Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013   #341
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training camp 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I do understand that. The issue here is with the read-option offense, not the Pistol formation. That the read option works very well out of the Pistol or Shotgun doesn't make those particular formations, or any other formation it's run from, necessarily dangerous to the QB's health.......if your QB is built for hard hits even when standing still. I saw Big Ben running his offense from the Pistol. He wasn't a QB dual-threat at all. It was all about giving the QB the benefit of the shotgun to read and diagnose the defense while presenting the threat of a power running game to the defense. It would also change the offensive line play. With the RB positioned behind the "shotgun" QB, the ZBS timing would no doubt lose some of its effectiveness.
The most obvious thing I see is the ability of the ZBS to make pass and run plays look the same. That's the biggest advantage of the ZBS and, to me, trumps the read-option. There's no need to be "flukey" and put your QB at risk. Maybe "read-option teams are trying to compensate for poor NFL OL play? I'm just typing and thinking out loud here. Regardless, I see the "read-option" going the way of the Dodo in the near future.
Old 07-31-2013   #342
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I spy my cougar red shoes in that picture. Those little girls were adorable.

I back up Zierlien's statements about Hopkins. I was impressed by how he went up against JJo in the 1v1 drills. He's clearly a cut above the other receivers I saw today.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #343
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Help a short bus out...kinda ambiguous or I'm reading it wrong.
He's saying you're not going to out-work either of them. When it's you in the gym (or wherever) & them, you're not going to out do them, they won't allow it, it's in their genes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The Pistol isn't a strictly QB run option formation.
But they're saying it was to give our defense a look.... so they aren't caught unawares. If that was the case it would make sense for Case to be out there with the scout team.

With Schaub running it, we're wasting our time unless the offense plans on using it sometime during the season. Like the reverse, something we'll probably see twice this season.
Old 07-31-2013   #344
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I spy my cougar red shoes in that picture. Those little girls were adorable.

I back up Zierlien's statements about Hopkins. I was impressed by how he went up against JJo in the 1v1 drills. He's clearly a cut above the other receivers I saw today.
The girl on left looks like my former neighbor whose apartment caught on fire a few months ago. Lexie could be her sister. Wow. Picture like that melts my heart.
Old 07-31-2013   #345
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
But they're saying it was to give our defense a look.... so they aren't caught unawares. If that was the case it would make sense for Case to be out there with the scout team.

With Schaub running it, we're wasting our time unless the offense plans on using it sometime during the season. Like the reverse, something we'll probably see twice this season.
This is the part we agree on. It was to give our defense a look -- not to get them ready to actually play against it. So there's no need to have a runner in at the QB position to simulate someone like a Russell Wilson or a Kaepernick.

So... since it was just for the look and for the alignment, having Schaub in there is fine.

But like LZ said, I wouldn't mind us using a few Pistol alignment plays just to give Schaub a little more set-up time. AND... I wouldn't mind taking Schaub off the field once or twice and putting Foster and Tate back there together and have one of them be the "QB". We won't do that but I wouldn't mind it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #346
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
i think he says they both have talent but JJ has the better work ethic, thats how I read it.
Quote:
a hard worker, which is as much as he could know from one practice with the Texans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
????

How did you get that?

He's saying they both have talent but what makes them both special is their work ethic.
Cool.

I wasn't the only one that found it confusing.

Thanks

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #347
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone go to a practice and get an autograph? How is the autograph wristband "raffle" thing working?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2013   #348
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is the part we agree on. It was to give our defense a look -- not to get them ready to actually play against it. So there's no need to have a runner in at the QB position to simulate someone like a Russell Wilson or a Kaepernick.

So... since it was just for the look and for the alignment, having Schaub in there is fine.

But like LZ said, I wouldn't mind us using a few Pistol alignment plays just to give Schaub a little more set-up time. AND... I wouldn't mind taking Schaub off the field once or twice and putting Foster and Tate back there together and have one of them be the "QB". We won't do that but I wouldn't mind it.
It really doesn't make sense for our starters to be running plays out of the pistol formation unless we were thinking about adding it in.

For several reasons...We're in the heat of Training Camp...I can't see Kubiak taking time out from valuable practice time to have his starters running some stuff that has nothing to do with what we are going to do.

Just lining up in the pistol so the defense can get alignment stuff down can be done with dummies or back up defensive players.

