Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-13-2013   #41
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 282262 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re. Keenum......"Doubt him at your own risk"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
And they need to stay that way because that's the best chance this team has right now.

Battle for #2? Bring it on. I hope Case is up for the challenge because frankly, I don't think it would take much to move past Yates. If he can't beat out TJ then he's probably got no chance in this league.
I completely agree. Doesn't mean I have to like it though. For now none of the QBs going into camp are worthy of starting over Schaub.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #42
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Orange bloods and VY and red bloods and Keenum.

Keenum will NEVER be a starting QB in the NFL
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
This writer was the same guy who wrote this:

Texans will rue the night they took Pizza Boy J.J. Watt over Nick Fairley, Houston lover

Which may be the worst post-draft article ever ever written. Can't say I'm a fan of any of his NFL writing, which is appears to be written to provoke a response. Like this one.
wow...pure freakin' garbage of an article.

Folks in this forum would have done a much better job at a much better price.

Selection 1.11: JJ Watt DE Wisconson
Old 05-13-2013   #44
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 9943 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I completely agree. Doesn't mean I have to like it though. For now none of the QBs going into camp are worthy of starting over Schaub.
I hope Keenum develops, because Yates looks increasingly like he is tapped out. Just has not shown anything that makes me believe he can be something good, let alone special. Schaub.... while I believe we can with the SB with Schaub, he sure as hell will NOT make it easier on us IMHO. If we win the SB, it will be in spite of Schaub.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #45
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 132729 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
I hope Keenum develops, because Yates looks increasingly like he is tapped out. Just has not shown anything that makes me believe he can be something good, let alone special. Schaub.... while I believe we can with the SB with Schaub, he sure as hell will NOT make it easier on us IMHO. If we win the SB, it will be in spite of Schaub.
So let me get this straight the guy that has started 5 regular season games, won a playoff game, and has been our #2 QB for 2 years now looks "tapped out" but the guy that every team passed over multiple times and can't beat out the guy that is "tapped out" is the one you hope develops?

This must be based on their ability to sit on the bench and carry a clip board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #46
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 9943 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
So let me get this straight the guy that has started 5 regular season games, won a playoff game, and has been our #2 QB for 2 years now looks "tapped out" but the guy that every team passed over multiple times and can't beat out the guy that is "tapped out" is the one you hope develops?

This must be based on their ability to sit on the bench and carry a clip board.
I understand you dislike my opinion, but no need to be snarky about it. As for your argument, what the hell does it even mean? Foster was undrafted. I am sure though that because sooo many teams passed on him, he would never amount to crap amirite? Oh wait... What about that Tony Romo guy. True he is not a Brees, or Brady, or Manning, but he is still much better than Schaub IMO. How about Harrison or Fletcher? You remember that guy Welker who tore us up when the Pats trounced us twice? Your argument is crap and holds no water. Yates has not shown enough improvement for me during last year's TC. He still looks lost and not aggressive. I watched a lot of Keenum UH games to know that the kid has talent and considering how bad Schaub stunk it up towards the end last season, I have completely lost faith in him being the QB to actually lead us to the SB.
Old 05-13-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
And they need to stay that way because that's the best chance this team has right now.

Battle for #2? Bring it on. I hope Case is up for the challenge because frankly, I don't think it would take much to move past Yates. If he can't beat out TJ then he's probably got no chance in this league.
How do we know that? Before the 2007 season, Schaub was in the same position Yates is in now. Sight unseen, we signed Schaub to be the starter of the Houston Texans. Kubiak has spent the last two years with Tj Yates, on the sidelines, in the film room, in the shower.... anyway.

For all we know, Kubiak may think Tj can start for this team. But until Schaub gets hurt, there's no reason to rock the boat.

Not that I beleive that, just saying we don't know.

I'd like to see our 2nd string OL play better than they did last season. Quessenbery, BenJones, Brennen Williams, they very well might. Tj is going to have some talent to throw the ball to in Lestar & Martin & Bonner, not to mention Ben Tate & Grimes in the backfield.

If he (Tj) looks like a man among boys, I'll stop worrying about Schaub playing 16+ games.
Old 05-13-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
What about that Tony Romo guy. True he is not a Brees, or Brady, or Manning, but he is still much better than Schaub IMO.

