Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston Texans, paying it forward

A sunny day for Zachary
Quote:
"Mom, we CAN'T walk over there; we're gonna get in trouble!"

That's what 11-year-old Zachary Nettles whispered to his mother, Misty, outside of the Houston Methodist Training Center on Tuesday afternoon. The Texans were beginning their eighth day of OTA's, and Zachary was being led into the facility by his "rule-breaking" mom.

Unbeknownst to Zachary, Misty wasn't breaking any rules at all. Texans head coach Bill O'Brien had invited the Nettles out to practice so that the "biggest Texans fan in the world" could hang out with his idols. You know, just a casual Tuesday.

Overwhelmed and slightly in shock, Zachary watched intently from the sidelines as J.J. Watt ran defensive drills and Case Keenum threw deep passes to DeAndre Hopkins. O'Brien, in true head coach fashion, told the young fan to "grab a Gatorade."

The whole scenario was surreal for Zachary, whose tenacious mentality on the football field earned him the nickname "Tank." Recently, this warrior mindset has come in handy off the gridiron, as well.

In May, Zachary began treatment for a rare auto immune eye disease that is causing him to go blind. His weekly visits to the hospital often induce feelings of fatigue and sickness, but there was certainly no sign of illness on that sunny afternoon.

As practice was wrapping up, O'Brien called Zachary over to the huddle and introduced him to the entire squad. The youngster broke the huddle and interacted with many of his favorite players, including Watt, Hopkins, Keenum, Jadeveon Clowney, Arian Foster, Chris Myers and more.

Zachary walked away with Hopkins' gloves, Watt's shoes, a signed No. 99 jersey, Keenum's QB towel and a game ball from O'Brien. But perhaps the most valuable thing the Nettles took back with them were the memories Zachary can reflect back on during his gloomier days at the hospital.

On his way out, Zachary made one last observation...

Im sorry, mom, but this is better than what you got me for my birthday."

--houstontexans.com
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans, paying it forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
WAY COOL! Thanks for posting!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Dad gum this sort of stuff choke me up. It never grows old or less emotional for me. Thanks for posting and thanks to Texans.
Old 06-12-2014   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Poor kid. Just awful.

Really cool that the Texans did that for him.

Next stop? Playboy mansion. Take it in, kid.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read