Our first game is against the Chargers...Normally, you work on things to prepare for that first game, and when you play those teams with pistol formations you'll use the scout team to work on that stuff during the "week of"...

And if you really were trying to do something for the defense to give them a good look, why not use a QB that more closely resembles what those teams have?

I don't know if we'll see the pistol formation, but I think Kubiak is thinking about it. It is something that makes sense with this offense. Really it can make sense with any offense because it's just a formation, but with us wanting our plays to look the same and wanting to run multiple sets with various personnel, it can be used as something to keep the defense off guard. Pistol formation doesn't automatically = read option (I know that you didn't say that, I'm just making that statement).

Plus like you and LZ said, it would still allow for us to do our play actions, but it'd give the QB more time to get his head up down field because he wouldn't be coming from under center.

I hope we do see the pistol formation from these guys sometimes.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #349
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Open texting again, reads bottom-to-top
================================

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 17m
Muir's injury was an ankle. #TexansTalk

PDS ‏@PatDStat 25m
McCain and Jean lobbying to the ref about pass interference. Wanted a flag. Refs are here working. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 29m
Schaub with a jump ball to Hopkins from the 2 in the corner for the touchdown. #texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 32m
Hopkins with a great jumping catch over #texans tallest safety Johnson. Schaub under threw him and he came back and got it.

PDS ‏@PatDStat 32m
Hopkins starts 2 minute drill in style from a deep ball from Schaub. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 39m
Huge grown from the crowd as Martin drops a simulates punt from a jug machine. #texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 44m
Get Dennis Johnson into space and let him work. Showed why he can be something for this team on that run. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 45m
Kareem finds and locates the ball and breaks up the deep ball to Andre. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 47m
NT Muir goes down with a left lower leg injury. Guess is an ankle. Can't really put weight on it walking off. #texans

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 47m
That's a shame. It looks like a left leg injury. He had been playing very well. #TexansTalk

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 47m
Daniel Muir being helped off the field. Some sort of left leg injury. #Texans

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 48m
Daniel Muir went down on that last play. He's being helped to the trainer's tent.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 53m
Schaub under pressure throws a real good ball to Owen Daniels over the middle. #texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 55m
Swearinger with nice coverage in the endzone. Breaks up a pass intended for Byrne. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 58m
DeAndre Hopkins settling into this offense. Can tell he is understanding what grid being asked. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Keenum with a great throw to Mike Smith but Smith dropped it in the back of the endzone. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Nwachukwu with a great doing catch from Keenum in the endzone. Bouye was in the coverage. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Alec Lemon with a nice catch near the goal line. Has progressed the most of the UDFA WRs since the start of mini camp. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 1h
Arian Foster is having a really good time watching O Line / D Line drills. Brooks and Watt hitting pretty good. #texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
TJ with a nice placed ball do Dennis Johnson over Dobbins for a TD. #Texans

Drawing the loudest cheer non-JJ walking by, Hopkins with a huge catch in the corner of the end zone over K Jackson. #texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
DeAndre Hopkins make the fade relevant again in Houston. Great catch over Kareem. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Cushing with the pass break up on Daniels in 7 on 7. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Brandon Brooks controlling Watt again on 1 on 1s. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Martin, Bonner and D. Johnson returning punts. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Good ball from Case on an out route by Nwachukwu couldn't come up with it. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
David Hunter has been having a strong camp. He is hard to move off the line of scrimmage when he gets anchored. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Crick with the pass deflection. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
McCain looking strong again. Looked solid in coverage across the middle on Martin. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Bonner in the middle of the field can be dangerous, he caught a pass and put a move on Roc. Gets north in a hurry. #Texans

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 1h
The more I see Bonner underneath, the more I like it.

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Orhian Johnson having a strong day today. Looks good inside the box. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Defensive line generating some pass rush today. Offense working blitz pickup. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Tim Jamison with a strong defensive play to stop Cierre Wood on the draw. #Texans

Err Keenum on that last throw

Nice catch by Garrett Graham over Braman on the sideline but Schaub would have been sacked in a game.

Garrett Graham looks good. Just showed off the great hands everyone saw last season on a leaping catch. #texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Garrett Graham with a sideline catch over the OLB from Keenum. #Texans

With Cushing sitting out 11 on 11, Dobbins and Mays in with 1st team D. Tate just ran right past Mays. #texans

The online started today strong, getting some push on run plays but Dline looking good in pass rush. #TexansTalk

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Dobbins would have had a sack on that blitz. Defense collapsed the pocket to get to Schaub. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Boren flatten Ja'Gared Davis in the hole. Finished the lead block on him. #Texans

Crick busted through the line on that last play. Continues to look good.

