Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2005   #41
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbills
You would be SURPRISED on how many buffalo fans think differently.
Probably not as much as you'd think. We have plenty of people here who think Charlie Casserly is the worst GM ever, and I consider him to be a pretty darn good one. He always keeps us on our toes thats for sure.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005   #42
BillsFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Rookie QBs will make mistakes. A young QBs learning curve is tremendous, and unlike any other position on the field. I think JP will have a good year, but I doubt he'll walk away with NFL OROY.
JP is NOT a rookie!!!!!!!!! he's a 2nd year guy. He's had a whole year to learn the offense.

The biggest problem that rookie QBs complain about is trying to understand the pro-game and playbook. JP so far has not only mastered the Bills playbook, he was correcting a coach during mini-camp.

i don't think JP will make much of a difference. I doubt Mularky will let him throw the ball more than 10 times.

expect Willis Mcgahee to reach 30+ carries and 150yds rushing.

Bills 17 Texans 9

BillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005   #43
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
All I know is we as a fan base are discouting a rookie QB in his first start when we had one ourselves when we beat the Cowboys in our first game ever. Short memories?
That is an oddity in the history of the NFL. Don't bet the house on a rookie QB in his first game.
Old 07-02-2005   #44
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bills
I wanted the prediction not Cabills

JP is better than you all think. He is good enough that we sacked Bledsoe, our defense says he can pick them apart, and just recently Jabari Greer compared him to steve young. Of course he will have a little learning curve, but hes been in the system for a year already. Plus last year lee evans did fine with a tiny learning curve, so i think JP can. I think he had a 60% or up completion percentage at tulane. We have added speed at WR and QB, and last year speed was our biggest problem, o-line cant protect forever, this year they wont have too.

Buffalo Wins 21-17
How do you know JP is better than you think? have you talked to the defense too? he's never played a game in the nfl. the release of bledsoe doesn't mean losman will be better by any meansm, especially his first nfl game. 60 percent at tulane means nothing in the nfl. I'm sure most QBs drafted are 60 something percent or better in college. alot in tougher divisions and schedules too. As far as jabari greer, i have no idea who this guy is, and alot of people compare current QBs to former QBs. its not new and the idea that losman is gonna come right out and succeed is not in his odds. losing bledsoe is gonna mean more turnovers at the QB position, i'd bet the house on that. if losman doesn't throw an interception, there's a good chance you win. the texans are returning most likely all 11 offensive starters from last year, so i have to give the offensive edge to the texans, but i give the bills a defensive edge. i just think the offensive edge will be greater than the defensive edge, so i take the texans in this game 24-13.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005   #45
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsFan
JP is NOT a rookie!!!!!!!!! he's a 2nd year guy. He's had a whole year to learn the offense.

The biggest problem that rookie QBs complain about is trying to understand the pro-game and playbook. JP so far has not only mastered the Bills playbook, he was correcting a coach during mini-camp.

i don't think JP will make much of a difference. I doubt Mularky will let him throw the ball more than 10 times.

expect Willis Mcgahee to reach 30+ carries and 150yds rushing.

Bills 17 Texans 9

So JP mastered the playbook already? must be a freaking genius, especially since he's correcting coaches and all, those dumb coaches, don't know a thing about football. you also stated correctly that JP isn't a rookie, true, but thats like saying he's not a freshman, he's a redshirt freshman. either way, he's never played in a nfl regular season game. the fact remains that losman is not bledsoe. he's gonna throw more picks. i also find it funny how mr. genius has mastered the playbook, but you still don't think he's gonna throw more than 10 times. seems like if he had it mastered, he'd be throwing alot more.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005   #46
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
...you also stated correctly that JP isn't a rookie, true, but thats like saying he's not a freshman, he's a redshirt freshman. either way, he's never played in a nfl regular season game...
Losman mopped up for Bledsoe in 3 games last season. JP went 3-5 for 32 yards with a int & a fumble. Losman only played in 2 preseason games as a rookie prior to breaking his leg in camp. JP had a career pass completion % at Tulane of just under 58%. Not 60% as suggested. Losman (pronounced LOSS-men) was a honor roll student at Tulane, so memorizing a NFL playbook should be a piece of cake for him. Throw in the fact that Losman is a plus athlete as a QB and the Bills have quite the prospect, though they gave up a lot to draft him. The cowgirls used the Bills picks to select Julius Jones & Marcus Spears. Regardless of what David Carr did in his 1st game at the starter, Losman should follow the normal curve of a young QB and get better as the season moves along. I like the Texans chances against JP & the Bills on opening day.
Old 07-02-2005   #47
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Losman (pronounced LOSS-men) was a honor roll student at Tulane, so memorizing a NFL playbook should be a piece of cake for him. Throw in the fact that Losman is a plus athlete as a QB and the Bills have quite the prospect, though they gave up a lot to draft him.
funny

