Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2015   #2001
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184174 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I hope he doesn't put too much focus on that one game. There are 13 other games that are more important than that one for winning the division.
Plus, the two years in a row we won the division, we didn't win in Indy, soo...
Old 03-24-2015   #2002
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 270284 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope he doesn't put too much focus on that one game. There are 13 other games that are more important than that one for winning the division.
Don't follow your logic or your math here...

Isn't one of the main goals to beat your divisional opponents, at the least to hold the tie breakers? And don't they have 14 other games besides the colts? And what's more important games than beating division rivals?
Shouted out after the drafting of KJo
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015   #2003
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 422079 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post

Isn't one of the main goals to beat your divisional opponents, at the least to hold the tie breakers? And don't they have 14 other games besides the colts? And what's more important games than beating division rivals?
Well it's not like we've never beat Indy. McClain was saying we're 0-13 at Indy. There are 15 other games (I fk'd that up, subtracted when I should have added) that are more important.

We've got three division rivals. We could go 14-2, win the division, beat our division rivals (two of them anyway), & still lose both games to Indy.

What's the point in beating Indy if we can't win but 8 or 9 games? They're going to win 10+
Old 03-24-2015   #2004
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 270284 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well it's not like we've never beat Indy. McClain was saying we're 0-13 at Indy. There are 15 other games (I fk'd that up, subtracted when I should have added) that are more important.

We've got three division rivals. We could go 14-2, win the division, beat our division rivals (two of them anyway), & still lose both games to Indy.

What's the point in beating Indy if we can't win but 8 or 9 games? They're going to win 10+

Yes it's possible, but not likely. The division still runs thru Indy and if you want to win you need to be able to beat Indy
Old 03-24-2015   #2005
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 422079 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Yes it's possible, but not likely. The division still runs thru Indy and if you want to win you need to be able to beat Indy
Looking at my whole post, in context (with the corrected math).... the game in question was the one in Indy. I hope OB doesn't put too much focus on that one game when the other 15 are more important.

& in truth, that's just a tie breaker. We win more games than Indy, regardless how we do it (beating them helps a lot, I know) we win the division.

Besides, I think winning 10 games would be something short of a miracle in 2015. I'm hoping we win the right 9 & get into the play offs.
Old 03-24-2015   #2006
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Looking at my whole post, in context (with the corrected math).... the game in question was the one in Indy. I hope OB doesn't put too much focus on that one game when the other 15 are more important.

& in truth, that's just a tie breaker. We win more games than Indy, regardless how we do it (beating them helps a lot, I know) we win the division.

Besides, I think winning 10 games would be something short of a miracle in 2015. I'm hoping we win the right 9 & get into the play offs.
I think that winning divisional games are equally important. It's all semantics, but if you HAD to pick one team as the one you most needed to beat, it would be Indy. Not only because it gets you wins, but it gets them losses
Old 03-24-2015   #2007
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 505520 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Old 03-24-2015   #2008
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 505520 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are some of the topics covered at the morning breakfast:

Quote:
On this offseason
I look at it this way, free agency is a stage, of putting a team together. And that is not over yet. Then it's the draft and we are deep into our preparations for the draft, the first weekend in May. Then, one of the critical times for us is - post draft. With the college free agents. That's a stage.

On Clowney
I would say with JD, I think he is rehabbing very well. In fact last week he had a great week. He had his best week of rehab. As far as putting a time of when he will be back on the field with pads, I wouldn't be able to do that for you right now but I like the way he is progressing.

With JD, it is all going to come down to what he does when he puts the pads on. How he plays, can he stay out there, how he takes care of his body because there is no question about his ability to go out there and affect the game.

On Su'a-Filo
He is in there every day. He is working very hard, I've seen him every day that I've been in the office, he is in there rehabbing. He is working in the weight room. He is doing really well. He wants to be good. I really like where he is at right now.

On Nix
I have not seen Luis Nix, so I don't know. He is working out in Florida. I haven't seen him but that's their prerogative. Don't read anything into that.

More Nix - on what he wants to see:
I would say the ability to make it through a practice. That would be the biggest thing I'd need to see.

On Andre Johnson
I've said this all along. I've been fortunate to coach some of the best players at their position in this game. Whether it was Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, Logan Mankins, you know all these guys I've been involved with. JJ Watt obviously. I am just fortunate to have coached and had a chance to be with Andre for a year and like I said, he will go down as one of the best ever to play that position.

On DeAndre Hopkins
Basically last year was his best year. He had a really productive year. The thing that we really like about Hop and we want him to continue to work on is work ethic. He is a hungry player. He works every single day. He came into the spring a year ago, and learned the offense. He was kind of thinking out there and then all if a sudden he just took off so we just want to see him continue to progress. We think he can be, we think he is one of the best. We have a lot of confidence in him.

On Brian Hoyer
Brian Hoyer is a very competitive guy, personable guy, football means a lot to him. He is a great family guy, basically a new father. He has two young children. I've known him since his rookie year and he is a guy that perseveres. He has good leadership qualities. He has won games in this league, he is a good fit for what he we do and basically in a different way I would say about Ryan Mallett, id say similar things.

