Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Mandatory Minicamp 6/11-13

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley

3 days of #Texans [mandatory] minicamp start today. Then break until end of July for training camp. Have any questions you'd want me to birddog for you?

Quote:
From a practice rules standpoint, mandatory minicamps are much like organized team practice activities (OTAs). In short, these are workouts, not training-camp practices or games.

There will be no contact work (e.g., live blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run) or use of pads (helmets permitted) at minicamps, Article 22, Section Five of the CBA states.

Teams can conduct two-a-days twice in three days of minicamps. One of the practices must be a walk-through lasting a maximum of 60 minutes. The other, more-involved session cant exceed 2.5 hours. All told, a players work day cannot exceed 10 hours.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Mandatory Minicamp 6/11-13

Well...

Dobbins showed up today and worked out on the field with the young guys.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
RT @JPalmerCSN: "If you ask my trainers, you ask my doctor, they can't believe where I'm at right now." - #Texans Ed Reed about his recovery

OTAs have 1st team vets. Minicamp doesn't. Today hats, not full speed. Catching young guys up. #Texans RT @mayj6: dif in minicamp and otas?

@HoustonTexans minicamp: FWIW, Tim Dobbins looks in great condition. So mostly, no story, move along now, nothing to see here

@HoustonTexans minicamp: Biggest beneficiary of extra rookie reps? Maybe Quessenberry. Kubiak was positive about his work at RT.

@HoustonTexans minicamp: Kubiak described Foster/D Brown as doing good, said good things about Posey doing rehab on side field.

Best news for #Texans fans? Ed Reed characterized his labrum tear as slight compared to previous hip surgery he said was much more involved

Today's news RT @taniaganguli: Reed said he thinks this might have happened when "a certain quarterback" (Tom Brady) kicked him in playoffs[laughing]

The Ed Reed "goal" is NYC. His general response was he won't have good sense of timetable for return until camp. #Texans

Now THIS is a media scrum. Ed Reed speaks. Pretty detailed-except didn't volunteer any rehabilitation details http://mypict.me/o8U9T
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Quote:
TE Adam Schiltz (6-4, 256lbs.) from Emporia State who was signed last week got his first work at mini camp today. #Texans

Also undrafted tight end out of Rice, Taylor Cook is on a tryout basis with the #Texans during mini camp.

#Texans also had tryout players in LS Brandon Hartson and TE Nathan Overbay.

Love Leach as much as the next person. Financials and mainly Greg Jones will prevent that from a Leach return. #Texans

Mini camp focused on younger players. Veterans taken care of by Kubiak. Dobbins did go through entire practice. #Texans

Oh. RT @Zepp1978: And the plot thickens. RT @ProFootballTalk: Vonta Leach wants to return to the #Texans http://wp.me/p14QSB-9bS7

Slow day at mini camp. Reed and Dobbins were the main attraction. #Texans
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Quote:
In meeting w/ the media, Reed gave the standard veteran answer (rehab is a process) when asked if he would be ready by week 1. Didn't commit

Slippery slope for Reed and other vets. How much do they confer to teams about their injuries and dings during free agency?

Reed didn't think the injury was all that bad before signing with Texans, but "all parties" decided to check it out more afterwards.

After listening to Ed Reed speak about his hip issue, it is seems obvious to me that the Texans did NOT know about it before signing him

Reed didn't think the injury was all that bad before signing with Texans, but "all parties" decided to check it out more afterwards.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Spoke to someone familiar with Reed's visit who said he had multiple MRIs during his initial visit and none revealed a torn labrum.

Quote:
#Texans had 3 tryout guys at minicamp today. One was former Rice TE Taylor Cook. Another former UH long snapper Brandon Hartson.

