Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DomDavis long-term contract $22 milion

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Per a news update from ESPN790 in Houston, the Texans have expressed interest to DomDavis in a long-term contract extension. No details as to amounts and Delotte(sp) inferred that it is not a guarantee that the deal will be done before the start of training camp.

8/6 upate per ESPNradio

$22 million w/8 million in guarantees through 2009.

Reddevil63

Veteran
Man, the people on here that dont think 1000 rushing yards and 600 receiving yards are enough from a back are gonna be upset :crying:

texasguy346

Mod Squad
Definately good news if we can get him signed to an extension. Hopefully we'll get it done before the season gets underway.

Blake

MMQB
This is the perfect time to sign him to a long term deal. I dont want him busting out with a 1300 yard ground, 500 yard recieving year, and have to pay him for it.

Of course there is TO, and ST players, who want a new contract after one year...

texasguy346

Mod Squad
TEXANS84 said:
Should we wait for confirmation from TexansneedRBin05?
Well that is the reason for the delay isn't it? I thought CC wanted to check with him first before submitting the contract to DD's agent. :rolleyes:

chuckm

Veteran
DC_ROCK said:
This is the perfect time to sign him to a long term deal. I dont want him busting out with a 1300 yard ground, 500 yard recieving year, and have to pay him for it.

Of course there is TO, and ST players, who want a new contract after one year...

so do the Texans sign him to a medium-priced long-term deal now and we hold our breath next off season if he has a huge year or not sign him long term and be glad when he's hurt for 1/4 of the year and fumbles 4 times in the first 2 games ...

keyfro

Veteran
good news...glad for DD...probably like a 4-5yr deal worth around 38 million...not like the portis or tomlinson 60 million but very nice chuck of change none the less

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
keyfro said:
good news...glad for DD...probably like a 4-5yr deal worth around 38 million...not like the portis or tomlinson 60 million but very nice chuck of change none the less
I'll take the under on that bet.

chuckm said:
so do the Texans sign him to a medium-priced long-term deal now and we hold our breath next off season if he has a huge year or not sign him long term and be glad when he's hurt for 1/4 of the year and fumbles 4 times in the first 2 games ...
No, you sign him now for a good but not elite contract and then when he has a solid or even break-out season you congratulate the management for being wise enough to put a bird in his hand now rather than five birds later.

Texan Spain

Practice Squad
I thought that the Texans had problems whit the salary cap, but I'll ask, with that money to DD, are going to came buckups or starters¿¿??

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Texan Spain said:
I thought that the Texans had problems whit the salary cap, but I'll ask, with that money to DD, are going to came buckups or starters¿¿??
Why would you say that? We don't have any cap issues.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Ok, after reflection as to my point-blank style I'll fix my post. Hopefully this one will come off better...
Texan Spain said:
LOL! Why would you say that? :drool: We don't have any cap issues. :bguitar:

ledzeppelin229

Hall of Fame
Vinny said:
Ok, after reflection as to my point-blank style I'll fix my post. Hopefully this one will come off better...

This place is going crazy...

Did you just now lowercase the A in "Admin" for added effect or was that already done?

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I accidentally cleared my title in the options screen and retyped it earlier today. Didn't even notice it till you brought it up. What would the "added effect" be?

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
No way do we sign him to a contract of more than $3 million a year, or so. If it's restructured this year, it'll be something like 4 years for $10 million with a $4 million dollar signing bonus. He only makes $700,000 now and won't make much more than that next year. A deal in the neighborhood of $10 million would be too much to pass up for a RB 2 years away from free agency... For precedent, look at what Travis Henry was signed to three years ago.

vtech9

All Pro
infantrycak said:
Hey Vinny, can you go ahead and set him up for TexansNeedRBin10?
well, if it is true and DD gets a long-term extension, TexansneedRBin05 essentially gets his wish. I mean if DD gets the deal, then the Texans got their RB in '05. Technically, it would just be an extension, but they still got their man. Be happy TexansneedRBin05, you got your wish...just not the RB you were hoping for. lol:

ledzeppelin229

Hall of Fame
Vinny said:
I accidentally cleared my title in the options screen and retyped it earlier today. Didn't even notice it till you brought it up. What would the "added effect" be?
Having the title of "admin" would seem less blunt than "Administrator"? I didn't notice though until the wacky post so that's the main reason I asked.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
infantrycak said:
Hey Vinny, can you go ahead and set him up for TexansNeedRBin10?
If DD signs the extension, he'll probably ask for TexansNeedGM. :)

Vinny said:

That's much better. Thanx.
Those smilies sure are magical huh.

wags

Veteran
Vinny said:
I'm happy for DD if he can get a nice bonus and some security. He has earned it.
So are you comfortable with him as the feature back now and five years down the road?

