Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-28-2013   #221
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
By now, you all should be aware that a strain is a degree of “tear.” I would expect that the extent of the tear will be defined shortly with an MRI. Also, as you should all know, muscle tear recoveries are not always predictable. The best to be hoped for is a Class I tear, where the muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibers. Full recovery typically takes approximately two weeks, because you want to rest the muscle and not try to stretch it while it continues to try to shorten (spasm). A grade II calf strain means that there is a partial tearing of muscle fibers. Full recovery typically is more prolonged and takes approximately 4-8 weeks. With a Grade III calf strain, considered a very severe strain, there is a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibers in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in rare instances, surgery may be needed.

The Texans have referred to this as a “calf strain” and therefore, technically, you would assume that this was not just a simple short-lived spasm as seen in dehydration or deficiency states involving elements such as calcium or magnesium.

The problem with calf tears, like with most muscle tears, only somewhat moreso with this muscle group (gastrocnemius muscles and sometimes the soleus muscle), especially with not enough rest and rehab, is re-injury. In fact some sources note as high as 40% can result in re-injury to the same calf......or the other. And, of course as we all know, without proper healing time, compensatory injuries to other structures are also possible. Hopefully, tomorrow we get good news, and whatever the extent of the injury, Foster will be handled more conservatively and wisely than before with his hamstring injury(ies)....especially since a re-injured calf tear can become more of a very long-term chronic problem than with a hamstring re-injury.

[As one last note for completeness, due to the proximity/attachment of the calf muscles into the Achilles tendon, Achilles tendonitis can sometimes share some of the presentation seen with calf strains.....this should be able to be distinguished through the MRI imaging study.]

Believe it or not, my intent on this board is not ever to "scare," but only to inform. Over the years, I have been very impressed with the knowledge base that you have all retained and have also quite impressively been able to begin to recognize that injuries when they do occur are always "scarey"......especially when answers are not readily immediately available.
Thank you for your info as always Doc!

At least he got off from cart and walked off from training site tells me it is likely that his injury is Grade 1 or in worst case Grade 2(not likely) right? I injured calf myself and it hurts like heck when injured but later, I was able to walk off with a little limp. Like you mentioned on Grade 1 injury, I was OK in a few weeks.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #222
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Believe it or not, my intent on this board is not ever to "scare," but only to inform. Over the years, I have been very impressed with the knowledge base that you have all retained and have also quite impressively been able to begin to recognize that injuries when they do occur are always "scarey"......especially when answers are not readily immediately available.
You bring medical reality to what would otherwise be obfuscation and misleading statements from insiders. It is well appreciated.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #223
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

SOTT: Texans OTAs: Day Four Recap

Quote:
Heading into week two and OTA #4 for the Houston Texans, all of the news centered around the exit of one key offensive starter during practice.

The Memorial day weekend, the Texans heat and humidity set some players back during practice, mainly the younger players. It was a sluggish practice that had it’s moments of good football being displayed, but it’s only OTAs and everything is not going to be perfect...
Old 05-28-2013   #224
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

RT, OLB and the second safety spot concern me the most. ILB not so much since we will still have Cushing near him. OLB seems to be the thinner position at the moment with Barwin going away and Reed taking reps at ILB. The other safety spot (ie not Manning) is currently our choice between a recovering Reed and a rookie Swearinger.
Old 05-28-2013   #225
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian Foster injury nothing compared to DeAndre Hopkins' harsh schooling in Texans pressure cooker

Quote:
Organized Team Activities — the NFL's version of unofficial spring practice — has a way of growing monotonous. It's still a long, long way till the season, the weather's already hot (at least in Texas) and little that happens is going to truly decide who wins the few jobs really available.

Under this environment, things like a minor calf injury to a star like Arian Foster can blow up (at least briefly) on Twitter and in the news cycle.

But while Foster getting carted away from the practice field (with a strain) on the first day after Memorial Day Weekend figures to be forgotten by training camp, other largely overlooked scenes will live on and leave an impact long into the season. Like Johnathan Joseph taking buzzed-over first round draft pick DeAndre Hopkins to school.

"He gets a little mad when he doesn't make a play. That's good."

It's been apparent to anyone who's watched recent practices. When Joseph finds himself covering Hopkins in a drill, the intensity level ratchets up and the veteran Pro Bowl cornerback gives no quarter.

