Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texian is Here Ready for 2014

Texian

Hall of Fame
Bringing my draft discussions here to Texans Talk. I've decided to leave Houston Texans message board. I hope some of my fellow draftniks will follow me over.

For starters this was my 2014 Texans Mock Draft done a few days after the 2013 NFL Draft.

1. David Fales, QB, San Jose State - Could be the best pure passer in college in 13" (an Aaron Rodgers kinda of story)

2. Marcus Williams, CB, North Dakota State - small school, 2 time All American, 15 INTs in 37 games

3. Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, GA Tech

4. Crockett Gilmore, TE, Colo St.

5. Shamiel Gary, SS, Okla St.

6. Louis Young, CB, GA Tech

7. Trey Hopkins, OG, Texas

and this is my 2013 post draft -Draft for the Texans:

1. Tank Carradine, DE, FSU
2. Robert Alford, CB, SELA
3. Stedman Bailey, WR, WVU
3. Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
4. John Simon, OLB/ILB, OSU
6. Bacari Rambo, FS, UGA
6. Reid Fragel, OT, OSU
6. D. C. Jefferson, TE, Rutgers
6. Jonathan Stewart, ILB, TAM

Ready to get 2014 Started.

Bringing my draft discussions here to Texans Talk. I've decided to leave Houston Texans message board. I hope some of my fellow draftniks will follow me over.

For starters this was my 2014 Texans Mock Draft done a few days after the 2013 NFL Draft.

1. David Fales, QB, San Jose State - Could be the best pure passer in college in 13" (an Aaron Rodgers kinda of story)

2. Marcus Williams, CB, North Dakota State - small school, 2 time All American, 15 INTs in 37 games

3. Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
6. Bacari Rambo, FS, UGA
6. Reid Fragel, OT, OSU

Nate's already here. You guys will really like it here around draft time. All year actually.

Don't be shy about signing up for the TT mock draft. It's a hoot.

BTW, Welcome aboard.

Welcome

Looking forward to you being a TT Mock Draft participant.

We always enjoy the back and forth discussion, without all of the petty childish name calling that happens on other MB's. Rock-N-Randy participted last yr and seemed to have a good time.

I made a post on your thread regarding your departure on the other board. On how they ran off one of the best guys on future prospects. And got a 50 point infraction and was given a stern warning by dbruder44. Lol. Those guys have turned that place into their personal boards. All the mods over their are in the same tailgate crew!

I made a post on your thread regarding your departure on the other board. On how they ran off one of the best guys on future prospects. And got a 50 point infraction and was given a stern warning by dbruder44. Lol. Those guys have turned that place into their personal boards. All the mods over their are in the same tailgate crew!

Lets not get ahead of ours selves
I mean if you wanna crown him, then crown him.
Bahahaha what's good old timer?

Add me

All kidding aside Mr. Texian is a tad old fashioned but I like the simplicity in that and how he looks at prospects
More of a basics kind of fellow
But a keen eye for talent and a beautiful mind

Much respect for this man's opinion when it comes to draft, prospects, breakdowns, and scouting.

Welcome to all the new guys to the Mock forum. Most of us in here take it seriously and enjoy the back & forth including debate. We do not particularly care for name calling or bashing each other, as we are all Texans fans. Several of us watch a lot of college ball and game film and eagerly share that and appreciate any new info. Some of us also write for blogs and if anyone interested, pm me and I will share that link.

OP I also am watching Fales but have him ranked lower for now due to large number of QBs that could come out. He is an incredibly accurate passer.

Are you serious?. Wow I saw that post didn't see anything wrong with it.

Yes sir. He erased the post and gave me 50 points. Warned me not to post in that thread again or "I will be gone." It's gotten ridiculous.

