Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-15-2015   #141
Lucky

Rep Power: 259706 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brett Hundley

Quote:
#UCLA QB Brett Hundley has declined his Senior Bowl invitation.
I think that was a mistake. I do realize Hundley had an injury late in the year, and that may have caused him to not accept. But, the Senior Bowl would have given Hundley an opportunity to solidify his ranking as the # 3 QB, and give the QB hungry teams a reason to trade up in the 1st round for him. Most of all, teams just want to see a guy compete. Be it at an all star game, or the combine. That's the message you hear, and I think it bears out on draft day. I guess his agent felt differently.
Old 01-15-2015   #142
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 353401 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think that was a mistake. I do realize Hundley had an injury late in the year, and that may have caused him to not accept.

I guess his agent felt differently.
Or like you say, there's more to the injury than they're letting on.
Old 01-15-2015   #143
Lucky

Rep Power: 259706 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well, he did play in the Alamo bowl (the injury to his finger happened late in the year against Stanford). I don't know.
Old 01-16-2015   #144
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 102090 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Or he's wise enough to not let a minor injury become a major one to please the draftnicks.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #145
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 442420 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

During his three year career as a starter at UCLA, Hundley finished with 79 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. He was able, however, to cut his interceptions down each season, from 11 as a freshman to five as a junior last season.

NJ Advance Media recently got the chance to speak with Hundley on a number of different topics, including his relationship with Eagles head coach Chip Kelly, who offered him a scholarship out of high school.
Quote:
On draft process...
It's a blessing. It's fun. Exciting. Much different than looking at it afar (as opposed) to being in it. It's a much different process than people would imagine. It's nothing but hard work, training, getting ready for the NFL Combine, and meeting a lot of new people. Shaking hands all the time.

On being a passer or a runner...
For sure a passer. I can sit back in the pocket and make throws. The one thing that sets (me apart from other pocket passers) is being able to take off and run. Create plays. It's a huge part of my game.

On quarterbacks being labeled a passer or a runner...
It takes away. It happens a lot of times. When you have the ability to run you get labeled as a runner, instead of 'ok, he is a quarterback, but he can run.' And when you put that label on a quarterback, people see that and immediately think of (former Eagles quarterback) Michael Vick or (Cleveland Browns quarterback) Johnny Manziel. But (Green Bay Packers quarterback) Aaron Rodgers is a passer -- but he can run as well. (Indianapolis Colts quarterback) Andrew Luck has some speed to him, but can pass. I think that is the label you want as a quarterback.

On the perception he is only an athlete...
I think I've done a job good at showing people I can sit in the pocket and make throws. That label has been there, but it's sort of faded away now. But people know I can take off and run.

On growing from his sophomore to junior year...
Huge maturity and growth as far as understanding the game, but also just growing in life. To have that extra year, it's really helped a lot.

On concerns he has received from NFL scouts about his game...
There hasn't been huge concerns. The feel of the pocket is a question a lot of people have. But another is that when someone hasn't met you or spoken to you or talked to you, you would never know until you get to personally meet them. So I think that is the biggest question — what is he like off of the field? How am I going to be impressed? What's his vibe?

On why personality matters more for a quarterback...
It's huge. Leadership is first and foremost for a quarterback. With any team you go to, you have to step in and be the leader of the team. It's not just stepping in and saying 'well, they drafted me to be a quarterback so I'm the leader of the team.' You have to work for it. You got to put in the work to get in that position.

On making NFL throws...
When you have a strong enough arm to throw the ball down the field and into tight windows. That's the concept of NFL arm. Being able to have that big strong arm and fit it into tight windows. And I've demonstrated that throughout my college career. Hopefully I will be able to show it in the NFL.

On Kelly offering him a scholarship out of high school...
It was amazing. Great coach. I got to meet him a couple of times. A good friend of mine, Dion Jordan, we played together in high school. It really came down to between Oregon, Washington and UCLA...Chip Kelly has turned that program into something so special.

