Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes 31 29.52%
No 74 70.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2014   #181
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
50 didn't.
here's the letter with sigs

LINK
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #182
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

So Washington plans on using the the tax exemption as a weapon against their enemies again? This time they aren't even trying to hide it.

If I was the N.F.L. I'd stand my ground and force them to do that. I'd love to see D.C. step in that big pile of a P.R. nightmare.

I wouldn't have a problem if they seriously considered changing their tax status, because they genuinely believed they shouldn't have a tax exemption, but by openly saying that your driving motive for changing their entire tax status is because you don't agree with one of their club's names is complete bull****, a blatant misuse of power, and targeting a group, because of a difference of views. (Hmm, where have we seen this before?) I hope to god the NFL holds their ground and forces congress' hand on that bluff.. because I'd love to see how that fiasco would end up... They'll be popping the top off a huge can of worms. So the NFL does have a leg to stand on (They have high priced lawyers too), whether they use it or not is a different story.

With this threat, congress/government just comes off looking more devious, untrustworthy, and incompetent... especially with the much more pressing issues facing this country that they elect to ignore. The N.F.L. shouldn't let them off the hook by cowering down to their demands. Force these morons to continue to show their ass.. I'm tired of people giving in to political correctness.. it's destroying this country
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #183
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Wow. Homeboy was comparing apples and spetic tanks.
How so? What he said was 100% correct as teams across the nation at lower levels have already changed names like "Rebels, warriors, chiefs, Indians" ect.. since all of this debate started. It's getting plumb dumb ridiculous.
Old 05-24-2014   #184
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
here's the letter with sigs

LINK
Did Cantwell circulate a petition to change her own high school's mascot... ?
Quote:
Senator Maria Cantwell of Washington state, recently circulated a letter among her fellow Democrats demanding that the Washington Redskins change their name for being offensive and disrespectful to Native Americans.
Cantwell told the Washington Post she was appalled... the presentation of Washington’s team was “just so shocking to me,” and that the Redskins were offering “a caricature of a team that is not just respected by Indian Country,” she told the paper.

Cantwell might have been shocked earlier in life. Growing up in Indianapolis, Cantwell attended Emmerich Manual High School...its mascot is the “Redskins.”
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #185
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

im not surprised at all at the poll results.

"YEAAA!!!! SCREW NOT BEING RACIST AND BEING POLITICALLY CORRECT!!! I WANT THE RIGHT TO BE AN IGNORANT BIGOT STOP ATTACKING MY FREEDOM!!!"

Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #186
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how the NFL wants the public to pay for their palaces, wants to pay $0 in taxes, but doesn't want the public telling them what to do. It's like a teenager living rent free in their parent's house and throwing a fit because Mom told them they can't wear a shirt with curse words on it to dinner.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #187
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
I love how the NFL wants the public to pay for their palaces, wants to pay $0 in taxes, but doesn't want the public telling them what to do. It's like a teenager living rent free in their parent's house and throwing a fit because Mom told them they can't wear a shirt with curse words on it to dinner.
The public isn't telling the Redskins what to do... the elected officials who were in bed with the league and helped them sell the local citizen on paying to build those stadiums, also profited off of the revenue and jobs those stadiums brought to their cities/states are. So unless there is a lot of incest going on in your metaphor it doesn't really fit.

On the grand scheme of things, average joe really doesn't give a crap either way. Hell polls show that native americans really don't give a crap.. who does give a damn though is the grandstanding politicians who'll use every opportunity to get their face in front of a camera and their name out in the media. Especially on issues like this. This didn't become a big ordeal until it was "politicized"
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2014   #188
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
im not surprised at all at the poll results.

"YEAAA!!!! SCREW NOT BEING RACIST AND BEING POLITICALLY CORRECT!!! I WANT THE RIGHT TO BE AN IGNORANT BIGOT STOP ATTACKING MY FREEDOM!!!"

So native Americans are racist against.... native Americans?

Are maybe you actually believe that damn near 80% of the posters who post on this board are racist and ignorant bigots? If you actually believe that well.. smdh.

BTW, the poll results don't surprise me either. If only congress put this much effort into more pressing matters, maybe we wouldn't be up **** creek right now with a boat load of scandals popping up each week. This whole outrage by them is nothing, but a attempt to distract people from their own incompetence and failures up on the hill. Kind of like "don't look here... look over here, Redskins are bad, yeah let's focus on that".
Old 05-24-2014   #189
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
So native Americans are racist against.... native Americans?

Are maybe you actually believe that damn near 80% of the posters who post on this board are racist and ignorant bigots? If you actually believe that well.. smdh.

