary ?!?

Who's to say he would perform the same in a different offense .. he could be a system player , not to take anything away from the guy cause he has found himself open a hell of a lot.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 08-29-2013   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can't fathom the idea that this is "bad" for him. It means, tangibly, that he is getting paid a nice salary for at least the next 16 weeks and, intangibly, that an NFL team thinks enough of him to subvert the rules to keep him around.

Sounds like damn nice situation to be in to me.
Old 08-29-2013   #14
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't they pull him off IR during the year? If so, that is a great way squirrel away a great player...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94457 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The current CBA changed nothing in regard to how IR works, nor how the contracts of players being placed on IR are handled. Lemon's getting the full amount his one year contract stipulated, and the Texans maintain his rights for the remainder of the league year. While there are some instances where I could understand an accusation of injustice regarding NFL contracts, I don't comprehend why this would be one of them.
Old 08-29-2013   #16
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The current CBA changed nothing in regard to how IR works, nor how the contracts of players being placed on IR are handled. Lemon's getting the full amount his one year contract stipulated, and the Texans maintain his rights for the remainder of the league year. While there are some instances where I could understand an accusation of injustice regarding NFL contracts, I don't comprehend why this would be one of them.
The NFL and NFLPA agreed last year to a change for the IR allowing a team to pull a single player off IR under certain scenarios and allow them to play
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94457 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Can't they pull him off IR during the year? If so, that is a great way squirrel away a great player...
They can't. A team can have a player return from injured reserve during the year, but that is limited to one player per year per team, and that player must be designated as eligible to return at the time he's placed on injured reserve. That designation also can't be used until after the final cutdown (to 53) is completed.
Old 08-29-2013   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
They can designate one player to pull off of IR.

http://russellstreetreport.com/cap-glossary/

Quote:
Injured Reserve (IR) – Once a player is placed on Injured Reserve (IR), the player is done for the season and can not practice with the team until after the completion of the season. A player on Injured Reserve (IR) does not count against any roster limit, but does count against the team’s Salary Cap.

A player can be released from Injured Reserve (IR) once he has passed his physical and has been deemed to be recovered from his injury or if the player and team agree to an Injury Settlement. The player is then free to sign elsewhere and can participate in games for the new team.

In August of 2012, the NFL and NFLPA agreed to a new IR rule that allows a team to designated 1 player for an in-season IR spot which allows that player to return later in the season. The player has to be on the team’s 53-man roster on the Tuesday before the 1st game of the season and could then be placed on IR with the designation of “designated to return”. After that the player would have to sit out for 6 weeks, during which he cannot practice. After 6 weeks, the player could practice for 2 weeks and then be activated to the 53-man roster. The player must sit out a minimum of 8 weeks.

Quote:
Old 08-29-2013   #19
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
The NFL and NFLPA agreed last year to a change for the IR allowing a team to pull a single player off IR under certain scenarios and allow them to play
I'm aware of that, but that wasn't part of the CBA negotiated in 2011. There's also nothing in that agreement that impacts Lemon's situation.
Old 08-29-2013   #20
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They could but its doubtful. IR players are generally unable to practice with the team. The theory is if you are on IR, you are hurt and cannot practice. Normally the practice of pulling a player off the IR would be for a veteran who got hurt early and is coming back, such as Terrell Suggs.

Lemon is a rook who has not gotten any significant first team reps. It is highly doubtful he would go from there to playing on the team.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read