Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12 Hours Ago   #1761
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 346169 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
A guy that is a lot cheaper, probably... and faster. His replacement doesn't have to match his productivity. The Texans are reallocating resources on offense and attempting to design a more flexible offense, instead of being limited by a lack of depth, speed, quickness at the skill positions.
How about O'Brien increase offensive flexibility with a GD better QB??
Old 12 Hours Ago   #1762
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 190495 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
How about O'Brien increase offensive flexibility with a GD better QB??
This^^^^^

And a slot receiver that can catch the ball would be nice
Brain Cushing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
If I know the FO, they're not going to get a top QB. Mallett will turn out to be a 1-game flash, but it will be discovered too late.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Hours Ago   #1763
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 357173 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

You two old farts don't make a bit of cents.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Hours Ago   #1764
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279564 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry wrong thread.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 11 Hours Ago at 11:29 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Hours Ago   #1765
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 126012 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

O'Brien really is trying to be Bill B. Anybody remember how Bill B went to Cleveland and cut all their good players? Then he went to the Patriots and immediately cut Lawyer Milloy?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Hours Ago   #1766
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 91483 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
AJ was a year younger last year, Hopkins was less proven, and the dead money was steeper. Nothing looked indecisive. OBrien was very clear that he wanted AJ with the team last year during his holdout. This off-season, he delivered an equally clear message- that AJ isn't at the center of their plans for 2015 and 2016. Indecisive is the last word I would use to describe OBrien.
Your admiration for sitting Texans head coaches is well known. Just about any negative word about O'Brien would be the last you would use. Frankly, that makes me view your takes on O'Brien with a grain of salt - they can come across more like hero worship than reasoned arguments. That's why I generally avoid engaging you in discussion anymore; you quoted me though so here I am.

For the record I think O'Brien has done a good job so far. There are only three things I question him on:

1) Sticking with Fitzpatrick too long last year, leading to...

2) ...possibly relying too much on an unproven Mallett this season. I say possibly because free agency and the draft have yet to play out.

3) Creating another hole in the roster by letting Andre go for some salary cap relief, resulting in a situation that will probably end up using more resources to resolve in the end.

Other than that, I think he's done very well. Best case scenario is that this decision doesn't end up hurting the Texans growth next year. I think it is more likely it does hold them back - using resources to replace Andre's production seems a waste with so many other holes in the lineup.
Old 12 Hours Ago   #1767
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 362866 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

Other than that, I think he's done very well. Best case scenario is that this decision doesn't end up hurting the Texans growth next year. I think it is more likely it does hold them back - using resources to replace Andre's production seems a waste with so many other holes in the lineup.
Growth... I'm not looking forward to what that's going to look like next season. I get the feeling OB's going to be in "build" mode & not "win" mode, meaning McNair sold us a bill of goods.

Again.

& I fell for it.

Again.
Old 11 Hours Ago   #1768
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 90750 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Your admiration for sitting Texans head coaches is well known. Just about any negative word about O'Brien would be the last you would use. Frankly, that makes me view your takes on O'Brien with a grain of salt - they can come across more like hero worship than reasoned arguments. That's why I generally avoid engaging you in discussion anymore; you quoted me though so here I am.

For the record I think O'Brien has done a good job so far. There are only three things I question him on:

1) Sticking with Fitzpatrick too long last year, leading to...

2) ...possibly relying too much on an unproven Mallett this season. I say possibly because free agency and the draft have yet to play out.

3) Creating another hole in the roster by letting Andre go for some salary cap relief, resulting in a situation that will probably end up using more resources to resolve in the end.

I was never a Capers fan.
I liked Kubiak and rooted for him.
I respect OBrien and believe he is a great coach... I never said that about the other two.

I predict the Texans offense will score more points and have more passing yards
Than they did in 2014... I don't expect one player to replace AJs production. I expect the TEs will catch more passes, WR3 and WR4 will have larger roles, and AJs replacement will have a much better yards per catch than 11.
Old 9 Hours Ago   #1769
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 33458 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was never a Capers fan.
I liked Kubiak and rooted for him.
I respect OBrien and believe he is a great coach... I never said that about the other two.

I predict the Texans offense will score more points and have more passing yards
Than they did in 2014... I don't expect one player to replace AJs production. I expect the TEs will catch more passes, WR3 and WR4 will have larger roles, and AJs replacement will have a much better yards per catch than 11.
lol. you're completely downplaying your Kubiak worship. I guess that's easy to do in hindsight, since you were 100% wrong about him.

But, whatever.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Hours Ago   #1770
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 362866 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
...and AJs replacement will have a much better yards per catch than 11.
I bet Andre will avg more than 11 ypc in 2015 as well.
Old 2 Hours Ago   #1771
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 193781 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I bet Andre will avg more than 11 ypc in 2015 as well.
Over under on TDs?
Old 1 Hour Ago   #1772
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 142552 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Over under on TDs?
Well we all saw what AJ did with Case at QB, and even how much better he looked with Mallet at QB. With a good QB he will be a 1300+ 10TD+ WR easily IMO. He may not have the downfield speed he used to have but he hasn't lost anything else. And he still has a damn good double move which was rarely used last season.

facebook.com/ThatRump
EllisUnit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Hour Ago   #1773
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 126012 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Well we all saw what AJ did with Case at QB, and even how much better he looked with Mallet at QB. With a good QB he will be a 1300+ 10TD+ WR easily IMO. He may not have the downfield speed he used to have but he hasn't lost anything else. And he still has a damn good double move which was rarely used last season.
Yup. AJ is still better than 90% of the WR's out there. Hell he is still the best receiver we have/had. I don't know what the fudge O'Brien was thinking.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 37 Minutes Ago   #1774
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 119999 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure what team would bring him in at a #1 in terms of targets, so expecting that he would still get the 165 targets a season average that was getting him 100/1300 seasons. I expect that he will be a #2 and will get in that 120-130 target range that will probably result in something around 85/1100, which puts him at 13 YPC. I would take that any day of the week and twice in Sunday.

