Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013   #621
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How do we know it was a called draw? For all we know, Keenum made that call all by himself, after all that spread was his specialty at UH...

He may have taken a look at the defense before the snap, & made up his mind that he'll make one read then go.
I think you're on to something. Did you notice the way Keenum was grinning after that successful draw? I think, as the play unfolded, he saw all the DBs with their backs turned in coverage and took off through a gap in the pocket because he saw he had free-for-the-taking yards.

He tried it again about 2 or 3 plays later but the D was watching for it.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #622
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I think you're on to something. Did you notice the way Keenum was grinning after that successful draw? I think, as the play unfolded, he saw all the DBs with their backs turned in coverage and took off through a gap in the pocket because he saw he had free-for-the-taking yards.

He tried it again about 2 or 3 plays later but the D was watching for it.
The first play wasn't a draw. No one was open and he ran for yards. Kubiak himself stated that.

The second play was nothing like that. He didn't even scan the field. It was a called draw...not sure why TK has this fetish with Keenum going all rogue.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #623
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 11376 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

great pre-season battle with keenum vs yates. regardless, both backups have stepped up their game. i personally had keenum a slight edge over yates overall. he had a couple deep balls in the end zone and had plays like 4 and 1 and ran the ball for the first. he's going to be good. can't imagine keenum throwing to AJ, Foster, and Daniels....
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #624
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

While we can easily look at the QBs & say, "This guy looks good, That guy looked better, etc, etc, etc.... "

We really don't know what the coach is asking him to do..... There might have been a great TD pass, but IF the QB didn't properly read the defense & adjusted his first read, to where he missed the first/second open receiver, thereby not getting the ball out on time.

Maybe he didn't adjust to the hot route on the blitz? Still made a great play that moved the chains, but if he's not reading the defense, not picking up keys, not on the same page with the receivers.... then you're not really utilizing your offense to it's potential. We know this offense can generate 25+ points per game with "the right" QB (without taking many chances) & ~17 or so with the wrong guy (taking chance after chance after chance).
Old 08-30-2013   #625
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While we can easily look at the QBs & say, "This guy looks good, That guy looked better, etc, etc, etc.... "

We really don't know what the coach is asking him to do..... There might have been a great TD pass, but IF the QB didn't properly read the defense & adjusted his first read, to where he missed the first/second open receiver, thereby not getting the ball out on time.

Maybe he didn't adjust to the hot route on the blitz? Still made a great play that moved the chains, but if he's not reading the defense, not picking up keys, not on the same page with the receivers.... then you're not really utilizing your offense to it's potential. We know this offense can generate 25+ points per game with "the right" QB (without taking many chances) & ~17 or so with the wrong guy (taking chance after chance after chance).
Not going to disagree with any of those hypotheticals being possible, but as it stands it is just as likely that Keenum did exactly what he was asked to do.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #626
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Not going to disagree with any of those hypotheticals being possible, but as it stands it is just as likely that Keenum did exactly what he was asked to do.
Yeah, that and I'll go ahead and disagree with his hypotheticals as it makes no sense.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #627
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I didn't watch the game, so I don't know. It is very possible that Keenum did everything he was supposed to.... I'm just saying we don't know. Only Kubiak & the QB coaches do.

However, I know Kubiak stresses footwork, part of that is because it is the QB's method of keeping time. On a three step drop, that ball is supposed to come out on the third step. On a five step drop, it's supposed to come out on the fifth, etc...

There are many reasons the ball may not come out on time, many are legit, some aren't. If Keenum (or Tj for that matter) is getting the ball out on time more often than not... great. If they aren't getting it out on time for legit reasons... great.

If they're acting like Vince Young, not recognizing their reads, not making the right adjustments... but still winning games, you're playing with fools gold.

Let's watch Colin Kaepernick this year & see if he's actually progressing as a QB. If he's playing the same way he played last year (RG3 as well) I guarantee you he won't have the same success, either he won't play 16 games, or defenses will figure him out.

