Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brett Hundley

Hundley begins his first test this season Saturday noon on ESPN against Virginia-

Quote:
Over the past two seasons, RS junior QB Brett Hundley (6-3 | 227 | 4.64 | #17) has flashed outstanding NFL potential with the natural tools pro scouts look for at the position. Is this the season he takes the next step in his development? Time will tell and it starts with an underrated road test in Charlottesville. Senior SS Anthony Harris (6-1 | 190 | 4.57 | #8) is a ballhawking safety and ranks as one of the top safety prospects in all of college football. He and junior DE Eli Harold (6-4 | 235 | 4.73 | #7) are Virginia's top prospects on defense.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #42
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Hundley begins his first test this season Saturday noon on ESPN against Virginia-
As someone who grew up a UVA fan, and still cheer for them against anyone but Carolina, calling Virginia a test may be a bit of a stretch.

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #43
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
As someone who grew up a UVA fan, and still cheer for them against anyone but Carolina, calling Virginia a test may be a bit of a stretch.
I agree that, as a team, it shouldn't be that tough of a test. They do have some NFL talent on defense though. Eli Harold (DE) had a fantastic year last year and could be a 1st or 2nd round draft pick if he continues his development. They have some decent LB's as well and Harris (S) and Nicholson (CB) will likely get drafted.

Also, stud freshmen Andrew Brown (DT) and Quin Blanding (S) will be making their debuts. Brown may have a tough transition to college as an interior D-Lineman, but I expect Blanding to be pretty good right off the bat.

They have talent on offense as well with Parks, Mizzell, Jennings, and Johnson and they have put a few OL into the league the last few years. Really the biggest problem for UVA is their QB play has been downright atrocious for the last decade. Teams can get away with poor QB play if they have a great defense and a solid running game. But UVA doesn't a great defense they have a solid one. And they don't have poor QB play, it's been disastrous.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #44
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51147 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I enjoy comparable's. Never thought once of Robert Griffin but now that you mention him there is one comparable I would like to make & that is this time, beginning of RG3 Jr. season most people didn't think he was worth a first round pick, certainly not top 5 & #2 overall behind only Andrew Luck.

I'm not sure if this is process of hyperbole development, laying foundation among fellow draft clones or just passing of another College Football season, but invariably in the end, we wind up thinking a whole lot more about prospects when tape & game film are fresh in one's mind. In my own mind having watched College players over the years Brett Hundley's comp is Colin Kaepernick. I just don't want to see another one just slip by the Texans
On this board,I think many would draft QB with every 1st round pick so there would be 32 QBs taken every year.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
On this board,I think many would draft QB with every 1st round pick so there would be 32 QBs taken every year.
If only we were as smart as you.

That smilie has absolutely nothing to do with this pos, just noticed it, couldn't help but use it.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #46
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Just finished watching and grading Hundley vs Virginia. Hundley is this year what he was last year, not a very good QB. This year like last year Hundley is not a Top 10 college QB. Needs to return to school in 2015. A very poor man's Duante Culpepper.

Hundley does not see the field well. He has poor footwork and his accuracy is terrible. Hundley only has a so - so arm. Hundley holds the ball way to long that leads to unnecessary sacks. Hundley does not handle pressure well and as a result drops his eyes. Hundley is a threat to run and does make good decisions when he runs the ball.

UCLA - #94 Odighizuwa; #30 Jack and #6 Kendrick played an excellent game. They're a very quick and athletic. All 3 are Sunday players. Without their play and efforts Virginia wins the game. Final score was UCLA 28 - Virginia 20 and the UCLA Defense scored 21 points.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #47
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree. I did not see much progression (if any) from last year. He struggled when faced with pressure and drops his eyes too often. He made a couple of really good 3rd down throws when under pressure, but they were few and far between. Very inconsistent performance.

