Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-30-2005   #21
SESupergenius

I ask you this, why was our Offensive Coordinator at the Auburn Pro Day if not looking at rb's? I would think that any player can be replaced at any time on our 7-9 team.
Old 03-30-2005   #22
Mr Shush
Veteran

I think it's pretty simple: if one of the top 3 falls to us, we'd be crazy not to take him as he would be the clear BPA - the most likely candidate would be Benson. Otherwise, obviously we won't take a back with our first-round pick, but we may well do later on if a guy we like is available. As I think I've posted elsewhere, I don't think too many Bills fans regret taking McGahee. One point worth considering is that when Davis becomes an FA we don't want to be in the position of having to franchise him or get in a bidding war to keep him - we want him back on our terms at a sensible cap number, which means we have to be realistically able to let him walk if he wants silly money, which means we have to have a credible replacement, which means someone better than Hollings.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #23
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.
Default DD's not that bad at all!!!

I think DD is damn good back. Last year her was 11th in the League in rushing with almost 1200 yrds (1188yards) and 3rd in the NFL in total yards among running backs with almost 1800 (1776yards) total yards of offense. I think we have too high expectations when it comes to asking for a back that will rush for 1500 yards and 20 TD's and have over 2000 yards offense. Only one back did that this year, Tiki Barber (2,096 yrds). DD was tied for 4th in the NFL in TD's with J. Bettis, T. Barber and W. Mc Gahee with 13 TD's. The most TD's in the NFL were 17 TD's with LT followed by S. Alexander with 16 TD's and P. Holmes with 14 TD's. DD's not too bad at all. What does everyone else think?
Old 03-30-2005   #24
Gilly
Rookie

I agree 300%. DD is a really good back that WILL soon develope into a great one. I am a huge fan of his and I believe that if we take an RB in the first five rounds it will be a waisted pick. DD is the man. 1500 yards this season with a crappy O-line.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #25
Mr Shush
Veteran

I think Davis is a terrific back too. But I also think the future's pretty hard to predict - he might turn out to be an all-time great, but he might also just start picking up progressively more injuries and never be capable of playing a full season again. He might even get hit by a bus. We just don't know, and if Benson's still on the board at 13 and we take him, I'll be delighted.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #26
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
And he could also be the next KiJana Carter, Blair Thomas or Reggie Cobb.
I dunno, I'm not saying DD is going to be the next Priest Holmes or anything but I sort of think he's done more already than those three guys
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #27
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I dunno, I'm not saying DD is going to be the next Priest Holmes or anything but I sort of think he's done more already than those three guys
Yes he has. Just curious, what are the backs that were picked before Davis stats?
Old 03-30-2005   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Musa Smith, Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, Chris Brown, Justin Fargas, & Artose Pinner were picked before Dom. I'd probably only rather have McGahee and Larry Johnson. I'm not too big on the other guys although some may make a case for Chris Brown (I don't care for his running style however). I don't consider this a strong RB class.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

agree with Vinny 2003 was not a great RB class

23 Willis McGahee RB Miami
27 Larry Johnson RB Penn State
77 Musa Smith RB Georgia
93 Chris Brown RB Colorado
96 Justin Fargas RB Southern California
99 Artose Pinner RB Kentucky
101 Domanick Davis RB Louisiana State
105 Onterrio Smith RB Oregon
108 Quentin Griffin RB Oklahoma
115 Lee Suggs RB Virginia Tech
132 LaBrandon Toefield RB Louisiana State
206 Brock Forsey RB Boise State
235 Ahmaad Galloway RB Alabama
236 Brandon Drumm RB Colorado
242 J.T. Wall RB Georgia
247 Casey Moore RB Stanford

fast forward to RB class of 2005

Ronnie Brown 6-0, 233 4.45 Auburn
Cedric Benson 5-10, 222 4.52 Texas
Carnell Williams 5-11, 217 4.45 Auburn
Ciatrick Fason 6-1, 207 4.62 Florida
Kay-Jay Harris 6-0, 236 4.56 West Virginia
Eric Shelton 6-1, 248 4.60 Louisville
Vernand Morency 5-10, 212 4.64 Oklahoma State
J.J. Arrington 5-9, 215 4.45 California
Brandon Jacobs 6-4, 265 4.60 Southern Illinois
Marion Barber 5-11, 212 4.50 Minnesota
Ryan Moats 5-8, 210 4.50 Louisiana Tech
Cedric Houston 5-11, 225 4.58 Tennessee
Darren Sproles 5-5, 185 4.50 Kansas State
Frank Gore 5-10, 208 4.65 Miami
T.A. McLendon 5-10, 235 4.70 North Carolina State
Walter Reyes 5-10, 210 4.65 Syracuse
Alex Haynes 5-10, 223 4.55 Central Florida
Ryan Grant 6-1, 215 4.53 Notre Dame
Alvin Pearman 5-10, 210 4.65 Virginia
Maurice Clarett 5-10, 234 4.65 Ohio State

highlighted Ryan Moats as a good comp to DD.