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I'm not sold on him as a long term feature back, but you don't have to be a great back to earn respect from the fan base. He works hard, is a good guy, and doesn't make excuses. Players don't have to be bad or great....there is a middle ground somewhere you know.

jr0ck

Waterboy
If DD signs the extension, he'll probably ask for TexansNeedGM.
i think thats giving 'ol (errr...young) TexansNeedRBin05 a little to much credit...i don't think he has that broad of perspective, if you will :rolleyes:

...Players don't have to be bad or great....there is a middle ground somewhere you know.
great post vin, i just wish that viewpoint was a requirement to register for this board :cool:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
TexansNeedRBin05 said:
Um whatever yall say he will endup hurt us in cap or getting cut so I am not worried. If cant get a RB this year can I reserve TexansneedRBin06?
FYI--your location is misspelled unless Texas added a new city.

ccdude730

Veteran
infantrycak said:
FYI--your location is misspelled unless Texas added a new city.
OUCH that was harsh...poor kid cant even spell his own city and is always getting picked on around here.

how i really feel: :highfive:
:heh:...but dont pick on me because i dont capitalize and punctuate properly all the time :)

maybe the offseason is what kills all the other message boards? the rams just suspended their message boards

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I just like the gesture on behalf of our organization. DD has made a case for himself to get an extension, and since we brought in another back from the draft, it should say alot to DD that the Texans want him to be the man.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
ccdude730 said:
OUCH that was harsh...poor kid cant even spell his own city and is always getting picked on around here.
Well that one wasn't actually meant to be harsh. I will poke fun at people for not knowing how to spell the names of guys they say are clearly superior to the Texans' players (I am pretty sure DD rushed for more yards on his first carry than Stanley and Herny have combined for in the league), but you have to figure he knows how to spell his own city and that was just a typo.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
clandestin said:
I've come to the conclusion that this time of year is the hardcore football fan's equivalent to PMS.

:goodbad:
Just think instead of three or four days, its three or four weeks :hairpull:

Vinny

shiny happy fan
SassyTexan said:
Thanks for the laugh V ....
You know, I said the EXACT same thing in the re-post (didn't change anything), but I put in what I consider feminine/young guy style posting features as sarcasm. I guess its ok if I post like a woman, but if I leave off the draperies and frill - I'm mean. I know you got a kick out of it. :cool:

JustBonee

Veteran
Vinny said:
You know, I said the EXACT same thing in the re-post (didn't change anything), but I put in what I consider feminine/young guy style posting features as sarcasm. I guess its ok if I post like a woman, but if I leave off the draperies and frill - I'm mean. I know you got a kick out of it. :cool:
I got a kick out of it because it was sooooooo un-Vinny. .. hehe.. Anyone who has followed you over the years knows your style and what is behind your words. Newbies will learn. :thumbup

Chance_C

All Pro
I got a kick out of it because it was sooooooo un-Vinny. .. hehe.. Anyone who has followed you over the years knows your style and what is behind your words. Newbies will learn.
Agreed. I got a good chuckle also. I think it is only good business to try to wrap DD up now. I'm with Vinny about the skepticism of annointing him our feature back. But as a fan (with a small amount of common sense), I recognize his accomplishments, and I appreciate them. Keep up the good work "Double D."

Doom Capers

Waterboy
I hope we do resign DD for a long term contract. I believe if he plays every game this year, he will be in the pro-bowl. In the red zone, DD is almost an automatic TD. He has sure hands and bounce off of defenders. I believe in the Miami game in 03 they called him the human bowling ball. If DD can stay healthy, this will be his year.

Doom Capers said:
I hope we do resign DD for a long term contract. I believe if he plays every game this year, he will be in the pro-bowl. In the red zone, DD is almost an automatic TD. He has sure hands and bounce off of defenders. I believe in the Miami game in 03 they called him the human bowling ball. If DD can stay healthy, this will be his year.
did DD even play in that game i thought mack was still our RB cause that was the first game of the season.....anyone know?

Veteran
DD had a couple of snaps... the most memorable run of his is when he absolutely ran over Zach Thomas for a 15 yard gain. I knew he'd be special after watching that.

I am all for signing him long term.

The Preacher

Waterboy
I remember in preseason last year how I was thinking he was simply going to be incredible. He probably had the worst start a back could have with the fumbles and then the minor injuries. By week 10 though he was regaining that form where it took more than one guy to bring him down, and he just battled every time he got the ball. Until he stays healthy a couple of years in a row I would hesitate to give him a huge contract. Definitely reward him now while the cap space is there but make the contract big on incentives. :twocents:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
TopTexanFan16 said:
did DD even play in that game i thought mack was still our RB cause that was the first game of the season.....anyone know?
Davis had 6 carries for 36 yards. Busted one off for 15 running over Zach Thomas and another guy on the way and averaged 4.0 ypc for the other carries. Mack averaged 3.3 ypc that day--whoohoo for the big back theory.

TEXANS84

Staff member
His run of his career was against Jacksonville. Spinning out of a tackle and hurdling someone on the ground, he picked up an additional 20 yards.

You can still see that run on the Texans multimedia page: Jaguars/Texans NFL Films.

keyfro

Veteran
not yet because they haven't actually agreed to a contract...these are just discussions...a new deal probably won't be met til the texans know whether or not verba or boulware are coming to town...boulware i seriously doubt is coming...i see him going to cleveland to be the guy there...they seriously need an OLB for the 3-4 defense and we don't...verba is a good possibility but as many here will tell you he's not that much better than what we have...so if both go to different teams then davis will get his 4-5 year deal with the money he deserves for being our best surprise pick of all our drafts so far