Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2005   #261
CAbills
Rookie

I wouldnt look for much Texan scoring in the second half. The bills did not allow one touchdown in the third quarter the entire year last year.
CAbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #262
KGUNBILLS
Rookie

What's up gang?

Good to see some of my fellow Bills message boarders over here.

I'll put my two cents in here...

This is a tough game to predict for me. And, it's not really because of the Texans so much as it is the Bills. I am extremely pleased with the way J.P. Losman has prepared for the upcoming season. He's been in Buffalo since February looking over film and working out with QB coach Sam Wyche six days a week. But, still, it's his first start. He's going to be anxious and I expect him to make some mistakes, particularly in his first start against a solid secondary.

Speaking of that secondary, I really like Daunta Robinson. He's going to be an excellent CB in this league for many years to come IMO. Buchanon, however, seems a little erratic; a poor man's Nate Clements. He'll come up with some big plays, but he can also get beaten for HUGE GAINS. Yes, he's going up against a rookie QB, so the first could easily happen, but the latter could happen as well with a solid corps of receivers for the Bills. If you ask me, Buchanon was just a trade off for Glenn this offseason, no upgrade there.

Can somebody please update me on the LB corps for the Texans? I mean, I really don't think Marlon Greenwood is the caliber LB Jamie Sharper is - who is now in Seattle. Who else do you have there?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong - the Texans pass rush is mediocre at best. That should be a good game for J.P. to get his footing and a game for LT and a big question mark for the Bills, Mike Gandy to gain some confidence.

Most importantly when the Bills are on offense is to get McGahee up and going. And, from the little I saw from the Texans last year, that shouldn't be much of a problem. It only will be if the Texans put 8 or 9 in the box. If that's the case, J.P. should be able to make plays with his excellent corps of receivers.

Would the real Andre Johnson please stand up? To be honest, I think this is a guy who is going to have a MONSTER year. He's entering his third season and Carr is an improving QB. If that offensive line of yours - which is another big question mark in my mind can provide some stability the Carr to Johnson connection should be a frequent one. My big question is, will it be a consistent one? Where did Andre go the second half of last year? In the beginning of last year he seemed poised to put his name in with the elite receivers in the game. What happened? Also, I believe you guys drafted a speedster at WR that you're high on; a little education on him would be nice. Corey Bradford and Jabar Gaffney aren't a bad supporting cast IMO.

Domanick Davis is a solid back. It should be a big test for the Bills without Pat Williams. We'll see right away exactly what the Bills lost - and they did lose something, turning over the reigns to Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson.

Anyway, Ill take the Bills in this one 20-17. But, that's just for fun, I'm certainly not going to make that a guarantee. There are too many questions for the Bills (Losman, Gandy, DT).
KGUNBILLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #263
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGUNBILLS
My big question is, will it be a consistent one? Where did Andre go the second half of last year? In the beginning of last year he seemed poised to put his name in with the elite receivers in the game. What happened?
It's hard to get balls thrown your way when your QB only has .0001 seconds to throw the ball. The pass protection for Carr got worse as the season went on, thus the numbers for Carr went down.
Old 07-28-2005   #264
touttail
All Pro

Vinny,

ARE YOU CRAZY????????
Predicting us to lose the first game!
LOL

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #265
RalphJr
Rookie

Hey guys, new around here, seems to be a nice board and pretty civil to boot. Always nice to see.

Got the ol' opener prediction thread going pretty early huh? LOL. You guys are obviously itching for football as bad as us Bills fans.

I admit, that although you guys are not what i would hope for in a season opener for our rookie (say, a dog team like SF or WSH, that would be nice) I do think out of the teams that are mid pack in the NFL, including the Bills (I have no misconceptions about starting a rook), I would probably chooose to play you guys. I figure it this way: The most sacked QB of last year was Carr (right in front of our dear departed Bledsoe, LOL) and our D was either tops in sacks or at least tops in sacks in the AFC. That says to me that we will get tons of pressure on DC, especially in the friendly confines of a noisy RWS. Sack sacks and more sacks. And we will NEED them, as starting a rook is at best a giant ?. (on the flip side of the sacks argument is the fact that you guys don't generate much pressure, I think you were close to last in sacks last year--good way to start out the kid IMO)

We have a good running game but it will have to shoulder the load for us due to our rook, and I believe you guys are in a similar situation, although Carr is developing nicely BTW. You don't want him chuckin' that pigskin up in the air in the face of our blitz. I see a slow paced defensive battle here, with your D forcing JP into a mistake or two (rookie pick), our D forcing DC into a mistake or two (pressure pick), and whoever capitalizes on the mistakes will be the winner. If all else is equal, special teams may be the thing that puts the Bills over the top, we have a top notch ST, that should put JP in good field position on most drives.