Oh, also, despite Devier Posey's statements last week, Kubiak is not going to have him doing healthy player stuff this week. #Texans

also, Kubiak said that. RT @lancezierlein: After listening to Ed Reed speak, it is seems obvious Texans did NOT know about it before signing

Oh, also, those of you saying Reed should get over Brady kicking him: he is over it. Was laughing as he mentioned it. #Texans

Reed volunteered the note bout the MCLs to answer "if you've got any questions about my heart and how I play and how I work." #Texans

Reed also said he played in the Super Bowl with two MCL sprains including a second degree MCL sprain in his left knee. #Texans #Ravens

Arthroscopic hip surgery recovery time can increase significantly if you need bone work. That Reed didn't is a good sign for him. #Texans

Last time Reed had this hip surgery, it required shaving a bone spur also. This time just soft tissue work, less significant. #Texans

Reed said he did not have an MRI on his initial visit but did when he "came back." unclear if that's before or after signing. #Texans

Reed didn't say Brady's name at first, we coaxed it out of him. He said Brady called him later to apologize. #Texans

Ed Reed said he thinks this might have happened when "a certain quarterback" (tom Brady) kicked him in the playoffs. #Texans

12 minutes with Reed. Here he is leaving. #Texans http://twitpic.com/cwpfu5

Tim Dobbins said Kubiak made it clear he was disappointed in Dobbins' decision not to attend OTAs before they started. #Texans
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Quote:
"My goal is New York. It’s not San Diego, it’s not Baltimore, it’s not New England, it’s not the Colts. It’s New York." -Ed Reed #Texans

"Yeah, I’m older, but I’m still gonna give everything I have to give. I made promises that I intend to keep." -Ed Reed

Ed Reed called this a “minor procedure” compared to reconstructive hip surgery that caused him to start 2010 season on PUP

Ed Reed said only play he can figure caused hip issue was kick from Tom Brady in playoffs, "but that's neither here nor there"

Ed Reed said he didn’t know he’d need surgery when he signed. Decided to look at hip again after he joined #Texans & started running

Ed Reed said only play he can figure caused hip issue was kick from Tom Brady in playoffs, "but that's neither here nor there"

Ed Reed said he didn’t know he’d need surgery when he signed. Decided to look at hip again after he joined #Texans & started running

Ed Reed: "It’s going well right now. There’s really no timeline. We’re just gonna keep on grinding & keep on working & shoot for September."

Ed Reed said he had "minor" hip surgery in Vail, CO, on April 30 to fix a "slight tear in the labrum" #Texans

6th-round pick David Quessenberry has gotten 1st-team reps at right T b/c of injuries. Is impressing Gary Kubiak #Texans

Rookie T Brennan Williams will be back for training camp but is still out w/ a May knee injury. Has missed most of the spring

Gary Kubiak on Case Keenum: "He's gonna be very competitive when we go to camp. He took advantage of last year." #Texans

QBs Matt Schaub and TJ Yates are not practicing during mini-camp. Case Keenum ran the show in practice today #Texans

Tim Dobbins: "I hope they understand that I'm here and when I'm here, I'm giving them 110% of everything I have." #Texans

"It wasn't a statement. I appreciate the contract they gave me." -ILB Tim Dobbins on missing OTAs #Texans

Tim Dobbins said he missed OTAs b/c he was renovating his house in Nashville. Has done it all himself, trying to learn a new skill set

ILB Tim Dobbins is practicing at mini-camp after sitting out (voluntary) OTAs for what he called family obligations #Texans

Gary Kubiak on Ed Reed: "We're just working the rehab process and continuing what he's been doing in Atlanta. It's good to have him back."

