Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-11-2005   #21
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

Well i think if Walker has another bad year i think we will see TJ playing. I think we did a good job here bc of uncertainty of how Walker would produce. As for next years draft depending on how we do i think will depend on who we draft... and i dont think we will defintely go after a OT bc what if Wand has a breakout season then we dont need OT.... i say wait until after the season to make the descion
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #22
Evans Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
Well i think if Walker has another bad year i think we will see TJ playing. I think we did a good job here bc of uncertainty of how Walker would produce. As for next years draft depending on how we do i think will depend on who we draft... and i dont think we will defintely go after a OT bc what if Wand has a breakout season then we dont need OT.... i say wait until after the season to make the descion

Gary walker was considered one of the best nose tacles in the league before last year you guys have no idea how good you have it Gary walker Robaire Smith are going to have huge years and Buffalo will have saam Adams being a monster that theyt have to compete with for a pro bowl spot but he will be just edge out walker becuse he went last year and you have D ROB so you are fine on edefense except for linebacker Sharper was great and to replacew him with babin right now is not good plus foreman a former billl is better than Greenwood I would kno Bills -fish game is a great wayt to to scout players Greenwood did start but he wasn't trusted so they let him go for a more reliable guy
Evans Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #23
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I'm not sure if you're all that familiar with the Texans 3-4 defense, but just as a heads up Walker and Smith play as DEs in our scheme and Payne is our NT. Babin was a starter last year as an OLB, and he'll be starting in the same position this year. Sharper and Foreman are gone, and Foreman, although a good guy, wasn't starter quality in the middle. We'll have Wong starting in Foreman's ILB positon, and Greenwood will take over Sharpers position at the other ILB spot. Peek is all but guranteed the other OLB starting spot, and he's proven to be a very effective pass rusher in his limited action thus far. We'll have a very young and very fast group of LBs. How they'll perform as a unit is yet to be seen, and training camp and the preseason will give us a sneak peek at their potential. Our secondary looks to be pretty good too. We'll have DRob and PBuch as our starting CBs with Faggins coming in for nickle packages. Lewis Sanders might end up as our fourth CB. Coleman played pretty well at FS last year, and I expect him to be even better this season. Earl was coming off an injury last year in his rookie season, but he was effective. He should improve as well. Our secondary was very effective last year at creating turnovers, and that was with not much of a pass rush. If we can get an effective pass rush this season I expect our secondary to perform even better than last year. All things point to us having a young speedy defense overall, and they'll have to show what they can do this season. Our offense improved last year, and I think we should be very good this year.

Buffalo seems to have the opposite problem. They have a veteran defense that is tough, but they have a young inexperienced QB whos being counted on to lead an offense with some young talent.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Zac]
I would like McKinney to be moved to Left Guard.

[quote]

I'ds like to see Mckinney moved to ..... a seat in the stands :brickwall
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #25
Evans Fan
Rookie

Buffalo seems to have the opposite problem. They have a veteran defense that is tough, but they have a young inexperienced QB whos being counted on to lead an offense with some young talent.[/quote]

buffalo is actually trying to get younger on defense
McGee will start for a full season so that will be a plus for us and Tim Anderson will try to fill pat willams shoes which most people here think he can some don't but thats to be found out Plus shoebol and kelsay are our d ends and man did they finsh strong last year plus Clements is on 26 so we are pretty young on defense offense is a little more older moulds is 30 and that means he will use wisedom to make up for losing speed
Old 07-12-2005   #26
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as Buffalo's defense goes if it ain't broke..don't fix it. The young talent on offense I'm referring to is Parrish, McGahee, Losman, and Everett (even though hes out this season). Willis will be entering his 3rd season in the NFL, but only his second where he's seen action. Parrish and Everett are rookies with talent, and Losman is essientially a rookie since he didn't get much experience in his rookie season. How those players perform is going to go a long way in determining how effective the Bills offense will be just as how several of the Texans' young players on defense will go a long way in determining how successful our defense will be during the season. Those are the two biggest question marks in this game, and no one will know how effective either will be until the game gets under way.
Old 07-12-2005   #27
Evans Fan
Rookie

i see but your defense wasn't broke sharper was pretty good pleople thought it was dumb to let him go
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2005   #28
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans Fan
i see but your defense wasn't broke sharper was pretty good pleople thought it was dumb to let him go
our defense has been broke from day one. sharper was good, but he lost a step and seemed to have issues with the management. with that said, if the texans really wanted to keep him, they would have. our defense was lagging last year. the year before our defense was heavily injured and there was alot of optimism about having a healthy defense for 2004. they didn't perform up to their optimum in my opinion. the 2005 defense should be alot better.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #29
texasguy346
Mod Squad