Sorry to read this H-town, this was never my intent. However your story does not surprise me and it's episodes like this why I decided it was time to move on.

welcome Texian, very interested to follow your work :kitten:

Let me begin by saying Texans will not select a QB in the first round in 2014. It's just not their MO. However I do sense a similar pattern @ another coveted & expensive position of need, that you had Texans selecting in 2nd this past draft & 2nd in next years draft & that's cornerback. Do, can or will Texans be able to retain Kareem Jackson? I would assume they lock up Cushing but pay dearly then with Watt on horizon well maybe Roc or Harris can fill the void a year or two? So in the NFL 2014 Draft the Houston Texans select -

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon 5-10 190

Athletic, physical plays big with natural instincts. Displays fluid hips with plus recovery speed. Really like his game, similar to KJ but better ball skills.

http://rosterwatch.com/2014-nfl-draft-spotlight-ifo-ekpre-olomu-cb-oregon

ifoekpreolomujpg-6af75e3c12949cba.jpg

welcome Texian, very interested to follow your work :kitten:

Let me begin by saying Texans will not select a QB in the first round in 2014. It's just not their MO. However I do sense a similar pattern @ another coveted & expensive position of need, that you had Texans selecting in 2nd this past draft & 2nd in next years draft & that's cornerback. Do, can or will Texans be able to retain Kareem Jackson? I would assume they lock up Cushing but pay dearly then with Watt on horizon well maybe Roc or Harris can fill the void a year or two? So in the NFL 2014 Draft the Houston Texans select -

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon 5-10 190

Athletic, physical plays big with natural instincts. Displays fluid hips with plus recovery speed. Really like his game, similar to KJ but better ball skills.

Thanks for the update beerlover, I will put him on my watch list. You find that I am a bit of a contrarian. At the end of 2010 I was calling and pounding the table for Bob McNair to hire Jim Harbaugh, in the 10' I wanted Bulaga as the #1 pick, last year I said the Texans needed to go all in for RGIII as an answer to Andrew Luck or facing returning to the existence of their first 10 years. When that didn't happen I thought OT Cordy Glenn was the best player for the Texans. Starting 2013 season RT still seems to be the weak link in the O. As for Fales and 2014 it's still early but it is becoming increasingly clear that Schaub does a very good Tony Romo impression just like Tony when the lights are at their brightest.

Some thoughts on Texans FAs, if redundant it is because I posted them long time ago.

2013 final contract year:

Antonio Smith cap hit $9.5m good player but not great .
Cushing cap hit $4.6m
Wade Smith hit $3.75m goes to Cushing topping him at $8.35m
* Earl Smith hit $0.827 here is kicker but won't get much as a NT.

2014 last contract year:

Watt cap hit $3.75m extend him early '13 off season $3.75 + A.S. 9.5= $13.25 m

Here is where Ric Smith earns his money:

KJ team option 2014 $2.9m
Derek Newton $ .66m
B. Harris $1 m
TJ Yates $ .69m
Carmichael $ .74m

This is without any deals such as:

Manning if cut after 2013 saves $4.5m with $1.5m owed to cap. He turns 31 August 9th
Ed Reed if cut after 2013 saves a little bit & his $5m guaranteed paid end of 2013.

Thanks for the update beerlover, I will put him on my watch list. You find that I am a bit of a contrarian. At the end of 2010 I was calling and pounding the table for Bob McNair to hire Jim Harbaugh, in the 10' I wanted Bulaga as the #1 pick, last year I said the Texans needed to go all in for RGIII as an answer to Andrew Luck or facing returning to the existence of their first 10 years. When that didn't happen I thought OT Cordy Glenn was the best player for the Texans. Starting 2013 season RT still seems to be the weak link in the O. As for Fales and 2014 it's still early but it is becoming increasingly clear that Schaub does a very good Tony Romo impression just like Tony when the lights are at their brightest.

You know it's easy to take a contrarian viewpoint when it comes to the Texans especially the QB position ever since their first awful drafting of David Carr. I think everybody here feels contrarian that the position needs to get more athletic ala RG3. But let's face facts, all chips are in & by all reports Matt is in the best athletic shape of his career, ready for prime time. I also get a strong feeling the future successor is already on the roster in Case Keenam. I just can't see them blow this whole plan apart unless this season does & that is too horrific & negative to contemplate this early with all the positives. My biggest question right now will they keep TJ or move him for a player or future pick (hoping for the latter).