Ed Reed is back with the #Texans during mandatory mini-camp after rehabbing from hip surgery in Colorado and Atlanta

The #Texans just finished their 1st practice of mini-camp. Veteran starters and a few key backups are resting

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
"If you ask my trainers, you ask my doctor, they can't believe where I'm at right now." - #Texans Ed Reed about his recovery. #Texanstalk

Ed Reed Said hip surgery didn't require anything concerning bone & was just soft tissue. Added it wasnt as major as previous hip surgery

Reed said that "it happened in a days time" deciding to have the surgery. #texans. #texanstalk.

all vets going in early. Danieal Manning stayed the entire practice in the heat calling plays with Kubiak and coaching #texans secondary

Gary Kubiak said that #texans didn't know that Reed was going to require surgery and didn't know he had a torn labrum. #texanstalk

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Quote:
Picking up Vonta Leach w/ Greg Jones already on #Texans roster seems unlikely, according to @TexansVoice. #TexansRadio

"Even in the Super Bowl I had 2 MCL sprains. So if you got any questions, I think that can answer it about my heart." @TwentyER #TexansRadio

"We'll be fine. Trust me, we'll be fine." -@TwentyER #Texans

"It's going well, there's really no timeline but we're going to keep grinding and shoot for September." @TwentyER on rehab #TexansRadio

He's very comfortable; it's second nature to him now. He ran the team today. He took advatage of last year. -Kubiak on @casekeenum7 #Texans

"I'm not so concerned about the physically part, I'm finidng out where they are mentally." -Kubiak on young players in minicamp #TexansRadio

NT @EarlMitchell92 looking good in OTAs, but nose tackle position probably the thinnest for #Texans. -@NickScurfield on #TexansRadio

Kubiak says not all guys will make the team, but all will play in the NFL. Preparing rookies for shot in the League. #TexansRadio

Kubiak using minicamp as a test, chance for young guys to get first team reps & show coaches what they've learned, via @NickScurfield

"My goal is New York," Reed on his and team's main goal.

S Ed Reed said the process of realizing the need to get surgery happened in a day's span. pic.twitter.com/VcLuHMRD19

"Smartest thing is to be ready when it counts,"-- @TwentyER

Safety Ed Reed said his injury was noticed after he started working out w/#Texans. "This 1 was a minor procedure."

Last edited by Playoffs; 06-11-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2013   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Minicamp begins

Ed Reed swarmed by media

Tim Dobbins next up in the limelight
--credit houston chronicle
Old 06-11-2013   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Dobbins got swarmed because 1. Tons of media there waiting for Reed. 2. No real news. 3. Waiting to speak to Kubiak/Reed.

It was ridiculous.

We were told during practice that Reed would be made available after his workout. He was working out indoors. We had to wait for him for a while after practice, but not too long.

As you can see in the picture, LOTS of media wanting to talk to Ed. I barely got two questions in at the end. You can see just the top of my straw hat in the picture.

For camp, I dress only one step above what I wear gardening, which shouldn't be a look that is seen in public, but sometimes you need to sacrifice fashion for sun protection.
Old 06-11-2013   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Both will be solid players, but have seen a better progression in Montgomery since the beginning of Rookie Mini Camp. #Texans

Still not buying the Sam Montgomery is behind Trevardo Williams. 2 different players 2 different positions in the scheme of things. #Texans

David Quessenberry is going to be fun to watch during training camp. Today was getting the best of the OLBs. #Texans

All rookies were part of mini camp today. Hopkins still going full speed. Looks more comfortable with the offense w/ each practice. #Texans

Saw what I need from Dobbins today. Moved well and looked in top shape. Took part the entire day next to Darryl Sharpton. #Texans
Old 06-11-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Have any questions you'd want me to birddog for you?
Pose minicamp questions to TexansChick on her above linked Twitter account or in this thread.
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2013   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote sheet Tuesday:

Quote:
Gary Kubiak
(on ILB Tim Dobbins working out with the team after missing OTAs) He looked good. Hes on top of his stuff. We had a lot of reps today. I was pleased with what we did at practice. We threw a lot at them and he handled himself today.

(on the plan with S Ed Reed) Hes been back for a couple of days now. Were just working the rehab process and continue what hes been doing in Atlanta and setting our gameplan for now up until training camp. But yeah, its good to have him back.

