Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 33 28.70%
No 82 71.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2014   #381
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 358082 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
They migrated to Texas in 1840, so during nationhood. They missed the war by 4 years. They came from Overton County, TN.

They were not in Texas for the War of Independence however many of them were horse soldiers with the Williamson County Grays during the Civil War. I also have a great great uncle that was a Colonel in the 5th Texas. He is on the Texas Gettysburg Monument at the Round Tops.

As I mentioned in the post above, it's why I grew up such a big Civil War buff. I always hated the fact that Texas in general today has really distanced itself from that war mainly due to PC stuff. The Texas Brigade had a lot of heroic moments during that war. They were Lee's favorite brigade. He called them the "Son's of the Alamo" and always bragged how the Texans would never run.

Edit: Sorry, thought that question was for me
Very cool. Love your knowledge of the details of the Texas Civil War units. Lee sure did appreciate them.

Thanks for clarifying even if the question wasn't directed to you. My family got here about 10 years prior to yours.

Lots of native Texans out there. In HS a teacher explored how fat back families went. There were only 2 of us with families past grandparents here. Kind of gives more meaning to the native part. (Which is not to take away from any Texan. We all got here as soon as we could. )
Old 08-24-2014   #382
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Very cool. Love your knowledge of the details of the Texas Civil War units. Lee sure did appreciate them.

Thanks for clarifying even if the question wasn't directed to you. My family got here about 10 years prior to yours.

Lots of native Texans out there. In HS a teacher explored how fat back families went. There were only 2 of us with families past grandparents here. Kind of gives more meaning to the native part. (Which is not to take away from any Texan. We all got here as soon as we could. )
not sure when my family came to US or Texas but we sure ate plenty of fatback but we called it salt pork.
Old 08-24-2014   #383
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 358082 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
not sure when my family came to US or Texas but we sure ate plenty of fatback but we called it salt pork.
Lol. Love posting from my patio with my phone but it does result in more errors.
Old 08-24-2014   #384
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lol. Love posting from my patio with my phone but it does result in more errors.
I think unintentional posting errors are often more interesting and at least more humorous. 23000 and here we go onward...
Old 08-25-2014   #385
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71957 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=infantrycak;2372567]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post

I asked about Texas not the US but ok. Part of that question was I knew Hookem and I (and I believe double barrel) have ties back that far actually pre-republic.

What's with the quotation mark immigrants?
Just a way to distinguish the immigrants to America from the native born ancestors. I admit using the quotation marks is a bit redundant, but I included them for emphasis, not to insert uncertainty.

I actually have a recollection of an ancestor in Orange (Madisonville at the time) in 1840, but I cannot find the documentation. It is possible that my ancestors arrived earlier, but a marriage license dated January 1840 is the oldest DOCUMENTED evidence I have. My relatives were early settlers of Rusk County and unfortunately heavily involved in one of the worst disasters in state history, the New London School explosion of 1937. I have inherited part of the old family farm about 2 miles east of the school.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #386
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I asked about Texas not the US but ok. Part of that question was I knew Hookem and I (and I believe double barrel) have ties back that far actually pre-republic.
yep. I've got relatives that fought at both the Alamo and San Jacinto. Their names are memorialized at both sites.

My direct lineage is all over the place, as my kin on my father's side appeared to constantly be moving for a few generations. My dad researched and found a great grandfather had arrived in Virginia before the Revolutionary War, and he ended up fighting in the war for the state militia. He missed being massacred by the British when he mustered out of his unit a month before the attack.
Old 08-26-2014   #387
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

If You're A Native American Who Supports The Washington Redskins, Does That Make You An Uncle Tom-Tom?

Link
Old 08-26-2014   #388
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59043 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yep. I've got relatives that fought at both the Alamo and San Jacinto. Their names are memorialized at both sites.