OT
I bet if Romo went to NewOrleans like Payton wanted, the Saints still would have won a Super Bowl. Romo isn't great, but he's not bad either. The guy is "predictable" enough that a decent coach/OC should be able to compensate. & Payton is pretty dang good at compensating.
Old 05-13-2013   #49
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

When is training camp??
...better yet, when is PreSeason.
It's T.J.'s third year in the league. He's now had two full off-seasons to burn the playbook into his brain. Let's see what he looks like this preseason.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #50
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
When is training camp??
...better yet, when is PreSeason.
It's T.J.'s third year in the league. He's now had two full off-seasons to burn the playbook into his brain. Let's see what he looks like this preseason.
OTAs: May 20-21, May 23, May 28-30, June 3-6
Mandatory minicamp: June 11-13
Training camp: July 26

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 05-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #51
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 132729 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand you dislike my opinion, but no need to be snarky about it. As for your argument, what the hell does it even mean? Foster was undrafted. I am sure though that because sooo many teams passed on him, he would never amount to crap amirite? Oh wait... What about that Tony Romo guy. True he is not a Brees, or Brady, or Manning, but he is still much better than Schaub IMO. How about Harrison or Fletcher? You remember that guy Welker who tore us up when the Pats trounced us twice? Your argument is crap and holds no water. Yates has not shown enough improvement for me during last year's TC. He still looks lost and not aggressive. I watched a lot of Keenum UH games to know that the kid has talent and considering how bad Schaub stunk it up towards the end last season, I have completely lost faith in him being the QB to actually lead us to the SB.
I'm questioning your flawed logic. No need to get all butt hurt about it. I personally don't give a damn who is the #1, #2, or #3 QB. I'm sure the coaching staff has a MUCH better insight into the situation than some blowhard on a message board.

You can't compare and undrafted RB to an undrafted QB. Totally different responsibilities. Totally different positions. But please go ahead and dazzle us all with how they're so similar.

Must be pretty tough to see Yates on bench behind Keenum's jock strap you're covering your eyes with. No one will argue that Schaub didn't stink it up but you sir/ma'am are showing your rear in this thread by comparing other undrafted positions to a QB. All based on what? A Kubes blurb saying the Practice Squad QB looked good w rookies and other PS players? Maybe he should have said we're in trouble. Schaub is garbage, lets skip this season.

Keep your day job buddy.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 05-13-2013   #52
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked what i saw in Case in college, and he never looked like the prototypical college QB to me like a leinart, or a carr. If i had to pick one guy who i thought could be the next brees my pick would be case.

I dont see why so many on here are so down on the kid, he has passion which sometimes is just as good if not better than all world talent.
Old 05-13-2013   #53
PapaL
Loose Screw

I don't think it's a "down on the kid" thing. I think it's more of a lets be realistic, he's the PS QB for a reason. What he did in college means NOTHING in this league. Is he a great underdog story? Absolutely! As long as he's a Texan I will wish nothing but the best for him but let's not anoint him #1 based on what he did in college and/or versus undrafted rookies and PS players in May.

He's not 6th round pick Tom Brady. He's Practice Squad, QB #3. Until, IF, that ever changes let's stop with the he should replace Yates and Schaub. We all know BOTH Yates and Schaub were hand picked guys and he's "NEVER" wrong about QBs.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2013   #54
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think it's a "down on the kid" thing. I think it's more of a lets be realistic, he's the PS QB for a reason. What he did in college means NOTHING in this league. Is he a great underdog story? Absolutely! As long as he's a Texan I will wish nothing but the best for him but let's not anoint him #1 based on what he did in college and/or versus undrafted rookies and PS players in May.