(on if he is encouraged with where S Ed Reed is at) I dont know. They tell me hes coming along fine and that everything is going good. Its just a matter of continuing the rehab process and obviously weve got a target date that were shooting for and hopefully it will work out.

(on ILB Tim Dobbins being back at practice) He looked fine. He did his job today. I thought they all did a good job. Its good to have him back.

(on ILB Tim Dobbins saying he hasnt spoken with Kubiak yet and what his message for Dobbins would be) Ive barely seen him yet today. Im glad to have him back. Im glad hes here. Weve got a lot of work to do and he had a lot of catching up to do, but he was on top of stuff today.

(on the veterans not participating in minicamp) Theyre just working out. Theyre working out with (head strength and conditioning coach) Cedric (Smith). What I wanted to do was take all the young guys and go back, everything we did the last month, and just kind of have a crash coursekind of a test in a lot of ways. Im not so concerned about the physical part right now, finding out where theyre at mentally. I was impressed with what they did today. They obviously looked at it hard and were ready to practice today so that was impressive.

(on the fitness level of ILB Tim Dobbins) We didnt do much. We were really a jog-through tempo today in what we were doing. We ran a little bit at the end.

(on if he feels good about where all of the first-team guys are at) I think Ive done that the last three or four years. I just think theyve had 10 good practices under their belts, healthy, relatively healthy with all the things that are going on as far as everybody being ready for camp. They dont need three more days of the same reps. These young guys need them. I think as a coach, its my job to get them in a position where they can compete to make a team. Thats why were trying to get them the reps.

(on WR DeVier Poseys progress) I was impressed today. I watched from afar while he was doing his work over there, but I watched him run and watched him work. Like I told him, hopefully he makes a real tough decision on us as we get towards camp and those PUP decisions and that type of stuff. Hopefully its going to be a very, very tough one, but hes doing his job. Hes working hard.

(on if he will have WR DeVier Posey on the field at all this week) Posey? No, absolutely not. No.

(on S Danieal Manning sticking around to watch the younger guys practice) It means he probably has nothing else to do. No, hes a great kid. Hes a mentor to those young guys. Hes just one of those guys that loves being around ball all the time. Hes standing back there with me making calls. I think thats great. As I told the guys just before we left a few minutes ago, everybody cant make our team, but everybody can make it in this league. So were trying to help everybody have a chance to play in the National Football League. Weve got a lot of guys working hard to do that.

(on T David Quessenberry) Im impressed with how far hes come. Hes obviously been put in a very tough spot, but sometimes thats how you find a heck of a player. So hes working as a starting right tackle in a lot of situations along with (T) Ryan Harris. You never know. There have been some sixth and seventh round draft choices in this league start and be great players. With the work hes getting, hes going to get a good chance to have that type of situation as a young player, so well see what happens.

(on if he thinks ILB Tim Dobbins hurt himself by not coming out for OTAs) No, theyre voluntary. Thats the way it works.

(on the health status of RB Arian Foster and T Duane Brown) Theyre both doing fine. Arian is doing good. Duane had to shave the situation he had on his ankle. Hes up and around and doing good.

(on the progress of QB Case Keenum) Its been very impressive. Hes very comfortable in what hes doing. Its second nature to him now, so you see his talents taking over. He did some great things over OTAs. He ran the team today. Its going to be very competitive when we go to camp. He knows that. Everybody knows that in what weve seen, but thats what we expected. He took advantage of last year. Thats what a young guy on a practice squad does. He took advantage of it and hes ready to compete now.

(on the progress of T Brennan Williams and his knee) Its slow. He needs to be out here, but hes not. Nothing we can do. My biggest concern with him, hell be ready for camp, but my biggest concern is his conditioning. All these young guys know what Houston is about and know about the heat and have been doing a pretty good job of that. He hasnt even begun to figure that one out. Thats my biggest concern right now.