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2005   #48
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless the Texans take the Astro's approach(astros seem to lose to every MLB pitcher that is making his debut against the astros) ..they lose...

eventhough Lossman isn't a rookie, he is considered a "rookie" due to lack of game time (i.e. drew Henson) experience. I personally think this will be a low scoring game due to buffalo's defense is pretty tough and our ability to hopefully confuse Lossman.
10-7 or 13-7 ish Texans
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005   #49
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbills

How has your defense improved? The pick up of Buchanon was a big FA signing but he was an on and off guy in Oakland. I have seen a ton of Oakland games over the last couple years being from California. Your pash rush was not great to put it nicely and I didnt see anything you did this offseason to improve it. Maybe I am wrong though thats what I am asking, not we are going to win 31-7 because I am a homer.

**EDIT** Never once have a I heard our defense says thats Losman can pick them apart?
k where do i start....P-buch IMHO will have a breakout year this year under secondary coach Hoke, and with a change of scenery. we added to our pass rush with hopefully peek winning the starting position, obviously you havent watched him play and plus adding younger and faster players to the D, not to forget that our 1st pick in the draft went to considered the top right DT coming outa college, so you wanted proof theirs your proof take it or just make up some silly argument how you think thats not improving not only our *** rush but our whole D.
Old 07-02-2005   #50
CAbills
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
he's never played in a nfl regular season game.
Actually he has played in 4....
CAbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005   #51
CAbills
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
eventhough Lossman isn't a rookie, he is considered a "rookie" due to lack of game time (i.e. drew Henson) experience. I personally think this will be a low scoring game due to buffalo's defense is pretty tough and our ability to hopefully confuse Lossman.
10-7 or 13-7 ish Texans
I wouldnt compare Losman to Drew Henson, I think Losman is more in a Carson Palmer situation watched a year on the bench and now get the nod to start. Although I am not comparing Palmer and Losman and any of their physical attributes, just saying its the same situation.
Old 07-02-2005   #52
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsFan

How much playing time has JP had? Carson Palmer had an entire year to learn the offense for the Bengals last season too, and in his second year he performed well (18TDs, 18INTs) but still had his share of mistakes. All the practice time in the world, and all the minicamp & college success equates to squat when it comes to the NFL. You have to actually learn the game out there on the field. Every QB must go through it, and JP is no exception. Ryan Leaf looked awesome in college, and played well in practice but he couldn't deliver on Sunday. Again, I don't think JP is going to end up anything like Leaf and I fully expect him to be a very good NFL QB. I'm sure Mularky wouldn't want to have to depend on JP either, but in a close game he may have no choice but to force JP to pass. If the Bills get behind they may very well have to pass more to get ahead. Also, don't you think Capers and Fangio will focus on stopping the Bills running game? We've played well against some of the better RBs in the NFL (LT, Priest, Edge, etc.). If we do so again against the Bills then it will all be up to JP to beat us.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005   #53
CAbills
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
How much playing time has JP had? Carson Palmer had an entire year to learn the offense for the Bengals last season too, and in his second year he performed well (18TDs, 18INTs) but still had his share of mistakes.
Exactly JP will have a year watching and now it is his time to step up. I would be estatic if he had a year like Palmer 18 tds 18 ints in his first year because we have a MUCH better defense and special teams by far the the bengals have. Of course he will have his share of mistakes no one is saying he wont. He is not going to be asked to win games though, but there will be times that he is and no body know how that will turn out.

