Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rookie mini-camp

Rey

Listening to mark vandemeer on the radio...some notes:

-Keemun looks to have taken a huge jump. Shows great command and looks abundantly more comfortable and ready than last year. He really made a note of how well Keemun looked.

-Hopkins stands out as an obviously better player than everyone on the field. The way he runs routed, catches the ball and competes are at a different level than everyone else.

-Klein looks good. Coaches are pleased that he mentally retained information during ore practice meetings and applied it on the field.

-looks to be incredibly competitive with Undrafted free agents

Don't mind if I jump in..

Some insight from some tweeters that are there..

Kubiak: Thinks a great opportunity for one of the UDFA RBs to make team /number of guys looked like real deal guys at practice

Kubiak: After morn practice. RBs at rookie camp should be excited. "We have two on our team. There's an opportunity"

Texans rookie minicamp flash? Hopkins' catches. /bunch of media saying all in unison "Did you see that?"

One Hopkins catch looked like sure interception downfield on misthrown ball. Surprised he grabbed it. Also got one-hand catch behind him.

DeAndre Hopkins is a special player. Understands how to play the position. #Texans

Hopkins showed his hands off the entire day. Made a one handed catch that left me speechless bc it happen so fast.

#texans LB Sam Montgomery told me he tweaked his back during drills. Kubiak says he may sit out the afternoon session, Sam says he won't
LOL

All rookie draft picks were accounted for during mini camp.

D.J. Swearinger is a leader. Already directing traffic and is well put together player.

Alan Bonner is bigger in person than what I realized. He looks like he can play either inside or outside.

Brennan Williams is an athletic big right tackle who can move. He is one to watch.

Brennan Williams and David Quesseberry are the first guys you want off the charter bus.

Kubiak very impressed with DeAndre Hopkins. Also singled out Bonner. Said they know what they want to do w/ball before catching it. #Texans

Trevardo Williams showed why he is a edge rusher, can lean and get low. Has good closing speed.

Hopkins had some very impressive catches. A nice one handed catch early in the session. Stared down Swearinger after one.
CALM DOWN , GUYS! IT'S JUST PRACTICE! :D

Talked to Swearinger after practice and he said he was born to lead and looks forward to that role in Houston.

Swearinger and Hopkins both laughed after practice about this little rivalry they've got going.

Will add more but I think i'll space it out a little better :D

Tweeters are Patrick Starr, Stephanie Stradley, Marc Vandemeer, and Tania Ganguli.

If some of the returning players aren't motivated and ready to compete this offseason I'll be extremely disappointed. Martin, Jean, Pleasant, and Braman need to prove that they're capable of getting the job done. A lot of these rookies we've drafted or brought in have an edgy personallity. The vets need to match that intensity. Is it August yet?

From Nick..

Not sure how to post photos from twitter but here's Hopkins and Swearinger after practice..

https://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/332907866660941825/photo/1

BJ658N_CMAAjpxw.jpg

PDS @PatDStat

Jake Byrne stood out at tight end. Big target and Phillip Supernaw also looks like he has taken a step forward in development. #Texans
12:09 PM - 10 May 2013

Listening to mark vandemeer on the radio...some notes:

-Keemun looks to have taken a huge jump. Shows great command and looks abundantly more comfortable and ready than last year. He really made a note of how well Keemun looked.

-Hopkins stands out as an obviously better player than everyone on the field. The way he runs routed, catches the ball and competes are at a different level than everyone else.

-Klein looks good. Coaches are pleased that he mentally retained information during ore practice meetings and applied it on the field.

-looks to be incredibly competitive with Undrafted free agents
This supports Kubiak talking positively about Case Keenum. He and Klein need to play catch with Jean, Maehl, Martin & Bonner every day until TC.

When I watched Bonner on tapes; he looks like 6'0 or 6'1.
I wonder what his arm length is.

Just 30-1/4 (1/4 longer than Austin).

I don't know; that doesn't look right either.
Perhaps Kubiak had a spy to short-change all of his measurements, LOL!

HELL YEAH! Battle Red kool-aid -n- glasses time!

Thanks for the tweets Nate.

I figured you'd like it here if you ever checked it out. Too bad you missed the mock draft, you'd fit right in in the Mock Draft section.

NFL News ‏@LoyalNFLFans 50s Texans' third-rounder Montgomery tweaks back: Yahoo! Sports » Sam Montgomery's first practice as ...
#NFL #texans

Who's number 64? Looked way too fast to be a OL.
64 . . Johnson, Delano . . .OLB . . .6-4 . . . 280. . .25 . . . R . . . Bowie State

TRANSACTIONS: Signed with Houston Texans on May 14, 2012...signed the by Texans to Reserve/Future contracts on Jan. 24, 2013.
COLLEGE:
Racked up 219 tackles, six interceptions, 20 pass breakups, five forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries and five sacks in his career at Bowie State
Saw action in nine games a senior (eight starts) and racked up tackles (31 solo) including seven tackles-for-loss
Set school records in blocked kicks/punts for a season with seven in 2010 and career blocked kicks/punts with 11

DJ came from a small school where he registered 20 PBUs and 11 blocked kicks/punts.

He showed some flashes last PS.

I hope to see a little more of him this year.

Edit - I saw that Obsi just pulled up those numbers, too! :)

Back