Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-10-2013   #1
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Making the Leap, No. 25: Texans OLB Whitney Mercilus

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...itney-mercilus
Old 07-10-2013   #2
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Making the Leap, No. 25: Texans OLB Whitney Mercilus

I agree that Merci will have a break out season and stated my expectations last week in a post. Maybe I'm sipping the cool-aid; but just a small sip. Double digit sacks is only four more than he got last year in a very limited role. And he should get off to a fast start, with teams concentrating on JJ. To repeat, I don't think a 15 sack season is beyond belief.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Not having seen merciless yet since last season, based on what I've seen up until now, I'd guess that merciless will start losing snaps to the young rookie olb's by week 3.

I didn't see what the hype was in college and seeing him in the nfl he looked about the same.

Now, I would never rule out a player improving. He could very well have made exponential improvement this off season. That's what it'll take IMO...exponential growth for him to be the pass rushing olb we need.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #4
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

If Mercilus can step up and have a breakout season it would go a long ways for this defense which imo has major holes especially the LB corp.
Old 07-10-2013   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Now, I would never rule out a player improving. He could very well have made exponential improvement this off season. That's what it'll take IMO...exponential growth for him to be the pass rushing olb we need.
I agree. I don't think he's headed for a breakout season. For him to get into double digits he'd have to had major improvements in his game.

He's not "fast" He's not going to beat anyone around the corner. He's not "strong" he's not going to bull-rush an offensive tackle into the QB.

What he's got is good instincts, a nose for the ball, & appears to have somewhat of an ability to stay clean amidst traffic (like on that last video). Those would be great traits if he were an ILB (but right now he's too small for that in a 3-4) or if we've got excellent coverage on the back end.

At least Connor was able to get around the end forcing the QB to step up. I'm not seeing that with Mercilus & that might affect Smith & Watt.

I'm hearing great things about Travardo's speed. I'm hearing great things about Montgomery's explosiveness. Really haven't heard much about Whitney (other than we expect big things from him).
Old 07-10-2013   #6
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 108383 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree. I don't think he's headed for a breakout season. For him to get into double digits he'd have to had major improvements in his game.

He's not "fast" He's not going to beat anyone around the corner. He's not "strong" he's not going to bull-rush an offensive tackle into the QB.

What he's got is good instincts, a nose for the ball, & appears to have somewhat of an ability to stay clean amidst traffic (like on that last video). Those would be great traits if he were an ILB (but right now he's too small for that in a 3-4) or if we've got excellent coverage on the back end.

At least Connor was able to get around the end forcing the QB to step up. I'm not seeing that with Mercilus & that might affect Smith & Watt.

I'm hearing great things about Travardo's speed. I'm hearing great things about Montgomery's explosiveness. Really haven't heard much about Whitney (other than we expect big things from him).
Good take. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I see him as the next Travis Johnson type. He was taken in the 1st round but wont live up to expectations.

I could be wrong though, he might just need the time to get some significant playing time.

I have a good feeling about Travardo and Sonic too, I get a feeling they might be the next Demeco type for this team.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm looking forward to improved production from our front seven overall. I'm not gonna be happy if its the J.J. & Ninja show again this year.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2013   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those would be great traits if he were an ILB (but right now he's too small for that in a 3-4) or if we've got excellent coverage on the back end.
The coaches do not seem to share your opinion on the proper size for a 3-4 ILB.

Mercilus 257 lbs

Cushing 255 lbs - not drafted for ILB
Sharpton 234 lbs
Dobbins 236 lbs
Davis 238 lbs
Old 07-11-2013   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The coaches do not seem to share your opinion on the proper size for a 3-4 ILB.

Mercilus 257 lbs

Cushing 255 lbs - not drafted for ILB
Sharpton 234 lbs
Dobbins 236 lbs
Davis 238 lbs
Maybe it's the pads he wears..... or he's taller & doesn't carry it the same way. The other guys look stouter.
Old 07-11-2013   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe it's the pads he wears..... or he's taller & doesn't carry it the same way. The other guys look stouter.
Besides Cushing I think he's like 3 or 4 inches taller than those other guys. Not sure what that means...just throwing it out there...
Old 09-09-2013   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans' Mercilus transitions to full-time role

Quote:
Last season the Houston Texans didn't use outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus much, but when they did he made a difference.

Their first-round draft pick from 2012 only played 469 snaps last season, putting him in the bottom half of playing time for defensive first-round picks from 2012. Only Fletcher Cox's production rate was higher than Mercilus's last season. With some help from ESPN Stats & Info, I counted impact plays as forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, tackles for loss, sacks, pass breakups and interceptions. The last column, in the chart below, shows on what percent of their snaps each player made an impact play...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #12
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134590 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was a DE, so I guess he has a lankier build?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Merci it is time to rise and shine.
Old 09-09-2013   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Jefferon, Cushing, Reed, Mercilus would make a helluva starting LB corps if Jefferson and Mercilus were to improve on stopping the run and setting the edge. It would certainly be hell on wheels in passing situations.
Old 09-09-2013   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Hey Merci it is time to rise and shine.
Yep....lets go!
Old 09-09-2013   #16
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 14418 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not having seen merciless yet since last season, based on what I've seen up until now, I'd guess that merciless will start losing snaps to the young rookie olb's by week 3.

I didn't see what the hype was in college and seeing him in the nfl he looked about the same.

He had 16 sacks and 9 forced fumbles in one season. That's a pretty big deal.
Old 09-10-2013   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
He had 16 sacks and 9 forced fumbles in one season. That's a pretty big deal.
I'm talking about how he looked on film. Lots of guys put up stats in the NCAA.

Merciless looked good last night thought. It didn't show up in the sacks department, but I think he's going to have a good year.
Old 09-10-2013   #18
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 14418 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm talking about how he looked on film. Lots of guys put up stats in the NCAA.

Merciless looked good last night thought. It didn't show up in the sacks department, but I think he's going to have a good year.
Last night the defense looked ridiculous in the second half. Only problem was we could never finish the sack. It seemed like every other play we were sending loads of guys after rivers and we would penetrate the pocket with ease but he always got rid of the ball. Pretty frustrating to see us never get the sack but the disruption was certainly good to see.

I can only hope those sacks will start falling into place.
Old 09-10-2013   #19
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 578 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last night the defense looked ridiculous in the second half. Only problem was we could never finish the sack. It seemed like every other play we were sending loads of guys after rivers and we would penetrate the pocket with ease but he always got rid of the ball. Pretty frustrating to see us never get the sack but the disruption was certainly good to see.

Yeah he was sending the ball outta there real quick, resulting in lots of incomplete passes. I don't even remember them converting a 3rd down in the 2nd half after our D stepped up
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013   #20
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mercilus recorded a sack as did Manning. There could have been more but we werent blanked
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read