BTW, the poll results don't surprise me either. If only congress put this much effort into more pressing matters, maybe we wouldn't be up **** creek right now with a boat load of scandals popping up each week. This whole outrage by them is nothing, but a attempt to distract people from their own incompetence and failures up on the hill. Kind of like "don't look here... look over here, Redskins are bad, yeah let's focus on that".

aaand who is in control of congress?

the same kind of trying to pin every problem the government is having on obama. the same kind of people you defended that is destroying the state of texas with all the fracking and refusal to acknowledge climate change.

congrats.
Lord Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014   #190
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The public isn't telling the Redskins what to do... the elected officials who were in bed with the league and helped them sell the local citizen on paying to build those stadiums, also profited off of the revenue and jobs those stadiums brought to their cities/states are. So unless there is a lot of incest going on in your metaphor it doesn't really fit.

On the grand scheme of things, average joe really doesn't give a crap either way. Hell polls show that native americans really don't give a crap.. who does give a damn though is the grandstanding politicians who'll use every opportunity to get their face in front of a camera and their name out in the media. Especially on issues like this. This didn't become a big ordeal until it was "politicized"
The Redskins weren't integrated until the issue became "politicized." Sometimes that's what it takes. The average joe really didn't give a crap that the team refused to hire black players into the 1960's. But the politicians did.
Old 05-24-2014   #191
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The Redskins weren't integrated until the issue became "politicized." Sometimes that's what it takes. The average joe really didn't give a crap that the team refused to hire black players into the 1960's. But the politicians did.
The people did.. Did you miss the entire civil rights movement (which wasn't started by politicians) or are you just trying to rewrite history here?
Old 05-24-2014   #192
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The people did.. Did you miss the entire American Indian movement (which wasn't started by politicians) or are you just trying to rewrite history here?
fify
Old 05-24-2014   #193
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
aaand who is in control of congress?

the same kind of trying to pin every problem the government is having on obama. the same kind of people you defended that is destroying the state of texas with all the fracking and refusal to acknowledge climate change.

congrats.
Not the people, seeing how as soon as these buffoons are elected they do whatever the hell they want to do. If you really think "the people" are in control of congress then you need to wake up.

Also before you throw bull**** accusations like that around.. please tell us where people are trying to pin every problem the government is having on Obama.. You confuse people blaming the man for everything wrong with simply expecting the man at the top to take control and do something about it.. there's a difference.

And please tells us how Texas is being destroyed while you're at it.. hold on, let me get my popcorn, I have to hear this.
Old 05-24-2014   #194
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Despite your best efforts to get me to follow you chasing after windmills, I'm not going to try to defend politicians. That's not the point. It's a shiny bauble -- a distraction. I'll accept your POV for argument's sake. All of DC is corrupt and does nothing to represent the people that elect them.

The NFL still chooses to accept benefits from them. When you lie down with dogs you get fleas.
Old 05-24-2014   #195
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
fify
I come from Native American (not American Indian) descent.. I've made that known before on this board.. I could give a crap less what a damn football team calls itself. My skin isn't that thin.

So can many other Native Americans.. hence why the polls show the majority of Native Americans could care less. Please stop confusing a "movement" with political grandstanding that is trying to gain political points off the exploitation ofF the past "hardships" of Native Americans by pretending that they "care" and that is their only motive. Frankly their actions are becoming more insulting.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-25-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-24-2014   #196
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I come from Native American (not American Indian) descent.. I've made that known before on this board.. I could give a crap less what a damn football team calls itself. My skin isn't that thin.

So can many other Native Americans.. hence why the polls show the majority of Native Americans could care less. Please stop confusing a "movement" with political grandstanding that is trying to gain political points off the exploitation of the past "hardships" of Native Americans by pretending that they "care" and that is their only motive. Frankly their actions are becoming more insulting.
You ever consider that's because over half the people actually living on an Indian Reservation don't have phone service?

Quote:
Modern telecommunications are also extremely lacking. More than half of households on reservations do not have phone service, compared with five percent nationally, and nine percent among nonmetropolitan areas.
Old 05-24-2014   #197
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You ever consider that's because over half the people actually living on an Indian Reservation don't have phone service?
And only 1/3 of the people lives on those reservations..and near a half of that 1/3 can express their opinion, so a vast majority has the ability to participate in the poll.

But I'm glad you brought this up.. Maybe if congress truly cared and actualy gave a damn about the plight of the Native Americans they would tackle the real issues facing them, but they won't.
the real issues isn't as provocative and doesn't garnish near the headlines as going after a member of a multibillion dollar enterprise over what their team name is does it? It's flat out patronizing.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-25-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2014   #198
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
And only 1/3 lives on those reservations..and near a half of that 1/3 can express their opinion, so a vast majority has the ability to participate in the poll.

