Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 05-04-2013   #1
nate4l1f3
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 nate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anyone making the trip to KC?

My best friend is a Chiefs fans and we plan on taking a road trip to KC this year. I know its REAL early but i was wondering if anyone is going or if anyone has made the trip before and has tips/advice for us
nate4l1f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #2
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone making the trip to KC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate4l1f3 View Post
My best friend is a Chiefs fans and we plan on taking a road trip to KC this year. I know its REAL early but i was wondering if anyone is going or if anyone has made the trip before and has tips/advice for us
There are a bunch of us going. If you have facebook we have a page set up to discuss trips-it's call the Travelin' Texans.

We post all kinds of meet ups etc there. I'll be driving up with a friend who's also a Chiefs fan. My drive is just shorter only 2 1/2 hours.
Old 05-10-2013   #3
nate4l1f3
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 nate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respectednate4l1f3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
There are a bunch of us going. If you have facebook we have a page set up to discuss trips-it's call the Travelin' Texans.

We post all kinds of meet ups etc there. I'll be driving up with a friend who's also a Chiefs fan. My drive is just shorter only 2 1/2 hours.
o ok cool, I'm not really on facebook but i will check it out, thanks!!

We're in our mid 20's and planned on maybe hitting some bars/clubs, besides the game itself how is the night life?
Old 05-21-2013   #4
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Make sure and try their BBQ....supposed to be better than Texas
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #5
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 3280 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
That's a damn lie
Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I live up in KC and I'll be at the game with a group of Texan fans. Not sure which lot we'll be in this early, but we'll be there.
Old 05-21-2013   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
o ok cool, I'm not really on facebook but i will check it out, thanks!!

We're in our mid 20's and planned on maybe hitting some bars/clubs, besides the game itself how is the night life?
My group is about the same. Depending on where in KC you're staying (KCK vs KCMO) I can offer you different suggestions. If you're looking for clubs and dancing, you'll want to stick to Power & Light which is right downtown, across from the Spring Center. You can move a bit South and hit the Westport district and still get some really hopping bars but the crowd is less dressed up. If you hit P&L, you're looking your best and not looking to come home alone. Still easy enough in Westport but those are the main two our age group hits primarily. After that, you can keep going south to Brookside and further South to Waldo. Those are more relaxed bars that tend to be early 30 crowd. Still fun, you just have to know what you're walking into. If you stay in KCK, One Block South is a fun district but it's pretty isolated.

My best advice is to stay in a hotel downtown or in the Westport area. Don't go North of the river. P&L, make sure you look nice and bring more cash than you think you need.

The BBQ is pretty good here, but it's not better than home. KC is primarily pulled pork. The sauces are what they're known for up here. You shouldn't really mess with the brisket or smoked sausage as the people up here just don't know how to cook them. My favorite place is Jack Stack followed by Oklahoma Joes. If you do the original OkJoes, call ahead or wait up to an hour. The z-man at OkJoes is the most popular and their burnt ends are good too.

Anything else and I'll do my best to check this thread and answer questions.
Old 05-21-2013   #8
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Usually we get someone to head up the plans in the city we are traveling to (anyone??) to make reservations at a bar or figure out meet up spots for both Saturday and Sunday prior to the game. I know there are a bunch of people going, some of them are folks I've met at other away games. Also, Texans Chick will post any plans on her blog the week prior so a lot of people show up-plus we sometimes get reporters from back home to show up. I know in Baltimore someone from the Texans did show up and had bling to hand out.

As it gets closer keep a watch out. YoungTexan-since you are in town maybe you can hook up the plans or we can use you to get things rolling. Any thoughts?

As I said earlier we also have a Facebook page that we discuss trips and make plans.
Old 05-22-2013   #9
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Usually we get someone to head up the plans in the city we are traveling to (anyone??) to make reservations at a bar or figure out meet up spots for both Saturday and Sunday prior to the game. I know there are a bunch of people going, some of them are folks I've met at other away games. Also, Texans Chick will post any plans on her blog the week prior so a lot of people show up-plus we sometimes get reporters from back home to show up. I know in Baltimore someone from the Texans did show up and had bling to hand out.

As it gets closer keep a watch out. YoungTexan-since you are in town maybe you can hook up the plans or we can use you to get things rolling. Any thoughts?

As I said earlier we also have a Facebook page that we discuss trips and make plans.
I can make suggestions as needed, but I'll be at the game not at a bar. It's tough to make a broad suggestion without knowing the demographics. I wouldn't send the 50+ crowd the same place I send the 25-30 crowd.

Also, the people up here have ruined the national anthem, so just know that ahead of time. Very few things piss me off faster than going to any sporting event in the KC area, even KU basketball games, because of these obnoxious fans.
Old 05-23-2013   #10
nate4l1f3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
My group is about the same. Depending on where in KC you're staying (KCK vs KCMO) I can offer you different suggestions. If you're looking for clubs and dancing, you'll want to stick to Power & Light which is right downtown, across from the Spring Center. You can move a bit South and hit the Westport district and still get some really hopping bars but the crowd is less dressed up. If you hit P&L, you're looking your best and not looking to come home alone. Still easy enough in Westport but those are the main two our age group hits primarily. After that, you can keep going south to Brookside and further South to Waldo. Those are more relaxed bars that tend to be early 30 crowd. Still fun, you just have to know what you're walking into. If you stay in KCK, One Block South is a fun district but it's pretty isolated.

My best advice is to stay in a hotel downtown or in the Westport area. Don't go North of the river. P&L, make sure you look nice and bring more cash than you think you need.

