Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2013   #1
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Foster redoubles his offseason conditioning, sets goals

Quote:
Texans running back Arian Foster has been off Twitter and largely off the radar this offseason. He has been busy training for what he views as a potential bounce-back year.

Ive just been relaxing, Foster said to FOX Sports Southwests Patti Smith on Saturday at his youth football camp in Pearland. Ive just been relaxing and working really hard. I think this has probably (been) one of my most intense training offseasons Ive had since Ive been in the NFL. I just want to bounce back. I didnt feel like I had the best season last year.

I set a lot of personal goals, a lot of things that I do, Foster said. I just didnt feel like I was at my best, and its gonna change this year.

Foster has been training with his older brother Abdul, a former track athlete with whom he has trained in the offseason for the last several years.

(Ive) just refocused and rededicated myself to another level, and hopefully it shows, Foster said. Im not traveling. Im not doing a lot. Im here in Houston and Im training.
Link

The key to maturity is wanting it, and Foster is a good example.

As much as I admire his assumption of the responsibility, he was not the weak link in the running game last year. His current commitment to pick up the slack is admirable and reflects well on him, but I hope he does not get demoralized if the rest of the line cannot produce well enough to reward his efforts. This is another reason why I think Brandon Brooks' conditioning is such an important factor in 2013.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster redoubles his offseason conditioning, sets goals

He's going about it the right way IMO. He's at the age where he can really push himself in the off season and still have juice for the regular season. Glad to hear he's rededicating himself. I'm expecting an awesome year from him this go round.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty awesome that a guy that rushed for 1400 yards and scored 17 TD is eligible for a "bounce back" year.

And, honestly, with the front office's focus on the run game and Foster's determination I could see it happening.

Remember the days of Wali Lundy? Ya...
Old 05-08-2013   #4
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 14915 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Hoping for the best because last year definitely wasn't as good as the year before when he was unstoppable.

For some reason i'm getting a bad feeling about this...
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #5
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 26769 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully training hard doesn't mean bulk up. Remember when Steve Slaton bulked up? Ah, those were the good days.
Old 05-08-2013   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Reinventing your game even when not required is stuff that creates true superstars. Something we all can do @ our own chosen profession while not superstars per say at least we can keep our jobs.

Actually think addition of Greg Jones as well improved OL play will also boost Arian Foster to a new plateau inline to compete with a
All Day Peterson.

Great Job @ keep up the hard work

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #7
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Hopefully training hard doesn't mean bulk up. Remember when Steve Slaton bulked up? Ah, those were the good days.
Remember when Steve Slaton could see a hole that was RIGHT THERE? Nah, me neither.
Old 05-08-2013   #8
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 26769 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
Remember when Steve Slaton could see a hole that was RIGHT THERE? Nah, me neither.
True, Slaton had terrible vision. He would just run straight forward and churn his legs and get as many yards as possible.

Foster has much better vision, but at the same time, he needs to realize he's not a power back. He's not Adrian Peterson. He makes his money from shaking off defenders and being elusive, not running someone over.
Old 05-08-2013   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
True, Slaton had terrible vision. He would just run straight forward and churn his legs and get as many yards as possible.

Foster has much better vision, but at the same time, he needs to realize he's not a power back. He's not Adrian Peterson. He makes his money from shaking off defenders and being elusive, not running someone over.
There's some irony in the fact that our 6'2" 230lbs RB excels in being elusive and not running over guys.
Old 05-08-2013   #10
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Pretty awesome that a guy that rushed for 1400 yards and scored 17 TD is eligible for a "bounce back" year.

And, honestly, with the front office's focus on the run game and Foster's determination I could see it happening.

Remember the days of Wali Lundy? Ya...
4.1 yards per run. That's how he wants to improve.
Old 05-08-2013   #11
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 13423 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
4.1 yards per run. That's how he wants to improve.
4.1 ypc on 351 carries is pretty respectable, it's just a testament to how dominant we've seen Foster as before.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #12
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
4.1 ypc on 351 carries is pretty respectable, it's just a testament to how dominant we've seen Foster as before.
I'd rather have 4.5+ and less carries, meaning we have a better passing game maybe?
Old 05-08-2013   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I am so glad we have Foster on our team. So very glad.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #14
Fili
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
i am so glad we have foster on our team. So very glad.
udfa ftw!
Old 05-08-2013   #15
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster doesn't really bulk up too much; He focuses on strength and conditioning.

It amazes me how nimble the dude is at 230 lbs. The way he eludes and deflects is like football judo. Not absorbing the normal amount of punishment will extend his career. He could end up as Houston's version of Emmitt Smith.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year he just didn't look as dedicated as the previous year. He didn't keep his legs driving after contact and he didn't seem to have that little extra burst to get the extra yard or two. He seemed to go down immediately after contact.

Hopefully he will all change back to 2011 form with his new found commitment and the OL getting better.
Old 05-09-2013   #17
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

The O-line as a group should be the ones redoubling their efforts and hopefully they can solidify into a cohesive unit. Along with Foster's efforts we could see a return to the running game of 2011.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 55166 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

QUOTE=Wolf6151;2162556]The O-line as a group should be the ones redoubling their efforts and hopefully they can solidify into a cohesive unit. Along with Foster's efforts we could see a return to the running game of 2011.[/quote][
Old 05-09-2013   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I felt Foster's vision declined last season. He missed alot cutbacks throughout the year, cut backs that he was hitting at full speed the year before. If there is anything for him to improve on, that's what it would be or me.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me like Foster wasn't trying hard enough last year...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read