Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-27-2013   #61
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lestar Jean??????????????????????-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
aww I gave up dis guy he prob wont even make the team we are pretty stacked now in terms of WR
We are stacked with question marks that could go either way.
Old 06-27-2013   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
On local Fox network last night June 27th, Kubiak stated Jean and Martin were among players the most improved over last season. Man, I like Lestar's size & speed if he could just develop into an everyday player our WRs corps could be great.
This is one of the things I've mentioned.

If these two step up, if all the other weapons remain healthy, if the Texans get a 2-score lead early, and if the D plays as well as they did with Cushing, Hopkins may not see as much target as many of the posters here hope for.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #63
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Agreed.

Jean has flashed playmaker ability but like Kubes says, he needs to show consistency. If he can, I agree, look out! This WR corps could be exciting!
the majority of his snaps were rushing plays, its not like he had so many chances to shine. If they would of given him one full game as the #2 WR we could have a better idea, but K.W so was so "good" last season i can see why they didnt haha.
Old 06-27-2013   #64
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
the majority of his snaps were rushing plays, its not like he had so many chances to shine. If they would of given him one full game as the #2 WR we could have a better idea, but K.W so was so "good" last season i can see why they didnt haha.
My concern is the targets he did get and did not catch.
Old 06-29-2013   #65
CharloTex
All Pro

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 23819 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My concern is the targets he did get and did not catch.
I don't remember any except maybe one or two dropped balls. If you're talking about mis-thrown balls in his direction, which also could have been badly run routes, maybe there's more, but I just don't remember a lot of missed opportunities with LJ. I think he was under-utilized. Is that his fault? Maybe.
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #66
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharloTex View Post
I don't remember any except maybe one or two dropped balls. If you're talking about mis-thrown balls in his direction, which also could have been badly run routes, maybe there's more, but I just don't remember a lot of missed opportunities with LJ. I think he was under-utilized. Is that his fault? Maybe.
Yeah same here, i remeber the one TD that he had in the endzone until he hit the ground, so it was a no TD, but other than that i dont remember any if any drops. I like his potential and like what i see when he is in there, its just he isnt in there very much and when he is it is usually as a blocker. Give him a full gave as the #2 and i think we would hear a different tune.
Old 06-29-2013   #67
badboy
Site Contributor

Lestar Jean caught two passes for 31 yards in Monday night's Week 14 loss to the Patriots.
Jean was targeted five times on the night and seems to have bypassed struggling rookie Keshawn Martin as the team's No. 3 receiver. Jean possesses good size and runs like the wind, but he has unreliable hands. It showed on the opening drive, as he dropped his first target down the right sideline. Jean has six catches on the season.

2 for 5? One game only I know & he looked good on the 54 yard TD in week 13 but he really needs to excel. If he caught pretty much everything thrown at him as indicated above, why was he not targeted more?

and: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 17:59:33 -0700

The Houston Texans want to have more reliable targets outside of WR Andre Johnson in the receiving game. Last season, WR Lestar Jean hauled in 50 percent of his targets for catches, while WR DeVier Posey (Achilles') racked up catches on 43 percent of his targets. WR Keshawn Martin managed to catch just 36 percent of his targets.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/24757/nfl...#ixzz2Xdh2sQYH
Old 06-29-2013   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Quote:
Lestar Jean caught two passes for 31 yards in Monday night's Week 14 loss to the Patriots.
Jean was targeted five times on the night and seems to have bypassed struggling rookie Keshawn Martin as the team's No. 3 receiver. Jean possesses good size and runs like the wind, but he has unreliable hands. It showed on the opening drive, as he dropped his first target down the right sideline. Jean has six catches on the season.
2 for 5? One game only I know & he looked good on the 54 yard TD in week 13 but he really needs to excel. If he caught pretty much everything thrown at him as indicated above, why was he not targeted more?

and: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 17:59:33 -0700
Quote:
The Houston Texans want to have more reliable targets outside of WR Andre Johnson in the receiving game. Last season, WR Lestar Jean hauled in 50 percent of his targets for catches, while WR DeVier Posey (Achilles') racked up catches on 43 percent of his targets. WR Keshawn Martin managed to catch just 36 percent of his targets.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/24757/nfl...#ixzz2Xdh2sQYH

