Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 33 28.70%
No 82 71.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2014   #341
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I'd be cool with Senators. As a kid I grew up as a huge Ottawa Senators fan. Still am.

GO SENS GO!
All ready been taken. Back in the '20s, there was already a Washington Senators NFL team. Wasn't a name that had a disgusting connotation then.........but would definitely be one now.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #342
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Honest question (since I'm such a smartass at times I'll make sure you know this is a serious question)...was the term "redskin" ever an insult? A bunch of the terms that we are comparing the name to was/is clearly an insult. For example I've been called a chink and it was always used in a way to insult me, so I know that's an insult. When it comes to the term 'redskin' I've never heard anyone casually in person, on TV, or in print ever call anyone a 'redskin' in a derog manner. Are we just making this an insult (for a cause) when it was never really ever used as one?
I doubt you would want to go into a bar on some tribal lands and start calling people redskin any more than you would want to go to a bar in downtown Detroit dropping N-bombs.

If it's not a racial slur (which, come on, you're smarter than that Vinny) what nation or tribe does "Redskin" refer to? If it's not a slur, then why are a bunch of Native Americans making a big fuss about it? Is this what white people thought about different n-words in the 20's and 30's when black people were pretty much subjugated?
Old 06-27-2014   #343
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87623 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
If it's not a racial slur (which, come on, you're smarter than that Vinny) what nation or tribe does "Redskin" refer to? If it's not a slur, then why are a bunch of Native Americans making a big fuss about it?Is this what white people thought about different n-words in the 20's and 30's when black people were pretty much subjugated?
Just to get back up to speed, what are the latest percentages of NAs that think it's a racial slur again?

And Herv, regarding just changing so everyone will STFU about it, Dan Snyder might not ever learn how to be an owner of a football team, but he doesn't need lessons on how to dig in his heels.

Now, if everyone else will STFU about it, later on down the line, he might do it on his own initiative. But he's not going to cave in with a gun pointing to his head. He'll move the team before he re-names it under those circumstances.

Personally, I hope he does. That'll fix everyone's little red wagon, won't it?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #344
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I doubt you would want to go into a bar on some tribal lands and start calling people redskin any more than you would want to go to a bar in downtown Detroit dropping N-bombs.

If it's not a racial slur (which, come on, you're smarter than that Vinny) what nation or tribe does "Redskin" refer to? If it's not a slur, then why are a bunch of Native Americans making a big fuss about it? Is this what white people thought about different n-words in the 20's and 30's when black people were pretty much subjugated?
not exactly what I was saying but whatever. I said I've never heard anyone use that term to insult anyone. And I'm over 50 years old and have traveled all over the Americas. Now, I've heard the 'n-word' or the other terms many times but now I'm just repeating myself to clarify a straw man. And yes, I'm not that smart to boot.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #345
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 245168 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not exactly what I was saying but whatever. I said I've never heard anyone use that term to insult anyone. And I'm over 50 years old and have traveled all over the Americas. Now, I've heard the 'n-word' or the other terms many times but now I'm just repeating myself to clarify a straw man. And yes, I'm not that smart to boot.
Ever watch many 40s - 60s western movies?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #346
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a big western fan guy, but I'll take your word for it and I'll say for the third time that I just have never heard it used like that. I don't think that's all that unusual either. Just keep in mind that I don't have a history of making sheet up so you'll have to just take my word for it as well. I'm not pimping the name and not taking sides, but it seems one side of this debate sure is trying hard to make the Redskins name sound mean-spirited all of a sudden. I've been posting here for a decade and this is the first time I've seen this come up as an issue with some of you guys...so why so pantiesinawaddy now? Is this just a way to say fu to Dan Snyder or have you guys just kept a hat on it since you were too emotional (I bet Dick Vermeil had a breakdown expressing his thoughts on this) to comment about it before the story 'came out of the closet' so to speak?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #347
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104942 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if white people started saying white or other races started calling us white as an insult. I mean, NAs did call themselves "red men" and called us "white men". They're both colors.
Old 06-27-2014   #348
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 67743 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't read all 18 pages so if this has been addressed earlier, sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma

Quote:
Oklahoma
Quote:
The state's name is derived from the Choctaw words okla and humma, meaning "red people".
Are we renaming Oklahoma, if so I have some choice suggestions.

Big picture: I don't have strong feelings either way, I would probably change the name if I owned the team but I think it is BS when the government gets involved.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #349
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 94266 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Well while we are being politically correct, shouldn't we change the name of the Apache Helicopter, or Tomahawk missiles? I mean isn't that stereotyping the Natives as War Like savages? Aren't these also slurs?

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #350
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
All ready been taken. Back in the '20s, there was already a Washington Senators NFL team. Wasn't a name that had a disgusting connotation then.........but would definitely be one now.
Huh. Learn something new every day... I think in case of name change a government/patriotic theme is the best way to go.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #351
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104942 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just follow in the tradition of the Texans' name.