When we started out as an expansion team we brought in alot of veterans on defense, and looked for youth on offense. The veteran defense was to help keep the team in games as our young players on offense matured and gained experience. Our defense was getting older and it was evident that we needed to get more young guys into our defense. Capers has alot of experience with what he likes to see out of his defense, and he and Casserley put an emphasis on speed this offseason. Wong will shift from OLB to ILB (he was a MLB for the Vikes), and he is our smartest player on defense. Greenwood will play Sharper's spot, and there is no doubt that he and Wong are both better in coverage and faster than Foreman and Sharper were. Speed worked pretty well for Donnie Edwards of the Chargers last year in their 3-4, and I expect to see similiar results with Greenwood and the Texans LBs once they gel as a group.

BTW Alot of people thought it was a dumb move for Donahoe to trade back up into the first a couple years ago and pick up a talented young QB out of Tulane. I'm sure fans in Buffalo don't see it quite the same as "alot of people". You'll find that "alot of people" are prone to be wrong most of the time.
Old 07-13-2005   #30
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans Fan
Nah, he wasn't pretty good, he more like kinda good on a bad team. Never really did much to disrupt plays in the backfield, more of a sideline to sideline guy without the speed and with what speed he has it is on the decline.
Old 07-13-2005   #31
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
our defense has been broke from day one. sharper was good, but he lost a step and seemed to have issues with the management. with that said, if the texans really wanted to keep him, they would have. our defense was lagging last year. the year before our defense was heavily injured and there was alot of optimism about having a healthy defense for 2004. they didn't perform up to their optimum in my opinion. the 2005 defense should be alot better.
Exactly.... it is not like we have salary cap problems for the front office to be motivated to "force" Sharper's release. Under that premise, you are correct..."if we wanted to keep him, we would have", ESPECIALLY if we thought we could improve. The 05 defense HAS TO BE A LOT BETTER... and will be a key to season. If releasing Sharper and Foreman didn't raise eyebrows, what does?
Old 07-13-2005   #32
Texan Spain
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo, the Marble Eye
If releasing Sharper and Foreman didn't raise eyebrows, what does?

Releasing Aaron Glenn and not signing a NT
Texan Spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #33
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Well we did sign a NT by re-signing Seth Payne. I think he's a very good NT.
Old 07-13-2005   #34
Evans Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
BTW Alot of people thought it was a dumb move for Donahoe to trade back up into the first a couple years ago and pick up a talented young QB out of Tulane. I'm sure fans in Buffalo don't see it quite the same as "alot of people". You'll find that "alot of people" are prone to be wrong most of the time.
Hmmm from what i heard up here people thought it was stupid too, even me. People thought drafting evans was stupid but he proved them wrong so will Losman
Old 07-13-2005   #35
texasguy346
Mod Squad

That's the my point. The whole "a lot of people think" logic doesn't hold much water. No one knows how it will play out till the players get to show it on the field. Guess that part got by you.
Old 07-13-2005   #36
ghostlight
All Pro

Rep Power: 202 ghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respectedghostlight is a quality contributor and well respected

These are the posts I was looking for. Great posts on our DL. I started a Thread asking about Walker and Payne. I just read the last 10 posts and got
a complete view of our DL going into training camp. Thanks to everybody for being so dedicaded to this board. I look forward to checking in daily.
Old 07-15-2005   #37
DreamCatcher
Rookie

[quote=corrosion][quote=Zac]
I would like McKinney to be moved to Left Guard.

Quote:

I'ds like to see Mckinney moved to ..... a seat in the stands :brickwall

I hope we see an improved McKinney because its vital that Carr gets more protection.
Old 07-15-2005   #38
Texan Spain
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Well we did sign a NT by re-signing Seth Payne. I think he's a very good NT.
But we need a decent backup NT to give Payne oxigen and if he is injured, because we have 4-3 DT, but no goos 3-4 NT backup
Texan Spain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

New faces donít necessarily mean better players. Deloach and Ioane are probably as good as anyone's reserve nose tackles.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #40
Zac
Rookie

I think that the backups on the defensive line are fine. It's the talent that is on the starters core that worries me. Walker and Payne have been so much. Can they really contribute now. And Smith wasn't as good as I expected last year.

And even though the Linebackers are the key to a 3-4 defense. It is the defensive linemen that must apply the initial pressure for the 3-4 defense to really be effective.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read