Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-02-2013   #1
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Best Player In Football: JJ Watt

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...r-in-football/

Thought this was a really good read.

Quote:
In case you weren’t watching this season, Watt set about redefining what is possible at the 3-4 end position. People talk about how Lawrence Taylor burst into the league and changed the way people thought about 3-4 outside linebackers. You are witnessing the same thing happening now with Watt.
Not gonna ruin it for you so if you wanna take a look, it's WELL worth the read.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #2
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Best Player In Football: JJ Watt

To make it more awesome. Don't forget the Texans lead the league in time of possession:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...sion-net-of-ot

He was on the field less than all other defenses.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

It's funny. I tuned into the Top 100 reaction show for a short while, and the players justifying the players ahead of JJ Watt on the list didn't say those guys were the best players in football. They basically said because it's an offense driven league, you have to put an offensive player at the top. They did speak more effusively about AP than any of the QBs, FWIW. To my eyes, I think Watt was the best player in football last year, and deserving of MVP. It's easy to point to the stats of guys like AP and Calvin Johnson and the QBs, but those guys have systems in place that make sure they get those opportunities. CJ and AP get fed the ball. The QBs touch the ball on every snap, so they are obviously very important. But so much of their statistical success relies on those around them.

For Watt, he was the engine to that defense last year, and he almost never had to beat less than two guys. There's not a ton of scheming that can be done to get an interior lineman the types and numbers of opportunities that offensive players have. To the contrary, he's more often the one creating opportunities for the guys around him.

To me, it boils down to prolific vs. great. Football writers and fans seemed to be enamored with prolific numbers, equating them with greatness. That isn't always the case.
Old 07-02-2013   #4
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
There's not a ton of scheming that can be done to get an interior lineman the types and numbers of opportunities that offensive players have. To the contrary, he's more often the one creating opportunities for the guys around him.
Yep, that's what many "average" fans didn't understand. They all saw sack numbers that had been achieved previously, so it was nothing special. For those of us who understood what interior lineman are supposed to do, it was nothing short of awe-inspiring.
Old 07-02-2013   #5
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55827 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never seen a defensive player be as dominant as JJ Watt was last year. He impacted so many games DIRECTLY that I lost track after a while.

Simply masterful.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #6
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I've never seen a defensive player be as dominant as JJ Watt was last year. He impacted so many games DIRECTLY that I lost track after a while.

Simply masterful.
Old 07-04-2013   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's funny. I tuned into the Top 100 reaction show for a short while, and the players justifying the players ahead of JJ Watt on the list didn't say those guys were the best players in football. They basically said because it's an offense driven league, you have to put an offensive player at the top. They did speak more effusively about AP than any of the QBs, FWIW. To my eyes, I think Watt was the best player in football last year, and deserving of MVP. It's easy to point to the stats of guys like AP and Calvin Johnson and the QBs, but those guys have systems in place that make sure they get those opportunities. CJ and AP get fed the ball. The QBs touch the ball on every snap, so they are obviously very important. But so much of their statistical success relies on those around them.

For Watt, he was the engine to that defense last year, and he almost never had to beat less than two guys. There's not a ton of scheming that can be done to get an interior lineman the types and numbers of opportunities that offensive players have. To the contrary, he's more often the one creating opportunities for the guys around him.

To me, it boils down to prolific vs. great. Football writers and fans seemed to be enamored with prolific numbers, equating them with greatness. That isn't always the case.

Agree with absolutely everything you said........but like Watt, AP was an absolute 1 man wrecking crew last year for the vikes & if he doesn't do every bit of what he did last year, they don't make the playoffs....its just that simple. Combine that with the fact that this dude was coming of ACL surgery...It was just in-human what he did last year.

While Watt was as dominant as any 1 player, i think we still make the playoffs if he doesn't have the type of year he had..

& for that reason i had no problems with AP winning MVP last year of JJ.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2013   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

& for that reason i had no problems with AP winning MVP last year of JJ.
I don't have a problem with AP winning MVP. He was definitely deserving. I have a problem that Watt was never seriously considered. MVP has become an offensive player award, which is ridiculous since they already award Offensive Player of the Year.

I would have voted Watt, but have no real argument with AP winning. I do have an argument with the two or three other players that received more MVP votes than Watt.
Old 07-04-2013   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't have a problem with AP winning MVP. He was definitely deserving. I have a problem that Watt was never seriously considered. MVP has become an offensive player award, which is ridiculous since they already award Offensive Player of the Year.