There's Joseph stepping in at the last moment to break up a sure completion to Hopkins on a slant, flashing a smile as the rest of the Texans defensive backs erupt in hoots and hollers.

There's Joseph matching the rookie stride-for-stride down the field and denying him from hauling in a long bomb.

There's Hopkins getting enough separation to catch a deep pass on Joseph.

No. 24 is pushing No. 10 and he's getting some push back too.

"I love those one-on-one battles," Joseph says. "It doesn't matter that it's practice or OTAs. There's no, it's only . . . It's not just practice. Every day is a competition.

"You have to win those one-on-ones to win games."
REST OF THE STORY
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #226
Victor B
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Victor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respected

The latest Z-Report

Quote:
About an hour into OTAs this afternoon and during the scrimmage portion of practice, Arian Foster came up lame after a play and had to be helped off the field while putting no pressure on his right foot. He had his leg iced from upper ankle to upper calf and media members at practice all played a guessing game about Foster’s injury.
Victor B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013   #227
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

So if I were to just show up tomorrow, I'd be able to watch all the festivities? Or do I need to buy a ticket?
Old 05-28-2013   #228
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor B View Post
And one of Lance's last ..... the Chomical has given Mr. Zierlein his walking papers effective July 1.
Old 05-28-2013   #229
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
And one of Lance's last ..... the Chomical has given Mr. Zierlein his walking papers effective July 1.
One of two writers from the Crapical that I still bother to read. One less reason to click.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #230
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whenever my friends and I discuss athletic injury news, I'm usually pretty good about predicting the diagnosis and recovery time. I tell them I have an inside line to a sports doctor.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #231
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They're eliminating half the reason I give them any traffic.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #232
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They are getting rid of their best NFL/Texans writer. Terrible. I bet a better opportunity opens up for Lance that will be better than the comical.
Old 05-29-2013   #233
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So if I were to just show up tomorrow, I'd be able to watch all the festivities? Or do I need to buy a ticket?
I thought only training camp is open to the public, not OTAs.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #234
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
Arian Foster left practice today with a "strained calf".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
linkage

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-calf-injury/

does not appear to be serious at the current moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Don't think that's usually a serious injury, not like a pulled groin or hammy ?
Quote:
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 5m
Andre Johnson on Arian Foster (calf): "I don’t think it’s anything serious. I think if it was, he would've said something."

Foster took the first handoff and took two steps and Immediately went off, good news for the #Texans it is a calf strain per Coach Kubiak.

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 19m
FWIW Arian Foster sat for a while watching practice with ice on calf before taking cart back to Reliant. No immediate cart off
soooo... this isn't just a sneaky way for Kubiak to get all those UDFA RBs more reps and/or get Tate more reps with the 1s...??
...it was just a thought....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #235
Tesuns
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respectedTesuns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And Chron is jacking our subscription prices.
Tesuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #236
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You would need a media pass.
Old 05-29-2013   #237
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
soooo... this isn't just a sneaky way for Kubiak to get all those UDFA RBs more reps and/or get Tate more reps with the 1s...??
...it was just a thought....
Ice would not be applied if simple muscle cramping/spasm were the case........heat would have been placed.

As far as sticking around for a while and watching on the bench, with a calf tear, immediate rest and ice wrap would be essentially the same for any Class of tear. There is not an emergency need to obtain the MRI or other further acute treatment. BTW, not to be accurately diagnosing the extent of Foster's specific injury, Class II tends to be the most common level of calf tears seen in NFL players. I doubt that the Texans would "manufacture' a scenario that would stir the pot and introduce artificial concern for their premiere RB. There would be too many other acceptable ways that they could offer the other RBs more play time, if that were their goal.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #238
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Injuries to running backs, even starter Foster, never worry me too much because they seem to always find another back to plug-in who can effectively run the ball. Now if you'd say something about Andre or JJ or Jonathon Joe or Duane B. getting injured, you'd make me anxious.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #239
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like he got it pretty good. I expect him to be ready by TC

Quote:
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 9m
Gary Kubiak says Arian Foster has "pretty good calf strain." He is on crutches right now, will not practice again until camp but will b fine
Old 05-29-2013   #240
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Will also note that before OTAs, apparently Lechler and Bullock have been working together on holds etc. Hopefully they've seen enough of Bullock to be cool going into the season.
Aggie network on display, folks
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read