On Watt
I broke down every player. When I broke him down. Out of all the plays he played, I think he had 120 plays that he had either a TFL, a quarterback hit, sack, a batted ball, an interception, a fumble recovery, a caused fumble, on 120 plays he did one of those 7 things, and now he is out there in Wisconsin and he is trying to get better. And he knows that he has no limits.
Old 03-24-2015   #2009
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 422483 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting that Hoyer was asked about but no questions on Mallett's recovery status.
Old 03-25-2015   #2010
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226710 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Ranking the NFL coaches 1-32: No easy choices, except at No. 1

Quote:
11. Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans -- Surprised to see him this high? He did an amazing job in his first season in 2014. I thought the Texans would win two or three games. He got them to nine victories and nearly had them in the playoffs. He has the feel of a really good coach. I think he will be higher on this list in the coming years.
Did Prisco just write something positive about the Texans?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015   #2011
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 572925 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Not really. He was a dumbass expecting only 2-3 wins and then credits OB for exceeding his stupidity.

Before someone goes there - the above comment is entirely about Prisco.
Old 03-25-2015   #2012
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 263192 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Our coach has po--tential!
Old 03-25-2015   #2013
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 147397 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Our coach has po--tential!
The kid is on the right track.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #2014
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26422 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I was just notified of breaking news on my Sportscenter App... apparently OB considers JJ Watt the best defensive player in the NFL.
Old 03-26-2015   #2015
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19757 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think that winning divisional games are equally important. It's all semantics, but if you HAD to pick one team as the one you most needed to beat, it would be Indy. Not only because it gets you wins, but it gets them losses
BINGO!!!
TO put that into perspective just look at it this way:

1. We were two games away from winning the division. Guess which two losses would've solidified the division outright?

2. The Colts went 11-5 but 6 of those wins were all in the division. Outside the division that team was merely 5-5. Meanwhile, The Texans were 4-2 and were 5-5 outside the division. Trust me, those games mean it.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #2016
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 130256 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
BINGO!!!
TO put that into perspective just look at it this way:

1. We were two games away from winning the division. Guess which two losses would've solidified the division outright?

2. The Colts went 11-5 but 6 of those wins were all in the division. Outside the division that team was merely 5-5. Meanwhile, The Texans were 4-2 and were 5-5 outside the division. Trust me, those games mean it.
At some point, outside assistance won't be enough.

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #2017
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
We're preparing for the draft, and we're in the process of doing a Staff Clinic, where each guy stands up and has a subject area that they cover. It's really been good. Been good that we have a lot of interaction with our staff. Good questions and answers... a lot of things getting done.
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...f-534ed418ae2a
Old 03-28-2015   #2018
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
OB just gives ya a lot of confidence while listening to him

Like you get the feeling he does have a plan
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2019
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

O'Brien's Improvement Wishlist
Quote:
Last week at the NFL Annual Meetings, Bill O'Brien... pinpointed four areas where the Texans need to "get better".

1. Kickoff and punt returns: O'Brien mentioned special teams first, and focused primarily on the return game and covering returns. The Texans were 31st out of 32 teams last season in yards per punt return with 6.1. Only the Chicago Bears were worse.

They weren't much better on kickoff return average, picking up 21.1 yards per kickoff return. That was the 29th-best mark in the NFL.

When covering punts, the Texans again ranked 31st in the League. Opponents averaged 12.4 yards per punt return. Kickoffs return yardage allowed was a bit better, but still in the bottom third of the NFL. The Texans gave up 26 yards per kickoff return, putting them in 25th place.

“We’ve gotta get better on special teams," O'Brien said. "We’re looking for, whether it’s in the draft or the rest of whatever’s left of free agency, can we find some guys? Maybe it’s a returner. Maybe it’s a guy that can cover kicks."

Speed on special teams can go a long way in helping punter Shane Lechler and kicker Randy Bullock, both of whom have strong legs.

2. Offensive line depth: The likely starters, left to right, on the offensive line are Duane Brown, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Ben Jones, Brandon Brooks and Derek Newton.

That quintet, along with former center Chris Myers, got the lion's share of snaps last season.

Tyson Clabo came off the bench for 99 offensive snaps, and Jeff Adams was in the game for a pair of offensive snaps. Nobody else from a group that includes Cody White, Will Yeatman, David Quessenberry, and practice squadders James Ferentz, Matt Feilerand Bryan Witzmann saw regular season game action.

3. More wide receivers: DeAndre Hopkins led the team with 1,210 receiving yards.

Andre Johnson is gone.

Cecil Shorts, III was added in free agency.

Damaris Johnson re-signed in free agency.

O'Brien will look to layer in more help at that position, "continuing to do, probably through the draft, a good job of filling in the wide receiver position."

This year's Draft features what's been described as a bumper crop of pass-catchers.

4. Safety first: At cornerback, both starters in Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson are under contract. So are A.J. Bouye, Darryl Morris and Jumal Rolle.

At safety, the team added Rahim Moore and lost Kendrick Lewis. D.J. Swearinger, Eddie Pleasant and Lonnie Ballentine are under contract as well.

O'Brien said he wanted "to build depth in the secondary, especially at the safety position". Danieal Manning was on the team last season, but is now an unrestricted free agent. The Texans will look to bolster this spot perhaps in the Draft, as well as in free agency.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2020
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 422483 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Well, now we know what sort of players to populate our big board with.
...don't we?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read