The Washington Georges
Old 06-28-2014   #352
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 245168 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not a big western fan guy, but I'll take your word for it and I'll say for the third time that I just have never heard it used like that. I don't think that's all that unusual either. Just keep in mind that I don't have a history of making sheet up so you'll have to just take my word for it as well. I'm not pimping the name and not taking sides, but it seems one side of this debate sure is trying hard to make the Redskins name sound mean-spirited all of a sudden. I've been posting here for a decade and this is the first time I've seen this come up as an issue with some of you guys...so why so pantiesinawaddy now? Is this just a way to say fu to Dan Snyder or have you guys just kept a hat on it since you were too emotional (I bet Dick Vermeil had a breakdown expressing his thoughts on this) to comment about it before the story 'came out of the closet' so to speak?
That explains it right there. No biggie.
And it wasn't that I didn't believe you, I was just providing someplace you could research if you were so inclined.

As far as the term "redskin" is concerned it's never really been complimentary, no more than Jap or Chink or Kraut has been. Its not exactly cussin' but those are terms good manners (as PC used to be known) dictated one didn't use in polite conversation.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #353
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 273484 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, westerns are probably the only place most Americans might hear Redskin used in a negative way. I imagine most Americans don't live in close proximity to Native American reservations so for most of us "The Washington Redskins" is probably the only use of the word we're familiar with.

Even in an old western I can watch that and not connect with it because I understand the era being portrayed and I know that that's over a hundred years ago. How people speak in period films doesn't really mean much to me.

I can find examples of people using "******", "spic", "******", and "chink" (for example) in an abusive manner (in fact for all but the first one I have a hard time finding anyone using them for anything other than in an abusive manner) but it's not easy to find examples of anyone using Redskin in an abusive manner. I find plenty of Native Americans (now) saying that it's offensive but examples of people being called "Redskin" are rare.

I think it's much ado about nothing but if it makes somebody somewhere feel better then by all means the Washington franchise should make the change, sell all new gear to their fans, and put it behind them while drinking Champagne and counting all the new money they're going to make.

Interesting that "The N word" along with a common word used to describe homosexuals, "The F word" are both blocked but apparently "spic" and "chink" are fair game.
Old 06-28-2014   #354
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 41977 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
call 'em the wizards. or the senators. or the house of representativeses.
I vote The Washington Filibusters
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #355
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87623 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
I vote The Washington Filibusters
I think they oughta call em the Washington Enlightened Thinkers.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #356
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 101731 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
Just follow in the tradition of the Texans' name.

The Washington Georges
Washington Dentures or Wooden Teeth
Washington Stoners (GW smoked pot)
Washington Hemp

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #357
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...dskins-bonanza
Quote:
Why would a capitalist such as Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder oppose changing his team's name when he could make a ton of money from merchandise sales adorned with the new brand?

The quick answer: Because he probably can't, at least not in the short term. A poke through the NFL's labyrinth of financial rules and interviews with experts revealed two important factors. First, a chunk of that revenue would be shared with 30 other teams. Second, the immediate costs connected with a rebrand could extend into "the millions," according to one analyst.

Let's consider each issue separately...
Old 06-30-2014   #358
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 273484 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I'd be surprised if the league couldn't chip in to offset the expense of changing the name. That's particularly true if the league itself wanted it changed. Since the expectation is that they'll all share any surge in sales brought on by a name/colors change it's only fair that they all kick in a little bit for the upfront expenses that would involve.
Old 07-01-2014   #359
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 75036 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Watch some old 40s/50s/60s era westerns; Redskin in a western had the same nasty, negative connotation and vibe that Jap or Kraut (sp?) did in WWI/WWII movies. Heard it ALL the time in those flicks.
The WORD was not nasty, the people were nasty AND our enemies at that time! You will notice that most of the offensive words are just contractions of the longer scientific names. Is it nasty and offensive to say hot dog instead of frankfurter? No! it's just a convenience. Any nastiness comes from intentionally directing UNTRUE characteristics on the group, rather than focusing on the nastiness of individuals in that group.

But the team names were a counterpoint to those generalizations and I challenge anybody to find a team who intentionally chooses something they despise for a team name.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #360
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The WORD was not nasty, the people were nasty AND our enemies at that time!

I challenge anybody to find a team who intentionally chooses something they despise for a team name.
Yes, no one ever despises their "nasty" enemies.

Just like those "nasty" enemy Redskins, Pirates and Buccaneers were never despised and were looked up to by everyone for being such honorable men. I am sure the people in the Carolinas also love and look forward to hurricanes so much that they named their NHL team after that enjoyable weather phenomenon.

Also I am quite sure no one in New Jersey despises the Devil since he is such an honorable creature. Now technically the team was named after the legendary "New Jersey Devil" who supposedly terrorized the residents of New Jersey in the 1800's however must have won the affection of the citizens there since they named their NHL team after him.

Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read