Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-17-2013   #1
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFLN: Six things learned from Houston Texans' Rick Smith

Six things learned from Houston Texans' Rick Smith

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl

Quote:
Six things learned from Houston Texans' Rick Smith

Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith quietly has been one of the best front office leaders since taking over the team in 2006. He's built a consistent winner primarily through the draft. Around The League had a chance to sit down with Smith on Wednesday morning. Here's what we learned from him:
Quote:
1. The team still is targeting Week 1 for Ed Reed's return
2. The Texans also expect Whitney Mercilus to make a leap
3. Playoff stalls won't change approach
4. Smith is aware of his division surroundings, difficult schedule
5. The Texans may ask Matt Schaub to do more
6. Scheduling the Patriots as a "Homecoming" game was a coincidence

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: NFLN: Six things learned from Houston Texans' Rick Smith

Quote:
Can't wait for them to break out the lettermen jackets for homecoming. Yeah!
Old 07-17-2013   #3
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Can't wait for them to break out the lettermen jackets for homecoming. Yeah!
LOL I know. Sean Pendergast nominated Seth Payne and his wife for Homecoming King and Queen this year.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2. The Texans also expect Whitney Mercilus to make a leap
I really really want this to happen and that my gut feelings are wrong and just need to focus on this burrito.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I really really want this to happen and that my gut feelings are wrong and just need to focus on this burrito.
Feelin sorry for your coworkers. Ha
Old 07-17-2013   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't need six things to learn, as you only need to know one thing; each season is different and all predictions are worthless, including your own.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Feelin sorry for your coworkers. Ha
Lol, fortunately for them I office from home and my dog seems to be indifferent about it.
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2013   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll tell you what, Rick Smith has grown into a pretty darn good GM for us. He has my respect.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'll tell you what, Rick Smith has grown into a pretty darn good GM for us. He has my respect.
Damn straight. With a strong 13 draft, it will negate any doubt we have one of the very best GMs, if not already.
Old 07-17-2013   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lol, fortunately for them I office from home and my dog seems to be indifferent about it.
Nice
Old 07-17-2013   #11
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The perceived indifference is directly proportional to how regularly you keep filling up the food bowl
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #12
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The perceived indifference is directly proportional to how regularly you keep filling up the food bowl
Ha! I think you are on to something...
Old 07-17-2013   #13
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okay, I'm confused: what does this mean? Battle Red game?
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Okay, I'm confused: what does this mean? Battle Red game?
I don't get it either. It's a week 13 Sunday afternoon home game that comes at the end of a 3 game home stretch. Unless the Texans management just schedules "Battle Red Day" on a specific week without looking at the schedule I have no idea what to make of this statement.
Old 07-17-2013   #15
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have always had a "homecoming" game. It isn't anything like high school. They bring in players from Houston's past during halftime. It's just another designated day like Hispanic Heritage Day or Salute the Military Day.

BTW, Battle Red Day will be the Sunday night game with the Colts.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #16
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't get it either. It's a week 13 Sunday afternoon home game that comes at the end of a 3 game home stretch. Unless the Texans management just schedules "Battle Red Day" on a specific week without looking at the schedule I have no idea what to make of this statement.
LOL. Good stuff. The NFL network guys were confused too, but this article explains that each home game was just given an arbitrary name (or theme) to pump up the fan base:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...omecoming-game

This is their reaction to "homecoming" games:

Quote:
We're not sure exactly what homecoming games mean at the NFL level, but that's for another post.
As for #2 and Mercilus I am SO pumped. I think that dude is going to be an absolute monster this year. I mean in limited action last year the guy had 6 sacks and 2 Forced Fumbles. I can only imagine how good he's going to be this year and thus making Ninja even better this year as well.

Rick Smith is a boss GM. We are having more success now than ever in our short franchise history under him and I think it's no coincidence. I'm so pumped for next season and have nothing to do sports wise EXCEPT talk about next season until preseason starts at least.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Homecoming game....

Why couldn't they have called it something else?

Spirit of Texas day?
Houston pride day?

Anything else besides a homecoming game.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Rick Smith is a boss GM. We are having more success now than ever in our short franchise history under him and I think it's no coincidence.
I'm beginning to appreciate Rick Smith a lot more after all the good drafts we've had since he's been in charge. Yeah, we've drafted a few clunkers and missed a few good players, but over all I think Rick Smith has done a very fine job with the Texans.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #19
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Homecoming game....

Why couldn't they have called it something else?

Spirit of Texas day?
Houston pride day?

Anything else besides a homecoming game.
I'd venture a guess that it is an attempt to tie it to the popularity of HS football in Texas.

But, I think the themes and marketing are exorbitantly overdone.
Old 07-17-2013   #20
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quote:
Damn straight. With a strong 13 draft, it will negate any doubt we have one of the very best GMs, if not already.
My, how times have changed. It's only been a couple of seasons (and every draft day including the last) since many here wanted him tarred & feathered and run out of town pushing a penny with his nose with that worthless, runnin' scaird HC right behind him.

That stinkin' McNair just has too much patience.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read