But I'm glad you brought this up.. Maybe if congress truly cared about the plight of the Native Americans they would tackle the real issues facing them, but that isn't as provocative and doesn't garnish near the headlines as going after a member of a multibillion dollar enterprise over what their team name is does it? It's flat out patronizing.
Until those dastardly Senators politicized the issue, the multibillion dollar Redskins never helped those tribes tackle the real issues facing them either.

I honestly don't know what your point is. Is it that the Redskins name shouldn't be changed because Congress is in bed with the NFL? The two have nothing to do with each other.

Is it that most people don't care about the issue, so nothing should be done about it? Most people don't care about Benghazi either. Shoukl we ignore that?

I think there is a clear and obvious reason why many find the name "Redskins" offensive. It doesn't matter if it's the majority or not. I don't think a team would be called that today. With so many reasons to change the name, if the only reason you have to hold on to a name is "because the name wasn't offensive in 1937" I don't think you have much of a reason.
Old 05-24-2014   #199
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Until those dastardly Senators politicized the issue, the multibillion dollar Redskins never helped those tribes tackle the real issues facing them either.
Yeah, which is why it seems more like extortion rather than true charity.. So how should I feel about that? It's not Daniel Snyder's job to solve the problem.

Quote:
I honestly don't know what your point is. Is it that the Redskins name shouldn't be changed because Congress is in bed with the NFL? The two have nothing to do with each other.
No, my point is.. it wasn't even a main issue until Congress made it one and the timing that they chose to do so seems self serving. The only reason why I brought up how both were bed partners was because you acted like only one party was benefiting from the relationship.

Quote:
Is it that most people don't care about the issue, so nothing should be done about it? Most people don't care about Benghazi either. Shoukl we ignore that?
Not true at all.. Plenty of people care about Benghazi.. it's just hard to keep focus on a issue when you're saturated by other scandals which what seems to be happening on a monthly basis now.

Here's a article from the New Yorker, just put out a couple of weeks ago..

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...ing-first.html

That line of thinking would be like saying a year from now, people don't care about the VA scandal. Fast and Furious, Benghazi, IRS, Obama Care, and now the VA scandal.. people cared. There was simply nothing done about it. In those cases unlike this one.. Congress didn't care to get to the bottom of it or get real answers. (we'll see how this VA scandal goes), but for some reason they'll now create this issue to care about. Why is that?

Quote:
I think there is a clear and obvious reason why many find the name "Redskins" offensive. It doesn't matter if it's the majority or not. I don't think a team would be called that today. With so many reasons to change the name, if the only reason you have to hold on to a name is "because the name wasn't offensive in 1937" I don't think you have much of a reason.
So we should just forget the entire past, because the small minority is throwing a fit? Yes I agree with you that a team would never be called that today, but I disagree with you that we should right every wrong simply because it offends the small minority. That is what is wrong with progressives. If they had it their way the entire world would be wrapped with bubble wrap and everybody would be eating their food with sporks with everybody having the right to "not be offended". (that's a world I don't want to live in).

If the NFL wants to keep that the name of one of their teams and look ignorant to others, then so be it.. they should be free to do so.. without being forced to change by dumbass politicians. Standing up for free speech and liberties isn't just standing up for the rights of those you agree with, but standing up for the same liberties of all people.. even those you disagree with.

Let the paying customer decide and force the name change. If people were so offended, they would cancel their season tickets and stop buying merchandise, players would refuse to play for them.. the majority of Native Americans would be asking for a change, and then the Redskins would have to change their name.. it's that simple. It isn't something that should be decided upon and ordered down by members of congress.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-24-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2014   #200
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How so? What he said was 100% correct as teams across the nation at lower levels have already changed names like "Rebels, warriors, chiefs, Indians" ect.. since all of this debate started. It's getting plumb dumb ridiculous.
The original owner was a complete a-hole and a racist and the name of his team IS a racial slur. I think the man should have the right to call his team WHATEVER he chooses and congress shouldn't abridge that; HOWEVER, whether or not they change the name is NOT the issue to me. What pisses ME off is the fact that the organization is so oblivious to those who ARE offended and telling them that they're NOT.

The article sited says that people should be offended by teams with names like Raiders, Pirates and Buccaneers because Pirates were murderers and rapists. Yeah...they were. Calling someone a murderer or a rapist ISN'T the same as calling someone a racial slur. Hence apples and septic tanks. If someone called a team the Cleveland Killers I wouldn't lose any sleep.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read