Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2013   #21
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6350 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed may miss games now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Defense looks like it'll be pretty bad except for JJ Watt. Question marks all around with the linebacker situation, Earl Mitchell at the NT is an issue for me, and Ed Reed's health is a big concern.
No way. They are going to light people up.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #22
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
No.

I mean, I can. I just won't. Ever.
OK...how about Dominick Davis/Williams???
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Imo, anyone who has ever heard Ed Reed interview should know to take what he says with a grain of salt. He's only missed 16 games in 11 years, 0 in the past 2. Let's wait until Aug-Sept before we start throwing FA bust comparisons out there
Old 06-06-2013   #24
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
Can you say "Tony Boselli?"...
No, this is nothing like that.

Now it might be "Ahman Green" but I think we need Reed less than we needed Green at that time. It's bad if Reed doesn't come through but it's not like we have nothing else back there. When Green didn't come through the Texans were just kind of screwed.
Old 06-06-2013   #25
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Just so he's ready for the Playoffs.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
No, but I can say Ahman Green. And Eric Moulds.
It's somewhat interesting to look back in comparison at this March 2007 TexansTalk post re. Green. He came in with a better historical injury and performance track record prior to the Texans signing him. He certainly was not signed with a significant injury. But then it just didn't work out.

Quote:
The myths of Ahman Green

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Browsing this board and a few of the Chronicle blogs, it seems there are a lot of folks who love to whine for the sake of whining without actually understanding the subject of what they're arguing. So, I figured it'd be good to have a single thread to dismiss most of these lies.

1. Why sign a running back who's injury-prone?

Well, because he's not. He had one leg injury two years ago - other than that, his track record has been one of incredible durability. 16 games, 14 games, 16 games, 16 games, 14 games, 16 games, 15 games, 5 years, and 14 games. You tell me which is the outlier among Green's nine seasons in the league. If anything, durability with Green is a positive, not a negative.

2. He's aging and washed up. A has been.

Do washed up has-beens accumulate almost 1,500 yards from scrimmage on about 300 touches last season? Do they average 4 YPC behind a poor offensive line (probably worse at run blocking than ours) and catch 46 passes at more than 8 YPC? Pop quiz: for all the love Reggie Bush gets for his versatility, who had more combined offensive yards (rushing + receiving) last season for a higher yards per touch - Reggie Bush, or Ahman Green? If you answered the latter, you'd be correct. If Green is a has been based on last season, I guess that makes Bush a never was.

3. Why not Travis Henry?

Because Henry averaged 3.5 YPC in 2004, 3.8 in 2005, and 2.7 in 2006 until VY showed up, when his YPC instantly shot up. Coincidence? I think not. Henry looked poor for three consecutive seasons, until he was able to benefit from the zone read scheme that made linebackers a step slow because they had to account for the possibility of Young faking the handoff and keeping it himself. Second, want to talk injury prone? That label applies to Henry - a guy with multiple nagging injuries - moreso than it does to Green, a durable player with one significant injury his entire career.

4. Running backs at 30 or older never do anything.

I guess someone forgot to tell that to Tiki Barber, who rushed for 1860 and 1662 yards the last two seasons on more than 5 YPC to go with approximately 500 receiving yards. I guess someone forgot to tell that to Warrick Dunn, who rushed for 1416 yards and 1140 yards the last two seasons, at 5 and 4 YPC. I guess someone forgot to tell that to Fred Taylor, who rushed for 1146 yards at 5 YPC last season. While a majority of backs are young, by no means is it a rule or requirement.

5. Why sign a reject that other teams didn't want?

Green Bay tried to re-sign him. Denver tried to sign him. The logic of "why sign so and so because so and so's old team let him go" can be applied to every free agent in the history of free agency. If you believe in that, why pursue anyone other than in the draft? Green had plenty of other suitors, but we offered the deal to get him here and he took it.

6. Why take another Packer or Bronco?

Yeah, I'm sure it's an obsession thing. Or maybe, just maybe, the Texans had a need at RB, and looked at all their options. They wanted someone with a proven track record - how's 6 out of 7 1,000 yard seasons sound? They wanted someone with experience behind a bad offensive line - how's the worst run-blocking OL in the league last season (Green Bay) sound? They wanted someone with experience with the zone blocking scheme - guess what Green Bay runs? They wanted someone with sound character to step up and be a leader - that's one thing Green is known for. They wanted someone to be a receiver out of the backfield - how does 46 catches at more than 8 YPC sound? Along with four seasons of 50 receptions or more? They wanted someone to step in for 2-3 seasons while a back for the future is developed via the draft - how's a 30 year old with about 2-3 really good years left in the tank sound?