Willie Jefferson was just owned on back to back plays by the O Line. One from the left other from right. #texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Crick with a good pass rush would have had Yates For the sack. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Offensive line taking it to the d some. Getting a good push. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Graham getting his first contact today. Does a good job of sealing the edge for the Johnson run. #Texans

Mercilus still watching practice with a sleeve on his leg as he recovers from a strained hamstring. #texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Tate with a nice run off of Wade Smith. Untouched. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Justin Tuggle showing some life. Working opposite of Reed. #Texans

Great push up the middle from Terrell McClain up the middle at nose. #texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Orhian Johnson showed some closing speed on a catch by Clutts. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Jared Crick with playing strong there. Holds up the RB until help gets there. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Jefferson comes back and makes the next play. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Jefferson pancaked by Ryan Harris on a run by Dennis Johnson. #Texans

Garrett Graham back in full pads with team. #texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Justin Tuggle getting some work with the defense. Would have stopped that run for a loss. #Texans

First pass of the day on 11 on 11 ... Schaub complete to a diving Hopkins over the middle. #texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Schaub with all time to throw finds Hopkins on an in route. #Texans

UDFA Justin Tuggle is getting some work at OLB with the ones. #TexansTalk

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Joe Mays making his presence felt early. Stuffed the fullback and the run. #Texans

It looks like Sam Montgomery, who got the boot off his ankle a couple days ago, is working on the side field today. #TexansTalk

PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
#Texans working individual drills at the moment.

Players in helmets and shoulder pads and shorts today. #texans

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew 2h
Former #Texans GM Charley Casserly doing a live shot on @nflnetwork. pic.twitter.com/TPHxfmaZoj

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 2h
Looks like another vet day off for Greg Jones.

No full pads today but we have shells for today's morning open practice.

JJ just ran through the crowd and it went nuts. The other D-linemen got a kick out if it.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #350
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Quote:
Kubiak: Pistol not just a look for defense. Something they are looking at, players have fun w/ it.
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
Just as Washington did, Texans can still run outside zone out of Pistol as well as boot-action passing attack. Win/win in my opinion.

Pistol formation allows Schaub to get set up quickly and better incorporate more 3 step passing attack into passing game.

Gary Kubiak had a change of heart, I suppose, and he says Texans looking at Pistol formation for their own team. Makes a ton of sense
Marc Vandermeer ‏@TexansVoice
Quote:
Kubiak: occasional pistol look in practice is to possibly work it in a bit and show the D that look
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Quote:
Very #Texans heavy officiating video. Cushing vs Slauson, Schaub vs. Mays and Forsett vs. Schwartz all make appearances.

Says last year Slauson's block on Cushing was only illegal because of where it happened. The actual move was not illegal. Is now. #Texans

Officials video uses Cushing injury play as first example of illegal peel back block, which is now illegal. #Texans

"He's way behind" Kubiak says twice on Sam Montgomery. #Texans

"he works out here for 2 hours and then he works the crowd," Kubiak says, as he pauses while crowd cheering for Watt drowns him out. #Texans

"I'm sitting here watching No. 10, I liked that, I know that," Kubiak said. #Texans

Kubiak says Muir is an ankle. Earl Okine struggled with the heat. #Texans
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
"The good thing is that we're going against one of the top defenses in the league each and everyday, so that makes us better." - Schaub on O

Looking back on it, Hopkins made a few huge catches today. Made huge plays during 2 minute drill. #texans

JJ Watt was working both side of the crowd to see who was louder & that would be the side that he would go to sign autographs at 1st. #texans

Schaub still on the field signing autographs. Practice ended over 20 minutes ago. #texans

Schaub said that Duane Brown at LT is "paramount". #texans
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Quote:
#Texans have a morning practice tomorrow and will be off until Sunday. Four practices then head to Minnesota. #Texans

Hopkins greatest strength is his ability to jump and get the ball at the highest point. Makes it easy for Schaub to just throw it up there.