the Texans cannot rest on their laurels & ingnore any player at any position that would help strengthen & improve the overall team
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #30
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you can put up all the stats in the world at this point it doesn't matter...here's what we do know about DD...he is often injuried and has yet to carry the full load for a full season...in this day in age you win in the NFL with a solid running game consisting of TWO runningbacks not just one...if Cedric Benson fell to us i would expect us to pick him up and use him just as much as we use DD...i don't see a down side of Benson coming here...you can talk all you want about his slow 40 times but that doesn't mean squat to me...do you think Earl Campbell was the fastest runningback...haha...no...he was a pound it down your throat runner which we need...benson actually is very similar to Campbell in running styles...although he doesn't use that great forearm Campbell did he is still a run over you type of back...plus it's never a bad idea to have a running back from UT...just look at their track record so far:
Campbell
Priest
cough Ricky
now it's Benson's turn
Old 03-30-2005   #31
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if one of the 'big three' fall to us, we take him.
I won't waste my time trying to prognosticate DDs future performance.
I will, however, contemplate what it would mean to a team such as ours, who holds itself to be (or want to be) a running team, if our starting RB goes out for an extended period. We have NO other RB who I would feel comfortable with over any long stretch of games. Wells does well (no pun!) in spot duty, but I would not want to depend on him if he has to start too many games.
If you don't think the season would be completely SUNK if DD happens to be lost for the season early next year, you are more optimistic that I am. Of course, I know the same can be said for QB, but it's alot harder to have two starting quality QBs on your roster than RBs IMO.
I think that we could use another back, at least if it is one of the afore mentioned big three...

The obvious caveat is that RB is not a (the) priority. Still, take one of the top 3 if available.

Right? Right...

Last edited by michaelm; 03-30-2005 at 02:31 PM.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #32
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Musa Smith, Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, Chris Brown, Justin Fargas, & Artose Pinner were picked before Dom. I'd probably only rather have McGahee and Larry Johnson. I'm not too big on the other guys although some may make a case for Chris Brown (I don't care for his running style however). I don't consider this a strong RB class.
And I also believe that you have to look at the lines Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee and Chris Brown play with. Domanick Davis has nowhere near that caliber of a line.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Our run blocking is underrated. I have watched enough ball over the years to take that into account.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Our run blocking is underrated. I have watched enough ball over the years to take that into account.
It is underrated because the pass blocking sucks so badly and they get lumped together, but it still doesn't aspire to being a better than average NFL run blocking line. Last year even during the good stretch at the end of the year it was too inconsistant and would do a great job one play and then let the RB get hit 2 yards deep in the backfield. Hopefully this year they can become consistant and in the top 10 run blocking OL's--then we will see what DD, Hollings and anyone drafted (and I expect a RB to be drafted at some point this year) can do.
Old 03-30-2005   #35
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

My opinion on DD is that he is a solid 1000-1200 yard 8 td a year back consistently, now some years he may get 1400 and 12 or w/e, but what everyone is talking about is that top of the line back, the one that gets you 1500 consistently 15td's, I don't think DD will be able to do that consistently, unless we get a real good offensive line. Now we all could be wrong, he could develop more into a all-pro back. We'll just have to see..
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoCt3rJ
My opinion on DD is that he is a solid 1000-1200 yard 8 td a year back consistently, now some years he may get 1400 and 12 or w/e, but what everyone is talking about is that top of the line back, the one that gets you 1500 consistently 15td's, I don't think DD will be able to do that consistently, unless we get a real good offensive line. Now we all could be wrong, he could develop more into a all-pro back. We'll just have to see..
You're setting the bar for what is a good/franchise RB too high. In 2004 only 5 backs had 1500+ yds and only one of those had 15+ TD's. None of those had over 1500 yds in 2003. In 2003 6 backs had 1500+ yds and once again only one of those had 15+ TD's. Only two of those were repeats from 2002. In 2002 only 4 RB's had 1500+ yds with 3 having 15+ TD's as well--of course only one of those guys could repeat the 15 TD performance in 2003.
Old 03-30-2005   #37
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

if we end up needing another strong RB, go for it next year, we need a compliment for AJ and a good lineman or 2. Look at free agency, Theres anthony thomas, garrison hearst, and amos zeroue just to name a couple.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #38
outofhnd
All Pro

the only one i would fathom taking of those three is anthony thomas because he is a bulldozer back.

It might do DD good if he had a back who could bring it head on to the defense so after they have been winded from trying to bring down our power back, DD should be able to pick his way for some very nice gains.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read