Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-31-2013   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Joseph healthy after 2 sports hernias

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...-after-hernias

Quote:
Johnathan Joseph was not healthy for much of the 2012 season.

Even with struggling through a groin injury for a large part of the season, Joseph managed to go to his second straight Pro Bowl. But according to the 29-year old cornerback, not only was a sore groin was slowing him down, but two sports hernias too.

"With the groin issues and everything behind me and the sports hernia on both sides, I had both those fixed," Joseph said Thursday. "Now I have more pop, more explosion with my legs. I can run all day again."
Was certainly not aware of this. Does explain Joseph's fall from grace last year.
Old 05-31-2013   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Joseph healthy after 2 sports hernias

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...-after-hernias

Was certainly not aware of this. Does explain Joseph's fall from grace last year.
At one point in time last season, I said that I was hoping he didn't have a "sports hernia" (more correctly referred to today as "Athletic pubalgia"). But what's really "strange," having been listed as "groin" on the Injury List week 14-17, it did not show up on the Report for the Wild Card week (illness) or Divisional Playoff week (not listed at all).

It's good that like B. Reed he had his hernias repaired. These surgeries have a high level of success........with quite consistent restoration of performance.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #3
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Good, now he can get back to locking down 1 side of the field so as to let Reed do what he does best... ballhawk in the intermediate,deep middle and other side of the field...prepare for the sophomore slump Mr. Andrew Luck.....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
But what's really "strange," having been listed as "groin" on the Injury List week 14-17, it did not show up on the Report for the Wild Card week (illness) or Divisional Playoff week (not listed at all).
Surely you wouldn't be suggesting that the Texans downplay, hide, and/or flat out lie about injuries, would you?
Old 05-31-2013   #5
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108546 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I had once dedicated this to Mario Williams, but Jonathan Joseph is clearly more deserving after struggling with twice the discomfort An ode to Jonathan Joseph
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I had once dedicated this to Mario Williams, but Jonathan Joseph is clearly more deserving after struggling with twice the discomfort An ode to Jonathan Joseph
That was hilarious.........didn't catch it the first time around! MSR!
Old 06-01-2013   #7
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

If J-Jo can return to his 2011 form this season then with K-Jax we will have one of the best cornerback tandems in the NFL.

I don't think there is any more doubt in Kareem as a fantastic NFL cornerback with a very high cieling. As good as he was last year, I expect him to take another stride and get even better this year.

Now if we can only work on that pass rush thingy...
Old 06-01-2013   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting J Jo back 100% will be huge for us.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

I believe that last year JJo was "picked" on by offenses due to his perceived "weakness. This year, with his expected return to his real self, I believe that KJ will likely be more tested by offenses than last year. If KJ maintains his stellar play of last year, in a very short period of time, offenses will have to flip coins as to from which side their lunch will eaten.
Old 06-01-2013   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe that last year JJo was "picked" on by offenses due to his perceived "weakness. This year, with his expected return to his real self, I believe that KJ will likely be more tested by offenses than last year. If KJ maintains his stellar play of last year, in a very short period of time, offenses will have to flip coins as to from which side their lunch will eaten.
They can always throw to their TEs or RBs if they want to.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #11
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Good, now he can get back to locking down 1 side of the field so as to let Reed do what he does best... ballhawk in the intermediate,deep middle and other side of the field...prepare for the sophomore slump Mr. Andrew Luck.....
The Dolts aren't worthy of mention here.
Old 06-01-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting that JJo & KJ were 22nd/77 & 19th/77 being targeted by opposing teams -- 92 & 94 targets, respectively.

PFF has a stat they keep called "Coverage Snaps per Reception" -- how many times the CB was the primary man in coverage relative to how many receptions he allowed.

KJ was 4th/77 at 14.4(higher is better). JJo was 52nd/77 at 9.6 ( in 2012, >50% snaps).
Old 06-01-2013   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Interesting that JJo & KJ were 22nd/77 & 19th/77 being targeted by opposing teams -- 92 & 94 targets, respectively.

PFF has a stat they keep called "Coverage Snaps per Reception" -- how many times the CB was the primary man in coverage relative to how many receptions he allowed.

KJ was 4th/77 at 14.4(higher is better). JJo was 52nd/77 at 9.6 ( in 2012, >50% snaps).
okay, I need further definition here....

that number means KJ allowed one catch for every 14.4 times his man was targeted...??
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
okay, I need further definition here....

that number means KJ allowed one catch for every 14.4 times his man was targeted...??
I wasn't clear -- it's actually a stat derived to produce another stat.

PFF determined that KJ was in coverage for 635 defensive snaps.

When KJ was the primary man in coverage, he gave up 44 receptions.

For reference: Sam Shields(16.3), Richard Sherman(14.8), Champ Bailey(14.6) are at the high end...

and Courtland Finnegan(7.4), Cassius Vaughn(7.2), Buster Skrine(6.6) at the bottom.

I likely should have used PFF's Yards Per Coverage Snap as a comparison tool, since that's what they used here:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/31/signature-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/

KJ was 13th/116 in YPCS in 2012 (>25% snaps) while JJo was 66th/116. JJo was 23rd/113 in 2011.

Champ Bailey(!) was at the top and Patrick Robinson was at the bottom in YPCS for CBs taking more than 300 snaps.
Old 06-01-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
For reference: Sam Shields(16.3), Richard Sherman(14.8), Champ Bailey(14.6) are at the high end...

Champ Bailey(!) was at the top and Patrick Robinson was at the bottom in YPCS for CBs taking more than 300 snaps.
I thought Champ Bailey was too old & losing a step?

& Chris Harris Jr was an UDFA 2 years ago.

I found this interesting......
Quote:
Last season marked the first time in the PFF era that a cornerback gave up more than 1,000 yards, as Tramon Williams (1,034) and Devin McCourty(1,004) both surpassed that number. This year two more joined the infamous club. Patrick Robinson (1,071) and DeAngelo Hall (1,045) gave up the two highest yardage totals we’ve ever seen. They weren’t completely inept though. Robinson allowed a catch rate of only 56%, and Hall allowed a quarterback rating against of only 90.8.
Old 06-01-2013   #16
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

well thank **** for that when peyton manning's throwing the ball to his offense, shame our boys never had chance to sig...oh ****...
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
well thank **** for that when peyton manning's throwing the ball to his offense, shame our boys never had chance to sig...oh ****...
Did you see Peyton throw that int in OT that pretty much ended his teams championship hopes?

6 in one hand dude.
Old 06-01-2013   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I thought Champ Bailey was too old & losing a step?
The man is a machine. Mad respect for Champ.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read