You know it's easy to take a contrarian viewpoint when it comes to the Texans especially the QB position ever since their first awful drafting of David Carr. I think everybody here feels contrarian that the position needs to get more athletic ala RG3. But let's face facts, all chips are in & by all reports Matt is in the best athletic shape of his career, ready for prime time. I also get a strong feeling the future successor is already on the roster in Case Keenam. I just can't see them blow this whole plan apart unless this season does & that is too horrific & negative to contemplate this early with all the positives. My biggest question right now will they keep TJ or move him for a player or future pick (hoping for the latter).

It took me awhile to become a contrarian. I was on the Kubiak bandwagon until he hired Frank Bush without doing one interview with one the several available DC that had Top 10 defenses. That said to me Kubiak is more committed to the "Buddy Plan" than a "Commitment to Excellence".

I was one of the first to suggest the Texans go after Matt Schaub. When I suggested Schaub to John McClain he said no way Texans would trade for him. At the time I said Schaub would be a Top 10-15 QB. Well Schaub is a Top 10-15 NFL. A Top 10 QB maybe, maybe not. A Top 5 NO! I'm not sure about this but I think it is possible that some of Schaubs problems might be Kubiak's micro managing of the game and that has Schuab on a very short leash on what he can do and what he can change. Today, Schaub is not the best QB in AFC South and IMHO that will become more and more evident with each passing year. In fact it could become reminiscent of when Peyton Manning was a Colt.

I personally don't think there is any trade value for TJ unless another team suffers a QB injury between now and start of the season.

Fortunately for our offense a top 5 QB is not needed and one of the reasons I think Keenum could be Texans' future. From info coming from TC, he is a pretty accurate passer as he was in college. It is two different leagues but an indicator of how he might do. I am hoping Schaub & Yates are gone after 2014. Picks or a significant player would be nice. Like BL, I lean towards draft pick. Interesting to see how Case looks after 2 more seasons.

Lets not get ahead of ours selves
I mean if you wanna crown him, then crown him.
Bahahaha what's good old timer?

Add me

All kidding aside Mr. Texian is a tad old fashioned but I like the simplicity in that and how he looks at prospects
More of a basics kind of fellow
But a keen eye for talent and a beautiful mind

Much respect for this man's opinion when it comes to draft, prospects, breakdowns, and scouting.

Agree 100 % with you here Randy. Have always enjoyed his comments as well. Hoping dwrek migrates as well if he hasn't already..

3. Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
6. Bacari Rambo, FS, UGA
6. Reid Fragel, OT, OSU

Glad to see I have found the prodigal child... Look forward to seeing your posts..

Hopefully Case moves up to QB2 this season, so if anything happens to Schaub Case will be next up. This way we will get a chance to see if Case is the future.

I do believe at this point Schaub is damaged goods. Do to his foot injury he will start out the season strong but fade at the end. The exact opposite of what you want in your QB.

BTW, I'm a Keenum fan.

Hopefully Case moves up to QB2 this season, so if anything happens to Schaub Case will be next up. This way we will get a chance to see if Case is the future.

I do believe at this point Schaub is damaged goods. Do to his foot injury he will start out the season strong but fade at the end. The exact opposite of what you want in your QB.

BTW, I'm a Keenum fan.

Same here!

to continue the QB discussion I'm really hoping Bryn Renner from NC has a massive year i really like him. only thing i dont understand is how people say he has an undersized arm looks pretty good to me

Glad you guys are here.
I normally don't get involved with scouting college players much during the NFL season. I'll watch the games and pay attention to a few guys here and there, usually at certain positions I think the Texans may draft next year.

It's always good to have more eyes and ears.
Welcome!

I've never heard of this "draft" nonsense...and college football is for NERDS!!!!!

David Carr was always the answer, look at the two rings...you can't deny rings. He is clearly better than Dan Marino ever was.

Honestly, I haven't begun digging into the NCAA scene for the upcoming season as of yet...things here in Afghanistan have gotten complicated, plus when I stopped participating over at the other place, I just kinda shifted focus. Ending my contract in a few days, heading out to see the fiancee in SE Asia, then likely back to the good ol' USofA before the start of 2014.

Good to see you around Texian...the issues concerning you there are what prompted me to end my long tenure elsewhere. Randy, Ringo, revan...someone else on the first page, name escapes me (h-towntexans maybe)...good to see you fellas here as well.

I've never heard of this "draft" nonsense...and college football is for NERDS!!!!!

