Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013   #381
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

People who think arm strength is about throwing 40+ yard passes do not understand arm strength.
Old 08-18-2013   #382
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Tannehill showed arm strength on that throw to split defenders for that TD.

That's the kind of throw Schaub struggles with and it's why if our running game isn't going in the red zone we struggle to score TDs.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013   #383
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
No what's "doubly retarded" is your asinine assuptions (and you know what they say about assuming). Please show me where in the hell I ever said the Jets would pick up Case
And the wheel keeps going. I'm sure you'll move the goalposts some more in order to make a long winded post that boils down to "No I didn't say that".

Anyways, pedantic arguments with Carr Bombed aside, now that we have two games worth of Keenum ball along with some Kubiak comments Case has made himself a question to make the 53. I wonder if he comes in as 2nd QB against NO.
Old 08-18-2013   #384
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
And considering all of that the battle favors who in your opinion?
i give it to keenum, especially if we needed to sub a guy in. a backup who's different from the starter (especially a mobile one) is a huge mess for the defense to adjust to. TK is right that yates will likely hold onto the job this year because of his experience, but as of right now i have keenum being the better player - and with a higher ceiling.
Old 08-18-2013   #385
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Noticed today while watching both games that yates seems to have had a forgotten drive. At the end of the first half in the first game yates engineered what should have been a scoring drive. Bulluck missed the kick. Yate's play here seems to be overlooked due to the technical difficulties encountered by abc. The running game was ineffective for yates week 1 as well.

Not that I have a dog in the race. May the best qb win. Just an observation.
Old 08-19-2013   #386
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

That's the kind of throw Schaub struggles with and it's why if our running game isn't going in the red zone we struggle to score TDs.
WINNER!

Noone on our team has that kind of arm strength to make the "unopen" receivers open, also is there never a time when they throw the ball before the receiver breaks?

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #387
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't lie. I'm starting to drink the Case koolaid myself. I need to see a lot more, but there were a couple of throws he made that really impressed me. His boots and his ability to move also make me wonder how much more this offense is capable of.

One play that he made really impressed me. The Dolphins ran a stunt up front where a D-Lineman came free inside. Case just kind of gave him a fake, rolled out. and ended up throwing the ball away. It was a 1st and 10 play, but it wasn't a negative play that would've put us behind the chains. All I could think was if that was Schaub we'd be staring at 2nd and 16 right there. Someone else said it, but if Kubiak had any kind of guts he'd let Case get a series or 2 next week with the ones at the end of the half and after.

Last edited by Texn4life; 08-19-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2013   #388
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
People who think arm strength is about throwing 40+ yard passes do not understand arm strength.
When you throw a 45-yd deep out to a receiver than can run a 4.44 in stride, it's called arm strength, is it not?

You simply cannot lob the ball for it to get there that soon.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #389
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
When you throw a 45-yd deep out to a receiver than can run a 4.44 in stride, it's called arm strength, is it not?

You simply cannot lob the ball for it to get there that soon.
There is no such thing as a 45 yard deep out route.. Or are you saying 45 yards across the field.. If so, very few in any QB's should ever attempt to throw a deep out 15 yards across the field.. you'll get benched before long.

Old 08-19-2013   #390
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
There is no such thing as a 45 yard deep out route.. Or are you saying 45 yards across the field.. If so, very few in any QB's should ever attempt to throw a deep out 15 yards across the field.. you'll get benched before long.
I'm sorry, I meant to say a go route to the corner of the end zone, like the two he threw to Lemon at the end of the half.

BTW, I just rewatched those two plays, and each time he released the ball just after the 2-sec mark, with a defender pushing the blocker right close to Keenum. If he had a little cleaner of a pocket, either one of those could have very well been a TD.

I heard that Lemon was bumped on the second play as well, but the TV feed from the Miami channel (that I have) doesn't show it.
Old 08-19-2013   #391
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sorry, I meant to say a go route to the corner of the end zone, like the two he threw to Lemon at the end of the half.

