Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-30-2005   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Default Houston 3-Wide Set

We are one of 5 teams featured on NFL.com front page that are slated to have breakout years if we can exploit the 3 wide set. I think that they are right, because as much as you guys doubt Mathis as a rookie contributer, I think he has a chance to be the steal of the draft this year if we can just give Carr some tim to throw, because teams wont play single coverage on AJ, and will probably have a 3rd string DB or starting OLB on Mathis. I just think his speed will be too much to contain. Gaffney and Bradford will contribute too. But enough of my opinions here is the article.nfl.com
Old 06-30-2005   #2
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

We are now less than a month away from training camp. The first day of camp is also my birthday. I can't wait to start getting the updates.
Old 06-30-2005   #3
crazy4u310
Rookie

Default NFL.com article from Pat Kriwan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8607119

"Houston is an interesting team that feels it is time for the postseason. Its three-wide package would scare me a lot more than anything else it would put on the field. Andre Johnson, Corey Bradford or Jabar Gaffney along with rookie speedster Jerome Mathis creates matchups FB Moran Morris or TE Billy Miller can't deliver. "

Go read the whole article.
crazy4u310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #4
canadiantexan
Veteran

Default Story on NFL.com feat..Houston

Pat Kirwan article about 5 teams possibly ready to make the jump to the playoffs and what offense those teams can run to give the defense trouble. It's not bad he makes a pretty good point about who you would want to see on the feild, although obviously on short yardage you would need the FB or extra TE. Tell me what you think.

P.S. I just got 2 new Texans hats and a new shirt today for my birthday from my mother that stuffs pretty hard to get around here.

EDIT: We must have been typing at the same time.

Last edited by canadiantexan; 06-30-2005 at 10:26 AM.
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #5
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Happ Birthday
Old 06-30-2005   #6
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Happ Birthday
Thank you...It's along weekend up here because Canada day is Friday so every year Me and my buddies go up to the cottage and tie one on. and do a little man I love these
Old 06-30-2005   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder what our production was working out of the 3WR set. I know during the month of October we saw it quite a bit and our win total was real nice around that time. Our receivers were pretty strong against Tenn and Oakland for those weeks. But what I really want to know is what was Davis' production in the 3WR set as apposed to having the FB in there.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-30-2005   #8
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan
Pat Kirwan article about 5 teams possibly ready to make the jump to the playoffs and what offense those teams can run to give the defense trouble. It's not bad he makes a pretty good point about who you would want to see on the feild, although obviously on short yardage you would need the FB or extra TE. Tell me what you think.

P.S. I just got 2 new Texans hats and a new shirt today for my birthday from my mother that stuffs pretty hard to get around here.

EDIT: We must have been typing at the same time.
Decent article and one I certainly agree with as my prefered O-set - the 3 receiver set is really nice and breaks open the zone and cover 2 pretty nice.

HAppy B-day CanadianTexan - I hear yah on getting Texan stuff up north CA-Texan. I havea friend named Jennifer in Quebec I have been sending Texan stuff too the last 3 years since she came down to visit there first year. I got her hooked early! So have no fear there are more Texan fans in Canada to cheer with! YAY!

Incidentally - I will be coming up to visit her and some other friends in Quebec for 2 weeks this September [labor day weekend]for vacation. Might be cool to get some Texan fans together in Canada for a brew, some pix and game day festivities. Not sure what province your in, but we might be able to arrange something as I will be there a bit. Heck I'll even bring some Stubbs real BBQ sauce and mexican fajita seasonings and we can have a cookout/tailgate in Canada if you want. Woohoo - would be cool to party with Yous Guys - eh!

peace,

Rob/u4ikrob

Last edited by U4ikrob; 06-30-2005 at 10:49 AM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I noticed and he compares the 3WR with Buffalo is that we have to have a very good offensive line and a TE that can both catch and block. If your line sucks at this they can bring that blitz all day and force you out of that set. Kelly had a great line with really good TEs.
Old 06-30-2005   #10
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
Decent article and one I certainly agree with as my prefered O-set - the 3 receiver set is really nice and breaks open the zone and cover 2 pretty nice.