I will of course as a Bills fan predict a Bills victory, say, 14-10, but I really see this game as a toss up due to us starting a rookie. Nobody can even guess how he will perform, and I am sure Dunta and your CBs are itching to pick one of the rook, and lord knows he may throw a few. (Don't get me wrong, I like JP, but rookies are rookies.) Will be a tough opener for us.

I can hardly wait, i have 45 yard line first row seats behind your bench...should be an incredible day. Two mid pack teams with serious aspirations going up against each other. Hope to talk to you guys over the next month and see how you feel about the matchup once training camp gets going. I can't follow every team (god knows I try), so this is a legit Q, not bait or anything: have you guys done anything to upgrade your lines, D and O? Who are draft picks you expect to impact opening day?
RalphJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #266
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphJr
Got the ol' opener prediction thread going pretty early huh? LOL. You guys are obviously itching for football as bad as us Bills fans.
It was actually a Bills fan that came over & started this thread.

Regarding a comment you made, blitzing Carr is not the best method of defending the Texan offense. One, you don't want to put your corners on an island against Andre Johnson. He's a physical mismatch against any CB in the league. Two, teams have been successful rushing only 4 and playing zone against the Texans. That's likely how the Bills defense will start the game.

As far as upgrading the lines, Travis Johnson out of FSU was selected in the 1st round in hopes that he would bring an inside pass rush to the Texans nickel package. He should be a good one for years to come. On the offensive side, The Texans are toying with switching positions between LT Seth Wand & LG Chester Pitts. Nothing official, yet. The Texans are also giving some lip service to schematic changes in the protection package & the pass routes. We'll see what that means in training camp.

I have to believe Bills fans are at least privately concerned about their lines. The loss of Pat Williams has to have some effect on the defense. I'm sure London Fletcher will miss hiding behind big Pat. And you have to wonder why Donahoe let Jonas Jennings go and only brought in Mike Gandy to protect Losman's blindside. Texan fans can tell you 1st hand that inexperienced QBs and questionable LTs are a recipe for disaster.
Old 07-29-2005   #267
RalphJr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
It was actually a Bills fan that came over & started this thread.

Regarding a comment you made, blitzing Carr is not the best method of defending the Texan offense. One, you don't want to put your corners on an island against Andre Johnson. He's a physical mismatch against any CB in the league. Two, teams have been successful rushing only 4 and playing zone against the Texans. That's likely how the Bills defense will start the game.
Well, we are usually pretty confident in Nate Clements ability to cover one on one, but we can always send help. I say we will blitz often not only because of Carr's oft-sacked status, but also because that is our defenses' M.O., we blitz a LOT. Corner blitzes, safety blitzes, delayed blitz, etc. We often give in to the possibilty of getting burned for the potential reward of a big sack. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But maybe we will use a zone, who knows. I expect lots of blitzes though, thats just how we do.

Quote:
As far as upgrading the lines, Travis Johnson out of FSU was selected in the 1st round in hopes that he would bring an inside pass rush to the Texans nickel package. He should be a good one for years to come. On the offensive side, The Texans are toying with switching positions between LT Seth Wand & LG Chester Pitts. Nothing official, yet. The Texans are also giving some lip service to schematic changes in the protection package & the pass routes. We'll see what that means in training camp.
I had heard some stuff about you guys running more timing routes, but other than that it was hard to find info. Thanks.

Quote:
I have to believe Bills fans are at least privately concerned about their lines. The loss of Pat Williams has to have some effect on the defense. I'm sure London Fletcher will miss hiding behind big Pat. And you have to wonder why Donahoe let Jonas Jennings go and only brought in Mike Gandy to protect Losman's blindside. Texan fans can tell you 1st hand that inexperienced QBs and questionable LTs are a recipe for disaster.
Privately? LOL, try publicly my friend (check any bills board, OY, line post after line post), those two issues and the rookie QB are the only thing preventing many Bills fans from going totally overboard and predicting 19-0, LOL.

As far as Pat Williams, we have two good replacements in Ron Edwards (Former starter before S.A. got here)and Tim Anderson. One is big (320, not Fat Pat big, but big still) and the other has a motor. Since we, like many teams, use "waves" of D-lineman, I'm not too worried about this one. We might actually get more sacks up the middle, our pressure up the middle last year came from Pat (Who played about 55% of the snaps)but a lot came from our subs too. I always believed that the better side of that line was Sam Adams. Bottom line is we will still have one of the best D's in the league, while you don't want to step back, at least we can afford to slightly there.

As for the O-line, OH YEAH, that is a major concern, but only in the LT spot. Kind of two seperate issues though...One: Donahoe got rid of Jennings because in this LT strapped NFL, he simply wanted too much, no way were we going to match the 36 mil SF paid him. No way. Not only wasn't he worth it, you'd have been surprised how the media regarded him BEFORE last year (think words like overpaid and turnstile). We all used to think of him as average to pretty good, which I still think he was, but once he bacame the only real LT on the market last year, suddenly his stock soared, and people thought WAY too much of him, thus the price gouge. I have beef with some of Donahoe's decisions, but this isn't one of them.