Look at that. Much easier to read. Easier to see what are your words & what's not.
Old 06-29-2013   #69
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We are stacked with question marks that could go either way.
Agree. Not just at WR either.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013   #70
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Well we all know Schaub is a world class QB and i imagine all his throws are just perfect haha. AJ is a beast and even made Carr look good half the time, and we all know the type of QB he was. My point is just cause you are "targeted" doesnt mean it was actually a good throw. I think that word doenst tell the whole story.

For instance Calvin Johnson was "targeted 413 times, only 258 of which were catchable.

And when he does make a play it is usually a big one. His AVG was 25.2 yds per reception.
Old 07-01-2013   #71
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well we all know Schaub is a world class QB and i imagine all his throws are just perfect haha. AJ is a beast and even made Carr look good half the time, and we all know the type of QB he was. My point is just cause you are "targeted" doesnt mean it was actually a good throw. I think that word doenst tell the whole story.

For instance Calvin Johnson was "targeted 413 times, only 258 of which were catchable.
And when he does make a play it is usually a big one. His AVG was 25.2 yds per reception.
I'm of the opinion that "catchable" is a pretty subjective stat to throw out there. By that I mean that out of a group of 10 judges, there could be 10 different opinions on if a ball was catchable and why or why it wasn't catchable. It can be very biased as to the opinion of the judge on the QB and receiver. Kinda reminds me of how official scorers judge an error in baseball.

I do agree that "targets" and catches don't tell the whole story, though. I'm not sure of the best way to judge it, though.
Old 07-02-2013   #72
badboy
Site Contributor

We agree on targets but 50%? We are not talking about throws thrown 10 feet out of reach that he should have "caught". One of the reasons AJ had such a heavy load is he was only one Matt could trust.
Old 07-02-2013   #73
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
This is one of the things I've mentioned.
If these two step up, if all the other weapons remain healthy, if the Texans get a 2-score lead early, and if the D plays as well as they did with Cushing, Hopkins may not see as much target as many of the posters here hope for.
If, If, If, If....

You just named 4 if's....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #74
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm of the opinion that "catchable" is a pretty subjective stat to throw out there. By that I mean that out of a group of 10 judges, there could be 10 different opinions on if a ball was catchable and why or why it wasn't catchable. It can be very biased as to the opinion of the judge on the QB and receiver. Kinda reminds me of how official scorers judge an error in baseball.

I do agree that "targets" and catches don't tell the whole story, though. I'm not sure of the best way to judge it, though.
Percentage of targets caught and percentage of drops is probably the best way, but even then you have to account for offensive style. A team that goes deep more frequently is going to have a lower percentage of catches (not necessarily drops) than a team that uses short crossing patterns and the like.
Old 07-02-2013   #75
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If, If, If, If....

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
If, If, If, If....

Tomorrow is promised to no one.
Old 07-02-2013   #77
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If, If, If, If....

Show me a projection for the future that doesn't rely of 'if'?? Really odd point to make.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #78
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Show me a projection for the future that doesn't rely of 'if'?? Really odd point to make.

If you make projections by using multiple 'if's' then your projection isn't a projection. It's a shot in the dark.

Wth are you talking about? I didn't point out a statement that had one 'if' in it...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #79
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post

There is no way to judge it, It is really all in the opinion of whoever does these stats i guess.
Old 07-02-2013   #80
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is no way to judge it, It is really all in the opinion of whoever does these stats i guess.
Not really particularly to you but you can try to carve a stat toothpick but at some point it becomes obvious. Our rookie WR's last year caught 41.5% of balls thrown to them. Same QB as everyone else on the team, same system. Look around the league and that is pathetic no matter the system. Small dead hands Jacoby Jones in a downfield role reeled in 55% of targets. Stop this backwards ass way of trying to blame Schaub. Our rookies underperformed. Let's hope they step up this year. They certainly have room to do so.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read