HAppy B-day CanadianTexan - I hear yah on getting Texan stuff up north CA-Texan. I havea friend named Jennifer in Quebec I have been sending Texan stuff too the last 3 years since she came down to visit there first year. I got her hooked early! So have no fear there are more Texan fans in Canada to cheer with! YAY!

Incidentally - I will be coming up to visit her and some other friends in Quebec for 2 weeks this September [labor day weekend]for vacation. Might be cool to get some Texan fans together in Canada for a brew, some pix and game day festivities. Not sure what province your in, but we might be able to arrange something as I will be there a bit. Heck I'll even bring some Stubbs real BBQ sauce and mexican fajita seasonings and we can have a cookout/tailgate in Canada if you want. Woohoo - would be cool to party with Yous Guys - eh!

peace,

Rob/u4ikrob

Quebec is certainly within driving range and I think during that time span I'll be in Nova Scotia so I'll be even cloer to those brew we will have to see if we can put something together. By the way your not a homicidle maniac are you?
Old 06-30-2005   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
One thing I noticed and he compares the 3WR with Buffalo is that we have to have a very good offensive line and a TE that can both catch and block. If your line sucks at this they can bring that blitz all day and force you out of that set. Kelly had a great line with really good TEs.
We rarely use a FB so the 3wr is what we use most anyway.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

On short yardage.. i could see us going with Wells and Davis lined up at FB and RB.. that seems like a very good setup for short yardage gains. Put in Andre Johnson and Derrick Armstrong.. and I think you have a recipe for touchdowns in the redzone.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
On short yardage.. i could see us going with Wells and Davis lined up at FB and RB.. that seems like a very good setup for short yardage gains. Put in Andre Johnson and Derrick Armstrong.. and I think you have a recipe for touchdowns in the redzone.
Why would you put Wells in on short yardage? DD runs harder than Wells and Norris blocks far, far harder than Wells. I would think 2nd or 3rd and 4-8 yds would be a better territory for that set where Wells could play the h-back versatility role.
Old 06-30-2005   #14
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Why would you put Wells in on short yardage? DD runs harder than Wells and Norris blocks far, far harder than Wells. I would think 2nd or 3rd and 4-8 yds would be a better territory for that set where Wells could play the h-back versatility role.
I'm with you on this. If the line remains like it was last season then I'd prefer Norris and DD being in the backfield running to the left side with Bruener next to Wand and Pitts.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I figure Wells and Davis cause they are both receiving threats, and it gives us options.

What is better, getting a block for an extra two yards, or tricking the defense and picking up 6-7 extra yards?

I can see what your saying.. 3rd and 1 we may be better putting Norris in there.. but id like to see how effective Wells and DD can be in short yardage situations.
Old 06-30-2005   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

oh.. and our Oline was superb at run blocking at the end of last season.. if that continues this season, Norris may not be quite so necessary.
Old 06-30-2005   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

As I said before, this 3 wide stuff won't work unless our oline is blocking well.
Old 06-30-2005   #18
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

If they get that timing route stuff down, then look out!!
Old 07-01-2005   #19
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

itd be nice if gaffney and bradford started working out to andre's standards. Can just imagine 3 Andres ::drule:: Anyways on reality, itd be nice to have a 3 wr set that pat mentioned: AJ, Brad, Math, but with both Wells and Davis in a split formation in the backfield, now that would be scary.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005   #20
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I figure Wells and Davis cause they are both receiving threats, and it gives us options.

What is better, getting a block for an extra two yards, or tricking the defense and picking up 6-7 extra yards?

I can see what your saying.. 3rd and 1 we may be better putting Norris in there.. but id like to see how effective Wells and DD can be in short yardage situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rpAn
but with both Wells and Davis in a split formation in the backfield, now that would be scary.
There is nothing scary about Jonathan Wells lining up in the backfield, and no one will be surprised if the Texans line him up at fullback and decide to throw instead of run.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read