Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Salary Cap Info:

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
If they feel they need cap room ($218K over the cap can't be right since you have to be under, if I understand it correctly) AND feel they want Antonio Smith, they should resign him before the season and create cap room that way.

Texian

Hall of Fame
If they feel they need cap room ($218K over the cap can't be right since you have to be under, if I understand it correctly) AND feel they want Antonio Smith, they should resign him before the season and create cap room that way.
Currently salary cap is figured on 51 contracts. When Texans have to get down to 53 man roster/contracts they will have to add two more salaries/contracts. That definitely will put them over. Someone(s) will have to restructure. I'm guessing Texans will restructure close to $5 million and hope that gets them through the end of the year.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Although his contract is for $1 million, what comes into play at this point in time is the fact that his only guaranteed money is his signing bonus of $285,000.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Currently salary cap is figured on 51 contracts. When Texans have to get down to 53 man roster/contracts they will have to add two more salaries/contracts. That definitely will put them over. Someone(s) will have to restructure. I'm guessing Texans will restructure close to $5 million and hope that gets them through the end of the year.
it must be tough to live on +5 million a year, i feel for some of these guys :kitten:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Buh-bye Wade

Left guard Wade Smith made the Pro Bowl last season, but Duane Brown and Chris Myers had a lot to do with that. Smith turned 32 in the offseason and if the Texans had someone who could push him for a starting job, the $3 million in non-guaranteed base salary he's scheduled to earn this season would have him on the chopping block.

buh-Bye...

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Although his contract is for $1 million, what comes into play at this point in time is the fact that his only guaranteed money is his signing bonus of $285,000.
That's not correct - as long as his base salary (guaranteed or not) combined with any amortized bonus and "likely to be earned" incentives put him in the top 51 cap hits on the roster, he's counted against the cap at the full value of the previous three items. Think about it - there are very few guaranteed base salaries in the NFL. If the non-guaranteed base salaries were not counted against the salary cap unless/until they were actually earned, there wouldn't be a team in the NFL that had a cap problem until opening weekend of the season.

For the record, "likely to be earned" is defined by whether or not the measure was reached in the previous season. Mays has a $100,000 roster bonus in his Texans contract, and I'm guessing since he made the Broncos roster last season, the $100,000 is included in the Texans current cap amount.

One other item that kind of relates to this. Mays is a vested veteran (meaning he has 4 or more accrued seasons). As such, if he is on the opening day roster, his entire 2013 salary becomes guaranteed.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That's not correct - as long as his base salary (guaranteed or not) combined with any amortized bonus and "likely to be earned" incentives put him in the top 51 cap hits on the roster, he's counted against the cap at the full value of the previous three items. Think about it - there are very few guaranteed base salaries in the NFL. If the non-guaranteed base salaries were not counted against the salary cap unless/until they were actually earned, there wouldn't be a team in the NFL that had a cap problem until opening weekend of the season.

For the record, "likely to be earned" is defined by whether or not the measure was reached in the previous season. Mays has a $100,000 roster bonus in his Texans contract, and I'm guessing since he made the Broncos roster last season, the $100,000 is included in the Texans current cap amount.

One other item that kind of relates to this. Mays is a vested veteran (meaning he has 4 or more accrued seasons). As such, if he is on the opening day roster, his entire 2013 salary becomes guaranteed.
I see what you are saying. But is the actual cap based on today's roster or on the top 51 on the season roster.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
I see what you are saying. But is the actual cap based on today's roster or on the top 51 on the season roster.
It's based on today's top 51 salaries. I'm not even sure what you mean by the "season roster".

As was previously mentioned, effective after final cuts, the cap expands to 53 (the active roster), and also will include players on the practice squad, injured reserve, and the reserve PUP.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Mays signed a 1 yr deal for $1 Million, his 2013 salary cap hit is $1 million if he makes the 53 man roster, if he doesn't his GTD $285K will be counted as Dead Money. Right now, today, Mays $1 million contract is part of the 51 highest contracts and his $1 million currently counts against the salary cap.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Mays signed a 1 yr deal for $1 Million, his 2013 salary cap hit is $1 million if he makes the 53 man roster, if he doesn't his GTD $285K will be counted as Dead Money. Right now, today, Mays $1 million contract is part of the 51 highest contracts and his $1 million currently counts against the salary cap.
That is what I believe was trying to explain to me, but I was a little dense.......that totally clarifies it for me. Thanks

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
It's based on today's top 51 salaries. I'm not even sure what you mean by the "season roster".

As was previously mentioned, effective after final cuts, the cap expands to 53 (the active roster), and also will include players on the practice squad, injured reserve, and the reserve PUP.
Took me awhile, but got it! Appreciate your response.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Is it true that the Texans can designate KW as a post-June 1st cut, thus prorating the dead money between 2013 and 2014?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Is it true that the Texans can designate KW as a post-June 1st cut, thus prorating the dead money between 2013 and 2014?
I believe that the CBA states that teams can cut up to two players pre June 1st and designate them as post June 1 cuts and treat them accordingly. A player cut after June 1 (Post), with any dead money due (Money GTD, Prepaid bonus), the dead money can be allocated between the current league year and the following league year.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Slightly different numbers everywhere: http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-updated-2013-cap-number-2/

Contracts: 90
Unadjusted Team Cap: $123,000,000.00
Previous Year Carryover: $2,422,689.00
Team Cap: $124,283,281.00
Cap Room: $763,445.00
Despite the small cap room the Texans still can open up space moving into next season and this season. The prime candidates are extensions for Brian Cushing or Antonio Smith.
Pretty sure Cushing is still on his rookie contract, so it can be extended, but the terms of this last year cannot be modified. So, his extension wouldn't generate any additional cap space.

Antonio Smith, on the other hand, absolutely.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Next year should be awfully interesting. Luckily, I think the Texan's have been able to stockpile some decent depth, with potential starters at several positions that currently have higher priced starters, and they can shed some players that will allow them to make some key signings, like Cush, extend Watt for 1 million years, etc. The salary cap still makes my head hurt.