Ben Jones said he wears a Georgia Bulldogs shirt into the locker room nearly everyday to remind his fellow SEC teammates. #Texans

Kubiak insists the pistol is for the defensive looks. Cc @LanceZierlein #Texans
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
"First off, I’m sitting here watching No. 10 today. I like that. I know that. He’s making a lot of plays." -- Kubiak on Hopkins #TexansTalk

having to move my feet, be ready for anything else." (3/3)

"all types of different moves and stuff like that. Him being the total package, it just helps me out, having to sit down ... (2/3)

RG Brooks on going against Watt in drills: "I think very beneficial because I think he’s a total package, strength, speed ... (1/3)

"now he’s got an ankle he can do nothing about." (2/2)

Kubiak on Montgomery: "He’s way behind the team. Way behind. You know, he was behind conditioning-wise ... (1/2)
Greg Bailey ‏@GregBailey13
Quote:
Overall day 7 at Texans camp: everybody tired and it shows. But it's a great sign that so many players stay late for extra work. #Texans

Brandon Brooks asked about hitting the training camp wall: when you have to block JJ Watt every day, you don't have a choice.

Just talked with Keenum. Said hard work starting to pay off. learned a lot watching Schaub. Every day he paid attention and learned. #Texans

Another day more rave reviews for Case Keenum. Matt Schaub really likes Keenum's progress. Case can play. #Texans

Last edited by Playoffs; 08-01-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2013   #351
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It really doesn't make sense for our starters to be running plays out of the pistol formation unless we were thinking about adding it in.

For several reasons...We're in the heat of Training Camp...I can't see Kubiak taking time out from valuable practice time to have his starters running some stuff that has nothing to do with what we are going to do.

Just lining up in the pistol so the defense can get alignment stuff down can be done with dummies or back up defensive players.

Our first game is against the Chargers...Normally, you work on things to prepare for that first game, and when you play those teams with pistol formations you'll use the scout team to work on that stuff during the "week of"...

And if you really were trying to do something for the defense to give them a good look, why not use a QB that more closely resembles what those teams have?

I don't know if we'll see the pistol formation, but I think Kubiak is thinking about it. It is something that makes sense with this offense. Really it can make sense with any offense because it's just a formation, but with us wanting our plays to look the same and wanting to run multiple sets with various personnel, it can be used as something to keep the defense off guard. Pistol formation doesn't automatically = read option (I know that you didn't say that, I'm just making that statement).

Plus like you and LZ said, it would still allow for us to do our play actions, but it'd give the QB more time to get his head up down field because he wouldn't be coming from under center.

I hope we do see the pistol formation from these guys sometimes.
More has come out from LZ today making it sound like the Texans are experimenting with the pistol formation for the offense (ie running it with Schaub and the 1's). I do know that Weeden and Landry both ran a TON of pistol formation at their respective NCAA schools and were fairly successful with it and neither of those guys are considered "running" or even "athletic" QB's, so I don't have much in the way of doubts with Schaub running it.

I think the problem is that Arian isn't currently practicing right now, so if we are planning on using it for offense, I cannot imagine them doing it very early in the season if Arian isn't used to working out of that particular formation.

note: I went on Tuesday and I didn't see many (or any if I can recall right) pistol formations, so I really can't comment on if it looks like something viable for the Texans offense.
Old 08-01-2013   #352
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

August 1, 2013 at 11:46 am by Dale Robertson

Quote:

The Texans’ two third-round draft choices have fallen “way behind” – coach Gary Kubiak’s words – because of early injuries and seem unlikely to contribute much this season, at least before the bye week.

Linebacker Sam Montgomery reported out of shape, then immediately suffered a sprained ankle. Offensive tackle Brennan Williams sprained his knee in the second rookie minicamp practice in May, which required arthroscopic surgery, and the same knee had to be drained because of swelling Wednesday.

“Don’t get me wrong; if you’re injured and you can’t go, you can’t go,” Kubiak said. “But it’s tough because we were counting on those guys to push players on our team and to be in a position to help us. It’s just not happening right now. Hopefully, we can get them going and hopefully we can get them out here as soon as possible.”
Keep in mind, OUR BYE WEEK IS WEEK 8.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #353
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 10842 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Man I am getting so stoked for the season to start! Can't wait to get back to screaming at the TV with beer in hand!
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #354
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As far as injuries suffered at camp on Thursday, the most severe was nose tackle Daniel Muir, who got his ankle stepped on. He needed to be helped off the field and was carted inside. ILB Cameron Collins has a hamstring injury and Earl Okine struggled with the heat. He looked dizzy during practice on the sideline.

