Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bullocks Health

Insideop

All Pro
I don't know, him applying makeup to his inner thigh and tweeting a picture of it to fake a groin injury sounds a lot sketchier than just having an injury that kept him out the whole year.

I don't know, him applying makeup to his inner thigh and tweeting a picture of it to fake a groin injury sounds a lot sketchier than just having an injury that kept him out the whole year.

I know some pretty kinky girls. I'm just saying...

Bullock needs to show some power on those kicks because last year his distance left a little to be desired.

I don't know, him applying makeup to his inner thigh and tweeting a picture of it...

Great. Our kicker wears makeup. Don't let any of the other teams know about this. [IMGwidthsize=40]http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/toropalm.gif[/IMG]

Bullock needs to show some power on those kicks because last year his distance left a little to be desired.

wait what? His leg was light years stronger than Grahams. Just a touch less accurate. His kickoffs were BOMBS

wait what? His leg was light years stronger than Grahams. Just a touch less accurate. His kickoffs were BOMBS

I wouldn't say they were bombs. Of the 12 kickoffs Bullock had, only 6 made it past the goal line, deepest being 6 yards deep, and every single one of the 12 was returned.

I wouldn't say they were bombs. Of the 12 kickoffs Bullock had, only 6 made it past the goal line, deepest being 6 yards deep, and every single one of the 12 was returned.

Everything depends on whether the "strain" on 8/7/12 was part of the same groin issue that put him on the sidelines on 8/26/12 or not. I have to think it was the beginning of his end.

are those stats? where did you find them?
NFL gamebook.

Everything depends on whether the "strain" on 8/7/12 was part of the same groin issue that put him on the sidelines on 8/26/12 or not. I have to think it was the beginning of his end.

Considering that 4 of his 1st five KO's crossed the goal line while 5 of his last 7 didn't, there may be something to that.

Pretty sure he wasn't injured. We had an alright vet and a rookie that could use some time.

Pretty sure he wasn't injured. We had an alright vet and a rookie that could use some time.

Thigh.jpg

My specualtion is that he was hurt somewhat, not season ending type hurt, but enough to 'redshirt" him w/o too much league poking around.

From what I remember he had a minor injury very early on and then over time injured it even worse, resulting in his placement on IR. He tweeted a picture of it and looks just like muscle tear/pull would. Probably would explain his lack of power later on in preseason. Conspiracy averted. :swatter:

The picture he tweeted last year was consistent with an adductor muscle tear.....consistent with at least a significant Grade II tear (possibly Grade III).
grades.png

His 8/26/12 tear was simply an extension of his 8/7/12 tear.........in the same leg......his right kicking leg. He evidently tried to play through the initial injury and it worked out just as well as it did for Brooks Reed. These extension injuries, if not given adequate rest and rehab initially, notoriously and predictably extend and become recurrent and progressive over a period of months, even if then properly treated thereafter. An acute tear can easily become a chronic tear, one that can take 3-6 months of slow, careful rehab in order to safely return and stay on the field.

As far as pre-injury leg strength, in college, he was never known as a "boomer." He was known for his accuracy under 50yds. Nor was he ever truly in any significant number of games to prove a "clutch" reputation. In fact, as I see it, his "booming leg strength" label has been virtually manufactured and hyped by Kubiak and the Texans F.O.

Last edited:
As far as pre-injury leg strength, in college, he was never known as a "boomer." He was known for his accuracy under 50yds. Nor was he ever truly in any significant number of games to prove a "clutch" reputation. In fact, as I see it, his "booming leg strength" label has been virtually manufactured and hyped by Kubiak and the Texans F.O.

Sounds like a younger version of Shayne Graham.

Here's his senior stats again:

Kicking Logs
Date Opp FGM FGA XPM XPA 1-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ Long
9/4/2011 SMU 2 2 4 6 1-1 0-0 1-1 0-0 0-0 37
9/17/2011 Idaho 3 4 4 4 0-0 1-1 0-0 2-3 0-0 46
9/24/2011 OkSt 2 2 3 3 0-0 0-0 1-1 1-1 0-0 43
10/1/2011 @ Ark 1 1 5 5 0-0 1-1 0-0 0-0 0-0 23
10/8/2011 @ TxTch 1 1 6 6 0-0 0-0 0-0 1-1 0-0 45
10/15/2011 Baylor 2 2 7 7 0-0 0-0 1-1 1-1 0-0 47
10/22/2011 @ IaSt 4 4 3 3 0-0 2-2 0-0 2-2 0-0 47
10/29/2011 Mizzou 1 1 4 4 0-0 0-0 1-1 0-0 0-0 35
11/5/2011 @ Okla 1 3 2 2 0-0 0-0 0-1 1-2 0-0 43
11/12/2011 @ KanSt 3 4 5 5 1-1 1-1 0-0 1-1 0-1 42
11/19/2011 Kansas 1 1 8 8 0-0 1-1 0-0 0-0 0-0 28
11/24/2011 Tex 4 4 1 1 0-0 1-1 1-1 1-1 1-1 52
12/31/2011 @ NW 4 4 3 3 0-0 1-1 1-1 2-2 0-0 47

Exactly two attempts over 50 yds and he was 1 of 2. 87.9 Percentage isn't too shabby though.

The picture he tweeted last year was consistent with an adductor muscle tear.....consistent with at least a significant Grade II tear (possibly Grade III).
grades.png

His 8/26/12 tear was simply an extension of his 8/7/12 tear.........in the same leg......his right kicking leg. He evidently tried to play through the initial injury and it worked out just as well as it did for Brooks Reed. These extension injuries, if not given adequate rest and rehab initially, notoriously and predictably extend and become recurrent and progressive over a period of months, even if then properly treated thereafter. An acute tear can easily become a chronic tear, one that can take 3-6 months of slow, careful rehab in order to safely return and stay on the field.

Doc, is this type of injury the kind that, once you have it and with the position he plays, he will be more susceptible to have it reoccur?

As for the "booming leg strength" label, didn't Marciano and some of the scouts go to College Station and have him work out for them during his Pro-Day? I remember reading something about them being impressed with Bullock and maybe that's where the "booming leg strength" thing came from. Whatever the case may be he had better have an outstanding season for the Texans because I don't see another Kicker signed on the roster.

Doc, is this type of injury the kind that, once you have it and with the position he plays, he will be more susceptible to have it reoccur?

As for the "booming leg strength" label, didn't Marciano and some of the scouts go to College Station and have him work out for them during his Pro-Day? I remember reading something about them being impressed with Bullock and maybe that's where the "booming leg strength" thing came from. Whatever the case may be he had better have an outstanding season for the Texans because I don't see another Kicker signed on the roster.

This is similar to the concerns you have with a significant hamstring tear. In many cases, once healed, that may be the end of it. In other cases, they may become a recurrent problem. In a kicker with a soccer style (swinging the leg to the inside), instead of basically placing all of the stress on the quad......a very large muscle group.......as in a traditional straight up kicking motion, major stress is placed on the adductor muscle.........a relatively much smaller muscle group. Therefore, there will always be a greater concern for re-injury of that muscle group in a kicker's kicking leg, and especially in a kicker of Bullock's style. Hopefully concern does not translate into reality.:texflag:

I still don't get the "we drafted him because of his strong mind" when big legged Greg Zuerlein was out there.

I still don't get the "we drafted him because of his strong mind" when big legged Greg Zuerlein was out there.

Exactly. "Strong mind"???? Sebastian Janokowski's wonderlic score of 9 must have made him a "melted cheese mind," but his leg evidently did a good job of making up for it..........evidently..........

Back