I would have voted Watt, but have no real argument with AP winning. I do have an argument with the two or three other players that received more MVP votes than Watt.
yeah, the MVP thing kinda sucks...outside of AP, there wasn't another player in the NFL who dominated in every phase of their respective sides of the ball except Watt.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #10
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Although Adrian Peterson was deserving of the MVP (I rated him higher than Manning), I honestly though JJ Watt should have won. The things he did last season was mind blowing. At least he won the DPOY and hopefully this season he'll win the MVP.
Old 07-04-2013   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post

Simply masterful.
It's been awhile since a defensive player, especially a defensive lineman to take over & control a game like that.

But Reggie White & Charles Haley used to do it. They didn't have those numbers (different NFL) But when their team needed a play, they made it happen. Forcing a bad throw, sniffing out a screen, stuffing a 4th & inches.

Ahh... the good ol' days.
Old 07-05-2013   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ's 2012 was one of the best years ever any defensive NFL player has had. But that's one year, we'll see what happens this year ? I'm going on record right now to predict that JJ won't be the Texans' individual sack leader in 2013, that will be Mercilus.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #13
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

It's simple. Watching JJ is a thing of beauty. The article is correct, he is revolutionizing his position so enjoy him playing for the Texans while you can.
Old 07-05-2013   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
JJ's 2012 was one of the best years ever any defensive NFL player has had. But that's one year, we'll see what happens this year ? I'm going on record right now to predict that JJ won't be the Texans' individual sack leader in 2013, that will be Mercilus.
I was with you 'till you fingered Mercilus.
Old 07-05-2013   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Holy moly...
Quote:
What about his play against the run? His tackles in the run game this season totaled 11 yards of gain for the offense. When Watt made a tackle in the run game the back averaged 0.16 yards
Quote:
Watt became the first player to ever top 100 grading points in a single season at any position, ending the year with a farcical looking +101.7 grade on 958 snaps. This time last season we anointed Justin Smith the second-best player in football, and one of the most dominant defenders in the league, with a grade of +46.5 on the season. Watt more than doubled that, and this time last year we would have told you that there wasn’t much room for a player to be better than Smith. J.J. Watt is completely re-writing what we thought was possible from his position.
Old 07-06-2013   #16
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I believe you may be the first daring to make this call; but it may not be far off the mark. Wade will be designing his defense for Mercilus to attack the QB and with teams taking Watt into account on every offensive play, Mercilus will run wild until teams are forced to account for him as well. And this will open the middle for an ILB to crash the middle. This season, barring injury, is going to be awesome.

But, Watt will still be the man.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I believe you may be the first daring to make this call; but it may not be far off the mark. Wade will be designing his defense for Mercilus to attack the QB and with teams taking Watt into account on every offensive play, Mercilus will run wild until teams are forced to account for him as well. And this will open the middle for an ILB to crash the middle. This season, barring injury, is going to be awesome.

But, Watt will still be the man.
Replace Merci with Connor Barwin... didn't happen last year & when Merci came in for Connor, nothing changed. I really should sit down & study it, but with both Jj Watt & Antonio Smith demanding double teams it's mind boggling that Connor/Merci didn't have a better season than what we saw.

Not only was Merci not able to replace Barwin by playing better, he couldn't really cut into his playing time.

Cushing will make a difference, he always has. Hopefully Jj Watt, Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing, & Wade Phillips will make Merci, Montgomery, Braman, and or Travardo dangerous men.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 07-06-2013 at 02:05 PM.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Replace Merci with Connor Barwin... didn't happen last year & when Merci came in for Connor, nothing changed. I really should sit down & study it, but with both Jj Watt & Antonio Smith demanding double teams it's mind boggling that Connor/Merci didn't have a better season than what we saw.

Not only was Merci not able to replace Barwin by playing better, he couldn't really cut into his playing time.

Cushing will make a difference, he always has. Hopefully Jj Watt, Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing, & Wade Smith will make Merci, Montgomery, Braman, and or Travardo dangerous men.
WADE Smith? What's he doing in this discussion?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
WADE Smith? What's he doing in this discussion?
I meant Phillips..... thank you for correcting me.
Old 07-06-2013   #20
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Cushing will make a difference, he always has. Hopefully Jj Watt, Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing, & Wade Phillips will make Merci, Montgomery, Braman, and or Travardo dangerous men.
Can't say why the sub-par season for Barwin. But Merci played in only 12 games and started only 4 as a rookie. What I'm thinking is that with a full off season, and with his second full training camp, Merci is poised for a breakout season; and that Philips is going to design his defensive play book not just around JJ, but also around Merci. Now, he could fall as flat as Connar did last year, but I'm expecting Merci to not disappoint. Double digit sacks for a certainty and barring injury, I'm going to say at least 15.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read