Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-03-2005   #21
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

i would use Wells and Davis in the back field on like a 3 & 5 or 2 & 8.
Anything less than 5 yards would be more of a norris situation with double tights to me.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005   #22
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by royce1054
i would use Wells and Davis in the back field on like a 3 & 5 or 2 & 8.
Anything less than 5 yards would be more of a norris situation with double tights to me.
Ya see though, we can't be that predictable again this year. I'd like to see go 4 wide when it's 2nd & 2 or something like that. Not every time, just enough to keep the D honest.
Old 07-04-2005   #23
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
There is nothing scary about Jonathan Wells lining up in the backfield, and no one will be surprised if the Texans line him up at fullback and decide to throw instead of run.
.... IF they line up in a split backfield and not an I formation then if defenses are focused on blitzing Carr he can have options of dumping off to either DD or Wells releasing into the flats... creating some open field tackling dilemas.

...AND If while in the split formation the defensive line starts stunting to outside ...then inside draws with DD or Wells are nice possibilities. (I like Well's size and he does have some abilities which compliment DD if they are both on the field at the same time)

Putting 3 wide outs, dropping the tight end and having wells AND in the backfield in a split formations is risky and exciting... we shall see.
Old 07-04-2005   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We run a ball control, power rushing offense so I don't think we see to much wco around here. You guys are describing schemes from other offensive philosophies. You may find some occassional wide open sets when we are behind but we won't stray much from a power rushing scheme.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005   #25
Waltman
Rookie

Default Interesting to see

I would like to see J Well and D Davis in the back field together. It sure does not make our back field any weaker. It gives us a more versitile running and passing game.
Waltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005   #26
Waltman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Ya see though, we can't be that predictable again this year. I'd like to see go 4 wide when it's 2nd & 2 or something like that. Not every time, just enough to keep the D honest.
Hey I like the way you think. Our offense is way too predictable sometimes. Go Hard Or Don't Go At All.
Old 07-04-2005   #27
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We run a ball control, power rushing offense so I don't think we see to much wco around here. You guys are describing schemes from other offensive philosophies. You may find some occassional wide open sets when we are behind but we won't stray much from a power rushing scheme.
I agree... I am talking about a "situation" like responding to being behind by 14 points or so in the second half. Like you, I do not foresee a change in the off tackle game that Palmer and Capers endorse. I believe our o-line knows how to run block and DD has the numbers to prove it.

I guess what started this in my head was the piece on Wells being Mr Versatile and can catch.... it just makes sense if they are going to do try to do something with a wrinkle, the split formation lends itself to having Wells and DD together for a series or two.

Last edited by Vambo, the Marble Eye; 07-04-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Vambo, the Marble Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2005   #28
Waltman
Rookie

I would like us to go to our tightends more often. It will help us open up the passes on the outside. We don't have the offensive line to just pound the ball down teams throats. So we need to keep defenses honest in stead of having their ears pinned back.
Old 07-05-2005   #29
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltman
I would like us to go to our tightends more often. It will help us open up the passes on the outside. We don't have the offensive line to just pound the ball down teams throats. So we need to keep defenses honest in stead of having their ears pinned back.

Yeah, but they don't have a tight end that can block and catch....
Old 07-10-2005   #30
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I like the 3 WR for situations not as my main O. My main problem with it is....I'm a RUNNING kinda guy. I like to pound it till ya mama says stop.

With a 1 back set you have to have a rb who can either make their own holes or elusive enough to create holes out of nothing. DD is nice but i'm not sure either one of those describes him. Most of you will say the latter is him but I just dont see him as a east-west kinda guy. I think elusive I just dont thinkt here are many in the NFL period with those kinda skills.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005   #31
stephen1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo, the Marble Eye
Yeah, but they don't have a tight end that can block and catch....
oh we have one allright, he just has no knees
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005   #32
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
With a 1 back set you have to have a rb who can either make their own holes or elusive enough to create holes out of nothing. DD is nice but i'm not sure either one of those describes him. Most of you will say the latter is him but I just dont see him as a east-west kinda guy. I think elusive I just dont thinkt here are many in the NFL period with those kinda skills.
When you look at it on paper, having a FB seems to make sense pounding the ball, but we seemed to do just fine lining up in a 3 WR set and DD alone in the backfield. DD can find the hole without a FB, Norris helps on certain situations, but having him in there at FB doesn't spread the defense like a 3 WR set. it really is a situational thing and trying to find the right mismatch.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read