Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-01-2014   #21
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Numbers rarely lie: Barnwell's early assessment of next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dude, you have been upping your smiley game bigtime, OW, and that last one... genius.

MSR, man, m s r.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #22
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Sure, and the irony would be that the difference between say ... Marcus Mariota and Ryan Fitzpatrick would be that same soft schedule. I'd take a losing season or two over a decade of mediocrity.
define Mediocrity, you mean like the browns/raiders or the steelers/chiefs. Pretty sure the whole point is to win the Superbowl, so in all reality it dont matter if you win 1 game or 15 games if you dont win the Superbowl then the season was a failure.
Old 06-01-2014   #23
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17974 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
define Mediocrity, you mean like the browns/raiders or the steelers/chiefs. Pretty sure the whole point is to win the Superbowl, so in all reality it dont matter if you win 1 game or 15 games if you dont win the Superbowl then the season was a failure.
A playoff team isn't mediocre. It gives the fans that sense of possibility. A mediocre team doesn't even give their fans reason for hope. Stuck in the doldrums. Blueprint is pretty clear. You have to suck for a bit and capitalize on your high picks in order to establish some sort of dynasty, otherwise you will hop back and forth between regimes always going back to square one.
Old 06-01-2014   #24
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A playoff team isn't mediocre. It gives the fans that sense of possibility. A mediocre team doesn't even give their fans reason for hope. Stuck in the doldrums. Blueprint is pretty clear. You have to suck for a bit and capitalize on your high picks in order to establish some sort of dynasty, otherwise you will hop back and forth between regimes always going back to square one.
Well we have been in the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years i call that success. With a more creative coach i feel we can actually begin to do more with less. Cause lets be honest in 2011 we were easily the most talented team in the NFL. That was our year to win it all and we didnt, hell even 2012 we were among the most talented. The patriots in the past have won superbowls with less talent than we have even now.
Old 06-01-2014   #25
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is not the NBA. Evidence does not support your thesis. Teams can rebuild from the middle of the draft. Consider the best teams in the NFL, none of them are there due to picks high in the 1st round. Even the Qbs aren't high 1st round picks.

SF
GB
Seattle
NE
NO
Denver

None of those teams acquired their QB with a high 1st round pick.
Old 06-01-2014   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Denver

Should have left Denver out. No they did not literally use a high 1st on him but he is a #1 overall who was only available because (a) Denver could pay a king's ransom and (b) Manning's team had another #1 overall.
Old 06-01-2014   #27
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 17974 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Well we have been in the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years i call that success. With a more creative coach i feel we can actually begin to do more with less. Cause lets be honest in 2011 we were easily the most talented team in the NFL. That was our year to win it all and we didnt, hell even 2012 we were among the most talented. The patriots in the past have won superbowls with less talent than we have even now.
Agreed, but you must also be realistic in the expectations. This team lacks depth and we wont know their identity until well into the year. Just because O'Brien is a fruit from the Patriot tree doesn't guarantee success.
Old 06-01-2014   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here, see, my thinking is a bit different.
I would have preferred that the Texans. Didn't go all out on Schaub.
IIt's not because I hate Schaub; it's because you want to give your team the opportunity to potentially land a franchise QB.

But once the Schaub's deal was done, I didn't see any good crying over spilled milk.

I wanted to look ahead and traded out of the first round for future pick(s).

Instead of taking Hopkins (and it's never a knock about him.)

I said let's look at Keenan Allen medical condition (him being my first choice if healthy.)

Save up on your future draft picks to make a play on a guy you are really high on, like Mariota, if he comes out.

People may think that I'm nut for looking at high school prospects.
I don't think so.

This part is yet to be regulated by the NFL.
I've been saying this for a while; I think the smart organization should have an independent scouting department.
It can report to the GM, but it doesn't have to be influenced by the GM or the coaches.

GMS and coaches can be fired.
It's better, IMO, to have another agency, like a research department. Whether the Democrats or the Republicans win the election, the team still has an unbiased source of talent evaluation.
It doesn't have to be quite like the CIA, FBI, KGB, M6, or Interpol, etc.

But I do want to have dossiers on file, LOL.
Am I crazy or what?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #29
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Agreed, but you must also be realistic in the expectations. This team lacks depth and we wont know their identity until well into the year. Just because O'Brien is a fruit from the Patriot tree doesn't guarantee success.
Oh i know it gurantees nothing, i do like his attitude though. Of all the people from the patriots staff to try head coaching in the NFL i see O'brien as the closest to Bill Belichek as far as coaching style goes. He seems to have a good ability to adapt to players and situations. Atleast thats what i saw when he was coaching at Penn. But who knows the NFL is a different animal for sure.
Old 06-01-2014   #30
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
This is not the NBA. Evidence does not support your thesis. Teams can rebuild from the middle of the draft. Consider the best teams in the NFL, none of them are there due to picks high in the 1st round. Even the Qbs aren't high 1st round picks.

