Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2013   #21
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
This was posted to the Texans site, it's a .doc file unfortunately so I'll c/p:
Thanks for the post! I normally read this at HT.com but it being provided here gives us good talking points.

I still cannot believe no one, including Schaub, has admitted to Schaub having a crippling painful injury that he played through during his poor stretch of performances at the end of the season. It's just crazy...or is it? Lol!
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #22
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
Sorry guys, Lightning struck in my neighborhood and knocked out everyone's connection. Just now got it back.

Will give you what I can.

Quote:
Roc Carmichael looked the best out of the DBs. All over the field breaking up passes. Good start for him. #Texans

Seem to remember Carmichael looking like Tarzan in past OTAs then looking like Jane on Ambien when it counted. Hope the Jungle is kinder to him this year.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #23
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 17553 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Seem to remember Carmichael looking like Tarzan in past OTAs then looking like Jane on Ambien when it counted. Hope the Jungle is kinder to him this year.
Agreed but for what it's worth CB's improve by seasons. KJax looked like a bust for the 1st 2 seasons but looks like a strength on our defense now.

Also, just incase anyone hasn't read Stephanie's article, i'd take a look.

OTA's Day 1 via Stephanie Stradley..

http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/20...eport-houston/

Quote:
The Texans tight end position looks excellent….wave after wave of TE do your job guys. It’s like they have some sort of tight end cloning technology. Rookie TE Ryan Griffin caught my eye in a few plays. I do not think that the offense will miss James Casey, though he may find himself in a better role with the Eagles.
&&&&&&

Patrick Starr..

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texa...day-one-recap/

Quote:
Sam Montgomery looked much better than this mini-camp debut a couple of weeks ago. He looked strong and more in tune with what the coaches were asking him to do. He showed his ability to dissect plays and had two quarterback sacks, if this was game speed. Montgomery has taken some big steps as an outside linebacker in less than two weeks. It should be fun to watch to see where he ends up by the end of training camp.
Quote:
Drafted rookie outside linebacker Trevardo Williams impressed on his first day of OTAs. He showed his ability to drop in space and today tipped a pass for a Brandon Harris interception. Williams looks like he can play the Sam or Will position for the Texans, and looks like he could be a good late pick for the Texans.
Both great articles.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #24
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Roc had some nice plays but I didn't personally think he looked like the best of the DBs.

At OTAs, we all have different vantage points and things we are focusing on. So we all notice different things--maybe more so than us noticing different things in games. The Texans have the good fortune of having everything on camera from various angles, and position coaches focusing on their guys.

I must go now. My daughter walked in and has asked me to put the dancing cow smilie on this reply. Later y'all.

Old 05-20-2013   #25
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm surprised this has not been mentioned:

Quote:
(on how he plans to handle the roster and depth chart at inside linebacker) “I think the most important thing right now is that we get these young guys in position to rep. (OLB) Brooks (Reed) is repping inside right now, so that lets (OLB) Sam (Montgomery) and (OLB) Trevardo (Williams) rep with the first and second groups and (OLB Bryan) Braman rep with the first group, so I think right the key is that we just get them all going. We can settle them down. Brooks can always move, but we wanted to make sure these young guys stayed in one spot so we could really evaluate them.”
Braman's not repping with the second group at all. Does that mean something, or is he just being used as a stand-in?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #26
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 17553 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I'm surprised this has not been mentioned:

Braman's not repping with the second group at all. Does that mean something, or is he just being used as a stand-in?
If Reed is ILB, then Mercilus and Braman are the only OLB's with game experience.

Trevardo Williams and Montgomery are both rookies, I doubt we should look into it that far yet.
Old 05-20-2013   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I still cannot believe no one, including Schaub, has admitted to Schaub having a crippling painful injury that he played through during his poor stretch of performances at the end of the season. It's just crazy...or is it? Lol!
Don't expect Schaub to ever mention any injury or pain as an excuse. He's played through a lot of injuries in his career and I don't think he's ever used them as excuses.

All you have to do is look at how he moved at the beginning of the season compared to how he moved at the end of the season. He did not appear to be planting at the end of the year like he was at the beginning of the year. Given the injury he'd suffered the year before, that's not surprising.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2013   #28
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
My OTA post should be up soon.

For better or worse, it has flavor.

UPDATE: It is live now:

Day 1 Texans 2013 OTA report: Houston is the windy city

Thought of a lot of you in the last bit in that post.
Your link doesn't work for me.
Old 05-20-2013   #29
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Your link doesn't work for me.
I linked her article, check mine and see if it works.
Old 05-21-2013   #30
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 966 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My OTA post should be up soon.

For better or worse, it has flavor.

UPDATE: It is live now:

Day 1 Texans 2013 OTA report: Houston is the windy city

Thought of a lot of you in the last bit in that post.
Good article, thanks for posting
jtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #31
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249737 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, there are better sources out there.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #32
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Really glad to hear that Sharpton is doing good, I did not think he would be as mobile as described. To me that is the best news out of everything I read.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #33
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Roc had some nice plays but I didn't personally think he looked like the best of the DBs.