David Carr was always the answer, look at the two rings...you can't deny rings. He is clearly better than Dan Marino ever was.

Honestly, I haven't begun digging into the NCAA scene for the upcoming season as of yet...things here in Afghanistan have gotten complicated, plus when I stopped participating over at the other place, I just kinda shifted focus. Ending my contract in a few days, heading out to see the fiancee in SE Asia, then likely back to the good ol' USofA before the start of 2014.

Good to see you around Texian...the issues concerning you there are what prompted me to end my long tenure elsewhere. Randy, Ringo, revan...someone else on the first page, name escapes me (h-towntexans maybe)...good to see you fellas here as well.

Welcome to another very good football mind. He always seems to bring sense to the situation. Good see you made it to Texans Talk. I think you will like it and also see many familiar names. Looking forward to the 2013 seasons and our many conversations.

Welcome to another very good football mind. He always seems to bring sense to the situation. Good see you made it to Texans Talk. I think you will like it and also see many familiar names. Looking forward to the 2013 seasons and our many conversations.
For sure. A new start...now I'm just a noob and not one of the longest tenured members of the place. Outta make things interesting. :)

For sure. A new start...now I'm just a noob and not one of the longest tenured members of the place. Outta make things interesting. :)

Gcates, if you don't mind me asking, where's in SEA is your fiancé from?

I was born in Sai Gon, Viet Nam, in 59.

to continue the QB discussion I'm really hoping Bryn Renner from NC has a massive year i really like him. only thing i dont understand is how people say he has an undersized arm looks pretty good to me

I've seen him a few times, but haven't really zeroed in on him yet so I can't really say much.

Fales, on the other hand, caught my attention.
I agreed with Texian here; I think people will start to hear about him more as the season rolls along.

BTW, there are several guys who have been really into the college scene here on the board, but the three amigos (Badboy, beelover, and rmartin) are like year-round groupies (haha). Their contribution is highly appreciated.

Gcates, if you don't mind me asking, where's in SEA is your fiancé from?

I was born in Sai Gon, Viet Nam, in 59.
Northern Thailand, just a hop, skip and a jump from Laos. Hot, humid...kinda reminds me of some summer days in Texas.

I think he's going to have a good season. I will let you know though as I will be watching everyone of his games.

Welcome Texian...
Welcome Gcates...

We've got a pretty good group of guys that frequent the Draft Talk page semi regularly. I can't wait to start seeing some 2014 mocks and names of players to keep and eye on. So far 2014 looks to be a very good year for CB, but only average at 3-4 ILB. It's still very early though.

Welcome Texian...
Welcome Gcates...

We've got a pretty good group of guys that frequent the Draft Talk page semi regularly. I can't wait to start seeing some 2014 mocks and names of players to keep and eye on. So far 2014 looks to be a very good year for CB, but only average at 3-4 ILB. It's still very early though.

Really? I am very encouraged by the potential ILB talent available in 2014.

Welcome Texian...
Welcome Gcates...

Just off the top of my head
CJ Mosely Bama AJ Johnson Tenn and Christian Jones FSU all have pro bowl potential and are all great ILB that should transition quite well to the NFL

As far as QBs go I have my eyes set on Boyd and Mariota those are my two favorites and I feel those are the two best options for a QB seeking franchise. It's where the NFL game is going like RGIII&Luck. Must have the arm and the legs with character&qualities above the shoulders as well.

I will be looking at fales and others but I'm hesitant fales numbers are off the charts but for some reason I just don't see the it factor
Just like lynch and many others.

I am interested in seeing what Blake Bell does at Oklahoma big ol haas will be the guy now and he will have to throw more than run. Reminds me of Big Ben but with legs and a nack for the end zone
If he delivers with his arm this year like he did with his legs last year his stock will sky rocket.

Just off the top of my head
CJ Mosely Bama AJ Johnson Tenn and Christian Jones FSU all have pro bowl potential and are all great ILB that should transition quite well to the NFL

As far as QBs go I have my eyes set on Boyd and Mariota those are my two favorites and I feel those are the two best options for a QB seeking franchise. It's where the NFL game is going like RGIII&Luck. Must have the arm and the legs with character&qualities above the shoulders as well.

