Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-06-2005   #81
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Here is better one per espn radio....$22 million w/8 million in guarantees through 2009.
Great job by Casserly. You are only going to pay him around 4 to 5 million a year. Very cap friendly...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #82
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the update 84!! This is great news!!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #83
LoNghoRn-TeXaN
Veteran

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2126946

Quote:
"It's a deal that is fair to both sides and the Texans, as usual, did it the right way," said agent Rick Smith. "[Texans] general manager Charley Casserly didn't have to do this. But they did the right thing and now, for five more years, they have an excellent tailback in his prime, and at a price that works for everyone."

Indeed, the Texans could have paid Davis his $380,000 salary for this year and then likely retained him for 2006 by using a first-round restricted qualifying offer on him. Such a qualifying offer probably would have been enough to scare off any teams that might have pursued Davis next spring as a restricted free agent.
This is what you call a First-class organization!!
LoNghoRn-TeXaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #84
stephen1
Veteran

good for domanick hes earned it
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #85
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, I like the way our organization handles business. I also happy for DD...He surely has worked hard for us, and has done everything asked of him...

GO TEXANS
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #86
Paragon Blue
Veteran

sweet. Im looking forward to seeing Davis for many years to come!!!!!!

TEXANS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2005   #87
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodAa
Score looks like I'll finally have a jersey thats in use for more than 2 seasons!
Please tell me you didn't buy the Boselli the first year and Jermaine Lewisd the next year. Of course, I do feel for anyone who purchased a Sharper jersey last year. I bought two Jerseys. David Carr and Andre Johnson. MY next one is DD.
Old 08-07-2005   #88
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
Please tell me you didn't buy the Boselli the first year and Jermaine Lewisd the next year. Of course, I do feel for anyone who purchased a Sharper jersey last year. I bought two Jerseys. David Carr and Andre Johnson. MY next one is DD.
I have a basic jersey with no name. I am thinking of adding my name to it. In that way, I am guranteed to have a name that will never go to another team!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #89
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

whats the rush to sign DD to a long term deal? did the TO situation impact how teams deal, under the current collective bargining agreement, with star players? I've heard New England ended Richard Seymour's holdout by renegoiating an extension & Daunte Culpepper's current deal is under review.

the deal reflects not just DD's value to the Texans as several stated "he's earned it" but reflects the Texans have assets well contained & more a function of the current NFL players bylaws & contracts with agents and NFL owners.

as long as the Texans can continue to build without being tied to bad contracts I'm fine with it. however I really expected them to focus on PB, I believe that he is more valuable to the organizations future success.

"Buchanon has two years left on his contract but knows the Texans have a history of re-doing deals with one year left. In other words, if he plays well, he's going to be get millions." http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3291931
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #90
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
whats the rush to sign DD to a long term deal?
Cause if he has another 1000 yard season, his price goes up a few million.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 08-07-2005   #91
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Cause if he has another 1000 yard season, his price goes up a few million.
key word "if", what "if" he gets hurt? how much then? while he has been productive in his first two NFL seasons, he has an extensive history of injury's. also as a feature back of a expansion franchise he carried the ball a disproportionate number of times, with the addition of Morency and a more balanced offensive scheme its only 50/50 he pounds his way to a 3rd consecutive 1000 yd season.

don't take this wrong, I'm a big fan of Domanick Davis, but I'm also a realist. I'm happy for him. I just hope the Texans are able to keep signing key players they are in peril of losing or as you suggested overpaying if not prioritized correctly.

by that same thinking why wait for Phillip Buchanon to break out as a Texan before signing him to a market value, cap friendly extension & save more millions?
Old 08-07-2005   #92
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
I did buy a Sharper jersey. As a matter of fact I bought two, one home and one away. 55 was my number in high school, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with a Sharper jersey. We all know what happened there. Oh well, I'm still going to wear it and wear it proudly up here in Oklahoma. I might eventually remove Sharpers name and have mine added, but I haven't decided yet.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #93
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
key word "if", what "if" he gets hurt? how much then? while he has been productive in his first two NFL seasons, he has an extensive history of injury's. also as a feature back of a expansion franchise he carried the ball a disproportionate number of times, with the addition of Morency and a more balanced offensive scheme its only 50/50 he pounds his way to a 3rd consecutive 1000 yd season.
I understand and agree but with only about 2 million a year guaranteed you have to like the deal.