At the same time, if the Chiefs can stay healthy I guarantee you they'll make the play offs. Alex Smith probably won't get any credit & Jamaal Charles probably will, but Smith will do his job, no doubt in my mind.

Keep in mind, I don't care if Case or Tj "wins" the back up QB spot. What I said goes for both guys equally.
Old 08-30-2013   #628
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it a correct assumption that Keenum was put into more challenging positions than Schaub and Yates this preseason?

Third and long; fourth down situation; pass play from deep in his own end zone, etc. ?

Also, was he pressured more than the other two QBs, or at least responded better in pressure situations?

Or am I imagining it?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #629
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Is it a correct assumption that Keenum was put into more challenging positions than Schaub and Yates this preseason?

Third and long; fourth down situation; pass play from deep in his own end zone, etc. ?

Also, was he pressured more than the other two QBs, or at least responded better in pressure situations?

Or am I imagining it?
I don't think those are the things Kubiak is looking for. He's looking for the guy that runs his offense the most efficiently.
Old 08-30-2013   #630
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think those are the things Kubiak is looking for. He's looking for the guy that runs his offense the most efficiently.
He still needs to run the offense the way Kubiak wants him to; I'm not saying anything differently.
Old 08-30-2013   #631
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 296273 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If Keenum didn't prove to his distractors that he's a future NFL QB during this pre-season then nothing will.

I see a day when Keenum is our starter. Or, if the Texans really **** this one up, someone else's starter.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #632
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 95025 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum proved that he could be the starter for this team one day, and I would like to see it happen. However, Yates performed well enough to keep his spot. This competition will happen again next year, and it will be even more interesting.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #633
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If Keenum didn't prove to his distractors that he's a future NFL QB during this pre-season then nothing will.

I see a day when Keenum is our starter. Or, if the Texans really **** this one up, someone else's starter.
Strong words, indeed.
Old 08-30-2013   #634
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
However, I know Kubiak stresses footwork, part of that is because it is the QB's method of keeping time. On a three step drop, that ball is supposed to come out on the third step. On a five step drop, it's supposed to come out on the fifth, etc...
one of case's strengths in my opinion, is he has amazing footwork. his plant, mobility in the pocket, and foot speed are ideal. two plays stood out to me last night. one was a rollout to his left with the ROLB or RE coming at him and he was able to outrun the defender without ever taking his eyes off the field or taking his upper body away from throwing position (dropped by jean). schaub would've started backtracking to the sideline and thrown it away as the defender flattened him. the other was the pass from our endzone, case takes his drop, moves left and then up in the pocket, and fires a strike. great feet.
Old 08-30-2013   #635
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Then I guess nothing will.

Call me hard headed, but I'm still not convinced Kaepernick or Luck can be starters in this league.
Old 08-30-2013   #636
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then I guess nothing will.

Call me hard headed, but I'm still not convinced Kaepernick or Luck can be starters in this league.
But . . . they already are starters in this league.
Old 08-30-2013   #637
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 296273 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
But . . . they already are starters in this league.
Yeah, that kind of had me scratching my head as well.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #638
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
call me hard headed, but i'm still not convinced kaepernick or luck can be starters in this league.
lmao
Old 08-30-2013   #639
foo82
Veteran

Rep Power: 2895 foo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Throwing rhetoric aside (IE arm strength, height), based on his play out there during preaseason, how would you characterize Keenum's weaknesses? I didn't see any instance of lack of arm strength or a significant number of batted passes.

I don't see a huge weakness that would limit him from being a starter.
foo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #640
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo82 View Post
Throwing rhetoric aside (IE arm strength, height), based on his play out there during preaseason, how would you characterize Keenum's weaknesses? I didn't see any instance of lack of arm strength or a significant number of batted passes.

I don't see a huge weakness that would limit him from being a starter.
I think he's done all HE can at this point for coaches to have faith in him. We won't know about his strengths/weaknesses in a real game vs real competition until he actually gets a chance to play in a game that matters vs other team's top defense.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read