He is in the same situation as Palmer though first round pick granted Palmer was numero uno, a year of watching behind the incumbent starter learning the playbook, etc. In his second year he was given the nod, just like JP is now.
Old 07-02-2005   #54
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

In my opinion, Losman is gonna be bust in the NFL. He was a reach when Bills drafted him in the 1st round. He was clearly a 2nd maybe 3rd round guy. Thus if he doesn't make the Bills a playoff regular by at least next season, if not this one due to a strong defense, then people will start saying bust cuz he was a 1st round guy. If he went in the later rounds you'd never hear the word bust.
He just reminds too much of Cade McNown who was drafted by the Bears in, I believe, the 1st round. He was a bust.

CABills, I'm not trying to stir up doo-doo with ya, it's just my opinion cuz he reminds me of Cade.
Trust me, I hope he's good cuz the NFL is a better place when the Bills are good.

Hey, arent the Bills gonna enshrine Thurman Thomas in their Ring of Honor @ the game in week 1. He deserves it, he was awesome. Former Houstonian that played his HS football @ Willowridge. Kinda ironic, Houston guy gets enshrined in Buffalo while the Houston team is in for the game.
Old 07-02-2005   #55
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
In my opinion, Losman is gonna be bust in the NFL. He was a reach when Bills drafted him in the 1st round. He was clearly a 2nd maybe 3rd round guy.
Some felt that he would have been the top QB taken in this draft if he stayed in. From what I understand some NFL people graded higher than Smith and Rogers.

Old 07-02-2005   #56
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Some felt that he would have been the top QB taken in this draft if he stayed in. From what I understand some NFL people graded higher than Smith and Rogers.
I didn't know he wasn't a senior. Why did he come out then??
Old 07-02-2005   #57
Vinny
shiny happy fan

He was...I just totally misworded that. What I meant was that he graded higher than the other guys (in some eyes) if he was in this class. Since the Bills gave up the 2005 pick his selection equates to taking a first rd pick this year.

Old 07-02-2005   #58
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Unless the Texans take the Astro's approach(astros seem to lose to every MLB pitcher that is making his debut against the astros) ..they lose...
That is so true. If teams really wanted to beat the Astros, they'd bring up a new guy from the minors every game to start against us.
Old 07-02-2005   #59
Buffalo_Bills
Rookie

J.P. is not a rookie, he does not have to worry about learning the system because he has already been in a year, we will mosy likely run more than pass in this game anyways. And i dont think there will be any deep balls. I think JP will do better than bledsoe would have, otherwise we would not have dropped them. Also i just don't see you being able to cover Moulds, Evans, Parrish and Reed. No offense but i think our st's will out perform yours, and our defense as well. We might not even need a good offense if Terrence can score on a KR, and Takeo or clements can intercept and run it in. I just think many people will be surprised by JP's readiness. I am confident because we dumped deadslow, which means Tom donahoe and Mularkey are comforatable with jp. If all else fails we can throw holcomb in there anyways.
Old 07-02-2005   #60
CAbills
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
In my opinion, Losman is gonna be bust in the NFL. He was a reach when Bills drafted him in the 1st round. He was clearly a 2nd maybe 3rd round guy.
Just to clear up somethings every mock draft had him going in the first to Greenbay, so I am not sure where you are getting this 2nd or 3rd round stuff from?

His stock rised to because many scouts felt he had the best proday and outperformed Eli Manning who ended up being the number 1 pick.

He very well could be a bust but your information about him is a little shaky. Also yes people had him rated above Smith and Rogers and probably would have gone very high if he would have stayed in for another year.

I think it is great the Bills got him when they did give him a year of grooming we would have been in quaterback hell with the people that came out this year, it would have been another long year of Bledsoe taking us to as far as he can go. Meaning not the playoffs.

**Dont worry about ruffling feathers I enjoy football talk amongst knowledgeable fans**

Last edited by CAbills; 07-02-2005 at 06:42 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read