Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 32 28.07%
No 82 71.93%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2014   #221
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup, and the whining about PC has gotten ridiculous.
It's also usually accompanied by the equally ridiculous "good ole days" hand wringing.
Old 06-10-2014   #222
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
It's also usually accompanied by the equally ridiculous "good ole days" hand wringing.
"Back in the good ol' days you people knew better than to be offended."
Old 06-10-2014   #223
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o1KNpOFudOY

I saw this is airing tonight in many major cities during the NBA Finals.

Edit, didn't open up that previous link with this.

Anyway, I have made my opinion known on this. If Redskins is OK then the Confederate flag should be OK and schools like Ole Miss, Baytown Lee, etc should bring it back because it's meant to honor southern heritage and those men who lost their lives defending their homes during the War Between the States.

Again this is if we shouldn't care that a race of people sees it another way because I personally am not offended by the Confederate flag.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #224
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post

Anyway, I have made my opinion known on this. If Redskins is OK then the Confederate flag should be OK and schools like Ole Miss, Baytown Lee, etc should bring it back because it's meant to honor southern heritage and those men who lost their lives defending their homes during the War Between the States.

Again this is if we shouldn't care that a race of people sees it another way because who are they to be offended?
Have to give them credit, very well done. Too long IMO but good ad.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #225
Byrds Man
Rookie

Great commercial! Sums it up very well.
BTW full disclosure: my ancestry includes Shawnee.
Byrds Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #226
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I like being male and white. It makes it so much easier to judge other folks shortcomings since I obviously don't have any.
did you just say being Native American is a short coming?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #227
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
did you just say being Native American is a short coming?
No, no... not at all.
Thorn said he can readily spot other folks' shortcomings since he's had so many years of experience dealing with all those he has

...or words to that effect....

for the record, so can I. And for the same reason(s).
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2014   #228
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
No, no... not at all.
Thorn said he can readily spot other folks' shortcomings since he's had so many years of experience dealing with all those he has

...or words to that effect....
But Thorn says he has NO shortcomings. He's always right and we're always wrong!

Just messing with ya, Thorn.
Old 06-11-2014   #229
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I am as perfect as any alien being from another planet can be. And I'm retired as of this Friday.

I will now be able to sit at home, smoking pot, and ponder upon my perfection all day long. And reflect upon other's faults as well.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #230
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34647 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post

Again this is if we shouldn't care that a race of people sees it another way because I personally am not offended by the Confederate flag.
The Confederate flag should be ok.

The Civil War wasn't fought over slavery, although the only reason that the slave owner himself Abe Lincoln made the Emancipation Proclamation was to win it. Those colors on that flag have nothing to do with racism or slavery.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #231
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post

The Civil War wasn't fought over slavery, although the only reason that the slave owner himself Abe Lincoln made the Emancipation Proclamation was to win it. Those colors on that flag have nothing to do with racism or slavery.
One of the two brain cells you have left is shorting out. I'd get that checked if I was you.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #232
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76298 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I'm ashamed to admit

With all the talk of the Redskins changing their name, and me being born and raised in the D.C. area in a family full of 'Skins fans, I bought some Redskin gear today. The first time ever! And while I agree the name is racist, I apparently felt a greater need to buy some of their gear before Snyder is made to change the name. I'll be storing it next to my 50th Anniversary T-Shirts for the Raiders. Maybe one day they'll go along with my Washington Senator and Seattle Pilot baseball cards.
Old 06-11-2014   #233
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I am as perfect as any alien being from another planet can be. And I'm retired as of this Friday.

I will now be able to sit at home, smoking pot, and ponder upon my perfection all day long. And reflect upon other's faults as well.
You're not going back home?

The plans for planetary rendezvous fell out of your pocket...