And Davis needs to fire his agent and hire me:
Lamont Jordan (1277 career rushing yards, 10 career TDs) signed for 27.5 million over 5 years
Domanick Davis (2219 career rushing yards, 21 career TDs) signed for 21.15 million over 5 years

That is why you have to love the deal.

Old 08-07-2005   #94
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
whats the rush to sign DD to a long term deal?
You answered your own question in the same post.
Quote:
"Buchanon has two years left on his contract but knows the Texans have a history of re-doing deals with one year left.
The Texas stated up front when they started this thing that they were going to try to sign our own guys more than have to dip into the over-priced FA market as a franchise model.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #95
beerlover
Site Contributor

I'm good with it if
  • Texans keep flexability
  • Texans keep both CB's
  • Texans forget drafting a RB 1st next year
  • DD stays healthy, lives long & prospers
Old 08-07-2005   #96
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, we are closing the holes now (i.e. rework the players we want to keep before their contract is over and a bidding war starts). Barring injury and just looking on paper.. I feel a replacement for Coleman,McKinny and either walker or payne is in line for next season's draft (or if wand doesn't pan out LT)

this opinion based on what I see on paper and am't of money/age these guys are being paid(except wand)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #97
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Can i name my new Sign in name as TexanshavegreatRBin05 !!!!!????
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #98
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans sign RB Davis to contract extension Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

HOUSTON (Aug. 7, 2005) -- The Houston Texans gave running back Domanick Davis a new five-year deal and a big raise, scrapping his league-minimum contract after two straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

Davis, a fourth-round draft pick in 2003, has 2,200 yards rushing and 21 touchdowns in two seasons. He was in the last year of a three-year contract that paid him $360,000 annually.

While financial terms of the new contract were not released, general manager Charlie Casserly said Davis was getting a substantial raise.

"We didn't feel it was appropriate for him to be playing for the league minimum," general manager Charley Casserly said. "This shows that if a player comes in and performs better than expected, we're willing to tear up the contract and pay him what he's worth. This puts him up there with the good starting running backs in the league."

Davis, 5-foot-9 and 221 pounds, rushed for 1,031 yards and eight touchdowns as a rookie and came back with 1,188 yards rushing and 13 TDs last season.

"I'm just real thankful," Davis said. "It's been a long hard road, and now I can take care of my family the way I want to. The monkey is off my back."

Coach Dom Capers was happy to hear the news.

"Domanick has earned that reward," Capers said. "It didn't take long for us to see that he had running vision and running ability. He's a good runner and a hard worker, and a lot of people don't realize he led the running backs in the AFC with 68 receptions."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/8713350
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #99
The Preacher
Veteran

Does anybody know how much of his contract goes towards this year's cap and how much it leaves for this year's cap? Just curious after all the rookies' cap hits and DD's how much room is left. I'm not sure if that info is out there but it would interesting to know. It would give us an idea on what kind of contract extensions we might be able to afford to max out the cap this year. Might as well pay some signing bonuses now before our half dozen all-pro's come calling next year and beyond for their payday.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #100
beerlover
Site Contributor

Davis gets a $5 million signing bonus and the same $380,000 base salary the minimum for a third-year player he was scheduled to make in his original contract.

Beginning in 2006, Davis' base salaries are $1.7 million, $3.34 million, $4.180 million and $4.55 million.

Davis will be paid a $1.2 million option bonus in March. He'll also receive an $800,000 roster bonus next year.

Davis' new contract takes up $1 million more in salary-cap space.

The $5 million signing bonus is spread over five years, and $1 million of it counts against the cap each year.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...texans/3299629

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read