My direct lineage is all over the place, as my kin on my father's side appeared to constantly be moving for a few generations. My dad researched and found a great grandfather had arrived in Virginia before the Revolutionary War, and he ended up fighting in the war for the state militia. He missed being massacred by the British when he mustered out of his unit a month before the attack.
My family came to Tejas in 1832, several fought in San Jacinto. Grandfather fought with Sam Houston under Andrew Jackson in TN. Fours sons at San Jacinto, also memoralized and all have gravestones from State of Texas. Also had a Grandfather who was a Texas Ranger. Sons were first settlers in Lavaca, Caldwell, Hays, Guadalupe and Frio counties. First settlers in Wimberly, built a mill that made all the furniture for first state capitol. I have an Uncle who gave a first hand account of Battle of San Jacinto and the capture of Santa Anna. I'm a 7th Gen Texan (Texian). There are now 10 generations of Texans in Family. Family roots trace back to St James River 1607.

ACCOUNT OF THE BATTLE OF SAN JACINTO

http://books.google.com/books?id=Bhr...acinto&f=false
Old 08-27-2014   #389
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not offended and my great, great, great, great (maybe another great) grandfather was a Comanche Chief, one of the last...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanah_Parker

So on behalf of the Comanche Nation....it's cool...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #390
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141321 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Even BEFORE I knew one of my great grandmothers (on my mom's side) was of the Atakapa (Ishak)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atakapa I was with Yvette on this one.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"

Last edited by Dread-Head; 08-27-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #391
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

logo of an insurance company....how is this honoring Native Americans? IIRC there was nothing "Mutual" with the Anglo and Native Americans....

Old 08-27-2014   #392
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 35170 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
So on behalf of the Comanche Nation....it's cool...
No it isn't. The Comanche Nation is on record as to that fact. Further, if you had any cultural roots with the tribe, you'd know better than to speak for them (me) without permission from tribal elders.
Old 08-27-2014   #393
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141321 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

]

Whenever I see this I think of Marlon Perkins sending Jim Fowler to be eaten by crocs and tigers.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #394
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
No it isn't. The Comanche Nation is on record as to that fact. Further, if you had any cultural roots with the tribe, you'd know better than to speak for them (me) without permission from tribal elders.
pssst yeah right, you are not Comanche....

So self respecting Comanche would EVER be a Tack fan....

nice try...

Oh and I asked the elders, they said it's cool....

Old 08-27-2014   #395
Yvette
Veteran

Rep Power: 35170 Yvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respectedYvette is a quality contributor and well respected

Bull, I'm inviting you to join me at the Comanche Nation Fair in September. I'd like to introduce you to the Tribal Chairman (my cousin) and the Elders group, so they can introduce you to your heritage and culture
Old 08-27-2014   #396
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bull, I'm inviting you to join me at the Comanche Nation Fair in September. I'd like to introduce you to the Tribal Chairman (my cousin) and the Elders group, so they can introduce you to your heritage and culture
I hope he can make it and call them 'redskins' to their faces. Y'know, since he apparently believes that it's not disparaging and it's cool and all.
Old 08-27-2014   #397
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

It's sad that people are more worried about the name of a football than the living conditions on some of the reservations. It looks like Native American and everyone else would be more worried about the high alcoholism rates, high drop out rates, & high teen pregnancy rates among Native Americans on reservations. My great grandmother on my dad's side is Blackfoot and my great grandmother on my mother's side is Cherokee and French and I don't recall either of them have a problem with the Washington Redskins' name while they where alive. My grandfather that is half Blackfoot and my grandmother that part Cherokee didn't have a problem with it either. To me the Cleveland Indians mascot and Atalanta Braves mascot or more offensive than the Redskins name, or what about the state name Oklahoma. Oklahoma is based on Choctaw Indian words which translate as red people (okla meaning "people" and humma meaning "red"). Isn't that basically the same thing as redskin? Where's the outrage over that? I can't recall ever hearing anyone use redskin a derogatory term either.
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014   #398
Yvette
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull View Post
It's sad that people are more worried about the name of a football than the living conditions on some of the reservations.
Natives have always been concerned about those living conditions but no one cares enough to listen, who can do anything about it.
Old 08-27-2014   #399
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
would love to, where?

Old 08-27-2014   #400
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I hope he can make it and call them 'redskins' to their faces. Y'know, since he apparently believes that it's not disparaging and it's cool and all.
I don't think it's disparaging...I think there are far more things that happen on reservations that are more disparaging than a name....

but maybe the fair will change my mind. I always want to learn more...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read