The BBQ is pretty good here, but it's not better than home. KC is primarily pulled pork. The sauces are what they're known for up here. You shouldn't really mess with the brisket or smoked sausage as the people up here just don't know how to cook them. My favorite place is Jack Stack followed by Oklahoma Joes. If you do the original OkJoes, call ahead or wait up to an hour. The z-man at OkJoes is the most popular and their burnt ends are good too.

Anything else and I'll do my best to check this thread and answer questions.
PROPS! Seems like the two BBQ places you mentioned are the most popular, so i think we have the BBQ figured out. We've gotten mixed opinions on the club scene. P&L seems like a safe choice but i had someone refer to it as more of a bar scene and and little "upscale". How mixed is KC as far as race? My friend is black and my brother and I are White/Hispanic. We want to feel comfortable wherever we go so i mixed crowd is preferred if POSSIBLE. A place with a mix of top 40 and hip hop music would be perfect! FYI we can pretty much fit in anywhere though, and can dress to impress if needed
Old 05-26-2013   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
PROPS! Seems like the two BBQ places you mentioned are the most popular, so i think we have the BBQ figured out. We've gotten mixed opinions on the club scene. P&L seems like a safe choice but i had someone refer to it as more of a bar scene and and little "upscale". How mixed is KC as far as race? My friend is black and my brother and I are White/Hispanic. We want to feel comfortable wherever we go so i mixed crowd is preferred if POSSIBLE. A place with a mix of top 40 and hip hop music would be perfect! FYI we can pretty much fit in anywhere though, and can dress to impress if needed
If you go to Oklahoma Joes and didn't call in your order, you could be waiting around an hour for food. It's that popular.

P&L sounds like your type of place. There aren't any race type issues here, nor should there be anywhere. Just be a good person, and that will get you by. While P&L does have some "bars" it is the closest you'll get to a district. There are some random clubs scattered through midtown especially, but if you don't like it there, you have to cab somewhere else. The main few bar districts make it easy for you to find what atmosphere you're looking for.
Old 05-26-2013   #12
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I can make suggestions as needed, but I'll be at the game not at a bar. It's tough to make a broad suggestion without knowing the demographics. I wouldn't send the 50+ crowd the same place I send the 25-30 crowd.

Also, the people up here have ruined the national anthem, so just know that ahead of time. Very few things piss me off faster than going to any sporting event in the KC area, even KU basketball games, because of these obnoxious fans.
We'll all be at the game also. I was talking about meeting up for drinks as a big Texans group on Saturday night-then meeting up to tailgate, etc before the game. We will have Texans fans from across the board, age wise, but we will meet anywhere there is a group of fans meeting. Also, we've started trying to find a place in each city where we can take a picture will all the Texans fans that are at the game (in Chicago it was at the Bean, at New England it was near Paul Revere's statue). Is there someplace like that in KC?
Old 05-27-2013   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw some $24 tickets at Cheaptickets.com in case anybody is interested.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I saw some $24 tickets at Cheaptickets.com in case anybody is interested.
I didn't even know they were available yet, but that cheap wouldn't surprise me. The Chiefs are terrible.
Old 05-27-2013   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We'll all be at the game also. I was talking about meeting up for drinks as a big Texans group on Saturday night-then meeting up to tailgate, etc before the game. We will have Texans fans from across the board, age wise, but we will meet anywhere there is a group of fans meeting. Also, we've started trying to find a place in each city where we can take a picture will all the Texans fans that are at the game (in Chicago it was at the Bean, at New England it was near Paul Revere's statue). Is there someplace like that in KC?
It's called the City of Fountains but I can't think of cool monument off the top of my head. There is a giant shuttle-**** on the lawn in front of the Nelson-Adkins museum, but I wouldn't exactly call that special.
Old 05-27-2013   #16
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 13222 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
If you like flavorless meat drowning in sugary BBQ sauce them you'll like it. I've been there and plan on going back for this game and I thought their BBQ was a joke compared to ours.
Old 07-05-2013   #17
Pats
Rookie

Rep Power: 694 Pats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
If you like flavorless meat drowning in sugary BBQ sauce them you'll like it. I've been there and plan on going back for this game and I thought their BBQ was a joke compared to ours.
You couldnt have gone to the right places.

Arthur Bryants and Gates have spicy sauces. Most places have sweet and spicy sauce.
Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #18
Pats
Rookie

Rep Power: 694 Pats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive lived in KC for 17 years.

KC is small compared to Houston and Arrowhead is pretty easy to get to. There are hotels out by the stadium, but theres nothing out there besides a Dennys and gas stations.

I would stay downtown at the Power and Light district, Westport or the Plaza. The Plaza and Westport are a few blocks from each other. The Plaza has upscale shopping and nicer restaurants and Westport is more for partying.

They have casinos here if youre into that and the only WW1 museum in the world.
Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #19
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

A few friends and I are planning on going, we were wondering where everyone is seating at so we can get tickets near more Texans fans so we can all be together in a group
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #20
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I am putting together a bus for the KC trip.

Here is the info I put on the facebook group:

On a lark, I contacted a bus company for the KC trip. I have us leaving the Hobby airport area at 7 pm on Friday night. We arrive in KC at 8 am on Sat (saves a hotel night) and leave KC at 7 pm on Sunday arriving back in Houston Monday morning. $7700 for a bus for 55 people. If we had 30, this works out to $256 per person. Any interest? One nice part is this leaves us with one night hotel in KC. Cars can be left in a remote parking lot at Hobby.

My current plan is to have people mail me checks that I will hold until I reach 30. Once the magic number is reached, I will deposit the checks and book the bus. If a check bounces, that person is out, no 2nd chances. If I get more than 30 (40 max for comfort) I will bring cash to pay people the difference on the bus.

*Their is a $500 deposit required if we want alcohol on the bus (we do) which we need to divide out somehow.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read