(on what T Brennan Williams had done to his knee and if he had to have anything repaired) Im not sure what he had. He just had a clean-up, whatever that means.

(on if the team knew S Ed Reed would need surgery on his hip after going through the physical when signing with the team) I guess the best way for me to answer that is that we did not expect for him to have to have a surgery, if thats what youre asking me. After he started to have some issues during his workout routine, we thought the best thing to do was to get it cleaned up like he did the previous time, which obviously we werent a part of. Hes been through this process before, but once this started to bother him, obviously we got aggressive in getting him ready to go for the season.

(on if he knew he had a torn labrum in his hip) No, obviously I didnt know.
Old 06-11-2013   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote sheet Tuesday:

Quote:
ILB Tim Dobbins
(on being at mini-camp) Its great being back out here with the team. Running around here, its hotter than what I was running in already.

(on what he feels he missed out on by not being at OTAs) The camaraderie of the team, as far as that but Ive been running in this system for eight years, so Im pretty sure itll take just brushing up on my skills and knowledge of our scheme just to get back where I was.

(on why he was not at OTAs) I had obligations with my family. We were renovating the house, thats what it was. We were renovating the whole house. Ive been having this house for a year already. I (demolished) all myself, Ive been trying to work on it all myself and just trying to learn another skill, as far as that. But I definitely missed out on some things, learned some names and seen some new faces on this team.

(on if he feels like he let some of his teammates down or if they understand why he wasnt at OTAs) Im pretty sure I let some of the guys down, but at the same time, Im hoping they understand. I hope they understand that Im here and when Im here, Im giving them 110 percent of everything I have. Theres nothing left in the tank. So I dont want them to have that doubt that Im not going to be a part of this team and give all my effort on this team.

(on the pros and cons of not coming to OTAs) The pros; I dont want to say it but, its just more rest even though I was still working out. But its still more rest and spending more time with my family. This was the longest time Ive ever been with my family, which was a treat for me. But thats pretty much about it.

(on if he was making a statement that he wasnt happy with his contract by not showing up to OTAs) No, it wasnt no statement. I have nothing against this franchise, this organization. I appreciate the contract they gave me. As a person, you always want more though, but its definitely nothing with that at all.

(on if hes worried about losing his job or being demoted because he didnt show up to OTAs) My first goal here on this team is special teams and I hope they know I know how to do that. As far as being a starter or a backup, I feel like thats second nature. I feel like my role on this team is special teams. Itd be a positive thing for me to play on defense but I have no control of that.

(on what head coach Gary Kubiak has said to him) We have not spoken today. I am looking forward to it. Im sure its not going to be anything polite. I already know how he feels about the whole situation and I feel disappointed in myself, but there was nothing I could do about it. It was something I had to do for my family.

(on if he would do anything different if he could do it all over again) No, I would not. I would do it all the same way.

(on if it was his decision or his agents decision not to go to OTAs) This was pretty much my mine; all mine.

(on what type of role his agent played in the decision not to attend OTAs) At first, I was nervous about the whole situation because I had never done this before in my career. I kept calling to make sure there was nothing they could do, to make sure they didnt want to fire me. I had to make sure what was mandatory, what was not mandatory. So I was pretty much on top of making sure I didnt miss anything.

(on what he did to work out while he was not at OTAs) I trained at D1 (Sports Training) in Nashville, Tenn. I pretty much did some boot camps for a little bit. Then I started practicing with a college guy named Sam that goes to Austin Peay and then I just jumped on his program and started working out and running with him.

(on how he was received in the locker room) Everybody, they seemed like they were happy to see me but I was happy to see them. I feel like everybody was happy I came back, but at the same time, I just came here to work.

(on head coach Gary Kubiak had expressed disappointment that he was going to miss OTAs) Before I had made a decision, I had came here and worked out for like two days because he wanted me to and I talked to him and he let me know then and there that he was disappointed. But it was still my decision if I would come or not. He just let me know, if I was not here, he was going (to be) disappointed and that he expects me to be here.