As for the rest of the line, it all depends on what happens at LT. If Gandy can cut it (he has 20 starts at LT, and his knock has been hamstring injuries, not a lack of skill or guts) our line will be good (last year was the least sacked of Drew B's career, if we can protect "the mummy" we can protect anyone). Mike Williams is FINALLY playing like a 1st rd pick, Chris Villarial is a good veteran RG, Trey Teague recently was rated the most underrated player on our team by CBS, he has 3 position tools, and Bennie Anderson, while not a great pass blocker, should help Willis rack up yards on the left side. If Gandy struggles and Teague has to be moved to LT, Tucker will take over at center, he is more than capable, although he is coming off back surgery. It all hinges on the LT spot. Hopefully this is where JP's mobility will come in handy, I don't want him Flutieing out there, but he'll avoid a sack here and there with his feet.

Believe me Lucky, I AM worried about the LT spot, but considering the FA market (Anyone want to overpay for party animal/totally overrated LT Ross Verba? You guys were right ot lowball/one year him, he isn't worth it, and he is a character issue DISASTER) and the rest of our line and our line coach, I am kind of resigned to it. Either Gandy will cut it, or Teague will be moved. After the Threw Deadslow era, I doubt we could get sacked much more honestly.

Last edited by RalphJr; 07-29-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2005   #268
b-lo55
Rookie

Default bills

I believe the Houston Texans are an up and coming team in the NFL, and will finish with a record of 9-7. However i don't see them beating the Buffalo Bills. Here in Buffalo optimism is high for the upcoming season, with the release of QB Drew Deadslow and the change to make J.P Losman the starter. I like this change for one major reason J.P's mobility, Mike Mularky will be able to implant a much more productive play calling system with J.P under center. Proof of this is when Mularky was in Pittsburgh and helped take Kordell Stewart to the AFC championship game. And lets be honest the Bills defense is down right nasty (45 takeaways) and lets not forget they held an NFL football team (all be it the lowley browns) to 34 total yds. of offense!!! With the subtraction of Pat Williams, Ron Ewards has a large void to fill. But many people who did not watch every Bills game do not realize Ewards was on the line 40% of the time last yr. when big Pat and Sam Adams needed breathers so he should be fine.......also milloy and Vincent barring any injuries in training camp will be healthy for the start of the season unlike last.....on the offensive side of the ball the bills added Speedster Roscoe Parrish out of Miami he has great speed and will win the slot position. Parrish along with second yr. stud Lee Evans are great complements to Eric Moulds and should give Moulds Man coverage....and lets not forget Willis McGahee and the special teams.........I do like the Houston Texans defense and i feel this will be a great matchup for opening day that i will see first hand in Buffalo however i think the bills special teams will be the wildcard in the game and the D will give the Texans offense fits with the Bills winning 17-10
Good Luck on the rest of your season (except for game #1)!!!!!!!!!!
b-lo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #269
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-lo55
And lets be honest the Bills defense is down right nasty (45 takeaways) and lets not forget they held an NFL football team (all be it the lowley browns) to 34 total yds. of offense!!!
That kinda reminds of when the Steelers held the Texans to just 56 yards of offense in their 1st year.........WE WON. You see we didn't really beat the Steelers, we beat Tommy Maddux. I beleive (not too sure though) he threw 2 pix that Glenn returned for TD's and somebody sacked him thus forcing a fumble and Kenny Wright returned it for a TD and we kicked an offensive FG. Maddux was injured for some time and this was his 1st game back from injury. Eerily similar to what's gonna happen in week 1. It won't be his 1st game (nor was he injured) but it will be his 1st game in quite some time. Your D could hold us down but there's no way they're gonna keep us to 34 or 56 or even 156 yards. We're good too. We're up and coming too. If you guys do beat us well then congrats, but if we beat you don't be surprised, I won't.

Oh yea, did I mention that we won that Steelers game up @ their place in the freezing cold.
Old 07-31-2005   #270
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbills
I wouldnt compare Losman to Drew Henson...
Neither would I.

aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #271
Buffalo_Bills
Rookie

JP losman has already completed passes, and broke a run for a large gain... he already has a higlight reel... david carr who??????

