Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 31 29.52%
No 74 70.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2014   #201
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
The London Redskins, LOL.
No, I'm thinking that it would come as a response to being forced by the league and the government to change the name. Sort of a "Fine, no more Redskins. No more Washington D.C. either" approach.

I know it would never happen. I just think it would serve them right (The government, not the fans)
Old 05-27-2014   #202
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
So we should just forget the entire past,
I think you're the one advocating forgetting the entire past by saying Redskins is acceptable...

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
NCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #203
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Those who are offended need to get a life and get over it. You know I feel that way Dread so no point in going around on that again. Still, I think he should go ahead and change it even though I completely think the push to make him do it is BS. It's not worth the fight from a business perspective (IMO) and I fully expect the NFL to eventually convince him to go along. Besides who doesn't want to sell new merchandise to fans while still reserving the right to sell them "throwback" merchandise as well? It's a win-win for the team and the league if they cave in.

Having said that I tend to be a really crappy loser sometimes and if I were Snyder I'd begin shopping my team around the country. Make me change the name and I'll leave it and the city behind. There are still cities without a team and there's always London. I don't care if I'm under lease (teams have broken leases before) or whatever. I'll start over somewhere else and politicians in Washington can sign up for Sunday Ticket if they want to play that game. Trucks in the middle of the night sounds like a plan to me.

I'd like to see him do it just to see how Washington answers that. Call it morbid curiosity on my part. I've never rooted for a team to move but that team in this circumstance would be really fascinating to watch relocate.
Again, I don't think Congress should have the right to tell the man to change the name. I don't think the NFL should be able to FORCE them to do so. I DO however think they need to change it, but it should be THEIR choices. If they want to use a racial slur as their team name that is their right, but I as someone who is a descendant of blacks and indians have the right to be offended, NOT to watch their games, NOT to purchase their merchandise or to say anything complimentary of Snyder.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #204
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There’s a lot of controversy over whether Dietz was actually a Native American. Witten’s article doesn’t resolve that.

But it does refute the team’s contention that the name was selected to celebrate Dietz.

The proof is in a July 6, 1933, edition of the Hartford Courant, which Witten unearthed after the sports Web site MMQB tipped him off about it.

The edition includes a short Associated Press dispatch quoting Marshall saying: “The fact that we have in our head coach, Lone Star Dietz, an Indian, together with several Indian players, has not, as may be suspected, inspired me to select the name Redskins.”

Instead, Marshall explains, he gave up “Braves” to avoid confusion with a Boston professional baseball team of the same name. He apparently picked the Redskins name so he could keep the existing Native American logo.
Marshall himself says he changed the team name not to honor the coach, but to differentiate the brand.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...bcf_story.html
Dan B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #205
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

#RedskinsPride Twitter campaign not producing the results the Redskins were hoping for...

Link (CBS Sports)
Link2 (ESPN)

Quote:
Washington Redskins @Redskins Follow
Tweet @SenatorReid to show your #RedskinsPride and tell him what the team means to you.
1:54 PM - 29 May 2014
Some responses....
Quote:
steve coy @stevecoy Follow .@Redskins boy, good thing the systematic slaughter of indigenous people was managed better than this twitter account! #redskinspride
Quote:
Ang K @ankhela Follow
So great watching the complete failure of #RedskinsPride. Dumbest PR move in a long time. Both that & #RedskinPride. Dumb team. #GoGiants
4:42 PM - 29 May 2014
I think Ang might be a bit biased against the Redskins anyway

Quote:
Brandon Russell @brandon_russell Follow What a clown show. I hate my team. RT “@Redskins: Tweet @SenatorReid to show your #RedskinsPride and tell him what the team means to you.”
2:15 PM - 29 May 2014
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #206
Byrds Man
Rookie

If I were walking down the street and saw a native american on the other side of the street and yelled " Hey redskin! " that would be a racial slur. But if I yell the same thing in a football stadium it's OK? That makes no sense and I sincerely hope that Mr. Snyder does the right thing and let's the Washington fans pick a new name for the team. For those who are using history and tradition as an excuse for keeping the current name, I would respectfully assert that there are some traditions that need to be changed.
Byrds Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #207
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I really could care less about him changing the name. I hope that he doesn't, because I know that team as the Redskins. I'ver never taken an offensive connotation to it or thought of the name as being something to offend anyone. Actually more as a name to honor the mystique of native Americans. It's a shame that people can't see it that way. I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong, but I'm entitled to that opinion just like anyone else is. Snyder isn't aiming to offend any groups and neither has any upper level VP in that front office. It's always about context, but no one ever seems to care about context. Either way, I hope that the name never changes.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2014   #208
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If everyone who ever did anything in the name of "political correctness" were executed, the world would be a much better place. But, guess that isn't the PC way to think ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #209
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...11f_story.html

-sigh- They should just start changing their names to other "offensive" things at this point. But just slightly so people still know they were the Redskins.

Like:
Washington RedWoods (to also offend the California people)
Washington Apple Skins
Washington Red Epidermises
Washington Pink Skins (during October, not as offensive)
Washington Corrupt Politicians
Washington Engines (think about it)

I'll stop before I actually do offend someone, but you get the idea
Old 06-10-2014   #210
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I like being male and white. It makes it so much easier to judge other folks shortcomings since I obviously don't have any.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #211
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
If everyone who ever did anything in the name of "political correctness" were executed, the world would be a much better place. But, guess that isn't the PC way to think ...
Not really.

What is called political correctness used to be just plain old, everyday, good manners and common decency. I mean it was just good manners to avoid insulting folks you don't even know for no good reason.

At least that's the way I was raised.

Maybe you were raised differently.
Old 06-10-2014   #212
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I like being male and white. It makes it so much easier to judge other folks shortcomings since I obviously don't have any.
You're wrong.
Just like these folks.

Old 06-10-2014   #213
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...11f_story.html

-sigh- They should just start changing their names to other "offensive" things at this point. But just slightly so people still know they were the Redskins.

Like:
Washington Apple Skins

I'll stop before I actually do offend someone, but you get the idea
I just cant believe they are gonna run that commercial, lame.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #214
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You're wrong.
Just like these folks.

* heavy sigh *

I should learn to be more direct with my criticism I guess, and not so nebulous.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #215
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 292438 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Washington Apple Skins
Easiest solution:

And their fans would just keep on keeping on:

Old 06-10-2014   #216
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not really.

What is called political correctness used to be just plain old, everyday, good manners and common decency. I mean it was just good manners to avoid insulting folks you don't even know for no good reason.

To intentionally insult someone is one thing. But to be afraid to say anything at all, or ever voice an opinion, because you "might" insult someone ... that is what we have become. Cant stand up for yourself, cant disagree, just go along with everyone else or feel the wrath of the masses.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #217
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To intentionally insult someone is one thing. But to be afraid to say anything at all, or ever voice an opinion, because you "might" insult someone ... that is what we have become. Cant stand up for yourself, cant disagree, just go along with everyone else or feel the wrath of the masses.
Exactly!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #218
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Well I doubt PC really means a person cannot stand up for themselves. If I called you - or anyone else - something they really objected to, I doubt that you've hesitate for a moment in getting me straight.

We need to grow up out of the "can't disagree" thing. We'll never progress as a civilization if we can't voice and work through our differences. And if someone or some group respectfully asks "Hey I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't call me that". Why is that so hard to do?
Old 06-10-2014   #219
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 292438 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Old 06-10-2014   #220
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not really.

Yup, and the whining about PC has gotten ridiculous.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read