At OTAs, we all have different vantage points and things we are focusing on. So we all notice different things--maybe more so than us noticing different things in games. The Texans have the good fortune of having everything on camera from various angles, and position coaches focusing on their guys.

I must go now. My daughter walked in and has asked me to put the dancing cow smilie on this reply. Later y'all.

Please keep an eye on Sharpton. If he is mobile and looks good he could wind up starting on day one and keep Reed on the outside IMO.
Old 05-21-2013   #34
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Really glad to hear that Sharpton is doing good, I did not think he have that level of mobility. To me that is the best news out of everything I read.
Early in OTAs, they do agility drills. If you didn't know he had a problem last year, you wouldn't know. He looked fine.

Of course, with all these guys, you can't tell how they will hold up until real game stuff.

Some injuries are unavoidable, but some players are able to play at a high level and not let injuries keep them off the field. It's the reason why older players aren't necessarily worse players than younger ones--if they've been able to stay in the league, maybe they may be better at maintaining their body than unproven guys.

The difficulty with this linebacker group both inside/out, is that there is little track record of these guys holding up with a lot of snaps. Some of it is just that they are noobs, but the two LBs with the most snaps for the Texans last year were Bradie James and Connor Barwin, both gone.

So just because the linebackers haven't held up in the past, or that there are new guys, doesn't mean they can't have a solid 2013. But they will certainly be tested because the Texans don't have a big NT that keeps the linebackers cleaner--they are required to clean up after the chances that the defensive line take to go after the QB.
Old 05-21-2013   #35
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Early in OTAs, they do agility drills. If you didn't know he had a problem last year, you wouldn't know. He looked fine.

Of course, with all these guys, you can't tell how they will hold up until real game stuff.

Some injuries are unavoidable, but some players are able to play at a high level and not let injuries keep them off the field. It's the reason why older players aren't necessarily worse players than younger ones--if they've been able to stay in the league, maybe they may be better at maintaining their body than unproven guys.

The difficulty with this linebacker group both inside/out, is that there is little track record of these guys holding up with a lot of snaps. Some of it is just that they are noobs, but the two LBs with the most snaps for the Texans last year were Bradie James and Connor Barwin, both gone.

So just because the linebackers haven't held up in the past, or that there are new guys, doesn't mean they can't have a solid 2013. But they will certainly be tested because the Texans don't have a big NT that keeps the linebackers cleaner--they are required to clean up after the chances that the defensive line take to go after the QB.
Really good post, thanks. I especially agree with your assessment in the last 2 paragraphs.
Old 05-21-2013   #36
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

This is still from Day 1 of OTA's..

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/s...tm_source=t.co

(From this article ^)
Quote:
second-year receiver Keshawn Martin may have made the single most impressive play of all — beating veteran safety Danieal Manning to the corner as he sped up the sideline on one long catch
Old 05-21-2013   #37
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249737 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ's first day impressions:

Musings from the Texans’ first day of OTAs

Quote:
I was excited to be back out at the Texans practice fields to watch some practice football. Don’t get me wrong, I know that we’re in May and that there are no starting positions won or lost in May. One element of OTAs that always fascinate me is the players weights since it will sometimes give you a glimpse of who is taking the offseason seriously and who might not be. Now keep in mind that some players will gain or lose weight according to what the team is looking for them to do. It is also worth noting that many of these players can see their weight fluctuate within the course of two to three weeks. Here is a look at which players were noticeably bigger and smaller at the start of OTAs this year versus where they were last year.

Who is bigger?
Who is smaller?
Random Musings
Old 05-21-2013   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

That was my favorite read about yesterday.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #39
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Hopkins said he bruised his knee in his collision with Harris. Said he missed 5 plays and is fine.

Kubiak says B. Harris is doing ok after colliding with Hopkins over the middle. Trainers worked on Harris for a few min B4 he walked off.

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Kubiak said after practice that DeAndre Hopkins was fine after collision. He completed practice. Looked fine after.
Old 05-21-2013   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

PDS ‏@PatDStat

QBs had an overall rough day. Poor center to QB exchanges. Some work to be done. #Texans

Rookie ILB Ja'Gared Davis had a nice interception of a tipped pass today. #Texans

DeAndre Hopkins looks so confident catching the football. Makes one handed catches look so easy. #Texans

Jeff Maehl has been probably one of the most consistent WRs to this point. Has caught everything thrown his way. #Texans

Brooks Reed's transition to the inside is interesting. Seems very natural for him. Cushing was coaching him up today. #Texans

Rookie cornerback A.J. Bouye keeps making plays on the field. Did it in rookie mini camp and now first 2 days of OTAs One to watch. #Texans

Watched Jared Crick closer today. Built better now for the run, probably will help at NT in a pinch. Overall strength has improved. #Texans

Stephen McGee threw the ball well today. Yates and Keenum had their moments. Position battle to watch. #Texans

Ryan Griffin took advantage of his time today. Big target and caught some tough passes today, few drops, but best he has looked. #Texans

Couple things from today. Keshawn Martin had a nice day. Ran sharp routes and caught the ball well. #Texans

Last edited by Playoffs; 05-21-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read