BTW, I just rewatched those two plays, and each time he released the ball just after the 2-sec mark, with a defender pushing the blocker right close to Keenum. If he had a little cleaner of a pocket, either one of those could have very well been a TD.

I heard that Lemon was bumped on the second play as well, but the TV feed from the Miami channel (that I have) doesn't show it.
It was a hold on Lemon.
Old 08-19-2013   #392
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
It was a hold on Lemon.
Did they show it on the Houston feed with the correct angle, or did you see it at the game?
Old 08-19-2013   #393
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i kept thinking andre would've caught at least one of those. i think it was the second one - lemon got off poorly, ended up curling from inside out, and then slowed to make contact with the DB ... and he's not the fastest guy ever to begin with. that looked like one where keenum drops it on a spot and his receiver is supposed to run under it, dre probably gets there.
Old 08-19-2013   #394
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
WINNER!

Noone on our team has that kind of arm strength to make the "unopen" receivers open, also is there never a time when they throw the ball before the receiver breaks?
You should re-watch Schaub's very first completion to A.J. 'Dre ran a ~ 15 yd IN and Schaub let the ball go just before A.J. made his inside cut. When he turned in the ball was on him.

Point is, we make timing throws like that more often than people think.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #395
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets keep expectations in check here. This was a preseason game vs 2's. As good as i thought he looked no one is game planning vs Case. Lets stop working on the HOF bust. IJS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #396
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did they show it on the Houston feed with the correct angle, or did you see it at the game?
I saw it at the game.
Old 08-19-2013   #397
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
There was no hold, that play is almost directly in front and at first I thought it was a hold till the replay showed it. It was a bump down the field but it wasn't a hold.

Old 08-19-2013   #398
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That's a good example of why arm strength is important.

It should also be taken into account when things don't go right & the QB has to make something happen. Throwing on the run, throwing off his back foot, not being able to follow through, throwing across your body... all the things you're not supposed to do, but inevitably have to.

A strong arm can compensate for not being able to set your feet right or other conditions that are less than ideal.
Old 08-19-2013   #399
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Just to be picky.....

That throw had nothing to do with throwing someone open. That was about Wallace selling the inside route.

No one on the defensive side of the ball has any idea where the receivers are going to go. They more or less guess & use their help. Jjo had Wallace up to about the 1 yard line, then widened his coverage incase Wallace broke to the flat. Manning stood on the goal line, then widened towards the post in case Wallace went behind him.

Wallace made it look like he was going to break his route behind Manning, but stopped on a dime & turned around.

Tannehill must have known that was an option on that route & because of where Manning was, he anticpated Wallace would come back to him. His ability to zip it in there made it impossible for either Manning or Jjo to recover..... watching, you can see that they realized their mistake, they just didn't have enough time to get back.

Cutler threw a nice TD with Zip to Brandon Marshall as well. It was near the sideline, so it was much farther than the actual yard markers & BM had a DB draped on him. Cutler was able to get that ball into Marshall's gut before the defender could even swipe at it.

Mind you arm strength isn't everything. I'd much rather have Schaub (though I'm not a fan) than Cutler.
Old 08-19-2013   #400
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Lets keep expectations in check here. This was a preseason game vs 2's. As good as i thought he looked no one is game planning vs Case. Lets stop working on the HOF bust. IJS...
Dude, nobody is saying he's going to the freaking HOF! We're all talking backup QB. BACKUP!! Well, with the exception of one or two who thinks he should take over for Schaub now.

It IS pre-season so in pre-season we talk not so much about the game and strategy but more about position battles. A few starting spots like the o-line, but a lot about backup/depth.

If you don't care for Keenum that's fine. But to constantly rag on the dude because you don't like him, think he's Timmy Chang, think he's too short, buy the BS weak arm crap or whatever, and totally ignore the fact that he looks like a decent NFL BACKUP right now and is battling like a mother against Yates, then I don't know man. I don't know what to tell people like that.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read