Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-06-2013   #1
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFLN or ESPN or what?

I need everyones opinion on this. NFLN the last I watched has turned into a steaming pile of dog **** and I've always hated ESPN with a passion. That doesn't leave me a whole lot to watch for football news and discussion coverage.

What do you guys watch? And why?

Thanks.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #2
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFLN or ESPN or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I need everyones opinion on this. NFLN the last I watched has turned into a steaming pile of dog **** and I've always hated ESPN with a passion. That doesn't leave me a whole lot to watch for football news and discussion coverage.

Thanks.
I personally like the NFLN. It's improved quite a bit over the years. This time of year is the best IMO with training camp coverage and all of the preseason games.

That said it's not something to watch for several hours a day. I just peak in here and there because there is a lot of repeat programming.

ESPN, not so much.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

Thanks.
I feel the same way you do. I will watch whichever channel that is talking Texans or are about to. Problem is, neither really seem to talk much Texans.

Also, I could really go the rest of my life without hearing one more word out of Michael Irvin.
Old 08-06-2013   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I feel the same way you do. I will watch whichever channel that is talking Texans or are about to. Problem is, neither really seem to talk much Texans.

Also, I could really go the rest of my life without hearing one more word out of Michael Irvin.
If I see Michael Irvin on the show, I don't watch it or delete it without watching it if I've DVR'd it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #5
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 17279 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I recorded the NFLN training camp segment that featured the Texans yesterday. It wasn't too bad, definitely better than Sportscenter. The only thing that sucked about it was that the segment aired all day and I had a lot of fast forwarding to do and there was a lot of topic repetition. Than again, isn't that all Sportscenter is?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 385172 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I personally like the NFLN. It's improved quite a bit over the years. This time of year is the best IMO with training camp coverage and all of the preseason games.

That said it's not something to watch for several hours a day. I just peak in here and there because there is a lot of repeat programming.

ESPN, not so much.
I agree, this is when NFLN is at its best. Inside Training Camp Live is pretty good, although it repeats.

I've had a hard time with some of NFLN's in season coverage, as some of the personalities on there are objectionable to me.

ESPN I can't stand any of the yelling back & forth shows or those involved. (Bayless et al) I do enjoy Mike & Mike when Mike & Mike are on, especially Golic.

During games I watch RedZone and love it.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #7
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 17279 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
During games I watch RedZone and love it.
No doubt about that! Once the Texans game is over I watch RedZone the rest of the day.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2013   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

NFLN has some good programming and some bad programing. ESPN has some good programming, but they have leaned so far to a sensationalist bent that I have a hard time watching them in general - not to mention their clear biases on certain things.
Old 08-06-2013   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I worked out of my living room for a long time (and I still work in a room that has a TV.)

Before NFLN, I would have it on ESPN all day long. Then when NFLN came along, I would normally watch that although I would still turn ESPN on from time to time -- I would usually watch Cold Pizza/First Take. When First Take became the Embrace Debate BS, I stopped watching ESPN in the morning.

Recently, I've taken to just turning the TV off unless I read some news on TT that makes me turn it on.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I try and watch a mixture of both
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

ESPN = All Alex Rodriguez all day

Pass
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

NFLN is okay in limited dosages.

And, I know where to watch if I want anything at all about the New York friggin' Jets. I swear they gloss that team beyond anything I can believe they deserve.
Old 08-06-2013   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
ESPN = All Alex Rodriguez all day

Pass
Yeah, what is with that? I get it, New York, Yankees, East Coast... but can we plese get back to some actual sports news, and not sports drama? When did the sports media go from tallking about sports to talking about the TMZ bullsheet in the sports world?

Im not sure ive seen a sing box score in the last 2 days because of Manziel and Arod.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #14
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't watch ESPN for non-live sports and maybe some 30 for 30's... No one latches on to a non-story and blows it out of proportion like they do. I'll watch NFLN, but they usually rerun a lot of their stuff all day long.

During the season, I like NFL Network's Playbook previews. I also like Turning Point on NBC Sports Network. I don't think ESPN has an X's and O's NFL program anymore. They used to have one (I think Suzy Colber hosted it), but of course all they care about is the ratings and what the herd thinks, so they run crap like First Take all day.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #15
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

If I watch it's normally nfln. There's usually nothing worth viewing though. These boards are a better source for news and updates.

Espn blows and I avoid it unless a game is on.

Redzone is awesome. It drives my wife crazy but being able to watch out of market games is great - even if the "remote" is in someone elses hands.
Old 08-06-2013   #16
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't watch either one of them. I have my own sports network just bumping aroung the net looking at info I want, watching videos I want. For example, watched the Deion Sanders videos yesterday, one where he interviewed Ed Reed and another where he was talking to the Texans players. Watched at my own leisure, my own time, my own choosing, not ESPN's or NFLN's.

Gone are the days of waiting through 45 minutes of Tebow talk on an hour show to get a 90 second afterthought on the Texans. I'll go find that **** myself.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
If I watch it's normally nfln. There's usually nothing worth viewing though. These boards are a better source for news and updates.
Television is just not a good medium for mundane news. The internet is way better for this type of information gathering. Training camp reviews and transaction reports are important to us hardcore fans, but really are not anything I need a visual picture.

Now if there is an in progress, on going story, television is great. Live coverage of disaster type events is generally exceptional as is coverage of things of sports drama like Johnny football l since the viewer can get bunches of viewpoints quickly. the problem is that television knows this and tries to make stories where one does not exist.
Old 08-06-2013   #18
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I can't watch ESPN for non-live sports and maybe some 30 for 30's... No one latches on to a non-story and blows it out of proportion like they do. I'll watch NFLN, but they usually rerun a lot of their stuff all day long.

During the season, I like NFL Network's Playbook previews. I also like Turning Point on NBC Sports Network. I don't think ESPN has an X's and O's NFL program anymore. They used to have one (I think Suzy Colber hosted it), but of course all they care about is the ratings and what the herd thinks, so they run crap like First Take all day.
I can't say whether or not it will be back for the 2013 season, but the NFL Matchup show that Ron Jaworski has done for years (I think it started out as Edge NFL Matchup) was still around as of last season. Early Sunday mornings on ESPN2 as I recall.
Old 08-06-2013   #19
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I can't say whether or not it will be back for the 2013 season, but the NFL Matchup show that Ron Jaworski has done for years (I think it started out as Edge NFL Matchup) was still around as of last season. Early Sunday mornings on ESPN2 as I recall.
Thanks! Didn't realize that. I'll watch out for it this season.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Now if there is an in progress, on going story, television is great. Live coverage of disaster type events is generally exceptional...
So you must really enjoy the coverage of Jets training camp.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read