(on if he understands that some fans are upset that he was not at OTAs) I have no idea about the fans because when Im gone, Im gone. I didnt look at the news, I didnt watch the news or read the newspapers. I didnt do anything. But I hope they know Im here. Im ready to work because I dont feel like I lost anything.
Old 06-11-2013   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote sheet Tuesday:

Quote:
FS Ed Reed
(on if he feels like a Texan now that he is in Houston) Yeah, man. Once I got everything done with my other team, you know, finished up everything, I gave it a 24-hour grace period to kind of let that soak in and make that transition, to really get acclimated. Its going good. Guys are welcoming, like it was when I first came. Just starting to get it going.

(on his timeline in Colorado) I had surgery on April 30. I was there for four weeks. Just like I had surgery the last time, I stayed for about a month or whatever. That was the best thing to do, as far as the physical therapy. Its going well right now. Theres really no timeline. I know what I want and I know what we want as an organization. Were just going to keep on grinding and keep on working and shoot for September.

(on potentially playing in the first game of the season) Like I said, were going to keep working out this offseason. Once training camp comes Ill have a better bead on it, as far as my progress. Right now, I can tell you, its going well; going really good. No setbacks. Im actually just coming from working out. As you can see, Im a little fatigued from them getting the best of me. You know, thats part of it. Its looking really good right now.

(on if hell be disappointed if hes not ready to play in Week 1) Like I said, were going to continue to work out. No disappointments because rehab is a process. Im going to keep working out. Come training camp, like I said, Ill have a better bead on it, a better feel for it. Right now, its still offseason and everybodys working out.

(on if he was surprised that he needed surgery and how that worked out) Yeah. I mean, I really didnt know. I knew there was something there but it didnt seem major at all. Honestly, it was a slight tear and we did due diligence on both sides. Me, my doctor, Kap (Texans director of sports medicine and head athletic trainer Geoff Kaplan), the head doctor here and Dr. (Marc) Philippon; we all put our heads together to make the best decision and that was the best decision. Were going through the process.

(on if his hip injury was something that showed up after he had his physical before he signed) Yeah. We just really had to look into it. Like I told Kap (Texans director of sports medicine and head athletic trainer Geoff Kaplan), once I came here and started to run, its like, Lets look at this again. We did an MRI, sent it to (Dr. Marc) Philippon and had a better image of it. It revealed two things. The other one was slightly and I thought it was a minor procedure that I had to have done, but being that it was a slight tear in the labrum. It took me back to when I knew it could have had happened but I played in the Super Bowl. Its something that happened. Injuries happen in football all the time. Were doing everything and Im in the right place to rehab and to get this thing rolling.

(on if he got an MRI when he was here for his visit) No. After I came back, I got an MRI. We did everything. We did all kinds of stuff when I was here last time.

(on when he thinks the tear occurred in his hip labrum) If I go back to it, the only play I can look at is when I got kicked by a certain quarterback. But like I said, even then, I played in the Super Bowl and you saw what happened there. Even then, I had two MCL sprains; a second-degree one on my left in the Super Bowl in the first quarter and played through that. So, if youve got any questions, I think that can answer your questions about my heart and how I play and how I work. Were going to go through this, process.

(on if the quarterback he was referring to is Tom Brady) It was, but it happened. (Tom) Brady called me after and apologized, but thats neither here nor there. What happened, happened and were moving forward.

(on how this latest hip injury is different from the one he had a couple years ago) Aw, man, the one a couple years ago, he had to take a piece of my IT band. I had to have reconstructive surgery. I had to have some bone spurs shaved down. This was a minor procedure. I definitely feel a lot different than I felt last time. Like I said, its minor to the one I had in 2010, so the recovery is going a lot different. Being that I had surgery then, same surgery, I think the body is more receptive to it. Im doing a lot of things differently than I was then; eating differently. When I stayed out in Vail, I had a chef out there who really helped me out, according to my diet. That helps to recover a lot better. Like I said, Im a lot stronger. If you ask my trainers, if you ask my doctor, they cant believe where Im at right now. But its still a process and regardless, were going to be smart through it because at the end of the day the smartest thing to do is to be ready when it really counts; thats the latter part of the season, when youre trying to make that run or youre making that run to the playoffs and on to the Super Bowl in New York.

