Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2013   #381
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
At the time, I'm sure that was true. No Ben Jones, someone has to play RG. Reporters are going to ask stupid questions, he answers the most economic way possible.

We'll see who the starting RG is come week one.

PreSeason may not tell us a lot either. Remember before 2010, Wade Smith played with the second group as much as the first. We didn't know he was our starting LG until Game 1.
TK, I think you are waaaaay off base.

Brooks is the starting RG. He'll be the starting RG.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #382
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I didn't try to find the quote but Kubiak said during OTAs that Brandon Brooks was the starting RG. When did that change? I haven't heard nor read about it.
Quote:
Brandon Brooks has been working with the first team since the beginning of OTAs.

But on Thursday, head coach Gary Kubiak confirmed that Brooks is the team's starting right guard, at least for now.

“He’s right there. That’s his," Kubiak said. "He’s got to line up every day and earn it. I think he worked through it last year and at the end of last year I think he was playing that way so I think he’s earned the opportunity to be that guy, so we’ll see if he can hang on.”

“It’s been really good. The biggest thing is any time you’ve got a young player and you say, OK, you’re a starter.’ The best thing you can have happen is that you don’t really notice him. And that’s kind of what’s happened," Kubiak said. "He went in there, he’s done his job. He understands what we’re doing now. He’s got the tools of a big-time player. So it will all just be up to him. He’s come a long way. I think he’s very comfortable in his own skin right now in what he’s doing and feeling good about himself.”
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...rg-brooks-lose
Old 06-11-2013   #383
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We started last season with Caldwell at RG & Butler at RT. When they both got hurt, our depth suddenly dissipated. Ben Jones surprised everyone & started early. However, like all young players struggled to maintain focus & perform at his best down after down, series after series.

The rotation had nothing to do with not being able to decide on who he wanted his RG or RT to be. It was about maintaining a level of consistency of play.

To me, it doesn't make sense to "waste" a year (2012) on getting one player ready. We know there's going to be a drop off when we bring a new player into the line, unless we get a blue chip player, which isn't going to happen [for one, we'll never select in the top 10 again, :fingers crossed:] then waste another (2013) year to bring someone in at LG. Get them both up to speed in 2012 & kick some doors in in 2013.

I think Ben Jones will be our RG, he did a good job at that position for a rookie. Brandon Brooks will be our LG.
Honestly, I don't agree with one thing you stated here. Caldwell and Jones were both getting time at RG before Caldwell's injury. Butler lost the RT job to Newton before Butler's injury. Harris was then signed and the rotation began shortly thereafter. I like Jones as our future center, but he was very bad while at RG so I'm not sure what you're watching.
Old 06-11-2013   #384
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Honestly, I don't agree with one thing you stated here. Caldwell and Jones were both getting time at RG before Caldwell's injury. Butler lost the RT job to Newton before Butler's injury. Harris was then signed and the rotation began shortly thereafter. I like Jones as our future center, but he was very bad while at RG so I'm not sure what you're watching.
I don't know if TK remembers, but that whole right side was up for competition all rhrough camp and pre season.

It had looked like Newton beat Butler out towards the end of pre season. I believe Butler got hurt playing with the back ups and guys that weren't going to make the team.

I don't ever remember guys being entrenched over there last season.
Old 06-11-2013   #385
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know if TK remembers, but that whole right side was up for competition all rhrough camp and pre season.

It had looked like Newton beat Butler out towards the end of pre season. I believe Butler got hurt playing with the back ups and guys that weren't going to make the team.

Yeah just like you and HOU stated. Butler got injured in the final preseason game but Newton was named the starter after the third game. It added up to being one horrible week for Butler. First you lose the starting job then you get injured.

Jones began splitting with Caldwell in week 2 after Kubiak stated he was not happy with the running production against the Dolphins in game 1.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #386
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Newton was named the starter after the 3rd preseason game. A week before Butler's torn tricep. But you're right, they were never really entrenched because they didn't play worth a crap. Hence the rotation.

Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on who was named as the starter for right tackle) “Yeah, I named (T Derek) Newton the starter this morning. Looking at the body of work, I think it was very, very close, as I told y’all all along. I think the thing that has moved this toward Newton is watching his progress, watching where he was the end of last year going to the offseason, going thru camp, watching him get better and better and better. Did a good job the other night. Young player that we think’s ascending. We know that there’s a lot of things he’s got to clean up, but we think he’s definitely committed to doing that, just like the way he’s progressed. So we’ll give him an opportunity to do it. Big responsibility but we think he’s ready for it.”
Old 06-11-2013   #387
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Not sure what you're talking about - I'm pretty certain Ben Jones fully participated in all OTA's
I'm pretty sure he's playing center with the second team.
Old 06-11-2013   #388
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At the time, I'm sure that was true. No Ben Jones, someone has to play RG. Reporters are going to ask stupid questions, he answers the most economic way possible.

We'll see who the starting RG is come week one.

PreSeason may not tell us a lot either. Remember before 2010, Wade Smith played with the second group as much as the first. We didn't know he was our starting LG until Game 1.
As Kubiak has discussed in quotes, Brandon Brooks working as starting RG throughout OTAs. Wade Smith on other side.