He's not 6th round pick Tom Brady. He's Practice Squad, QB #3. Until, IF, that ever changes let's stop with the he should replace Yates and Schaub. We all know BOTH Yates and Schaub were hand picked guys and he's "NEVER" wrong about QBs.
Not saying crown him the #1 just saying with his skill set and his passion for the game he has a chance is all i'm saying.
Old 05-13-2013   #55
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124814 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Kaep is 6'5", but both Brees and Wilson overcame height questions, which is one of the knocks on Keenum.
Geez.... I wasn't comparing all 4 with the same attribute (meaning just height). All 4 guys had other knocks against them such as they were also considered "system QB's". And yes Brees, Wilson and a couple of others have overcome height issues.
Old 05-13-2013   #56
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 282262 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The coaches say Keenum improved a lot over the off season. We'll all know in a few months if that is true or not. For any of us to say he either will or won't make something of himself in the NFL is premature. However I do think his "potential" is a hell of a lot higher than the other QBs we have.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #57
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
what the hell does it even mean? Foster was undrafted. I am sure though that because sooo many teams passed on him, he would never amount to crap amirite? Oh wait... What about that Tony Romo guy. True he is not a Brees, or Brady, or Manning, but he is still much better than Schaub IMO. How about Harrison or Fletcher? You remember that guy Welker who tore us up when the Pats trounced us twice? I watched a lot of Keenum UH games to know that the kid has talent.
i never understand when people start rattling off names of udfa's that turned into stars to back their reasoning for seeing something in a undrafted guy.. yea some have panned out, you named like 6 or 7 guys. but thats 6-7 guys over the last sum-odd years among thousands and thousands and thousands of udfas who have come and gone without a blip in the NFLs radar. you like keenum, fine, its just a cheap tactic to bring up proven guys to try and justify your case for a guy you like.. i could start rooting for every 6th round qb and make claims that he is really a stud and then when people disagree with me i can always throw out that "what about tom brady, 3x super bowl champ".. thats basically what youre doing..
Old 05-13-2013   #58
chenjy9
Veteran

Quote:
I'm questioning your flawed logic. No need to get all butt hurt about it. I personally don't give a damn who is the #1, #2, or #3 QB. I'm sure the coaching staff has a MUCH better insight into the situation than some blowhard on a message board.

How is my logic of flawed in hoping he develops because I have no faith in Schaub or Yates? Neither of them have proven they can carry our team when we need them to. I am simply hoping each time either of them played that they just don't mess up.

You can't compare and undrafted RB to an undrafted QB. Totally different responsibilities. Totally different positions. But please go ahead and dazzle us all with how they're so similar.

Might need new glasses sir. I also mentioned a few other positions.

Must be pretty tough to see Yates on bench behind Keenum's jock strap you're covering your eyes with. No one will argue that Schaub didn't stink it up but you sir/ma'am are showing your rear in this thread by comparing other undrafted positions to a QB. All based on what? A Kubes blurb saying the Practice Squad QB looked good w rookies and other PS players? Maybe he should have said we're in trouble. Schaub is garbage, lets skip this season.

Hey check out my post count and see how many posts I have about hoping Keenum take over. This is probably the first or second. My hope for Keenum comes from desperation for our QB position going into the future.

Keep your day job buddy.

While I know you are being sarcastic here, I will say thanks anyways. We all hope to keep our jobs.
Responded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
i never understand when people start rattling off names of udfa's that turned into stars to back their reasoning for seeing something in a undrafted guy.. yea some have panned out, you named like 6 or 7 guys. but thats 6-7 guys over the last sum-odd years among thousands and thousands and thousands of udfas who have come and gone without a blip in the NFLs radar. you like keenum, fine, its just a cheap tactic to bring up proven guys to try and justify your case for a guy you like.. i could start rooting for every 6th round qb and make claims that he is really a stud and then when people disagree with me i can always throw out that "what about tom brady, 3x super bowl champ".. thats basically what youre doing..
In my opinion it is a helluva lot smarter than automatically writing someone off simply because they went undrafted. Scouts being people as well, get things wrong too. Short of a precious few special talents, the entire draft is a gamble. You can never count someone out until they count themselves out. Yes people like Foster, Welker, Romo, Fletcher, Harrison, Thalmes (spelling?) are pipe dreams for every UDFA out there, but they exist and there is no reason to count someone else out because of the awful as crap reason that they went undrafted.

Also, not a huge Keenum fan. I have just given up on Schaub and not very hopeful on Yates.
Old 05-13-2013   #59
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am looking at it a bit different in that with this offense, especially a much improved Oline plus a solid WR 2, either MS or TJ will be successful. Certainly Matt is better than Yates and Yates better than Keenum but I want to see younger guys overtake vets. That is how we develop a dynasty.
Old 05-13-2013   #60
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes people like Foster, Welker, Romo, Fletcher, Harrison, Thalmes (spelling?) are pipe dreams for every UDFA out there...
OK, I'm stumped. Who does Thalmes play for? What position does he play?

Another outstanding UDFA was Antonio Gates.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read