Maybe it's not because they're obsessed with Packer running backs. Maybe it's because he's a really good fit. Think about it.

7. Why sign anyone so old? We're not going to contend in the next couple of years.

Yeah! That's the spirit! Don't even try in the next couple of years - that'll help build support for this franchise! Also, remember what happened the last time this team cut veteran leadership (Glenn and Sharper) and the dropoff that ensued when the team was put almost exclusively put in younger hands? Every team needs veteran leadership, particularly at skill positions, to direct the offense and help younger players. It's a vital part of building a team.

8. Why overpay for a 30-year old RB?

Well, first of all, running backs in the top five for the decade with 6 of 7 thousand-yard seasons (including last season) with good receiving skills don't come asking to play for the minimum. Secondly, this is the Houston Texans, not the Indianapolis Colts. This has been one of the worst teams in football for five years now. You think players are begging to play here? You have to pay a premium, change the culture, get some wins, and then potentially reap the rewards. It's a phase of rebuilding - either deal with it, or plan on rebuilding for a whole lot longer.

None of this is to say the signing is perfect - it certainly has its risks. But a few folks sound like they're complaining simply for the sake of complaining, rather than it being sound judgment and reasoning. These responses should answer some of the negativity.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It's somewhat interesting to look back in comparison at this March 2007 TexansTalk post re. Green. He came in with a better historical injury and performance track record prior to the Texans signing him. He certainly was not signed with a significant injury. But then it just didn't work out.
That's actually why it's an apt comparison. There were signs, in the case of Green, of what was to come. You don't take a guy who is injured or has been injured frequently of late, and expect him to improve at age 30, in Green's case. What Green did as a Texan was predictable.

Reed suffered from injury last season, despite playing through it, and his production suffered. To expect him to return to form at his age is just unrealistic. JMO, but it was stupid to let Quin go in favor of Reed, especially when the money was effectively the same. I was hoping for Swearinger on draft day, however, so I have hope that it won't matter much.
Old 06-06-2013   #28
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Unless you're feeling confident that Wade's man love for Shilo Keo has waned...... I'd be a little bit worried.
This. Folks keep thinking 'Well DJ can step in for him!'. Well one, he's still a rookie and unproven at this point. We all think he can but there is no certainity there. But let's say he does step in and fills the role in a solid manner. I am expecting him to just like others but you are still forgetting that Wade employs a system that utilizes THREE safeties when we face spreads and we face them often enough. Not to mention we struggled against spreads last year as it is.

So who is that third safety if Reed is down? At this point it is Keo. Unless Keo has vastly improved that is a scary proposition.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #29
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

uggghhh.....I'm sick to my stomach and getting light headed..looks like Ima be heading to sick call tomorrow morning...........
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Reed talked about his new team in Houston and his ongoing recovery from a surgical procedure on his hip.

“In going through this process of having to have surgery, I couldn’t have any other organization behind me the way this organization is standing behind me and understanding this process,” Reed said. “Understanding that I’m doing everything possible, and will do everything possible to be at that first game.”

Reed has been rehabbing in Atlanta, and according to head coach Gary Kubiak, will join the team for minicamp on Tuesday.

“He’ll be here next week,” Kubiak said after yesterday's OTA. “He’ll be here basically for just an evaluation process. Obviously he can’t do anything. We know who’s working with him in Atlanta and then we’ll get him here next week.”

In addition to his praise for the Texans’ organization and its response to his surgery, Reed also spoke highly of his head coach, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and secondary coach Vance Joseph.

“Coach Kubiak is one of the coolest coaches I’ve ever met, and Wade is so laid back you can’t do anything but enjoy him,” Reed said. “And my position coach is really cool.”