On his fit with the Eagles and their read-option offense...
That kind of offense is what we were running my whole time at UCLA. We'll have very big time concepts, but the read-option puts a lot of decision making on the quarterback. Read defensive ends and get the ball where it needs to be. A lot of timing throws and progressional reads. It's a great offense, and I feel comfortable in it.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #146
Mollywhopper
Facilitator

Rep Power: 77888 Mollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respected

Hundley is probably the most interesting prospect in the draft to me this year. Though not particularly exceptional at any one thing, he checks in good or better at just about everything. He adds athleticism moving in and outside of the pocket, yet he'll usually looks to throw first when breaking free. Pair his tools with a very good sense of maturity and approach to the game/position from the neck up and he starts to compare favorably to a Russell Wilson. That kind of knee jerk comparison happens often leading up to drafts, but the more I've seen of the kid play and interview the less it looks like a reach comparison and the more it looks like Wilson's blazed a trail for what kind of talent can run an offense, and enter Hundley. I don't think I'd be down on OB giving him a long hard look if he felt he could call an offense to peak with his skillset.
Mollywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #147
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163912 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been more and more intrigued by this guy. I think I'm going to give his tape a serious look.

However, I think that drafting him in the 1st is a reach and that we're too far down in the 2nd round to pick him up.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #148
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 83038 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

see I don't understand this? Been talking for months about him & clearly dismissed by all here during actual live game tape now, upon reflection his stock suddenly soars? some have him rated higher than Mariota who once was higher than Winston? sense my rage/frustration. Disclaimer- believe what you see not what you read. go ahead & re-watch those dreadful Bruin games tell us what you see....

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #149
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 187163 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
see I don't understand this? Been talking for months about him & clearly dismissed by all here during actual live game tape now, upon reflection his stock suddenly soars? some have him rated higher than Mariota who once was higher than Winston? sense my rage/frustration. Disclaimer- believe what you see not what you read. go ahead & re-watch those dreadful Bruin games tell us what you see....
Agree with your point. I haven't watched much of him, but I don't think the Texans draft a QB at all this year so haven't wasted my time
Brain Cushing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
If I know the FO, they're not going to get a top QB. Mallett will turn out to be a 1-game flash, but it will be discovered too late.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #150
Mollywhopper
Facilitator

Rep Power: 77888 Mollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respectedMollywhopper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't know about anyone dismissing anyone, I just got around to watching him cause I didn't catch a ton of Pac-12 during the year.

Who has him ahead of Winston though? Odd.
Mollywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #151
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 353401 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I've felt this way about Mariota/Winston for a while... I think most people have, but the "f* her in the *" thing, among others, was really hurting Winston . Then in the final two games of the season where Mariota is clearly not the best QB on the field really hurt him.

Far as Hundley goes, I've only watched a few games this year & felt most were just nit picking his game. I'm not saying he's a first rounder just that I've got an unfinished grade on him & I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up going in the first.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #152
Lucky

Quote:
sense my rage/frustration.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #153
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 442420 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Brett Hundley -- Path to the Draft!
Quote:
This time each year, there's plenty of emphasis put into analyzing, debating and breaking down every little aspect of college quarterbacks and how they might be able to leave their mark on the NFL.

All that time devoted to a single position is, of course, warranted when it is the most important position for any NFL franchise. This year there seems to be a host of storylines centered on the big two -- Florida State's Jameis Winston and Oregon's Marcus Mariota -- and who will be the third signal-caller picked in the draft...
Old 1 Week Ago   #154
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB
Quote:
UCLA's Hundley to throw, compete in every drill at #NFLCombine. (via @RapSheet)

--> http://bit.ly/1zlmCKw
Old 1 Week Ago   #155
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

"Shoulder and elbow injuries" kept Hundley out of the Senior Bowl.

Best attributes?: "Hard work (student of game/playbook), leadership..."

Wrong impressions about you?: "Accuracy. I'm looking to disprove that."

Very positive impression of Hundley interview: looks everyone in the eye, well spoken, intelligent, confident, stage isn't too big for him.

Appears to have an slight issue with upper teeth that gives him the appearance of an expression that may not characterize what's going on inside. (Teddy B had similar). Will check with Dr CND on Hundley.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read