(on if having this injury could be a benefit in the sense that if hes not ready to play until Week 3 or 4, he may be fresher at the end of the season) Were going to go through the process. I dont know when Ill be back. I know what my goal is and I know what the team goal is. But I know being here and just talking to everybody and even when you see Mr. Bob (McNair) there, its about being smart and getting the longevity out of it. The season is a grind, man. The season is a grind. Of course, you never want to have surgery. I fought with it, man, because I had to sit in an office by myself and they were like, Youve got to make a decision. And Im in the office by myself, just praying, Lord, I dont know what to do. Because I dont want to have surgery if I dont have to. But the smartest thing to do, the smartest decision at the time was to have surgery.

(on if it was in April that his hip was bothering him enough to have it looked at again) It was like March, April. Yeah, like right before.

(on how long he waited between thinking he might need surgery and actually deciding to have the surgery) All it happened in like a days time. It happened like that. I talked to (Houston Texans general manager and executive vice president of football operations) Rick (Smith) and Rick was like, Lets get the doctors on it and see exactly what it is. The decision and everything happened so quick. It happened within a days time and I flew out to Vail. I really just flew out to Vail to get evaluated and if I had to have surgery, I was already there. Dr. (Marc) Philippon saw a tear and was like, Look, a tear would heal pretty much everything else in the hip. Him and Dr. Myers had a talk in which; if you do the history, they know each other very well. Like I said, it was the right decision; had every head on it here. Well be fine. Trust me, well be fine.

(on if he had to have any bones shaved down during his surgery) No. Not at all.

(on if he will tell the media his goal) I mean, when you set goals, do you tell people your goals? My goals are simple. My goal was to be part of this organization that welcomed me, that wanted me, that respected what I did knowing what Ive done on the football field and know what Im capable of doing. Yeah, Im older but Im still gonna give everything Im going to give to this sport and definitely to this organization for what theyve done for me, my family and how theyve backed me. Ive made promises that I intend to keep.

I mean, my goal is New York, if you really want to know. And I think everybody knows that because thats the ultimate goal at the end of the day. Its not San Diego. Its not Baltimore. Its not New England. Its not the Colts. Its New York and Im talking about Super Bowl, if you must know. Thats my goal. Thats our goal.
(on the talent on the Texans defense and playing with them) Oh, man. That was part of the decision to come here. I knew what these guys had. I knew what theyve been going through. I knew the grind, I knew the battle that weve had when I was part of the Ravens. Like I said, they welcomed me. The door was open and I just want to be that piece that fits right in to the defense, that keeps that train rolling and start to make some plays.

(on President Barack Obama giving him grief at the White House) He wasnt giving me grief, man. Thats the President. If youre in any situation, any of those surroundings, when youre with a team and the Presidents talking to you; thats what hes doing. It was more like a conversation, man. He wasnt joking on me or anything. Thats the President. I actually was answering him back and forth, so it was good, man. I enjoyed it.

(on President Barack Obama saying he looked like an old man) I mean, hes not lying. Ive been having the gray hairs since high school. My foundation, working with kids and stuff, it tends to do that. When youre trying to help people, it tends to put a little bit more stress on you than the norm. Its something I embrace, Obviously, I dont cut my hair. Im not putting the Just For Men in there to try to hide the gray and what not. Its something I embrace as part of me. It says a lot. I have a lot of wisdom and Ive experienced a lot.