But 1300 yards? 10 TD's? That is a lot of targets. What team is going to give him that many targets? Look at the Colts, which is for some reason where so many on this board want him to go. TY Hilton had 1350 yards for the Colts last season but was only targeted 130 times, leading the team. He got the yardage because he was a burner and averaged 16.4 YPC.

New England? Their leading receiver in receptions, targets AND YPC was a TE. Both of their starting WR's had 2014 AJ type of numbers. And that was by design. I can't see AJ going into that situation and being targeted 150+ times.

Denver? Didn't they just put the franchise tag on Thomas? Is Sanders leaving? Both put up seasons last year that rivaled AJ's in his prime.

Seattle? Two words: Russell Wilson

I can definitely envision him going somewhere with a much better chance to win a Super Bowl now as compared to the Texans, but I'm not seeing where he can do that AND be in a position to post 100/1300/10 type of numbers. I can see where he can go in as a solid #2 and put up a very valuable 85/1100 type numbers. I'll have to dig up the numbers from a post I made much earlier in this thread, but many of his peers on the all-time list had 85/1100 seasons at the age of 34. No shame in those numbers at all.
sandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Minutes Ago   #1775
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 142552 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
I'm not sure what team would bring him in at a #1 in terms of targets, so expecting that he would still get the 165 targets a season average that was getting him 100/1300 seasons. I expect that he will be a #2 and will get in that 120-130 target range that will probably result in something around 85/1100, which puts him at 13 YPC. I would take that any day of the week and twice in Sunday.

But 1300 yards? 10 TD's? That is a lot of targets. What team is going to give him that many targets? Look at the Colts, which is for some reason where so many on this board want him to go. TY Hilton had 1350 yards for the Colts last season but was only targeted 130 times, leading the team. He got the yardage because he was a burner and averaged 16.4 YPC.

New England? Their leading receiver in receptions, targets AND YPC was a TE. Both of their starting WR's had 2014 AJ type of numbers. And that was by design. I can't see AJ going into that situation and being targeted 150+ times.

Denver? Didn't they just put the franchise tag on Thomas? Is Sanders leaving? Both put up seasons last year that rivaled AJ's in his prime.

Seattle? Two words: Russell Wilson

I can definitely envision him going somewhere with a much better chance to win a Super Bowl now as compared to the Texans, but I'm not seeing where he can do that AND be in a position to post 100/1300/10 type of numbers. I can see where he can go in as a solid #2 and put up a very valuable 85/1100 type numbers. I'll have to dig up the numbers from a post I made much earlier in this thread, but many of his peers on the all-time list had 85/1100 seasons at the age of 34. No shame in those numbers at all.
My whole assumption is that there are many teams with elite QBs in need of a solid WR. AJ can still get open, don't be fooled by thinking he has declined so much from his 1400 yard season. Fitz just often didn't look his way last season. 10+TDs is not out of reach with some of these gun slingers.

facebook.com/ThatRump
Old 18 Minutes Ago   #1776
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 119999 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My whole assumption is that there are many teams with elite QBs in need of a solid WR. AJ can still get open, don't be fooled by thinking he has declined so much from his 1400 yard season. Fitz just often didn't look his way last season. 10+TDs is not out of reach with some of these gun slingers.
Agree that he can still get open. Agree that he is still a solid WR. He is strong enough to fight for the ball and is a clutch receiver. I don't hold to the notion that this past season is what he is moving forward, but I am also realistic to not hold to the notion that he is going to put up a 100/1300/10 season if his goal is to play for a legitimate contender. What I think is that with a good QB his yardage will go up from the 925 he had this past season, but that he would still be in the 85-90 range on receptions.
Old 12 Minutes Ago   #1777
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Agree that he can still get open. Agree that he is still a solid WR. He is strong enough to fight for the ball and is a clutch receiver. I don't hold to the notion that this past season is what he is moving forward, but I am also realistic to not hold to the notion that he is going to put up a 100/1300/10 season if his goal is to play for a legitimate contender. What I think is that with a good QB his yardage will go up from the 925 he had this past season, but that he would still be in the 85-90 range on receptions.
Which fine with that, AJ just doesn't view himself as a 40 catch a season guy, and i agree with him. This dude can break top 5 in a lot of NFL WR all time categories, why would he want to limit the last few good years of his career.

facebook.com/ThatRump
Old 7 Minutes Ago   #1778
sandman
All Pro

Quote:
Which fine with that, AJ just doesn't view himself as a 40 catch a season guy, and i agree with him. This dude can break top 5 in a lot of NFL WR all time categories, why would he want to limit the last few good years of his career.
I think we all agree - including everyone from McNair to the waterboy - that no one views AJ as a 40 catch a season guy. That phrase, and the various and sundry interpretations and suppositions as to the context in which it was used, are simply the left hand distracting us while the right hand is counting the coins in the piggy bank.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read