Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1641
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58665 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
That is not true. Just last year we saw that putting in a young QB was only good for a couple of games before the vultures were out.
Yeah, it may happen more times than not, but that doesn't keep you from trying. Nobody coming into the NFL is proven until they play real live games. You have to see what they're made of so you can base your decision on where you need to go.

It's like playing the lottery, you don't win if you don't play, but if you do play you may win.

Right now, I see it as having two lottery tickets in your possession(Mallett and Savage). You can't say to yourself you are not going to win when you haven't even checked the numbers.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1642
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post

At this point I think wins only hurt our draft next year. Which Smith will blow anyway if he's still here.
That may be true from a draft perspective. But I think the team is better in the long run if they win every game they can. Winning is a habit, so is losing.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1643
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
...If Mallett never sees the field then that tells me that he knew all along that Mallett was never anything more than a backup we brought in to keep Savage off the field at all costs...
We sure negotiated and paid for Mallett like he was no more than a backup.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1644
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
So you would have given more for a starter on the final year of his contract?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1645
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103795 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's been my point all along. I have no problem with Mallett playing, but I don't expect to see anything better than what I'm seeing right now.

Probably longer plays down the field will open up but at the expense of more sacks and more turnovers so it will be a wash.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1646
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103795 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So you would have given more for a starter on the final year of his contract?

The key part of the transaction to me is that nobody else was willing to give more than we did, and the Pats still made the deal.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1647
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think this overstates the clarity of the situation. Quality of play, best chance, etc. are a total mixed bag of objective and subjective factors. It's a trap many a coach has fallen into thinking they know who is best, or defaulting to a vet when in doubt. That's a general statement.

More particular to our specific scenario, these guys are damn near opposites of each other and I think that makes the evaluation harder. Huge arm v. passable. Mobile v. passable. Precise but not real accurate v. accurate but not precise. Leaning analysis paralysis v. leaning impulsive. Vet v. completely untried in real games.
I won't deny that. But isn't that what fans tend to do most of the time anyway? The situation is always more complex than it appears to be from a fan's perspective.

All I'm saying is that if winning is the most important thing then the decision to change QBs is not really as easy as it appears to be. I can understand why O'Brien would go with the known vs. the unknown. I'm not even saying I agree with that, just that I understand it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1648
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
The key part of the transaction to me is that nobody else was willing to give more than we did, and the Pats still made the deal.
Doesn't matter what team we're talking about. We're still talking about a guy on the last year of his contract. What would you give for an unproven QB on the last year of his contract? This year's seventh?

Then he starts, shows what he can do if he sucks, no big deal. But if he flashes potential, then your rival picks him up in the offseason because they're willing to overpay for him & you're not.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1649
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To be honest, his highest/best use is in the offense he's been trained in. Not exactly a West Coast/Read-Option kinda guy.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1650
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
To be honest, his highest/best use is in the offense he's been trained in. Not exactly a West Coast/Read-Option kinda guy.
I actually think Sean Payton's offense would be Mallett's best fit at the NFL level.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1651
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 80286 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I think you are one game off. Next ROAD game at Cleveland there will be 7 games remaining/16 Total games equals ~43.75% of season snaps. The following HOME game against Cincinnati there will be 6 games remaining/16 Total games equals ~37.5% of season snaps. That keeps the conditional draft pick under he trigger of 40%. Also 4 of those 6 are home games making it an optimal time for early success for a new QB.

Just a bit of long term planning, rather than short term fan appeasement might be what is going on.
I guess I was wrong. ~It NEVER happened before.~
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1652
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's been my point all along. I have no problem with Mallett playing, but I don't expect to see anything better than what I'm seeing right now.

Probably longer plays down the field will open up but at the expense of more sacks and more turnovers so it will be a wash.
Sacks yes, turnovers hopefully not.

Hopefully Mallett will be able to open up the whole field.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1653
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 80286 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

The biggest difference I can perceive is in the higher release point of Mallett over Fitz. I think that maybe two more passes a game get past the LOS with Mallet. But at what cost? Inexperience is to be expected and I suspect it will show within two or three games as opponents get game tape.

But I did notice that Mallett went to the center of the field with NE in preseason games with regularity. I'm hoping this creates uncertainty in coverage and he can burn the other guys who are sitting on the outs.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1654
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Hopefully he'll be able to see those quick slants across the middle, so when the blitzing LBs & safeties exit the middle of the field, he can hit that slot receiver, or TE in the middle of the field for big gains & back those blitzers up.
Old 5 Days Ago   #1655
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Oh I've personally have known him for a little while, -- back when he was an assistant with NE -- now I kinda felt like the day I met the guy... I went to myself, "Hmmm, that's an NFL Head Coach some day."

He has a vision. He knows exactly what he likes and wants in his players and what he's looking for. He has great relationships with his players.

And when you look at that team (Texans) play you say, yeah, that's a well coached team at all levels.

-- Mike Mayock on Bill O'Brien
Old 1 Day Ago   #1656
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

lol
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #1657
Tolar's Ghost
Veteran

Rep Power: 3247 Tolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respectedTolar's Ghost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...And when you look at that team (Texans) play you say, yeah, that's a well coached team at all levels.

-- Mike Mayock on Bill O'Brien
I like Mayock.

But he misses here and there.
Tolar's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #1658
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

So who's offense was more predictable Koobs or ButtChin?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read