(on what he was saying back to President Barack Obama at the White House) I just told him, You know what your job can do to you. And he was like, I understand exactly what youre saying. It was a great time and I really enjoyed it.

(on where he is at in his rehabilitation) Week 7 tomorrow.

(on what sorts of things he is doing in his rehabilitation) Rehabbing and working out now.
Old 06-11-2013   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

So, basically, the Texans have Roger Clemens pitching from the Safety position without the publicity of saying Reed will only play home games and not travel with the team. Am I misreading this?
Old 06-11-2013   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Spoke to someone familiar with Reed's visit who said he had multiple MRIs during his initial visit and none revealed a torn labrum.

Reed had many reasons to have MRI exams of any one of many of his joints.........previous ankle, knee, shoulder and hip injury history. The problem is that MRIs (magnetic resonance imaging) will pick up most joint abnormalities and are moderately decent at picking up shoulder labrum tears. However, they are poor in picking up labrum tears of the hip. MRA (magnetic resonance arthrogram) is the same as the MRI, except that it is performed after contrast material is injected into the joint space to better identify and better outline existing abnormalities. It is the MRA that is the exam that demonstrates the hip labrum and its tears with high sensitivity and accuracy. I assure you that an MRA was performed just prior to the decision to proceed with surgery.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

3 days of #Texans [mandatory] minicamp start today. Then break until end of July for training camp. Have any questions you'd want me to birddog for you?
Not so much a question, but a progress report on Keenum since he's getting extra reps this week.

And the OLB situation with Braman. He didn't garner much attention after day 2 last week, so I'm assuming the experiment won't last much longer.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

(on T David Quessenberry) Im impressed with how far hes come. Hes obviously been put in a very tough spot, but sometimes thats how you find a heck of a player. So hes working as a starting right tackle in a lot of situations along with (T) Ryan Harris. You never know. There have been some sixth and seventh round draft choices in this league start and be great players. With the work hes getting, hes going to get a good chance to have that type of situation as a young player, so well see what happens.

I think quess is going to take that spot.
Old 06-12-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

As far as the Reed situation goes, sounds like Reed's hip wasn't considered an issue before we signed him. It wasn't like he thought he needed surgery & kept that from the Texans. He's old, he's a football player, he thought it was something he could work through.

& he probably could have. But our doctors & trainers didn't like what they saw, they did their due diligence to get to the bottom of the issue & determined the best course of action was surgery.
Old 06-12-2013   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I think quess is going to take that spot.
I asked that question because of our discussion on RT. And because of the work he was getting.

Also asked about Foster/Brown, though I pretty much knew what he was going to say.
Old 06-12-2013   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
As far as the Reed situation goes, sounds like Reed's hip wasn't considered an issue before we signed him. It wasn't like he thought he needed surgery & kept that from the Texans. He's old, he's a football player, he thought it was something he could work through.

& he probably could have. But our doctors & trainers didn't like what they saw, they did their due diligence to get to the bottom of the issue & determined the best course of action was surgery.
Spin...... Spin......Spin......

Reed didn't tell the Texans about his hip and the Texans doctors foolishly didn't run a MRA despite a previous injury to Reeds other hip. Looks like Dr. Lowe and crew screwed the pooch on another one. (Not that I blame Reed for not being truthful.)

Someday the Texans Dr.'s are going to be called out for either being the Texans Lackey, or inept at their jobs. With that said, hopefully Reed will get well and become an upgrade over Quin.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Day 2 and I'm already tired of reading about Reed...and I like the guy. Gonna be a long preseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I asked that question because of our discussion on RT. And because of the work he was getting.

Also asked about Foster/Brown, though I pretty much knew what he was going to say.
Thanks.

I thought I had read somewhere that he was getting first team reps due to the injuries, so that was nice confirmation.
Old 06-12-2013   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Question: Does it look like any of the 3 UDFA RB's or Deji Karim rising to the top and separating themselves from the other RB's, or is it too early to tell anything?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read