With vets being out today because they aren't doing on the field time during minicamp, Kubiak said nice things about Quessenberry after I asked a question about him. He is working at RT.

He said Brennan Williams had a knee clean out thing (non-specified but we knew that) and isn't expected before training camp. Really wants him to work on his conditioning.
Old 06-11-2013   #389
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because that's what they do in OTA's with the player they intend to be starting RG?
Old 06-11-2013   #390
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Because that's what they do in OTA's with the player they intend to be starting RG?
Why not, you've got your starting OLB playing Mo.......
Old 06-11-2013   #391
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jones was the scout team center much of last season ... also I was told that he played some center in the OTA's when the veterans were rested.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #392
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Why not, you've got your starting OLB playing Mo.......
Because of injuries/guys missing...

And also the fact that he could end up actually starting there. And they can afford to do that because he's gotten a lot of experience at OLB and they feel like if he has to go back there, he won't miss a beat.

The situation is completely different.
Old 06-11-2013   #393
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
As Kubiak has discussed in quotes, Brandon Brooks working as starting RG throughout OTAs. Wade Smith on other side.

With vets being out today because they aren't doing on the field time during minicamp, Kubiak said nice things about Quessenberry after I asked a question about him. He is working at RT.

He said Brennan Williams had a knee clean out thing (non-specified but we knew that) and isn't expected before training camp. Really wants him to work on his conditioning.
So the knee tweak that didn't need surgery ended up needing surgery?
Old 06-11-2013   #394
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Williams mentioned the clean out stuff last week. Kubiak confirmed today but was totally non-specific because he didn't know specifics.
Old 06-11-2013   #395
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Williams mentioned the clean out stuff last week. Kubiak confirmed today but was totally non-specific because he didn't know specifics.
sigh....this kind of stuff gets old. It's almost like Kubes is trying to be a baby Belichik. Just report what there is to report, especially at this time of year.
Old 06-11-2013   #396
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Remember, following the evaluation of Williams, Kubiak reported that his "injury which will not require surgery" and I posted that was skeptical of the extent of the injury, especially after he did not return quickly for OTAs? Logic and experience has primed me to anticipate situations just like this. My injury posts may appear cynical to some, but they are based on available facts and what the natural progression and realistic prognosis of the apparent injuries are most likely to be.........with a tincture of repeated "minor injuries, " minor surgeries," and "ahead of schedule" dancing in the back of my head.........at the same time trying to avoid the fool's paradise that I may want to experience as a fan.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #397
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

When a player earns all-conference honors from coaches in a league as talented as the ACC despite missing half of the season, it is pretty fair indication that NFL scouts should be paying attention.

That is precisely the scenario with UNC's Williams, who missed the final four games of his senior season with a torn labrum which required surgery but still managed to earn honorable mention accolades from league coaches.

Williams became a full-time starter last season as a junior in Chapel Hill and started the first eight games of the 2012 campaign. He finished his collegiate career with 22 career starts, all coming at right tackle.

Williams' father, Brent, had an 11-year NFL career (1986-1993) at defensive end, spending time with the New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks and New York Jets. Normally the recovery time from labrum surgery is anywhere from two-to-six months depending on the severity of the tear, which could potentially keep Williams out of some pre-draft workouts.

Blessed with great size and athleticism, Williams' injury may keep him from garnering the attention of other talented offensive tackles in the 2013 draft class from media but rest assured that NFL scouts know his name well and will be keeping close tabs on his recovery.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...ennan-williams
Clearly talented, but just as clearly injury-prone, getting healthy and then in condition to play appear to be a big challenge for this guy as we head towards the start of training-camp beginning late next month.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #398
Rey
Hall of Fame

I want to see Williams play. In college he was an amazing run blocker that looked to absolutely destroy opponents. Dude is nasty on the field.
Old 06-11-2013   #399
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Remember, following the evaluation of Williams, Kubiak reported that his "injury which will not require surgery" and I posted that was skeptical of the extent of the injury, especially after he did not return quickly for OTAs? Logic and experience has primed me to anticipate situations just like this. My injury posts may appear cynical to some, but they are based on available facts and what the natural progression and realistic prognosis of the apparent injuries are most likely to be.........with a tincture of repeated "minor injuries, " minor surgeries," and "ahead of schedule" dancing in the back of my head.........at the same time trying to avoid the fool's paradise that I may want to experience as a fan.
You just need to keep posting what you post, Dr. You're excellent at it and an absolute boon to Texans fans. If there was a "Most Important Fan" category, you'd be the perennial winner.

As a veteran of many surgeries, I definitely defer to the "only minor surgery is one you don't have" school of thought. I'm 43 and almost a cripple on some days.

God bless you for all you do, CND.
Old 06-16-2013   #400
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
... My injury posts may appear cynical to some, but they are based on available facts and what the natural progression and realistic prognosis of the apparent injuries are most likely to be.........with a tincture of repeated "minor injuries, " minor surgeries," and "ahead of schedule" dancing in the back of my head.........at the same time trying to avoid the fool's paradise that I may want to experience as a fan.
Quote:
You just need to keep posting what you post, Dr. ...
The above part should just be CNDs sig.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read