SF
GB
Seattle
NE
NO
Denver

To expound on your point, in the NBA it only takes one or two big signings and all of a sudden your a competitior. Those mega deals rarely happen in the NFL. It is of the upmost importance to nail the high draft picks, and I don't necessarily include a 1st because IMO that pick should be a no brainer for every franchise. I look at what happens in rounds 2-4. The teams you list have a penchant for spotting and developing talent. Percentages would usually favor a higher drafted player as succeeding, and this franchise is spotty at best in that department. Hopefully the new cast of characters are more apt in finding talent.
Old 06-01-2014   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Sure, and the irony would be that the difference between say ... Marcus Mariota and Ryan Fitzpatrick would be that same soft schedule. I'd take a losing season or two over a decade of mediocrity.
But you'll complain about the mediocrity.

Taking a losing season & complaining about mediocrity... I just don't get it.
Old 06-01-2014   #32
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
At the risk of sidetracking this discussion, there's a link on that page that completely steals the show. Arian Foster goes after cat people and wants to free the cats. Best thing I've read all week.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ar...free-the-cats/

It was an interesting bunch of exchanges but the picture of the naked couple with their cats was disturbing.
Old 06-01-2014   #33
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 161104 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Barnwell is being a bit optimistic. Of course, I've gone full on cynical with this team, so my outlook is not so bright. Last year's team was victim to more than just poor QB play and bad coaching. Our defense was atrocious in the RZ. Special teams was "special," alright. 8 wins sounds about right. But that's only 2 off of 10...can we get back on the right side of the luck scale and win 2 we shouldn't? Make up for our bad breaks last year? I would love to see it, but...

The last couple of years, I've been Fox Muldering on this team, hard core. I believed. I thought we had the talent to go pretty far. There were issues, but I thought they could be addressed.

This year, I'm Dana Scullying it up. This team is going to have to prove it to me. I want to believe, but want only goes so far.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I think Barnwell is being a bit optimistic. Of course, I've gone full on cynical with this team, so my outlook is not so bright. Last year's team was victim to more than just poor QB play and bad coaching. Our defense was atrocious in the RZ. Special teams was "special," alright. 8 wins sounds about right. But that's only 2 off of 10...can we get back on the right side of the luck scale and win 2 we shouldn't? Make up for our bad breaks last year? I would love to see it, but...

The last couple of years, I've been Fox Muldering on this team, hard core. I believed. I thought we had the talent to go pretty far. There were issues, but I thought they could be addressed.

This year, I'm Dana Scullying it up. This team is going to have to prove it to me. I want to believe, but want only goes so far.
Bo says Believe.

http://www.nbc.com/believe
Old 06-01-2014   #35
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 135235 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
barnwell is the most boring writer in grantland.

i tried reading his articles but i just can never finish it due to all the tripe and trivial numbers and statistics he stuffs in his articles.

it feels like you're reading a math book.

no thanks.
This from the same guy who said keenum a lack of success was tied to his less than sharp attire and bridgewaters cross dressing classroom project makes him a leader unfit to lead an offense.
Old 06-01-2014   #36
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
This from the same guy who said keenum a lack of success was tied to his less than sharp attire and bridgewaters cross dressing classroom project makes him a leader unfit to lead an offense.
So, you're going to slight Tom Savage just because he's a rookie and will never be a decent QB because he's allegedly balding prematurely?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #37
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 135235 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
So, you're going to slight Tom Savage just because he's a rookie and will never be a decent QB because he's allegedly balding prematurely?
Whas that also part Lordbills' repertoire? I mean was that also part Lordbills' quantitative analysis?
Old 06-02-2014   #38
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I think Barnwell is being a bit optimistic.

It was a statistical analysis of the NfL. The article was not about the Texans. The data simply pointed to them repeatedly. Whether his conclusions are right or wrong, optimism has nothing to do with it.
Old 06-02-2014   #39
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Whas that also part Lordbills' repertoire? I mean was that also part Lordbills' quantitative analysis?
Indeed, Sir, indeed it was none other than.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014   #40
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Dude, you have been upping your smiley game bigtime, OW, and that last one... genius.

MSR, man, m s r.

you humble me sir.

but I don't create 'em, I just find 'em and post 'em.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read