Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-09-2013   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans_Chick: Texans are not a “run first team”

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Run first teams don't put up over 4000 yds passing year in and year out.
I'm not saying that's elite, I'm just saying. Year in & year out??? That sounds like elite.

But I'm not saying it.
Old 07-10-2013   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290332 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
8 yrs is hardly a swinging door approach.

Seems as though you may be a Kubiak HC for life kida guy.
I'm a stability kinda guy, a Tom Landry, Chuck Noll kinda guy who believes that as long as the coach can stay relevant and produce a winning team, you keep him.

I'm not a fire Bum Phillips after six years and three consecutive trips to the playoffs kinda guy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm not a fire Bum Phillips after six years and three consecutive trips to the playoffs kinda guy.
Exactly and how well did that work out? - six years and twenty three wins after three trips to the playoffs and the latter was with Moon and Campbell. 32 wins in 3 years v. 26 wins in 6. Get rid of the bum because he didn't make it all the way even if he was going up against the AFC team of the decade.
Old 07-10-2013   #24
ArTex
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respectedArTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Didnt Texans lead the league in rushing attempts in 2011?

There are basically no run-first teams anymore. ( At least not in the classic sense of RBs getting carries, now more QBs are running the ball themselves)

Texans are a run-HEAVY team for sure.

They're run-first in image because of Kubiak's "vanilla" style not deviating from his gameplan in a way thats attributed to conservative run oriented coaches. But it doesnt necessarily mean its "3 yards & cloud of dust" on field
ArTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290332 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTex View Post
Didnt Texans lead the league in rushing attempts in 2011?
Tied for 1st with the Tebow-led Broncos in 2011. We were 4th in 2012 behind Seattle, New England, and Washington. We were 19th and 20th in 2010 and 2011, btw.
Old 07-10-2013   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Considering that the teams ahead of the Texans in rushing attempts all have QBs that run, I think it's safe to say the Texans utilize their running back position as much or more than any other team. The Seahawks and Redskins had 32 and 15 more carries than the Texans respectively. I bet Wilson and RGIII ran the ball more than 32 and 15 times last year. Schaub ran it .... what? Once? Badly?
Old 07-10-2013   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Considering that the teams ahead of the Texans in rushing attempts all have QBs that run, I think it's safe to say the Texans utilize their running back position as much or more than any other team. The Seahawks and Redskins had 32 and 15 more carries than the Texans respectively. I bet Wilson and RGIII ran the ball more than 32 and 15 times last year. Schaub ran it .... what? Once? Badly?
Given that "all" includes Tom Brady, no.

And so what? Is the thread title "RB first team" so you get to exclude teams designed to have their QB run? That makes no sense. They're still rushing plays.
Old 07-10-2013   #28
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That Tom Brady option offense is awesome.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #29
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've heard Kubiak himself say they need to establish the run to set up the play-action. I remember this specific question to Kubiak on the radio, and he gave the typical sort of bland answers, but he said they are not a "pass first" team, as well.

And I've heard too many other Texans players make statements that the running game is extremely important aspect of their offense so the play-action and bootlegs are effective. If teams are not biting on the run, then their designed passing plays get less dimensional.

They might not be a so-called "run first" team, but they certainly need to establish a run game to make the rest of the offense balance out.

It's a fine line in definition, and one that I do not think really matters in the end. This offense cannot survive on one aspect (i.e. run vs. pass) alone to be consistently successful week in/week out.
Old 07-10-2013   #30
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Given that "all" includes Tom Brady, no.
Forgot about Brady, but he did have 23 carries and 4 TDs last year. My main point is I am not interested in factoring in QB rushes to determine how much of a running team one is. Some may be, and that's cool, but I don't consider it a valid comparison. The Texans are one of the heaviest run oriented teams in the NFL. That said, I posted early in the thread to say that there are no run first NFL teams anymore, so this is all relative.

EDIT - just for the sake of completion, I looked at Schaub. He had 21 carries last year. Who knew? The result was a grand total of -9 yards and zero TDs, so I'm not sure he was running. I think when Carr "ran" like that, they counted them as sacks.
Old 07-10-2013   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I've heard Kubiak himself say they need to establish the run to set up the play-action. I remember this specific question to Kubiak on the radio, and he gave the typical sort of bland answers, but he said they are not a "pass first" team, as well.