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #234
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

ThinkProgress ‏@thinkprogress
Quote:
U.S. Patent Office cancels trademark for Redskins because the name is “disparaging to Native Americans” http://thkpr.gs/1r6Y9ps

Mina Kimes ‏@minakimes
Quote:
Good primer on the Redskins trademark battle (and what might happen next) http://usat.ly/SfYolW
MarkMaske ‏@MarkMaske
Quote:
Daniel Snyder declined to comment on the ruling in the Redskins name case as he left the practice field today at the team's mincamp.

Bruce Allen when asked whether the Redskins can continue to use their name: "Did you read it?... We're fine. We're fine."
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Quote:
#Redskins trademark attorney Bob Raskopf said they’’ll appeal the ruling. “We are confident we will prevail once again

#Redskins: “Evidence in the current claim is virtually identical to the evidence a federal judge decided was insufficient more 10 years ago”

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-18-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #235
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post

Most people don't know what the confederate flag looked like. By "Confederate Flag" I mean the one that flew over Richmond not the one that was on the battle field with Lee's army of Northern Virginia. The FORMER in my opinion IS a symbol of racism and oppression the later is merely the banner of some guys who had their asses handed to them in this nation's bloodiest conflict. It can be seen as a symbol for those whose families fought for that cause and that is their their right; however, the fact that the Ku Klux Klan adopted the flag is why so many people of color loathe it.

The 3/5th compromise effectively said that slave states received congressional representation based on the number of slaves one could purchase. In other words a wealthy man with lots of land could BUY a large number of people and 3/5ths of that number would be added into his state's census and he would have in fact BOUGHT a congressional seat.
We can quibble about the balance of power and how at the end of the day it was industrialists versus agrarians but the fact of the matter remains, agrarians could PURCHASE human beigns to bolster their representation in congress against the industrialists and that was a HUGE bone of contention. Even if the North didn't make ANY gestures towards getting rid of slavery (which they did at the end of the war out of PURE SPITE) had they merely stopped awarding congressional representation based on slave populations the war would have happened anyway.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #236
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
ThinkProgress ‏@thinkprogress
U.S. Patent Office cancels trademark for Redskins because the name is “disparaging to Native Americans” http://thkpr.gs/1r6Y9ps

Mina Kimes ‏@minakimes
Hmm - So, Redskins is out but these are in? http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield

Quote:
HILLBILLY DISTILLERY

FIGGAS OVER NIGGAS

TROPHY ***** (beatch)

RUG MUNCHER

REDNECKPECKERWOOD

ROUNDEYES

AUTHENTIC WHITE TRASH

KRAUT KAP

DAGO SWAGG
Nope, none of these could possibly offend.
Old 06-18-2014   #237
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Hmm - So, Redskins is out but these are in? http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield

I don't like the name but I agree that the PTO should not show inconsistency if it rules this way. Also leery of gov't action to influence a name change but I'm also wondering if there are any lawyers willing to enlighten (Cak?) what effect this would have on the team name.
Old 06-18-2014   #238
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs;2351769[COLOR
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet #Redskins trademark attorney Bob Raskopf said they’’ll appeal the ruling. “We are confident we will prevail once again”
If they appeal, is it legal to sell bootleg merchandise while the process is going on?
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #239
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63030 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

That link is broken.

Some of those do not yet have trademarks, by the way. They are pending approval. And that's not a guarantee. The status for Figgas over Niggas is Non Final Action -- Mailed. This means the examiner has found issues with the application and outlining them in written form. Such issues can range from simple changes to the application to outright refusals for various reasons.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #240
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
That link is broken.

Some of those do not yet have trademarks, by the way. They are pending approval. And that's not a guarantee. The status for Figgas over Niggas is Non Final Action -- Mailed. This means the examiner has found issues with the application and outlining them in written form. Such issues can range from simple changes to the application to outright refusals for various reasons.
Meh - Shows live on the Patent Office Site - that's what I went with. If any of them are approved and not yet revoked, there's a double-standard in play.

Amusingly, I went back and determined that REDNECKPECKERWOOD is registered to someone in the Woodlands.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read