Reed also described Houston as being “home”. He and the Texans will go through mandatory work at the Methodist Training Center on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday before taking the last long break of the offseason. Training camp will begin in late July.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...2-8014edbb4fc9
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #31
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quote:
his praise for the Texans’ organization.........response to his surgery
What else can they do? With a non-incentive-based $5 million guaranteed contract signed with an "unknown" injury that requires surgery with an indeterminable prognosis, they are probably walking on egg shells not to highlight their perceived possible "mistake" or upset their investment or push him to the point of causing a setback.
Old 06-06-2013   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What else can they do? With a non-incentive-based $5 million guaranteed contract signed with an "unknown" injury that requires surgery with an indeterminable prognosis, they are probably walking on egg shells not to highlight their perceived possible "mistake" or upset their investment or push him to the point of causing a setback.
I think they could force him to rehab here with their own people, perhaps even require use of their own doctors. Generally treat him in a manner of distrust versus treating him in a way that says "we know you're a professional and handling this in the best way for your quickest recovery."

Reed has spoken many times to his disappointment with how things were dealt with with his prior team/organization. The milk is spilled ... need to maximize what we can from the situation.
Old 06-06-2013   #33
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think they could force him to rehab here with their own people, perhaps even require use of their own doctors. Generally treat him in a manner of distrust versus treating him in a way that says "we know you're a professional and handling this in the best way for your quickest recovery."

Reed has spoken many times to his disappointment with how things were dealt with with his prior team/organization. The milk is spilled ... need to maximize what we can from the situation.

I understand what you're saying. But unfortunately, I believe the Texans have absolutely no leverage to force him to do anything.
Old 06-06-2013   #34
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
This is a guy they just signed and want to receive value for. I don't see how treating him "in a manner of distrust" is going to foster the type of relationship that yields the best results.

They didn't do enough homework and it was a risky signing anyway, just because he's an older player coming off recent injury. They're basically up a creek and Ed Reed's doctors and genetics have the only paddle.
Old 06-06-2013   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if Glover Quin will be on field game one?
Old 06-06-2013   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If we went out & drafted a safety anyway, now that I think about it, I wonder why we didn't sign GQ. He didn't sign some crazy, "we won't be able to sign anyone else" type deal. We've still got several contacts that could have been redone to make the room needed.

I wonder if the Texans overvalued Glover, priced themselves out of the market.
Old 06-06-2013   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we went out & drafted a safety anyway, now that I think about it, I wonder why we didn't sign GQ. He didn't sign some crazy, "we won't be able to sign anyone else" type deal. We've still got several contacts that could have been redone to make the room needed.

I wonder if the Texans overvalued Glover, priced themselves out of the market.
The Lions gave him a $23 mil/5 year contract. But the only guaranteed money was the $1.5 mil signing bonus x each of the 5 years (total of $5.25 mil). His base salary for this year was only $1 mil (cap hit....$2.5 mil). It then escalates to $4 mil/year for the next 4 years though).
Old 06-06-2013   #38
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90799 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

I miss him already.
Vance87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #39
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
For the Lions? No doubt.
Old 06-06-2013   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
The Lions gave him a $23 mil/5 year contract. But the only guaranteed money was the $1.5 mil signing bonus x each of the 5 years (total of $5.25 mil). His base salary for this year was only $1 mil (cap hit....$2.5 mil). It then escalates to $4 mil/year for the next 4 years though).
So you agree? Surely you don't think $4M/yr is too much for Quin?

I (like the Texans probably did) like him. I think he would have blew up in year 3 as our safety in this system. Nigh Pro Bowl, All-Pro. The chances of him being the guy we need in year 3 of this system & Ed Reed (much respect, don't get me wrong, but your medical diagnoses is part of the reason) being that guy is pretty much the same... maybe slight edge to GQ.

I think $4M/yr is about what the average starter should get (so I think Quin would have been a steal). 22 starters x $4M/yr, that's only $88M. With a $120M cap, that leaves you with $32M to sign your franchise players & the rest of your 53.

Say Antonio Smith's $9M number. $4M would come from the $88M we accounted for our starters, $5M from the $32M, leaving you $27M for your Schaubs, Andres, Arians, DBrowns etc...

Of course not all our starters make $4M.... the number is just an average, where I'm saying a starter should be making $4M. Our RT, RG, FB, WR2, TE2, ILB(next to Cushing), NT, OLB(Not named Whitney), etc..... won't be making $4M/yr.

Quin is worth $4M/yr easily in my mind.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read