And I've heard too many other Texans players make statements that the running game is extremely important aspect of their offense so the play-action and bootlegs are effective. If teams are not biting on the run, then their designed passing plays get less dimensional.

They might not be a so-called "run first" team, but they certainly need to establish a run game to make the rest of the offense balance out.

It's a fine line in definition, and one that I do not think really matters in the end. This offense cannot survive on one aspect (i.e. run vs. pass) alone to be consistently successful week in/week out.
Bland answer would be exactly what it was. Fact is the Texans led the league in passing with a prolific play action passing game in which if memory serves Schaub put up 4770 yds while having the 30th ranked rushing O. Schaub gets away with it because despite being a sloth he sells the play fake as well as anyone and sells every play. Watch how many QBs actually bother to bootleg out after handing the ball off - it is very few.

Quote:
That said, I posted early in the thread to say that there are no run first NFL teams anymore, so this is all relative.
That I agree with. There are no true run first teams anymore.

Quote:
EDIT - just for the sake of completion, I looked at Schaub. He had 21 carries last year. Who knew? The result was a grand total of -9 yards and zero TDs, so I'm not sure he was running. I think when Carr "ran" like that, they counted them as sacks.
I saw that as well and don't understand the stats there.
Old 07-10-2013   #32
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bland answer would be exactly what it was. Fact is the Texans led the league in passing with a prolific play action passing game in which if memory serves Schaub put up 4770 yds while having the 30th ranked rushing O. Schaub gets away with it because despite being a sloth he sells the play fake as well as anyone and sells every play. Watch how many QBs actually bother to bootleg out after handing the ball off - it is very few.
Understood and agree.

The Texans are neither a "pass first" nor a "run first" team. I think there is an inherent logic flaw for fans to demand that they be either/or. This offense is about balance and different aspects complement each other.
Old 07-10-2013   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Forgot about Brady, but he did have 23 carries and 4 TDs last year. My main point is I am not interested in factoring in QB rushes to determine how much of a running team one is. Some may be, and that's cool, but I don't consider it a valid comparison. The Texans are one of the heaviest run oriented teams in the NFL. That said, I posted early in the thread to say that there are no run first NFL teams anymore, so this is all relative.

They count kneel downs as rushing attempts in the stats.
Old 07-10-2013   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When the QB takes a knee to end the half or the game, those are rushing attempts per the stat masters.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #35
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how many of the rushes were 2nd and long or 3rd and long draw plays that we know so well

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #36
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans pass the ball to get ahead and run the ball to kill the clock/put the game away.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I wonder how many of the rushes were 2nd and long or 3rd and long draw plays that we know so well

I was planning on taking a look at that and never got around to it.
Old 07-11-2013   #38
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm a stability kinda guy, a Tom Landry, Chuck Noll kinda guy who believes that as long as the coach can stay relevant and produce a winning team, you keep him.

MSR
Old 07-11-2013   #39
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is where we differ, I want a HC that has the abilty to win a Lombardi. If a HC hasn't won a SB in a decade, when the avg HC lifespan is 4-5 yrs odds of that HC ever winning a SB are slim. It would be time to change HC. IMHO

Gary is considered to be a QB guru, the QB's has won championships with are Montana/Young and Elway. Walsh developed Montana, Walsh/Shanahan developed Young and Shanahan developed Elway. In todays game Shanny is in the procees of Developing RG3. Who has Gary developed?

BTW, the Bum vs Landry/Noll etc, how many championships did Bum win? Blasphemy? LOL

I get what you are saying, you like a comfort factor in your HC's. I'm a risk taker who's only goal is to win and by win I mean win it all. These are 2 distinctively different personality types. BoB appears to have your type of personality and that is all that really matters.

I want you to know that I respect your position on this subject, but after almost a decade you should know what you've got in Gary and it's almost time to move on. He's got 2 more yrs to get it done or he's gone if I were BoB, depending on how he does this yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #40
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The Texans pass the ball to get ahead and run the ball to kill the clock/put the game away.
Seems fairly obvious, yet we're on page 2 of this thread, and IIRC there was a 10+ page thread last summer on the same subject.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read