Whitney Mercilus was still out of practice with a hammy injury. Reed, DeVier Posey and Arian Foster continued to work on the side.
They’re all on the PUP.
Quote:

The Texans will have a walk-through on Thursday afternoon and just a morning practice on Friday. Kubiak said Friday’s practice will be the most difficult of camp so far because of the lack of bodies and the wear and tear. Saturday will be an off day.

“I think they’re working through that right now,” Kubiak said when asked about his players hitting a training camp wall.

Observations:

•UDFA Justin Tuggle got plenty of work with the first-team defense at outside linebacker on Thursday. They’ve used a few different guys there since Whitney Mercilus has been out with a hamstring injury.

•Willie Jefferson didn’t have a good day. He’s been turning plenty of heads but rookies have ups and downs. Thursday was a down day.

•Jared Crick continues to show improvement. He was excellent in pass rush drills and even better when they worked in 11-on-11s.

•Yeah, DeAndre Hopkins is impressing everyone, including Gary Kubiak. Hopkins made several big plays throughout practice and shined in the two-minute drill. He has shown the ability to go up and catch the ball vs. a defensive back.

“First off, I’m sitting here watching No. 10 today,” Kubiak said. “I like that. I know that. He’s making a lot of plays.”

•Garrett Graham looks healthy again. The tight end, who started camp on the Non-Football Illness list with a nasty virus, made a big catch today over Bryan Braman on the sideline.

•During 2-on-2 pass rushing drills, Chris Jones lined up on the outside, while Terrell McClain lined up at nose. The Texans have been making Jones learn all the positions but had worked him primarily at nose.
link

Especially hate seeing that with Muir.
Old 08-01-2013   #355
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Especially hate seeing that with Muir.
Me, too. Hope it's not bad. He was showing pretty good.

In better news...

Quote:
The most welcome sights Thursday morning were seeing LB Brian Cushing making his debut in the seven-on-seven drills. In fact, he batted down the first pass thrown his way.

“It felt great,” Cushing said. “I’ve been telling guys, this is the right feeling. I’m playing football, making plays again. It was a long offseason, but I’ve got no worries now, no residual effects (from his anterior cruciate ligament repair). No pain. I can plant and cut. Everything feels normal again.”
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...7-on-7-drills/

Last edited by Playoffs; 08-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2013   #356
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Me, too. Hope it's not bad. He was showing pretty good.
When a big player's foot is planted on the ground and immobilized by another player stepping on it, you worry about the weight of the big body simultaneously falling to the side (without the foot being able to come with it) and tearing not only the ligament(s), but also fracturing off attached bone. Hopefully, Muir's foot was released before he faltered. Being "helped" off the field and then carted off makes it more likely that he has suffered a significant ligament tear, plus or minus an accompany fracture. The Texans will know after an x-ray and MRI.
Old 08-01-2013   #357
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
August 1, 2013 at 11:46 am by Dale Robertson

The Texans’ two third-round draft choices have fallen “way behind” – coach Gary Kubiak’s words – because of early injuries and seem unlikely to contribute much this season, at least before the bye week.

Linebacker Sam Montgomery reported out of shape, then immediately suffered a sprained ankle. Offensive tackle Brennan Williams sprained his knee in the second rookie minicamp practice in May, which required arthroscopic surgery, and the same knee had to be drained because of swelling Wednesday.

“Don’t get me wrong; if you’re injured and you can’t go, you can’t go,” Kubiak said. “But it’s tough because we were counting on those guys to push players on our team and to be in a position to help us. It’s just not happening right now. Hopefully, we can get them going and hopefully we can get them out here as soon as possible.”

Keep in mind, OUR BYE WEEK IS WEEK 8.
I wouldn't worry about this. Yeah, they're falling behind and that sucks, but week 8 is obnoxious. We haven't even been a full official week into camp yet. As long as they step up I think they'll be fine.

The "not contributing this year statement" I believe came from Roto not Kubiak. Roto are awesome news breakers, but their analysis is poor at best IMO.

if Kubiak did say that, which I don't think he did, I retract everything though.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #358
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

--houstontexans.com
Old 08-01-2013   #359
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

--houstontexans.com
Old 08-01-2013   #360
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Video--The Fun Part of Being JJ Watt: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...9-6167f087dc5a

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read