I will be looking at fales and others but I'm hesitant fales numbers are off the charts but for some reason I just don't see the it factor
Just like lynch and many others.

I am interested in seeing what Blake Bell does at Oklahoma big ol haas will be the guy now and he will have to throw more than run. Reminds me of Big Ben but with legs and a nack for the end zone
If he delivers with his arm this year like he did with his legs last year his stock will sky rocket.

As far as the QB's go, I know that Mettenberger had a down yr last yr. But this was his 1st action after taking a yr off. He almost helped beat Alabama and he has all of the tools to be a NFL QB. He just needs to make better reads and get used to game speed.

I look for Mettenberger to be much improved. (No mention of Johnny Football, LOL)

Mettenberger is ok
I don't see much when I watch him
He is talented but I don't see him transitioning to the pro level
Maybe as a back up
As well as Manziel I called that along time ago
Manziel is not a NFL QB
And if he is then good but I don't have The balls nor the position too find out and if I did I still would not roll the dice and that was before all this stuff came out and I stated that opinion during the Manziel craze after the hiesman ceremony and I caught flack but I'm not here to just coast I'm here for analyst and details and breakdowns and bold opinions and knowledgable sports banter.
So if flack is what I get then flack is what I will take!

Mettenberger is ok
I don't see much when I watch him
He is talented but I don't see him transitioning to the pro level
Maybe as a back up
Manziel is not a NFL QB
And if he is then good but I don't have The balls nor the position too find out and if I did I still would not roll the dice and that was before all this stuff came out and I stated that opinion during the Manziel craze after the hiesman ceremony and I caught flack but I'm not here to just coast I'm here for analyst and details and breakdowns and bold opinions and knowledgable sports banter.
So if flack is what I get then flack is what I will take!

No QB will ever look good under Carr. (Including J'Marcus Russell)

I agree with you about Manziel. He's a great college QB, but I dont think his game transitions well to the NFL. I hope Gary doesn't get his Aggie hard on and makes Manziel the Texans QB of the future.

Manziel is not a NFL QB

Put on your flack jacket :).....IMHO Johnny Manziel will have a better NFL career than Doug Flutie. This is also the year that we find out what Mettenberger is about. For all practical purposes he was rookie last year. Had a 50:1 passes to INT ratio is very good and shows good decision making.

Put on your flack jacket :).....IMHO Johnny Manziel will have a better NFL career than Doug Flutie. This is also the year that we find out what Mettenberger is about. For all practical purposes he was rookie last year. Had a 50:1 passes to INT ratio is very good and shows good decision making.

This is the year for mettenberger that is true
Man I don't know about Manziel
I don't even think he will be as successful as Flutie
Is it Johnny or is it the cast around Johnny
He has a lot of super talent around him
I mean Joeckle Michael and many others including HC Sumlin who as been requested for NFL interviews or is in consideration for further vacancies atleast.
A lot of really good talent last year and this year supporting Manziel.
Seals Jones Evans Mathews

Oh and I'm not a fan of Roby either
To me he is way over hyped
I like Purifoy and Ifo better then Roby

1. David fales, qb, san jose state - could be the best pure passer in college in 13" (an aaron rodgers kinda of story) 8/31 - had poor outing, only completed 50% of his passes agaisnt sac st

2. Marcus williams, cb, north dakota state - small school, 2 time all american, 15 ints in 37 games had a 1 int/6 tks as fcs ndsu beat fbs ks st

3. Jeremiah attaochu, olb, ga tech played avon, i mean elon won 70-0, not a fair judge of comp

4. Crockett gilmore, te, colo st. disappointing non factor

5. Shamiel gary, ss, okla st.

6. Louis young, cb, ga tech see #3

7. Trey hopkins, og, texas

^^^bold^^^

I wouldn't worry about Fales being inaccurate.
I've seen him play plenty.

Take the Stamford game, for example.
His receivers dropped 7 or 8 passes.
Fales was under pressure all night, and he responded exceptionally well.
He was on target except for maybe one pass even with relentless pressure.

I like to see him continue working on his throwing mechanics in order to improve his arm strength on the deep ball (the same goes for McCarron).
That and to study more film to study defenses to make better pre-snap reads.

It's going to be an interesting draft, IMO.

Back