Someone said "if losman can pick you defense apart what do you think carr will do to it"

well uhh not much, brett farve coulnt do anthing to it either... our D will one you guys, DD and Carr wont know what hit em. (was it takeo, london, jeff, nate, sam, tim, ron, lawyer, troy, or terence?)
Old 08-08-2005   #272
Texan Spain
Rookie

and then, willis mc"broken legs"gahee will run over .....mmmmmmmm, not, he won't run, but thay also have jp losman who will throw to his number 23 or 31, ahmmmm, but if they are our corners, they look like bills recievers when JP throw the ball to them
Texan Spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #273
Doug
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbills
I wouldnt look for much Texan scoring in the second half. The bills did not allow one touchdown in the third quarter the entire year last year.
I thought there were two quarters in a half not just a third? LOL, I couldn't leave it alone.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #274
Fldvldog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Spain
and then, willis mc"broken legs"gahee will run over .....mmmmmmmm, not, he won't run, but thay also have jp losman who will throw to his number 23 or 31, ahmmmm, but if they are our corners, they look like bills recievers when JP throw the ball to them
This post doesn't make sense IMO. McGahee ran very well last year, and many expect big things from him this year. The leg looked fine 3 months after the incident -- and it is definately fine now...
Fldvldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #275
RalphJr
Rookie

Amazing how people can doubt a guy who came back from triple ACL surgery and racked up over 1100 yards in 11 games. Especially considering he's getting BETTER and STRONGER. McGahee and his "gimpy knee" will be just fine.

The big question for me as I look at the matchups, is the lines of each team. On the Bills side, can journeyman Gandy protect Losman long enough for him to throw? (I'm not too sure about this one). Can Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson fill in for Fat Pat? (Not worried at all about this one).

Can the Texans line get pressure on Losman through the O-line, 4/5 of which is actually pretty good? Can your O-line (which I believe gave up the most sacks last year) stop the Bills blitz? (which I believe had the most or 2nd most sacks last year)

Losman is the major X-factor here. Hard to predict how he does, so he could swing the game either way. Buffalo just seems like the more complete team to me in all three phases. It's our home opener, we have a Great D (better than yours), great ST (better than yours), good O (maybe NOT as good as yours, but we will see) with a major X-factor that could go either way. Seems to me some folks around here are simply assuming Los will play poorly, and hand Houston the game. Could be. But in my estimation, all he has to do to get us a win is play okay. I think he is more than capable of playing "okay".

And of course i am a total Buffalo , but I try to at least be somewhat objective.

Will be interesting no matter what though, "Any given Sunday" as they say. Can hardly wait!

Last edited by RalphJr; 08-09-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2005   #276
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Bills have good defense and running game. They could control clock. But, when they have to pass, Capers will blitz the new kid. I see 3 Bills turnovers. Texans can run and throw. 17-14 Texans win.
Old 08-09-2005   #277
buddyroe
Rookie

Welcome Buffalo fans! You will have a fun team to watch
this year,but don't expect to much early on in the season.
You will need to be patient as you go through growing
pains with a true rookie QB.The Bills defense will be good
again but look for them to take a step back as rookie
mistakes from J.P. put them in poor field position and
keep them on the field to much with poor 3rd down
percentage.McGahee will have to carry the load this
year and will have some success but defenses will key
on him until Losman gives them reason not to.
When you put a young QB and the mistakes he will
make with what will quickly become a tired defense
against a brutal schedule the season will quickly go
downhill.Don't expect more than 5 wins.I predict the
Jets win the East and the Patriots settle for a wildcard.
The Texan's on the other hand are in their 4th season
building and for the 1st time are healthy(knock,knock).
Carr's completion rate has gone up each of the 1st three
years(52%,57%,61%) and with our O line having a year
under their belt in a new blocking scheme he should have
better protection.Morency gives Davis competition at the
tailback positition and Davis has responded with his best
camp so far.These things combined with a spread offensive
set and defenses needing to double Johnson will make this
an explosive offense.
Greenwood and Buchanon add speed to the defensive
backfield.On the D line Robaire Smith and a healthy Gary
Walker teamed with FSU rookieTravis Johnson will keep
O lines tied up and put pressure on the QB. OLB Jason
Babin in his 2cd year will have a big season in the sack
department without the D linemen being able to step out
and pick him up.
I predict Houston ,with a weak schedule will have a breakout
year finishing 13-3.The Colts will settle for a wildcard and an
early exit in the playoffs.
Game 1 Houston 34 Buffalo 6
buddyroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #278
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP
Default Ok

"I predict Houston ,with a weak schedule will have a breakout
year finishing 13-3."

Wow!! We only play 6 games this year with teams that had a losing record
last year and one of those teams-Cleveland-whipped us bad! We only beat
1 team last year with a winning record, the Jags. 13-3. Has a nice sound to
it....
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #279
buddyroe
Rookie

I tasted the koolaid and it was good!!!
Motor City here come the TEXANS!!!!!!
buddyroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #280
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm gonna say 9-7 . I would love for us to go 10-6 , but I dont want to be to over-confident and set myself up for a letdown . Maybe we can get lucky and make a run for the playoffs with that 9-7 record .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read