Now, granted, his OL was pretty darn bad but if you're going to be a top pick at QB then you need to rise above that. He really struggled with the pressure UVA brought his way today. I still like him personally, but he still has a long way to go.

With all that said I have to say I was pretty impressed with Virginia's defense. They played very aggressive. I love Jon Tenuta's approach to defense. He may get burnt occasionally but he is going to come after you. I love that kind of defensive approach.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not going to make any excuses for his first game of season, continuous develop performance.

What I liked:

brings physical presence
Looks to throw first in pocket
Goes through progressions
Improved his arm strength

What I didn't like:

Footwork
Accuracy
Needs a quicker release
Pre-snap reads, check offs

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Now, granted, his OL was pretty darn bad but if you're going to be a top pick at QB then you need to rise above that. He really struggled with the pressure UVA brought his way today. I still like him personally, but he still has a long way to go.
Hundley makes his OL look worse than it is. Hundley is slow to process all the information needed to make quick decisions.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Hundley makes his OL look worse than it is. Hundley is slow to process all the information needed to make quick decisions.
He's always looked like a lumbering giant to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #51
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He definitely held the ball too long and was hesitant making his reads, but there were quite a few plays where he was getting the snap and had guys already in the backfield. UCLA had 2 OL starters out for this game and were already trying to break in 2 new starters. They got stronger later in the game and were able to establish the run a little bit in the 2nd half.

Will be interested to see how Hundley looks later in the year with a more cohesive OL in front of him. He still has a lot of work to do though. He looked eerily similar to last year with not a lot of progression being made in the passing game. Very quick to pull the ball down and rely on his legs.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #52
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
He definitely held the ball too long and was hesitant making his reads, but there were quite a few plays where he was getting the snap and had guys already in the backfield. UCLA had 2 OL starters out for this game and were already trying to break in 2 new starters. They got stronger later in the game and were able to establish the run a little bit in the 2nd half.

Will be interested to see how Hundley looks later in the year with a more cohesive OL in front of him. He still has a lot of work to do though. He looked eerily similar to last year with not a lot of progression being made in the passing game. Very quick to pull the ball down and rely on his legs.
I understand all this and the problems with his OL. That's why you would expect him to check down. With Hundley it appears he has one predetermined read and it's throw it, run it or take a sack. Honestly I don't know if Hundley knows if his receivers are facing man or zone. And the next safety he looks off will be the first safety he looks off.

Watching FSU/OKST and LSU/WISC while waiting to watch Mariota.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #53
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I understand all this and the problems with his OL. That's why you would expect him to check down. With Hundley it appears he has one predetermined read and it's throw it, run it or take a sack. Honestly I don't know if Hundley knows if his receivers are facing man or zone. And the next safety he looks off will be the first safety he looks off.

Watching FSU/OKST and LSU/WISC while waiting to watch Mariota.
I agree about checking down but they don't really use a TE at all and I didn't see the RB going out all that much. I also didn't see any hots or audibles. That one 4th down play they had tons of room over the middle to throw a slant and the guy ran an out. Hundley double clutched and took a sack. Seems like a fundamental flaw in the offense. If you're going to rely on your QB that much then it seems natural that you would give him more control.

I think we're on the same page here though. Not where you would expect him to be mentally or mechanically.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Was only able to see the first half but agree with evals above. He dropped out of first round on my board but it is only one game. Did not see much out of the Virginia safety Harris either.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #55
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83884 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Hundley looked terrible. I didn't see him play last year, but this first game I watched him play left me wondering what the hype was about. He looks like a c or d level player.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #56
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Hundley looked terrible. I didn't see him play last year, but this first game I watched him play left me wondering what the hype was about. He looks like a c or d level player.
People around here are so desperate for a QB that they had about 8 of them graded as first round picks in the last draft.

Hundley was a project last year and needed to go back to school. Looks like the same exact player right now. No growth over the spring and summer. He better improve over the season or he'll be in college again next year.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read